Google Home

First Previous
  • General_Martok 1 Dec 2017 09:14:15 620 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't think there's a thread about these?

Anyone else have one? I bought 2 minis last night. Impressed so far apart from the lack of calling functionality (yet).

Amazed at how loud and clear it is too!

Looking forward to tieing it up to some smart things and pretending I'm on starship! :p
  • brokenkey 1 Dec 2017 09:23:32 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I got one in April. It's great. Mine calls me Darling.

Ask it to sing Happy Birthday.

When outside the house, annoy the people you live with by going to google assistant, and saying

"ok google, broadcast I'm on my way home"
  • Deleted user 1 December 2017 09:25:30
    I've got one coming soon with my new Pixel phone, I don't have any smart stuff to connect it to though so it's just a glorified speaker, and I bought one of those a couple of months ago. :(
  • brokenkey 1 Dec 2017 09:35:18 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mine isn't connected to any smart stuff either. But you can ask it to tell you a joke. And we dumped the digital radio, because asking it to stream something is easier than navigating buttons.
  • Tonka 1 Dec 2017 09:38:38 29,524 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They're not available in Sweden yet but I'll buy one for the find my phone feature alone. I also know it would get a lot of use as an eggtimer in the kitchen.

The Chromecast audio integration is nice too. And the dicerolling

"OK google, roll a D14!"
  • Deleted user 1 December 2017 09:40:14
    Don't know if you have this problem, but I can't for the life of me get Assistant to play me music from my Google Play Music library. On my phone for now, but I'd assume the same would be true on the speaker. Every permutation of 'play (song) from Google Play Music' just takes me to Youtube, even though it recognises the song and it's right there.
  • brokenkey 1 Dec 2017 09:46:23 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ah, yes its very fussy.

If you're a Play Music (PM) subscriber, you can do everything.

If you aren't, Home will play *specific* or single tracks that you ask for, from your personal library. If you want it to play an album, you have to set it up as a playlist in PM, and then ask home to play your [name] playlist.

Assistant on your phone won't play stuff from your personal library though. Also Assistant on phone won't play radio stations if you aren't a PM subscriber, but Home will.
  • Deleted user 1 December 2017 09:53:27
    Ah cool, thanks for the info! :) Very silly that you can't play the song that's sitting right there on the phone, seeing as that's probably the main reason I'd want to use Assistant, but good to know there's a reason at least.
  • General_Martok 1 Dec 2017 10:13:20 620 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've tried Spotify streaming and works great!

I don't actually have any smart stuff I'm intending on buying some hues cause the light switches in our new place are in retarded places.

Still only 12 hours into my life with these things though so it could just be novelty :)
  • mrpon 1 Dec 2017 10:20:27 35,207 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Try Lifx bulbs, slightly more expensive than Hues but you don't need the extra hub. They also offer a cool infra-red light feature, apparently.
  • Tonka 1 Dec 2017 10:26:20 29,524 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think the IKEA lightbulbs will become compatible soonish.
  • mrpon 1 Dec 2017 11:28:40 35,207 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like the idea of them coming on once your phone is within range of your wifi.
  • Dougs 1 Dec 2017 11:30:08 89,122 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No Deezer support yet. Get tae fuck
  • Dougs 1 Dec 2017 11:31:29 89,122 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I like the idea of them coming on once your phone is within range of your wifi.
    Is there a setting to make my wife turn the lights off?
  • brokenkey 1 Dec 2017 12:33:44 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I've got Deezer listed as supported on my Home app.

Edited by brokenkey at 12:35:14 01-12-2017
  • trav 1 Dec 2017 12:42:34 988 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Still waiting on the code for a free mini with my Pixel phone. Hoping it turns up soon.
  • RedPanda87 1 Dec 2017 13:43:56 1,885 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looking forward to when my Sonos One gets updated to support Google Assistant, will be interested to see whether I switch from Alexa. My guess would be not (I like Alexa's voice more, which possibly matters more to me than functionality) but I'll definitely be giving it a try.
  • Tonka 1 Dec 2017 13:56:10 29,524 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Stranded87 didn't one or the other of Amazon or Google say they didn't allow people to use their assistant on devices with the other assistant on it?
  • RedPanda87 1 Dec 2017 14:15:44 1,885 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Tonka wouldn't surprise me, but Sonos reckons it's in the works. We will see.
  • Tonka 1 Dec 2017 16:19:05 29,524 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Poor Sonos. So fucked.
  • monkehhh 1 Dec 2017 19:11:37 5,092 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got a free Mini with the Pixel, stuck it in the kitchen and it's not bad. Girlfriend was impressed with it being able to answer a simple "Is Sainsburys shut?". Play Music integration works well and it's nice that you can just use like an Chromecast audio when you're not talking to it. Definitely tempted by a full size one when we've got a bigger open living space.
  • Dougs 2 Dec 2017 06:07:29 89,122 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Hmm, I couldn't see it there at all. And no way to add it either.

Edited by Dougs at 06:56:40 02-12-2017
  • Zyrr 2 Dec 2017 06:55:45 376 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We've got four: a big one in the kitchen and three minis in other rooms. We have a bunch of Hue bulbs and some smart sockets, every TV has a Chromecast and there's a couple of Chromecast Audios.

I wasn't sure how useful it would be when I bought the first one, but I use them every day for various tasks and I'm now looking at the Samsung Smartthings range and other stuff like smart light switches that use IFTTT to expand the smart home functionality.

I'm such a massive sucker for this stuff :D
  • brokenkey 2 Dec 2017 08:26:40 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Hmm, I couldn't see it there at all. And no way to add it either.
    My route to fine it is

Launch Home,
    Browse
    Music (little button bottom left)
    More..... And it's listed there.
  • Tonka 2 Dec 2017 08:30:31 29,524 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It might be region locking. I get a link to TuneIn and nothing else.

I already have Spotify set up.
  • Dougs 2 Dec 2017 10:21:15 89,122 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @brokenkey yeah I can find it like that, but it doesn't play via voice control - says 'not available in your country'. It'll open on my phone but that's it. Maybe it's different on the speakers... Was really just trialling it via Assistant.
  • Tonka 3 Jan 2018 07:24:57 29,524 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I got a Home Mini as christmas gift from the company and only set it up last night. Surprisingly sensiteve microphones and impressive sound for such a small device.

I could change YouTube videos on the TV from upstairs with the mini in the kitchen downstairs. Most impressive was how I could set a geolocation reminder (just for me) whilst brushing my teeth with an electric toothbrush.

Not too happy with how it handles cooking timers. I wish they had an interactive element where it would tell me my timer was done and wait for me to confirm that I had heard it.

Now it started bleating and I would have to tell it to shut up. A "Your potato timer is done, should I turn off the alarm?" interaction is what I'm after.

It was also unnecessary fiddly to get the fucker to play music on itself rather than cast to the living room stereo.

"Hey Google, play some music in the Kitchen"
    "OK, playing the playlist Kitchen songs on the Livingroom speaker"

Edited by Tonka at 07:40:46 03-01-2018
  • Tonka 4 Jan 2018 21:45:34 29,524 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is rather cool

Say "Hey Google, talk to Mystery Animal" to your Google home and it will start a 20 questions game. But you get to ask the questions.

Rather impressive.
  • askew 4 Jan 2018 21:59:12 19,077 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I shall give that a whirl! Was gifted a Home Mini for Christmas, though the fact I use G-Suite rather than bog-standard Gmail/Calendar means some functionality doesn't work quite right :(
  • askew 4 Jan 2018 21:59:35 19,077 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I liked it talking me through a recipe the other night, though.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.