Enter the Gungeon Page 3

• Deleted user 22 December 2017 14:54:31
    I had an item the other day that made bullets fire back at the enemy when rolled through. That was quite handy.
  • Deleted user 22 December 2017 16:09:44
    So I was navigating a floor earlier and then one room I entered appeared to be a boss room and some sorcerer type dude just spawned. I managed to kill him and he dropped various items
    Never seen that before though and don't know if I did anything to trigger him appearing or if it was just random.
  • Duffking 22 Dec 2017 17:40:22 16,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Addy_B was that the purple guy? He can show up randomly anywhere on floors 2-5 I think

There's a couple that can, but I think you have to unlock them, for example blockner can be unlocked by finding the secret room in the tutorial (use a blank by the cracked wall), collecting his stuff, then he'll randomly appear somewhere on a future run, talk to him, challenge him to a fight, win, and then he can randomly replace a room in the future.
  • Deleted user 22 December 2017 17:42:56
    @Duffking

It was mate. I didn't even know there was such a secret in the tutorial. I'll have to go and take a look. As for secret rooms I don't think I've uncovered one yet.
  • richyroo 22 Dec 2017 18:26:27 364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had my best run just now and got to the 5th floor.

I unlocked my favourite and most useful gun so far....the fightsabre. Powerful, large clip, large bullets and to top it off the reload is a lightsabre that reflects all bullets.....super helpful and helped me survive a lot.

Can anyone tell me what happened though. On the 4th floor I bought an item from the shop (cannot remember which one), and then the grim reaper proceded to chase me across the map. It completely ruined my 5th floor as it made me rush through.
  • Duffking 22 Dec 2017 19:48:55 16,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Addy_B the one in the tutorial is really easy to find since the wall is already cracked for you, it's in the left of the two rooms you can go into at the end
  • Duffking 22 Dec 2017 19:51:40 16,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @richyroo that happened because you accumulated 10 curse. Certain items and actions will increase it by various amounts; you'll know this has happened because you'll see a little purple skull appear above your character momentarily. There's also a certain vendor for whom buying anything from will increase it too, and by quite a lot.

It's basically a trade off mechanic where many items with very powerful effects also increase your curse, which increases the chance of finding money and ammo but decreases the chance of key spawns etc.

Edited by Duffking at 19:53:33 22-12-2017
  • Deleted user 22 December 2017 19:54:09
    @Duffking

I'll have a gander in a bit, cheers.
  • richyroo 22 Dec 2017 21:14:43 364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Duffking

Thanks for that explanation. I wondered what that icon was which keeps appearing above my head. Its great how you uncover new things all the time.

I just reached floor 5 again and managed to clear a good deal of it. Slowly getting better, but at least the first couple of floors feel fairly easy now.

Edited by richyroo at 21:18:05 22-12-2017
  • monkman76 22 Dec 2017 21:16:30 14,714 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    faily easy
    Agree with that.
  • richyroo 22 Dec 2017 21:18:44 364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @monkman76 lol an appropriate typo.
  • Dirtbox 22 Dec 2017 21:43:23 91,097 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    I think that Kotaku article might be on the money on some of the changes - I reckon the game is a little more generous with the money drops and I think chests drop a little more frequently too. I noticed chest rooms tend to have teleporters inside now as well if there isn't one in an adjacent room which I don't think used to be the case.
    Yeah, I just killed the past for 2 characters and had an average of 2 guns and a trinket per floor, not to mention room drops appear to be roughly double now. It's easier by far.
  • Deleted user 22 December 2017 21:56:44
    Well holy shit I'm crap then lol.
  • Dirtbox 22 Dec 2017 22:10:19 91,097 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nah, I already have about 6 months of going at it hammer and tongs under my belt.
  • Duffking 22 Dec 2017 22:15:14 16,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @richyroo nice. You should consider looking up how to make the bullet that can kill time now that you're making it to floor 5 occasionally. It'll save you some time in the long run.
  • Deleted user 22 December 2017 22:26:10
    I think my crutch is playing portable mode. I can't aim or get my dodge roll on as good with the triggers or small sticks. I play a lot better with the pro controller.
    I might have to see if there's any decent thumbstick style grips or something.
  • Dirtbox 22 Dec 2017 22:36:31 91,097 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    @richyroo nice. You should consider looking up how to make the bullet that can kill time now that you're making it to floor 5 occasionally. It'll save you some time in the long run.
    Yeah, a question about that, the smith tells you that you have a few, how many do you have before you need to make more? They're a pain to get all the parts for.
  • Duffking 22 Dec 2017 22:53:07 16,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Dirtbox as far as I know once you've built it once, that's it - you never need to collect the parts again. That's what the wiki says anyway.
  • Duffking 22 Dec 2017 22:54:16 16,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Addy_B one thing on dodge rolling, I actually recommend trying to dodge roll as little as possible. I tend to save it for when there's the actual unavoidable patterns or really desperate moments. The game feels like it rewards good movement better than accurate shooting, if you practice keeping your distance, using cover and weaving around shots rather than dodge rolling them you should find you don't need to roll that much!
  • Deleted user 22 December 2017 23:36:18
    Cheers for the tips. I really do suck balls at this game but I can't stop playing it at the moment.
  • Dirtbox 23 Dec 2017 02:52:32 91,097 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, a lot of attacks, especially from bosses are timed so a second wave hits you as you're recovering from the first roll. Learn who to roll against and who to dodge.
  • Deleted user 23 December 2017 08:17:08
    I just seem to lose my shit in just 1 room of a floor and it messes my entire run up. Last night it was floor 3. I could pretty much get there with 4 hearts + 1-2 armour, a few guns etc and I'd inexplicably just start having reactions like I was walking in treacle and just not keeping it together. Lose a bit of health which in turn just fucks me up for the boss fight.

