Enter the Gungeon

First Previous
  • CompetitiveDad 21 Dec 2017 09:48:03 8,150 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is brilliant and so much fun to play, only reached the second chamber for the first time this morning and got destroyed in the second room by what I can only describe as the chokey from Matilda that fired rockets!! Got caught out big time.

I followed the advice given by Duffking in the other thread but thought I'd create its own here.

Please feel free to post anymore help! Enjoy..

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 09:48:42 21-12-2017
  • pogomeister 21 Dec 2017 09:52:24 1,691 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Watch out for holes in the floor! I keep missing these and dying.
  • Deleted user 21 December 2017 09:55:29
    I found the hidden floor on floor 1 yesterday. I now know how this links up with the Altar you come across (I think)
    As for main progress I seem to be getting to the 3rd floor quite often but still failing to reach the boss. It's steady progress though as I couldn't even get past the 1st floor boss a couple of days ago.
  • CompetitiveDad 21 Dec 2017 09:57:53 8,150 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was looking at the map and didn't realise you could move in game at the same time and fell to my death!
  • CompetitiveDad 21 Dec 2017 09:59:56 8,150 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy_B I got lucky this morning as I haven't been able to defeat the bullet king or the gull and ended up with the bullet twins which I thought were the easiest by far.

I haven't really had any decent weapons yet but that's likely to be as I haven't got very far!

Enjoyed the sniper rifle the most

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 10:00:10 21-12-2017
  • Deleted user 21 December 2017 10:11:43
    @CompetitiveDad

I actually used to think the bullet twins were the hardest. Not too bad now. I think the bullet king helps you hone your dodgeroll as it is needed on him at times. I've had some pretty cool weapons now and unlocked quite a lot.
    Mainly using the Marine but I find the pilots discount handy and I also like the hunter with her crossbow.
  • CompetitiveDad 21 Dec 2017 11:13:45 8,150 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does the game remember your progress? I don't mean in a start you at the same level but does it make the game more difficult as you start getting better? Could swear the first floor has a lot more varied enemies and more drops
  • CompetitiveDad 21 Dec 2017 11:17:15 8,150 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Get in beat Gatlin Gull for the first time!!
  • Duffking 21 Dec 2017 11:30:25 16,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad I don't think the room pools change at all, just the item pool gets bigger

What I like about this game is that weapons etc have predetermined quality which means them adding weapons to the game doesn't do what it does in Isaac and introduce more dependence on good RNG, you open a red chest in this you get an A tier item, the end.
  • Duffking 21 Dec 2017 13:20:31 16,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm on the 4th floor right now. No key in the shop, 5 chests (1 in secret room, 2 chest rooms, 2 spawned), NO FUCKING KEYS.
  • richyroo 21 Dec 2017 13:22:35 365 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got to the 4th floor boss last night. Actually started this floor with full health and 2 armour. It did feel though that a lot of this was to do with luck and drops, although I'm sure skill played a little part. The boss slaughtered me though in not knowing what to expect.

I usually just get to the second floor before I die. The enemies that give me the biggest issue is the medieval "iron maiden" coffin like enemies. Such a pain in the bum.

The game is ace though and throws something new into every game. I dont normally like procedurally generated games but this feels fresh each game. Love it.
  • monkman76 21 Dec 2017 13:27:23 14,722 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great this isn't it. I need to get better at flipping tables for cover, as that can be really useful.
  • monkman76 21 Dec 2017 13:28:41 14,722 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is really useful Duff, hope you don't mind me cross-quoting:

Duffking wrote:
    @bef well, first I recommend the marine. He's pretty vanilla, but also relatively free of crutches so you won't become dependent on them when it's time to play other characters. His passive accuracy buff is generally really helpful too and he has the best starter pistol. The pilot is decent mainly for his lockpick, but I'm not a huge fan of active abilities like that as if you get another one from a chest you then have to choose, and his pistol is crap. The Hunter just seems a bit weak to me, while the Convict is ok but the shotgun she has is worthless and the passive ability requires getting hit to activate, which is what you want to not be doing, especially against bosses so you can get the master rounds.

