Valkyria Chronicles 4 Page 3

• oldschoolsoviet 7 Oct 2018 00:39:48 6,594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm slowly working my way through (Ch7+) as finding the hour or two to get through a mission is proving tricky at the mo, but it's great.

There's a bit more leeway for now, picking up 'A' ranks even in the 5th or 6th turn, which makes a change from the ol' 3 or 4. Having the Edelweiss as a second tank has been useful, but I'm seeing maps where the APC might be more apt, and I'm going to try to get Dan in action a tad more often. But still, two tanks.... :D

Grenadiers are sufficently annoying, a nicely balanced counter to the scout-rush, and have fitted in quite well to the game, although I'm still not keen on the specific areas that require them, and the patchy aiming/accuracy issues. The 'Last-Stand' function has been hit-and-miss, as I've only had it trigger once since it's introduction, but it suppose it proves handy for preventing an actual death.

My only major niggle is that unlocking an R&D upgrade wipes the loadouts I've already set, and having to spend 10 mins re-checking and re-equipping weapons is an absolute pain. Pretty sure you had the option to equip, or it only changed those with the previous default in VC, and I like my Imperial guns dammit !

As for the cast, they're growing on me, and I'm enjoying this trio setup of characters per squad story, improving potentials in groups and cutting out some of the old grind (VC3 squad were individually unlocked, a map select screen awash with missions), and the last one I completed there actually had me properly laughing with it's revelation.

So yep, trundling along nicely, although there's a distinct lack of Valkyria so far.......
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Oct 2018 19:05:26 4,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I just did chapter 3...

I managed to make a massive fuck up with the first map picking a lancer and getting my sniper downed.

That was then compounded on the second map with Kai getting downed by a grenadier. Thankfully my lancer choice ended up being a massive success and she was able to take out their fortifications and my (non raz) assult finished them off.

Not Raz, because I didnít look at the mission and sent him running off the wrong way.

So far I am mainly levelling sniper & assult as I think they will be my main team.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Oct 2018 19:09:30 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Keep everything levelled in more or less equal proportion. The way level scaling works, that's the way it pushes you anyway.

You'll probably make the heaviest use of Scout and Shocktrooper, but all of the other classes have critical niches.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Oct 2018 14:00:55 4,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ha! Well chapter 4 is a small step up isnít it. Everyone I select has about 10 sight lines on them :/ I managed to get through to a third turn but I sent a shock trooper to deal with a lancer I had spotted and then tanks fucking appeared. Guess she is a gonna. I have sent Raz down the left hand side to deal with the anti tank guns on his lonesome and he seems to be doing quite well but mannnnn... so many enemies.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2018 14:25:53 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Chapter 4 is where things get serious. The first of its two missions, in particular, is a big step up from what has come beforehand. Everything up to that point has basically been tutorial - now the training wheels come off.

The tricks to that first Chapter 4 mission are basically:

- Use all of your classes properly, playing to their strengths and weaknesses (lancers can tear up turrets, grenadiers can kill pillboxes, scouts can rush ahead and capture camps, shocktroopers can defend your own camp, engineers keep your tanks running and your ammo-dependent classes supplied and snipers can pick off troublesome infantry who aren't behind cover.

- Remember the objective is not to kill everything on the map or capture every camp. You only need to capture the main enemy camp in the far North to win (though grabbing at least one camp on the way will be essential).

- Bring in reinforcements when you capture that first camp. In fact, consider deploying with a smaller team so you can summon more people directly to your advance camp (this is a good trick in general). More efficient in AP terms than running everybody across the field.

- Use your tank as mobile cover. It can block the fire from anti-personnel turrets without taking any damage itself.

- Don't forget the APC. The path to the final camp is absolutely murderous, with a mess of shocktroopers, mortars, pillboxes and turrets to get past. The APC can charge through a lot of that for a quick capture of the final camp.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Oct 2018 14:45:45 4,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Rogueywon I know :) i am actually pretty good at strategy games (thanks to advance wars/fire emblem).

I was just commenting on it getting a bit more sweaty lol. I have actually captured both of the first bases and will make a push from there.
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Oct 2018 16:18:54 6,594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You'll be sweating buckets after the missions I completed this morning then...... :o Multiple "oh shit" errors and restarts.

