Enter the Gungeon Page 4

• CompetitiveDad 23 Dec 2017 15:21:16 8,168 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also great advice on using the bullet time for scouting out a room. Very handy.

Didn't realise you could have more than 3 hearts! Doh
  • richyroo 23 Dec 2017 16:06:26 375 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I quickly learnt to shoot every chest before opening
  • Deleted user 23 December 2017 16:12:04
    Yeah I do that all the time now.
  • Duffking 23 Dec 2017 17:07:42 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All 4 pasts killed! Don't like playing as Convict so glad that's over. Never touching that shit again.
  • Deleted user 23 December 2017 18:00:24
    Duffking wrote:
    All 4 pasts killed! Don't like playing as Convict so glad that's over. Never touching that shit again.
    Sorry I'm sure you've mentioned this before. Do the past playthroughs come into play once you've finished a run? Can't remember what the gist was now.
  • Duffking 23 Dec 2017 18:11:04 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    Duffking wrote:
    Sorry I'm sure you've mentioned this before. Do the past playthroughs come into play once you've finished a run? Can't remember what the gist was now.
    You need to build the bullet that can kill the past by bringing the 4 pieces to the blacksmith on floor 5, then on future runs collect it from her, then kill the final boss.

I just went to bullet hell for the first time. That's going to take some beating.
  • Deleted user 23 December 2017 18:14:01
    @Duffking

Yes sorry you have told me that before.
  • Deleted user 24 December 2017 09:58:08
    Had another session last night. Didn't finish a run but I rescued several npc's so I have extra store options and others back in the breach. I kept coming across a mine cart room which I'm pretty convinced leads to some secret area but barely had any health so didn't want to risk rolling into the other carts.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2017 10:51:37
    I've only managed to get to the second floor boss. He just caught me by surprise and I fucked up :(
  • Deleted user 27 December 2017 13:53:09
    I'm not doing too much better, I've had the game for months and have never gotten past the 3rd floor boss. As soon as it gets all bullet hell I'm fucked.
  • Duffking 27 Dec 2017 14:07:18 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One tip is to not really look at the boss that much in those situations but where you are. Focus on moving over shooting.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2017 16:42:59
    I'll try and be a bit more patient. My first thoughts are getting a big gun and going to town...
  • richyroo 27 Dec 2017 22:08:47 375 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I got to the 5th level boss the other day and was so frickin close to killing it. AAGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a super powerful rocket launcher and an item which allowed me to fire 3 rockets at a time and a potion which increased damage. Without this combo I probably wouldnt of made it past level 4
  • Duffking 28 Dec 2017 14:41:06 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Unlocked all the characters now. Almost did the past for one first run and even killed the floor 5 boss flawlessly but apparently the switch version has a bug where the game crashes on that characters past. Booo.
  • Duffking 29 Dec 2017 17:54:08 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ugh, fuck the bullet's past.
  • Dirtbox 29 Dec 2017 17:57:19 91,192 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The bullet doesn't seem to want to appear for me, I still haven't managed to unlock it.
  • Duffking 29 Dec 2017 17:59:35 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you know how it works for unlocking him? I didn't really notice the trigger until it was pointed out to me.

I wouldn't worry too much to be honest, it's an incredibly boring character to play. The robot is more interesting.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2017 18:07:51
    Ugh Iím about to give up.
  • Dirtbox 29 Dec 2017 18:55:02 91,192 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Do you know how it works for unlocking him? I didn't really notice the trigger until it was pointed out to me.

I wouldn't worry too much to be honest, it's an incredibly boring character to play. The robot is more interesting.
    You have to find a bullet with a cape who just appears like a regular bullet, but you don't kill him, just let him wander round. He doesn't shoot. I want his sword, you can swipe away incoming bullets with it.
  • Dirtbox 29 Dec 2017 18:58:58 91,192 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Only recently realised what unclelou was going on about regarding the PC versions auto aim being "generous". He must have set the auto aim slider to the top at some point, it's quite low by default.
  • Duffking 29 Dec 2017 19:26:11 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Dirtbox yeah that's it. I don't find him much fun in practice as it encourages you to clear rather than dodge and use one weapon all rum... Gets a bit dull.
  • Dirtbox 29 Dec 2017 20:27:10 91,192 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's just another challenge. I haven't unlocked the robot either, not looked into how to do that.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2017 20:35:00
    LelandPalmer wrote:
    Ugh Iím about to give up.
    I hear ya. I'm having a hiatus from it as I've a fire emblem to play and end is nigh still to finish. I can't get beyond the 4th floor but most of the time crash and burn on the 3rd. Very cool game though.
  • richyroo 29 Dec 2017 22:37:40 375 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Addy_B

Ive managaed to get to the 5th floor a few times and the last boss once (I think due to lucky items).

I dont think I will ever complete it but it will be fun just to drop in for a game now and then. Still, I only paid £4.50 for it so money well spent.
  • Duffking 30 Dec 2017 00:43:36 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right, that's the bullet's past killed. Trick is to bring a shitload of blanks in with you and just spam them on the little shit.
  • Duffking 31 Dec 2017 10:48:34 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, the thing with loot in this game is that it's pretty consistent - different colour chests will always give a different quality of item from D to S tier. Brown chests give D, Blue give C, Green give B, Red give A and Black give S. Pretty much better than D is usable in my experience, but some D loot is good too. Bosses always drop A/S loot. On the first 3 floors 90% of loot should be better than D tier, and from 3 onward 68% of it will be B or better.

With that consistency in quality of what you get in mind, you shouldn't feel like you're relying on amazing luck to get a good distance through. It'll happen occasionally, but the generic luck you're getting is basically what the game is designed around. Most of the time you won't get incredibly powerful drops, it wants you to do better with the mostly average things you normally find. So rather I'd say it's the opposite of being dependent on luck than skill - those lucky runs should be few and far between, and it's your ability to avoid getting hit which carries you through this game.

In games like the Binding of Isaac I feel like I'm wholly dependent on a number of good drops to make it through to the end, but in this now I'm back in the groove I would estimate I make the end 95% of the time regardless of weapon drops.

The quickest ways to make it easier for yourself are usually to learn to dodge roll less and weave/use cover more, keep your distance as much as possible and saving blanks so that you can kill early bosses without taking a hit (which gives you bonus health containers).

I'd recommend using someone like the Marine who has the most solid starting weapon and accuracy/reload buff on every weapon. His gun is adequate for clearing the first 2/3 floors though it's not amazing at killing bosses. If you practice getting as far as you can with just his starter gun you might be surprised how far you can get, since doing that can teach you a lot about using cover and keeping your distance.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2017 11:44:37
    I dunno I get guns just as much as other items on my runs.
  • Duffking 31 Dec 2017 11:47:40 16,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well that actually does sound like bad luck. There are more passives etc than there were at launch I think but the vast majority of stuff you find should be guns. Very occasionally I've had runs heavy on passive/active items but usually there's something like +1 bullets mixed in that eases things a bit.

You could try playing as the pilot, cheaper shops mean you can just buy guns if you're short.

Edited by Duffking at 11:49:03 31-12-2017

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.