The shop is guaranteed to sell you a key if you didn't already have a key spawn on the floor you're on already. That being said, don't buy keys from the shop until you've cleared the floor completely, including the boss, as you never know when one will drop. Of course if you're really hurting for good weapons and there's a good chest, you can think about buying a key.

Chest colour indicates quality, Brown < Blue < Green < Red < Black iirc. As a rule I don't bother wasting keys on brown chests as their contents are almost always shitty.

And yeah, you'll only find new guns in chests, shops or drops from bosses.

Once you're making it to the later floors regularly you might want to look up where to get the 4 pieces of the bullet that can kill time as well.
  • monkman76 21 Dec 2017 13:30:44 14,722 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also

Duffking wrote:
    @Addy_B the altar has a secret purpose relating to a secret floor (basically floor 1.5) that you can access from the first floor.

The cellar guy will take junk off you. You get junk by shooting chests until they break rather than spending a key on them, which I do for brown chests. You can drop stuff from the map screen.

The muncher will give you a gun of a quality between the two guns you feed it, inclusive. Basically Brown chests give d quality loot, blues give c quality and so on. Feed it a c and a d and you'll get either a c or a d back. The idea is to feed it empty guns or two bad ones in the hope of something better.
  • Deleted user 21 December 2017 13:34:45
    Yeah I only buy keys if you end up with one of those runs with several chests on a floor. Last night I got a big red chest, 2 green and a blue all on the first floor.
  • Duffking 21 Dec 2017 13:42:15 16,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just went to the Marine's past for the first time.

Almost won but died because the fucker put dangerous floor underneath my feet and I couldn't see it through the bullet spam

Oh well, at least I've got the 4 parts now so I don't need to collect them again and can go there every time now.

Edited by Duffking at 13:43:16 21-12-2017
  • Deleted user 21 December 2017 13:45:42
    @Duffking

Spoiler if you must but once you've finished a run...what then? Just wondered if it opens up or anything in particular happens.
  • Duffking 21 Dec 2017 13:55:50 16,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Addy_B well, the first time you finish a run... nothing will happen, bar some cryptic text telling you there's more that needs doing

If you explore the 5th floor you'll meet an NPC who'll tell you that what needs doing is collecting the 4 piece of the bullet that can kill the past, one piece of which lies on each from from the second floor onward. You need to bring those to the NPC over a few runs.

Once you've done that, rather than ending after the final boss, you'll travel to your character's past and have to kill their past. I never actually collected the 4 bullet pieces in 20 hours of the PC version but I've somehow managed it in only 10 runs of the switch version.

As far as I know, after killing all 4 characters pasts there's a 6th floor which unlocks, plus there's various other unlockables like boss rushes and special challenge modes etc.

Edited by Duffking at 13:56:07 21-12-2017
  • Deleted user 21 December 2017 13:59:26
    @Duffking

Cheers matey. It's not really spoiled it as I asked the same about Isaac. I like knowing what I'm working towards and want to make sure I'm not aimlessly repeating something when I should be doing X to achieve Y etc. On Isaac I would never have known how to unlock certain things without googling. I've not finished a run on this yet though so I'll think about the rest after.
  • UncleLou Moderator 21 Dec 2017 14:01:11 40,158 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I am (still) hilariously horrible at this, or rather, the bosses*. I think I need to file this under "great, but too hard for me", alongside Spelunky (and many others).

*I would guess I have a 1 out of 5 success ratio on the first level (!) boss
  • Duffking 21 Dec 2017 14:04:47 16,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Addy_B yeah, I'd say once you're reaching the 4th floor regularly it's worth looking up where the bullet pieces are.

If you want to know now -

1. The primer is sold in the shop on the second floor for 110 coins

2. The arcane gunpowder is in the room on the third floor with all the mine carts that appear to be floating

3. The planar lead is in the room on the fourth floor which appears to have nothing in it but a giant empty chasm

4. The obsidian casing is inside the skull of the last boss, blow it up after you kill him

For 2 and 3 you get them by moving the carts along invisible tracks and rolling from cart to cart to reach the platform and either using an ability that gives you flight or firing your default pistol repeatedly so the shell casings will land on the invisible path so you can find the way through, respectively.

I'm not actually sure if you can get them all in one run, you might be able to though.