It's the one thing that still irks me, making progress only to have a table-turning event crop up, and said event being piss easy to adapt for once you know it occurs.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2018 16:22:45 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet Japanese strategy games seem to love those mid-mission "twists". The Super Robot Wars games are notorious for them, though in that case, with pretty much every mission dumping new waves of enemies on you at the mid-point, you just bake it into your tactics from the outset (e.g. by keeping a few units back to protect your capital ships and keeping a generally tight formation for the first few rounds).
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2018 02:08:07 18,910 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm probably going to eat my words here once I try it, but Chapter 4 doesn't *seem* that bad.

Like, leave a couple of units behind to guard the base, take the APC with some units up the right side and kill things, capture enemy bases, then capture the top-right base and use it for reinforcements (ie. slow units like snipers, shocktroopers and grenadiers)? If I kill those mortar things on the back hill, it shouldn't be too hard to rush to the final base.

Basically, I plan to just avoid the left side of the map entirely lol.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2018 04:49:26 18,910 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, it didn't turn out exactly as planned (in retrospect I should have deployed fewer soldiers at the start, and kept fewer around my main base, which didn't ever seem to be in trouble), but it was still a satisfying mission! After a bit of trial and error lol.

Main star players were Riley in the sniper tower killing the centre camp, Connor taking the west camp, Raz taking the east and north-east camps (and being a general grenadier and anti-tank-killing star on the back hill).

But the real star was the APC. Once I'd taken out all the grenadiers and anti-tank things on the centre path, him and a couple of passengers spent the 4th turn on a leisurely drive through a gauntlet of assault tanks and machine guns. Deposit passengers behind main enemy base, kill the guards, capture, win. \o/

Very satisfying.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 05:16:19 09-10-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Oct 2018 08:35:36 4,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I just wiped everything on the map using Kai, Riley and Claude. Raz went Rambo and took out all the anti cannon guys for me on the right and I just plowed through the centre. Didnít even need to use the APC.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 08:35:48 09-10-2018
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2018 08:38:47 18,910 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eh, I could have stayed around and killed everything, I suppose. But I was trying for a quick victory, given that time taken appears to be the main factor that determines your rank at the end of the mission.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 09:32:29 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    After a few false starts, the strategy I used for 4-1 was:

Start by deploying the leaders (Raz, Kai, Riley), plus a lancer and two scouts. At the start, use Riley to knock out a couple of pillboxes and a lancer to 1-shot the nearby anti-personnel turrets. Run a scout and capture the east camp (killing the leader-sniper in the tower).

Push fast for the first of the two middle camps. Move the tank up to provide mobile cover and knock enemies in the camp out of cover, then scout-rush it. Leave Raz to defend the base camp. Move up the APC. Summon a scout, engineer and extra grenadier to the new camp.

Second turn, rearm/repair the tank with an engineer, then use the tank to push half-way towards the second middle camp. Use Riley to snipe any enemy leaders she can see, reducing the enemy AP count. Use lancers/grenadiers to kill turrets and pillboxes respectively. Move APC up near the tank.

Third turn, roll the tank into the middle camp (spawning the enemy assault tanks, which I ignored). Move the scout from the East camp over to capture the second middle camp. Load your other scout in the APC and roll it up near the second middle camp, but keep it behind your tank. Engineer reloads the lancer and grenadiers, who then use the remaining AP to kill any remaining turrets and shocktroopers defending the final camp.

Fourth turn, ignore the friendly reinforcements and use a couple of AP with the tank and grenadiers to thin out defences around the final camp. Dash the APC into the final camp and unload the scout. Use the scout to kill surviving defenders in the final camp and then capture it.

Nice clean A-rank victory (it is only turn-count that determines your ranking).
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2018 09:39:54 18,910 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, that was slightly different to what I did, but it still (just) worked out in 4 turns. I didn't end up using Claude much - maybe I just got scared from the introduction of anti-tank gunners.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 09:44:14 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram AT guns don't seem to do all that much damage to the tank unless you give them an opportunity to hit the rear-grille. They're much more dangerous to the APC.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2018 09:54:42 18,910 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm thinking about running an engineer/grenadier combo in the APC. It's mobility, protection, firepower, point-capturing, repairs and reloads all in one!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 10:02:54 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I've used similar on later missions. The reaction fire from grenadiers means they're also good at defending points.

I'm liking how grenadiers work in this. They fit both the balance and the game-world better than the melee classes from the PSP games, which always felt daft. They're not a total counter to the scout-rush tactic, but they do blunt the edge of it (which was much needed).
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2018 10:04:48 18,910 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Personally I haven't had much luck with the grenadier reaction fire. It always seems to miss, while my guys are very often getting knocked around by enemy mortars.

