Following Assassin's Creed Origins Page 6

• DUFFMAN5 10 Mar 2018 16:26:09 25,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @superbob85
    Same for me mate, start all over again with FC5 soon :)
  • chrisno21 12 Mar 2018 00:29:41 2,291 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Final DLC this week. Looking forward to more Bayek travels. Even did some of the tours this last week and found them to be nice little additions and some were very interesting. You get a good amount of game and content for your hard earned cash with this one.
  • ChiefGB 12 Mar 2018 08:10:08 12,490 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes but so much of it feels like filler, the thousands of side quests are just rinse and repeat in the main. Least they are all written I guess but they aren't interesting. The main stuff seems better but is the actual story all that long when you remove all the necessary grinding dirge in between. I just get struggle to get the motivation to turn it on most of the time.

I'm still waiting for it to click for me after all the hype.
  • Derblington 12 Mar 2018 08:18:59 33,138 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No, a ton of it is pointless shit that doesn't make a lot of sense for you to be doing. Even as the last remaining member of this ancient special police force, your actual motivations to hunt down the targets seems to get side-tracked by the most pointless shite.

It's still the area that The Witcher 3 does better than every other game - hunting monsters a is the thing that only you can do, and a lot of that stuff feels as important as your main questline (until later in the game, at least).

Value for money in a Ubi title has never been in question; they pack their titles with gameplay. It's just that a lot of it is quite dull fetch quests or similar.
  • Syrette 12 Mar 2018 08:29:38 50,596 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoyed the side quests in this, and found the whole levelling up process pretty... organic (if that's the word?)? Either way they didn't feel like a chore. I think that's down to the fact that they're not lengthy, each one had a little narrative, and I enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay so much.

To each their own.
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Mar 2018 08:49:21 25,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm 35 hours in and loving it, (@ Chief, it did take about 12 hours) I always do enjoy the Ubi formula and mix things up with hunting, sides, main, underwater etc.
    The only thing I would say is that the XP is somewhat of a grind as you do not get a lot of it, which makes some of the game "locked out" I'm lvl 26 and have just done the Crocodile missions, which were lvl 28. I did manage it, but against lvl 30+ enemies I'm not doing so well. I could buy some Helix of course...

For those that completed what lvl were you for the final fight/fights ?
  • Derblington 12 Mar 2018 08:51:52 33,138 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was 2 or 3 levels under what was suggested and I walked it.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2018 08:54:22
    The Hidden Ones was a pretty good DLC pack, the sidequests and story sections felt a bit better than the main game

Looking forward to the one this week
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Mar 2018 08:55:42 25,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I was 2 or 3 levels under what was suggested and I walked it.
    ? You mean the end, what lvl does the game suggest.
  • Derblington 12 Mar 2018 09:58:17 33,138 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    35, I think, and I was 33.
    There are side missions and stuff that require 38-40 though.
  • ChiefGB 12 Mar 2018 11:05:23 12,490 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've played it about 25-30 hours, maybe more/much more I can't remember - recently did the scarab stuff and a bit after which did feel fresher. Problem was I'd been playing so much less interesting stuff up to then. Also I'm finding even much of the side quest stuff pointless because you can't do it all, as much of it isn't worth the paltry xp payout when you likely have higher lvl sides available by then. So I think they have put for more than they needed to as well. Problem is icons give my OCD a hard time and I'm always thinking what if this one is worth doing etc. Tbf same could probably be said for witcher but that WAS
    likely to be a good mission each time.
  • TheMilkman 12 Mar 2018 12:13:00 600 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah even the Witcher had a lot of 'run after the footsteps' filler type sidequests. There was a lot of good stuff, and it was a great game but people talk about it like every single side quest was a fully fleshed out and unique thing but that just wasn't true. Go to dead body, activate witcher senses, follow trail, kill person. I absolutely loved it but that's how a large portion of the side quests went.

Asscreed sn't far behind if you ask me. Side quests are a mixed bag, but everything is a huge step up compared to what they or bioware have been doing for the past ten years.

Is it even a big deal having samey side quests in a giant open world game? That's the way it's always been right? As long as it's not 'go kill 50 rats and come back', I'm not too fussed.

I can't wait for the dlc, I've absolutely rinsed this game. Even started a new game plus after beating trials of the Gods hard mode.

Edited by TheMilkman at 12:15:30 12-03-2018

Edited by TheMilkman at 12:20:39 12-03-2018
  • Deleted user 13 March 2018 08:11:04
    Played through the 'Light Among The Dunes' quest last night (a teaser/prologue for the new DLC that's due out today), worth a look!
  • Derblington 13 Mar 2018 09:27:08 33,138 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheMilkman wrote:
    Nah even the Witcher had a lot of 'run after the footsteps' filler type sidequests. There was a lot of good stuff, and it was a great game but people talk about it like every single side quest was a fully fleshed out and unique thing but that just wasn't true. Go to dead body, activate witcher senses, follow trail, kill person. I absolutely loved it but that's how a large portion of the side quests went.
    Mechanically you're limited in any game, and it'd take a lot of creativity to smoke and mirror that.
    What Witcher does better is narrative and purpose - the things you do still fit the character's choices and motivations. You're a monster hunter and there are monsters to hunt, and only you can do that. And while you tackle a lot of the quest lines the same way, the fact that you're doing them feels like it makes sense in the world and character you inhabit.