Edited by Duffking at 14:05:54 21-12-2017
  • CompetitiveDad 21 Dec 2017 14:06:58 8,150 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    @CompetitiveDad I don't think the room pools change at all, just the item pool gets bigger

What I like about this game is that weapons etc have predetermined quality which means them adding weapons to the game doesn't do what it does in Isaac and introduce more dependence on good RNG, you open a red chest in this you get an A tier item, the end.
    Cheers for this
  • CompetitiveDad 21 Dec 2017 14:09:37 8,150 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    Yeah I only buy keys if you end up with one of those runs with several chests on a floor. Last night I got a big red chest, 2 green and a blue all on the first floor.
    I never realised until playing this morning that keys, health etc.. can be dropped!! I sort of stumbled across one doh!

Do you spend credits at the big dude or is that only those bullets shells?
  • quadfather 21 Dec 2017 14:15:13 34,489 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I am (still) hilariously horrible at this, or rather, the bosses*. I think I need to file this under "great, but too hard for me", alongside Spelunky (and many others).

*I would guess I have a 1 out of 5 success ratio on the first level (!) boss
    I was considering this game until I read your post.

I will be exactly the same, skill wise :)
  • Duffking 21 Dec 2017 14:17:48 16,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The bullet shells are credits/currency.

Keep an eye on the map, it'll show you if a chest/key dropped or something like that.

I actually buy keys quite a lot just in case the next floor doesn't give me one.

There's a hidden mechanic called coolness which increases post-room drop chances. Basically some items will increase it. There's also curse which some items also increase, which increases some chances and severely decreases others.

Speaking of which, you'll get more money if you clear rooms without taking damage.
  • Dirtbox 21 Dec 2017 14:34:19 91,099 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think this game is basically just too hard, I'm no spring chicken, but I'm no slouch either and in the year I've been playing this I've never completed a run. Mostly because I gave up on it maybe, but for a game that blabbers on about how many guns there are, you rarely get to see more than a few before you die and at no point do you feel particularly powerful. It's just pointlessly stingy.

Why did this need a new thread btw, it's the identical game.

Edited by Dirtbox at 14:34:59 21-12-2017
  • Deleted user 21 December 2017 14:40:33
    @Dirtbox

I'm not sure in regards to difficulty. I mean it took me quite some time to get my first mom kill on Isaac and at times felt I'd never do it. I can see that I'm progressing on this now and I'm actually seeing a good variety of guns. Problem I have is, because I'm saving these guns for bosses and dying before I get there, I'm not giving them a good tryout so in that regard I kinda of agree with you.

Still in a few more hours of a non successful run I might just change my tune and think Fuck this game!
  • Rhaegyr 21 Dec 2017 14:40:59 4,734 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah it's incredibly difficult - I've done a Lost run on BoI to completion but never even got to the end of this.

There wasn't enough variety in the rooms and enemies to keep me coming back either; a damn shame as the moment to moment gameplay is ace.
  • CompetitiveDad 21 Dec 2017 14:53:10 8,150 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

Why did this need a new thread btw, it's the identical game.
    Switch Master Race

I couldn't find the original thread!
  • Duffking 21 Dec 2017 14:55:15 16,160 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I agree it's significantly harder than the Binding of Isaac, but I don't think it's too hard. I think because of the reduced focus on pure RNG (it's rare that you'll get carried through a run on good drops) in this game it's more dependent on your core grip of the game's mechanics. I feel like I make the last floor of this game more consistently than I reach the Chest on BoI's hard difficulty, in which I feel like I generally need to be at least partially carried there by a strong synergy. I could feasibly get a long way through this game with just the marine's pistol but couldn't imagine doing something equivalent in BoI.

It's just a different skill set IMO, primarily teaching yourself to read rooms as quickly as possible to identify good cover spots, picking the right weapon from what you have, and perhaps most importantly, learnning not to use the dodge roll as a panic button and weave instead. I think if you can reliably get the master round on the first floor and frequently on either the second or third you're probably in good stead to make it to the end reasonably frequently.

Even if Wallmonger is fucking bullshit.

Edited by Duffking at 14:56:13 21-12-2017
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.