Slay The Spire Page 6

• Frogofdoom 23 Jul 2019 15:21:31 13,948 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's funny isnt it, sometimes you look nailed on yo win and it all goes wrong and other times you are waiting to die and suddenly the hand clicks and is awesome.
  • OnlyJoeKing 23 Jul 2019 19:17:13 962 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rwklau wrote:
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    Fuck me, there are a few ridiculous achievements. These are the ones I haven't got yet.... don't think I'll be going for the set any time soon...

Ooh Donut!
    Finish Donu with a Feed.
    This one really annoys me because I actually was in a position to get it but miscounted my energy and didn't get to play the feed card to finish off Donu and then had to kill it on the next turn with a non-feed card or I would have died.

OnlyJoeKing wrote:

Focused
    Have 25 or more Focus during combat.
    Consume and find an enemy that you can stall (i.e won't kill you) on.
    Heh, cheers, good shout on the last one - just did it easily!
  • rwklau 24 Jul 2019 02:35:47 145 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    It's funny isnt it, sometimes you look nailed on yo win and it all goes wrong and other times you are waiting to die and suddenly the hand clicks and is awesome.
    When I first got the game (when it was still in Early Access) I completed the game with the Ironclad and the Silent (the Defect hadn't been added to the game yet) with attritional decks (barricade+block+body slam for the Ironclad and poison for the Silent) and stuck with those setups. Gradually as more stuff was added to the game, particularly in Act 3, I had to adjust my setups but the big game changer was the introduction of the Final Act. I've had to experiment a lot more with different decks and of the three runs that I finally completed the Ending with two of them were runs which early on in Act 1 I thought were not going to work out. For example, I'd never have contemplated the Corruption+Dead branch setup before.

I currently tackling the remaining achievements (current one being the Play 10 shivs in a single turn one which I'm close to (9!) but haven't quite managed yet). I might go back to trying to climb Ascension (the best I've managed is Ascension Level 2).
  • Murbs 24 Jul 2019 20:46:03 24,346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Donu and Deca down due to decent Defect deck dudes. Delighted.
  • Murbs 24 Jul 2019 20:48:26 24,346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Melter is a great card to have before letting rip with some juicy lightning.
  • Frogofdoom 24 Jul 2019 21:48:29 13,948 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it's a brilliant card, even when the armour strip doesn't apply it's a decent 1 point damage card.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Jul 2019 04:32:02 21,246 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Melter is great to have when you need it, but it's not always easy to draw cards exactly when you need them. And the damage is alright, but imo not really worth it if you're not making use of the strip armour ability.

It's a weird one. I'll pick it, but it's situational, and depends on what other cards I have to choose from.
  • Zippity-zap 25 Jul 2019 06:11:13 427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You there, stable boy! Round up the stallions and Splay the Sire!
  • Frogofdoom 25 Jul 2019 09:03:19 13,948 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty much every card in the game is situational though. Echo form is one of the best cards in the game but when you have 30 points of damage Incoming and only 3 points to spend it's a chocolate teapot.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Jul 2019 09:09:46 21,246 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True, but some situations are more common than others. Yes, there are a few fights with enemies that have massive amounts of Block to break through, and Melter would be great in those (if you can draw it when you need to).

But there may be *more* fights where another card is more useful, and I'm usually thinking about those when I pick other cards over Melter. It's not an instapick for me, is what I'm saying.
  • Duffking 25 Jul 2019 10:12:47 16,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've never really found much use for Melter either personally. Specifically needs a situation where your enemy has lots of armour, isn't about to do a bunch of damage to you and you have reasonable damage in the rest of the hand. I basically never pick it :p

Echo Form updated may not be worth casting one turn but it's pretty likely you'll find an opportunity on a later one.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Jul 2019 11:45:34 21,246 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Echo Form is fucking mental if you have cards that work with it. Got my first Heart kill with that thing.
  • Frogofdoom 25 Jul 2019 11:59:25 13,948 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it is, especially when you get a few of them.
  • OnlyJoeKing 31 Jul 2019 23:04:15 962 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally, all 3 characters up to Ascension 20. Time to stop playing!

Only beat lv20 with one though, but this will do me. It was annoying to have Silent and Defect hovering on 18/19...