Origins doesn't.
    You're out to avenge the murder of your son, and what would stop that? Apparently someone that wants you to steal them a spear, or someone that's sick wants you to find out why. It's just busy work.
  • TheMilkman 13 Mar 2018 12:37:31 600 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeh it's just bollocks that though isn't it? I mean, I get your reasoning but I'm not thinking that when I play the game, I'm just thinking 'oh here we go, following a bunch of red footsteps again.'

Same with Origins, when I'm playing it in not actually thinking 'i must avenge my son!' I'm just looking around for things to do in the open world. If I like the gameplay I'll do it, if not I wont. With Witcher I was never 'I must find ciri!'. It was the same, let's see what this open world game has for me. That's what I'm thinking. The narrative in either game doesn't bother me THAT much.

I don't really see the difference between geralt being a witcher and hunting monsters and bayek being the last medjay protecting innocent Egyptians anyway tbh. Not that I think it's really all that important.

Edited by TheMilkman at 12:37:47 13-03-2018
  • Deleted user 13 March 2018 12:48:36
    DLC is up now on PS4 btw
  • Switch024 13 Mar 2018 12:50:43 3,734 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe it's a personal thing but context and reasoning for what I'm doing mean a lot to me, it can be the difference between getting fully immersed in the game world or being taken completely out of it.

Some of the side quests in Origins are the very definition of pointless busy work.
  • TheMilkman 13 Mar 2018 13:12:25 600 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dunno I just don't think to myself, 'I am Geralt the Witcher! I must sniff down this monster with my witcher senses and then vanquish the demon!'. I just think, 'oh, another one of these'.

Don't get me wrong at all by the way. Witchers side quests on the whole are consistently better, I just don't really think the difference is that big. The asscreed missions where you go into a camp and rescue someone are very much busywork, but my point is that I've never played an open world rpg without busywork.
  • Switch024 13 Mar 2018 13:33:19 3,734 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fair enough, when I'm playing The Witcher I do feel like I'm going about my business doing Witcher stuff, I don't really think 'oh it's one of these'.

In Origins there's moments where I'm genuinely thinking why am I being an errand boy for random people. It feels pointless and out of place.
  • TheMilkman 13 Mar 2018 13:54:01 600 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The explanation for it is that bayek is the 'last medjay', so he is charged with protecting and looking after the people. So I don't really see the difference, but I guess it's just whether you latch on to the character or not.
  • ChiefGB 13 Mar 2018 13:54:28 12,490 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I feel witcher does nail the "this is my job and it's down to me only to sort this" from top to bottom they do a clever job of that starting even with the haggling for payment for the mission, it's not massively important but it all helps with the immersion and perceived autonomy of it all. When you add all the layers together writing/characters etc it's just an exceptional way of delivering it all.

Bear in mind, the witcher 3 predates origins by at least 2 years which is significant in that it hasn't taken any of that forward or in many cases even matched it. That's my issue, to even be compared to it is great but why shouldn't it be at least its equal.
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Mar 2018 14:50:15 25,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Spent around 6 hours last night and this morning (I didn't even play Gears!) doing odds and sods to try and get from lvl 28 to lvl 33+.
    I'm actually lvl 32 at the moment. Mucho fun hoovering up map icons and question marks. I did wonder into an Elephant enclosure mind you...that did not end well at all!

I also took a very large fort almost entirely stealthy with poison darts, decay and rigged fire reinforcement things! very happy with that.

I have completed around 50 quests in total I think, unlocked 29 viewpoints and "defogged" the entire map. Looking at Uplay I have completed 56% of the game, so a fuckton of stuff still to do. Highly unlikely I will get near 100% but that is fine, I have more than had my monies worth, and still have the main quest line to complete.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 14:51:40 13-03-2018
  • TheMilkman 13 Mar 2018 17:40:56 600 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ChiefGB Fair point, it's not really brought the genre forward at all to be honest. I just think it's a good open world rpg. Witchers probably the best ever.

Imo if you compare it to your Bethesda/bioware stuff, they have done a good job.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Mar 2018 07:43:49 25,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Completed main quest line yesterday, I fookin loved it albeit after several hours to get fully immersed. The only bit that pissed me off was the ship combat, I felt that took a step back from BF.

I will put some of my stats down...when I check them. I will prob spend the time before FC5 comes out, just hoovering up sides and Hippodrome.

9.5/10
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Mar 2018 09:23:38 25,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @superbob85
    I have a fire sword, you are right mate. It is lovely. I like the fact you can buy xp once you complete. Sold a load of weapons and spent 11000 going up a whole lvl. :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.