No matter. I'll get there. It took me a looong time to get my shit together on Isaac. All good fun though.
  • DangerousDave_87 23 Dec 2017 08:39:11 5,912 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is this more difficult than Spelunky? I think that took me a good 200 - 300 attempts to compete first time. The game was pretty good at rubbing that sort of information in your face! :D

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 08:39:22 23-12-2017
  • Deleted user 23 December 2017 08:41:58
    I think we should stick to hitting balls with flippers Dave :D it's the only thing I think I can be half decent at...... occasionally.
  • richyroo 23 Dec 2017 09:30:47 364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another bit of advice, when you dodge roll, roll INTO the bullets and NOT away from them. Just make sure there isnt a second wave of bullets that you will roll into though.

I agree that the dodge roll is a last resort. Making effective use of cover and keeping distance is the way to go.

What I hate is when I go through a door and find myself in a tight space with enemies close. That requires quick thinking and movement to get away from the immediate danger.
  • richyroo 23 Dec 2017 09:34:05 364 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Addy_B

I tried playing this in portable mode and was really rubbish at it. My hands also cramped up, its just not comfortable trying to use the right stick effectively along with the right bumper as much as you need to in this game.

I only ever play with the pro controller now and use portable mode just for a bit of fun with no expectations of actually making it very far.

I'd take my hat off to anyone who can complete this using the joycons.

Edited by richyroo at 09:35:05 23-12-2017
  • Duffking 23 Dec 2017 11:15:33 16,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    richyroo wrote:What I hate is when I go through a door and find myself in a tight space with enemies close. That requires quick thinking and movement to get away from the immediate danger.
    Use the weapon switch slowdown to your advantage, hold down switch weapon every time you enter a room!

Addy_B wrote:
    I just seem to lose my shit in just 1 room of a floor and it messes my entire run up. Last night it was floor 3. I could pretty much get there with 4 hearts + 1-2 armour, a few guns etc and I'd inexplicably just start having reactions like I was walking in treacle and just not keeping it together. Lose a bit of health which in turn just fucks me up for the boss fight.
    That's what killed me the most starting out on the PC version, clearing the first few floors reliably then just losing my mind in one room and wasting it all.

Just cleared the Hunter's past, just leaves the convict of the 4 starting characters now.
  • Deleted user 23 December 2017 11:54:43
    @Duffking

This works even if you haven't got a secondary weapon? The weapon switch thing? I'll give that a whirl.
  • Duffking 23 Dec 2017 12:02:11 16,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah only if you have a second gun. Some characters start with one though, but you shouldn't encounter too many instant swarm rooms on floor 1 anyway.
  • CompetitiveDad 23 Dec 2017 15:13:29 8,150 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can feel myself getting better at this, however those teleporters are not to save you time but in fact to save you from yourself when you switch off after clearing a room only to be strolling through it again without a care in the world and to be killed by some pissing spikes whilst nipping to the shop to purchase some health!!!!!

Just had a good run by my current standards only for it to be cut short by a bloody MIMIC!!!! /o\

I love this game :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.