Though perhaps some weapon upgrades will help somewhat.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:05:19 09-10-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 12:12:40 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I find the effectiveness of the grenadiers drops sharply at short range. They're much more effective on reaction fire at a distance (accuracy isn't perfect, but with splash damage they generally land a hit before long).

I've quite enjoyed how VC4 shakes up some of the roles a bit. The greater emphasis on destructible obstacles makes Lancers more effective in a wider range of situations, as does the increased frequency of turrets. Shocktroopers also seem slightly better in an offensive role now, having been predominantly defensive in previous instalments.

The only class that still feels very narrow in its application is the Sniper. It still suffers from the old problem of Scouts being almost as effective at range once you level them up a bit, but also considerably more versatile.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Oct 2018 12:21:28 4,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah, that was slightly different to what I did, but it still (just) worked out in 4 turns. I didn't end up using Claude much - maybe I just got scared from the introduction of anti-tank gunners.
    yeah, i am not too fussed about overall rank and just like screen clearing.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2018 13:56:04 18,910 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Part two was relatively straightforward, in that I managed to murder everyone and still get the A rank. Though I foolishly wasted a turn because I didn't realise which base I had to capture for the objective.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 14:07:35 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Yeah, 4-2 is cake compared to 4-1 (and 4-3 isn't too bad either, despite a nasty opening). It has a ridiculously generous limit for the A-rank and the best way through the mission really does seem to be a kill-em-all strategy.

A lot of the mission comes down to the last gauntlet into the final camp. Getting past that is really, really unpleasant without being able to bring at least one armoured vehicle to bear (ideally your tank). So you basically need to move a vehicle right the way along the winding path, using the "high ground" route accessed by climbing ladders to destroy AT guns before they can hit your tank.

Provided you start out with a small deployment and bring in reinforcements at interim camps along the way, the A-rank should be trivial.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Oct 2018 14:14:15 4,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Part two was relatively straightforward, in that I managed to murder everyone and still get the A rank. Though I foolishly wasted a turn because I didn't realise which base I had to capture for the objective.
    Yeah, i got a b rank even though i tend to waste the first two moves on dicking about with the wrong strategy.
  • oldschoolsoviet 9 Oct 2018 14:53:40 6,594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The only class that still feels very narrow in its application is the Sniper.
    Ch10 says hi.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 16:24:01 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet Ok, I'm not that far yet. Would be quite up for seeing snipers get their moment in the spotlight. In the first game and the PSP sequels, they often ended up an irrelevance, because cover negated them so comprehensively.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Oct 2018 22:36:53 18,910 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And 4-3 done. 5 turns only got me a B, but I think I could do it faster now that I know to get grenadiers/lancers on the southern ridge asap.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 23:02:13 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Fortunately, unlike the first game in the series, you can replay main-plot missions at will. A poor rating need not be a permanent blot on your record. :)
  • oldschoolsoviet 9 Oct 2018 23:19:11 6,594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I.....haven't even attempted that, thought it would be unlocked post-game like the original.

Guess I'll be skipping back to a few taunting B's, if only for the weapon/recruit rewards.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 23:22:17 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet I triggered it by accident and got quite the shock when it actually took me into the mission briefing. As farming for cash/xp goes, it's generally worse than the skirmishes, because you can usually finish those in one turn.

But it's fantastic for farming rank for your soldiers to unlock the squad stories, or for generally getting characters up to corporal to enable their squad command ability.

For reference, to get a character from new recruit to corporal, you have to acquire 40 rank points on them. Every time you spend an AP on a character in a skirmish, you get 1 point. In a squad story you get 1.5 points. But in a plot mission you get 2 points (so you only need to use a character 20 times to max their rank).
  • oldschoolsoviet 9 Oct 2018 23:58:59 6,594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I've not really delved into that grind yet, but I know the system. Harsh memories of getting folk killed, recovering with the next, in a chain of death for the bonus it provided.

Just saw chat about 'beach' DLC that launched this evening after catching Mr Dark Souls ENB streaming a bit of this, somewhat of a departure ! £5.79 for a pair of missions and swimsuits, typical 'ehh' fare, but I'm struggling between supporting the hell out of this, or feeling terrible and hoping for a discount/bundle in the distant future.

Guess I'll sleep on it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.