Following Assassin's Creed Origins

First Previous
  • Switch024 29 Dec 2017 11:14:12 3,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seems like the original thread isn't returning...

Got this for Christmas and have just got to Alexandria. So far it's been absolutely fantastic and I don't want to put it down.

The world looks incredible, seems like it's absolutely huge and is a joy to explore, the quests are enjoyable and there's a good amount of variety to them. The story is decent, the main character easily the best since Ezio and the added RPG elements really help to add some depth to the gameplay. It'a completely surpassed my expectations.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Dec 2017 11:28:41 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What happened to the original one then?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Dec 2017 11:31:23 24,280 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Goodform made it before he went full Weinstein and got banned. There's another one kicking about somewhere that people have been using I think.
  • foster2007 29 Dec 2017 11:34:32 326 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is this game worth it?

I have skipped all assassins creeds since 4 as I got sick of the formula.
  • Tuffty 29 Dec 2017 11:34:45 4,479 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wait, what happened with Goodform? I thought if he was going to be banned for anything it would be his incessant in depth analysis on how you can improve games by making them easier for him to play and harder for anyone else.

Anyway, really enjoying AC Origins so far. It has the same trappings of an AC game but is more closer to The Witcher than anything else. It's just different enough to feel like a decent shake up of the formula. Plus, Bayek is a fantastic protaganist with his wife Aya also very well realised. Would definitely recommend checking it out.

Edited by Tuffty at 11:36:38 29-12-2017
  • Derblington 29 Dec 2017 13:00:59 32,900 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    foster2007 wrote:
    Is this game worth it?

I have skipped all assassins creeds since 4 as I got sick of the formula.
    2, Black Flag and Origins are arguably the only ones with playing. While I still don't think they've changed as much as i'd like, they have changed enough to make it the best so far.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Dec 2017 13:04:20 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Derblington
    Syndicate is defo in my top 3 ;)
  • Derblington 29 Dec 2017 13:12:00 32,900 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Syndicate could potentially replace 2 but I feel like the story and character in 2 is stronger. Otherwise they're more similar than different.

Black Flag and Origins change more with the core premise and world that make them more unique.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2017 13:37:14
    About 2 hrs into Origins and I'm not sure I see how it's changed all that much. I mean the combat has changed but it's a crap version of what it's trying to go for, the loot is extremely shallow and the rest of the game seems unchanged. It's definitely cut out some of the superfluous stuff but I'm still struggling to get into it.

I spent 30 quid on the thing though so feel compelled to give it another go, hope it picks up soon.
  • Switch024 29 Dec 2017 14:31:33 3,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I'm about 10 hours or so in and haven't had to follow anyone yet so that's a major improvement.

It's still Assassin's Creed and the core gameplay is the same but there's loads of small improvements that make the overall package much better.
  • Juz 29 Dec 2017 23:56:18 3,399 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just got round to the mission on an actual big boat, and itís fucking stunning like Black Flag dialled up to 11
  • Vice.Destroyer 30 Dec 2017 00:09:03 7,298 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think boat missions are the worst thing to have happened to the AC games.
  • drhcnip 30 Dec 2017 08:01:16 6,462 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    I think boat missions are the worst thing to have happened to the AC games.
    at last! i'm not the only one that thinks this then? black flag is one of my least favourite in the series...
  • Blackmarsh63 30 Dec 2017 08:19:27 3,105 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fantastic game spoiled only slightly by the crappy boat bits. Looks stunning on the new xbox as well.
  • Switch024 30 Dec 2017 14:14:31 3,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For balance I thought Black Flag was great, sailing around the Caribbean was my launch PS4 experience and I loved it. Always hoped they'd make a direct sequel so glad to hear they're in this.
  • Derblington 30 Dec 2017 14:30:23 32,900 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't particularly like the ship combat but can deal with it in short bursts, which is more of how Origins handles it.
    It got tiresome in Black flag but the general world feel and tone made up for it. Its a nice play environment.
  • markytonline83 30 Dec 2017 16:30:12 916 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    About 2 hrs into Origins and I'm not sure I see how it's changed all that much. I mean the combat has changed but it's a crap version of what it's trying to go for, the loot is extremely shallow and the rest of the game seems unchanged. It's definitely cut out some of the superfluous stuff but I'm still struggling to get into it.

I spent 30 quid on the thing though so feel compelled to give it another go, hope it picks up soon.
    Agree with everything you have said here. I bought it because they said it was a return to form for the series, but it's exactly the same as the others, just prettier. Just endless busy work and ticking off icons on your map. Out of all the big open world games series I've always felt AC is the poor relative. Still the case.
  • Syrette 30 Dec 2017 16:39:20 50,545 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So other big open world games don't have "endless busy work" and map icons?