262 hours sunk in. What a magnificent game. Will still dip in and out for the odd daily run, and obviously will have to come back when the other character comes out, but man, this was really keeping me from other games. Just so easy to think "I'll just have a quick go on StS..." then you blink and 4 hours have passed.
  • rwklau 3 Aug 2019 00:50:12 145 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iím guessing people reading this thread already own the game but in case you donít itís one of the headline games for next monthís Humble Monthly.
  • gamecat 8 Aug 2019 10:52:24 866 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LTP but finally finished 3rd boss with silent to unlock ascention. Other two were easy, but silent rng messed me up, could never get a decent poison or shiv build, ended up with a half assed version of both usually. This time I stuck to 30 max cards, and lucked out with 2 relics both triggering off skill cards.
  • Duffking 8 Aug 2019 10:55:33 16,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Meanwhile I'm over here getting annoyed if I go over 20 cards :D
  • gamecat 8 Aug 2019 13:14:16 866 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you bin off basic strikes and defends, or are just really selective over what you pick-up? I know I typically had way too many cards before, so 30 was a reduction for me.
  • Fatiguez 8 Aug 2019 19:53:39 8,929 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I find it more difficult as I climb Ascension levels to keep my deck nice and small. Usually I have to take a fair few cards just to get through Act 1, before I have good relics, which don't scale very well and basically just end up bloating the deck by the last floor.
  • Duffking 8 Aug 2019 20:14:07 16,310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm relatively selective I know what works well for me after a few runs. But yeah, I bin strikes and defends because pretty much every attack/defend card you get is objectively better and it's good to keep card numbers low for consistency. If you're running poison and say, 4/15 cards in your deck are poison and some are powers you're looking at playing all your poisons every 2 turns or so, for example. Same for a strength build, or a lightning spam build etc.
  • askew 8 Aug 2019 20:36:57 19,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    InterestingÖ 🤔

/is StS noob
  • rwklau 9 Aug 2019 05:32:38 145 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Managed to get the Common Sense achievement (no uncommon/rare cards). Went with the Ironclad and found it quite difficult to resist the temptation to pick up cards such as Barricade or Limit Break. I accidentally picked up Enlightenment (an uncommon colourless card) from the card matching gremlin event but managed to ditch it at a shop.

Ended up facing the Time Eater in Act 3 which was probably the boss the deck I ended up with was best suited for.

• Murbs 16 Aug 2019 08:28:58 24,346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finally, after 40 hours, Iíve unlocked Ascension. Took a fair few more goes to beat with ironclad than the others. Ended up with lots of great blocks and a card that enabled me to damage enemies every time I gained block. Coupled with a few big damage cards, I finally took down the Awakened One.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Aug 2019 10:13:08 15,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So I've been enjoying this on Game Pass - however I seem to have hit a wall with my Ironclad in that I can't seem to get past the CIty. I reach the end boss easily enough, and even managed to get him down to 1 health before he one shot killed me with 50 odd damage.

Am I correct that there isn't any persistence between attempts besides the unlocks which are available during the run? AT first I thought I was building a deck for the character, but it seems to be just for that run?
  • Mola_Ram 21 Aug 2019 10:18:24 21,246 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, you are correct. Nothing carries over.

A large part of being able to win comes from knowledge of what kinds of enemies and bosses are coming up. That way, you can start building a deck including cards that you know will be effective against them.

That, and thinking about synergy between cards.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Aug 2019 14:02:16 15,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Understood - I am improving on how I use the cards, although I do occasionally forget to check the hand before playing a card for maximum effectiveness :-)
  • TechnoHippy 24 Aug 2019 09:22:01 15,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I finally managed a climb, but it was a daily climb - I've still not managed a standard climb, but will keep trying :-)
  • Frogofdoom 24 Aug 2019 15:53:15 13,948 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They can be harder than normal ones sometimes.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Aug 2019 16:55:55 15,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Maxed out the Ironclad, but still can't complete a standard run :-(
  • Carlo 5 Sep 2019 21:17:16 20,587 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I got to the corrupted heart today for the first time, did 700+ damage, then it said I did 0 and I dropped dead.

What the fuck happened?!

I got an ending, and one of three gems lit up.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.