I'm confused.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 30 Dec 2017 17:03:59 9,308 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm about 8 hours in and so far haven't had to climb a single tower. The mind boggles!
  • Phattso 30 Dec 2017 17:54:42 25,197 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I found this really gripping from the start. Admittedly as soon as humanly possible I went off-piste and just starting exploring, and murdering animals for their pelts. :)

Loved Black Flag, skipped Unity, refunded Syndicate after 1hr and 59mins, and took a punt on this. Glad I did.

The traversal/climbing is almost Zelda: BotW like in as much as I've yet to find something I couldn't relatively easily scale in the world - be that a building or a sheer rockface.

No doubt something will fuck me over eventually, but right now I'm happy as Larry. And Larry likes this game.
  • Frogofdoom 30 Dec 2017 18:27:53 16,215 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hardly any of the modern era bit either, was about 10 minutes in total. What weapons are people liking, I quite like the dual swords and straight sword, for bows its the one for assassination and the warrior bow, not keen on the fast firing light bows though.
  • markytonline83 30 Dec 2017 19:09:47 916 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Syrette Well, yes they do but AC has always been the worst for it. And Origins is no better than any other AC before it in that regard. Now gameplay, I canít fault. A pleasure to control and it also looks great. Iím just already starting to get burned out by the repetition of the quests.
  • devil_badger 31 Dec 2017 09:12:06 812 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    For balance I thought Black Flag was great, sailing around the Caribbean was my launch PS4 experience and I loved it. Always hoped they'd make a direct sequel so glad to hear they're in this.
    You should check out Rogue then, that was more or less a sequel to Black Flag. I found it rather enjoyable. The 360 version is backwards compatible, and there's rumours of a HD remaster to come out on current consoles.

Edited by devil_badger at 09:12:18 31-12-2017
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Dec 2017 09:26:07 25,693 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    devil_badger wrote:
    Switch024 wrote:
    You should check out Rogue then, that was more or less a sequel to Black Flag. I found it rather enjoyable. The 360 version is backwards compatible, and there's rumours of a HD remaster to come out on current consoles.
    Another upvote for Rogue or Rouge as many of us kept calling it on the forum ;) great game I have on my 360 and xb1 hd so unlikely to pony up for a paint job, but if you never played the remaster would be the way to go.
  • Switch024 31 Dec 2017 09:46:33 3,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks will keep an eye out for the remaster :)
  • HelloNo 31 Dec 2017 13:28:52 2,172 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The sidequests are a sadly mixed bag, and it sucks that you 'must' do them to keep up level wise with the plot.

Getting near the end now, and it's frustrating to have a tantalizing cliffhanger at the end of a story mission, only to need three more levels to do the next story quest. By that time I'd forgotten exactly what I was doing and why I did it.

Also struggling to care about the characters apart from Bayek and Aya. Maybe I'm just getting older and cranky but it just seems like an endless stream of people standing around needing you to solve their problems while they stand there and do nothing.

For all my moaning I am enjoying it! Egypt is an absolutely wonderful place to explore and the combat is a delight, especially like tracking down and fighting the Phylakes.. I even wish the modern days bits were longer, Layla is an interesting protagonist.
  • drhcnip 31 Dec 2017 14:30:01 6,462 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HelloNo wrote:
    The sidequests are a sadly mixed bag, and it sucks that you 'must' do them to keep up level wise with the plot.

Getting near the end now, and it's frustrating to have a tantalizing cliffhanger at the end of a story mission, only to need three more levels to do the next story quest. By that time I'd forgotten exactly what I was doing and why I did it.

this is one of the main reasons i wasn't keen on black flag - felt it was much more balanced in rogue, which i much preferred...
  • HelloNo 1 Jan 2018 16:13:42 2,172 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @drhcnip Ha, I didn't notice it in Black Flag, maybe I was more tolerant then.
  • richyroo 1 Jan 2018 18:00:15 446 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started off loving Origins. Kudos to Ubisoft for creating the most astonishing open world to explore. Their attention to detail is really 2nd to none. I spent the first 30 hours just wanting to explore everything.

Then somewhere about 40 hours in I started to feel fatigue. I realised even though the game world is nice, I couldnt give two hoots about the characters or the forgettable plots.

The last 10-20 hours became a bit of a slog. The side missions are all forgettable and boring and the main quest line isnt much better. I was surprised it featured so highly in the readers best game of the year list.

If Ubisoft actualy hired some talented writers to drive the plotlines and put some effort into the sidequests ala The Witcher games, then these games could be something really special.

Edited by richyroo at 18:03:33 01-01-2018
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 1 Jan 2018 18:10:10 47,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So having just killed The Lizard I'm really enjoying this. I thought it was a gamble getting it, having bounced right of Horizon in a big way and with not enjoyed AC since Brotherhood but I'm glad I've given it a go now.

I love wandering around Egypt, and it's sparked a real interest in what life was like in ancient Egypt - those buildings and temples are amazing.

Plus I love Bayek's interaction with kids. It makes me go "aw" each time :)
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.