Slay The Spire Page 7

• Frogofdoom 5 Sep 2019 21:22:55 14,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You have to do that with each of 3 characters to unlock the chance to fight him. Once you have done it you can get 3 keys across a run, 1 from and elite one from a bonfire (recall) and one from sacrificing a chest relic. If you have all 3 and complete act 3 you unlock act 4 which is a short 2 fight act with a shop.
  • Carlo 5 Sep 2019 21:27:11 20,668 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Got it, nice!

Thanks Frog.I did so well because I got hopped up on poisons, and 2 cards that I upgraded that tripled the poison damage (Looked it up, it's called Catalyst +). When I get to use both it's pretty terminal for my enemies.

The killer though, was I got a card that when you kill one enemy, it does it's total damage to all other enemies (Corpse Explosion - fucking brilliant!). I got the doughnut and triangle boss (Donu and Deca), so I just nuked one down and he killed the other one for me. oof!

It was an epic stroke of luck getting this combo.

Edited by Carlo at 21:44:59 05-09-2019
  • Frogofdoom 5 Sep 2019 22:02:02 14,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah that's one of the best builds in the game, its incredibly good at dealing out damage.
  • OnlyJoeKing 6 Sep 2019 00:03:40 1,003 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had an interesting build on one of the daily runs the other day. It let you chose a 10 card deck with the silent, and I went with Flechettes (4 damage per skill in your hand, 6 upgraded), and then all skills, typically cards that let you draw more cards with a bit of poison.

It was lethal.
  • Hog-lumps 6 Sep 2019 08:13:53 1,084 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    These high damage builds sound great - just wondering how people are keeping themselves healed through the run? whenever I go away from a defence build the constant chipping of damage gradually takes is toll until I eventually run out of HP. Is it simply a matter of resting at bonfires regularly rather than upgrading?

Also whenever I do a build with the high skill card ratios I always seem to meet a gremlin nob who destroys me with his Enrage buff :(
  • Frogofdoom 6 Sep 2019 08:23:33 14,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I only ever use skills against the gremlin if its turn 1 or he will die the turn after. Gets out of hand otherwise.

Regarding damage builds, the daily climb is a bit different to normal runs as you can end up with some insane builds where you deal so much damage you dont really need to block often.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Sep 2019 08:25:14 21,707 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For me it's choosing (and rejecting) cards depending on where I am in a run. So, I know that such-and-such a card is maybe not going to be so great in the endgame, but is great against Gremlin Nob. So I'd usually pick it if it came up early in Act 1, but not later than that.

There are certain items that heal, and some special cards that do it. But really your main source of healing (unless you're Ironclad) is going to be through resting at Bonfires, and a free heal at the end of an act. There's no real trick to it, aside from trying to ensure that you don't lose health in the first place.

So yeah, don't feel bad about resting. If it's the difference between life and death, then resting at a Bonfire is absolutely the right call.
  • hedben2013 6 Sep 2019 10:23:28 1,240 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a pretty good run as Defect yesterday, managed to get the power that means your first card each hand plays twice, and made it Innate with a relic. Filled the rest of the deck with other powers and really low energy attack cards (quite a few claws, and the one that does 1 damage for every card in your draw deck). It was stacking up to some massive amounts of damage, but went through loads of cards every turn...

...then I got the boss that ends your turn and gains strength every 12 cards you play. It was the perfect counter to the deck I'd built, didn't evenget it to half health before dying.

Can't wait to have another go though.
  • MiniSchnauz 6 Sep 2019 12:20:26 297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @hedben2013

Yeah, unfortunately Time-Eater is the perfect hard counter to All-for-One and Claw/0-cost builds. The only successes I've had against with that are using Inserter (gives you an orb every couple of turns) with Capacitor (Lose an orb but gain two focus) and stacking/rotating ice between playing out 0-costs. Even then, he can get a bit ridiculous.

As for resting: wrll, general theory goes you want to try and take out as many 1st floor Elites as you can for the relics and use the bonfires for upgrading. From the 2nd floor you're in lap of the gods territory and have to just do as best as you can.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Sep 2019 12:26:06 14,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The fucking goblin that summons adds can be a real ball breaker to hit as an act 2 elite sometimes, as can stabby. If I'm not confident in my hand I tend to only do act 2 elites when there is a fire just after. I'm much the same with a3 as well.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 12:26:30 06-09-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 6 Sep 2019 12:57:18 297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Red-hand Gang and the Taskmaster trio can be a pain in the neck too. I find them only slightly less offensive than Reptomancer

Nemesis and Giant Stone Head are manageable but those lot take the mick.
  • Graxlar_v3 6 Sep 2019 12:59:30 8,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MiniSchnauz wrote:
    The Red-hand Gang and the Taskmaster trio can be a pain in the neck too. I find them only slightly less offensive than Reptomancer

Nemesis and Giant Stone Head are manageable but those lot take the mick.
    I find those three diamonds that you can get in Act 1 to be really fucking awful just because you donít have many cards and they flood your deck with bullshit
  • MiniSchnauz 6 Sep 2019 13:10:23 297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Ironclad and an early Evolve are a big help, along with the hooded cultist in Act 2. Doesn't help for Silent and Defect though.

I always try and take out the leftmost one first to try and stop the 9-18-9 damage cycle ASAP.
  • Hog-lumps 6 Sep 2019 13:24:10 1,084 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks guys, some great tips hear about resting and how to handle the gremlin nob! I did wonder if there was some tactics I was missing.

This is such a fun game and very addictve. So glad I purchased after the positive comments in this thread.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Sep 2019 14:16:27 21,707 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gremlin nob is definitely a boss that feels counter-intuitive. With just about anything else (Transient a notable exception) you'd be mixing attacking and blocking, depending on what they're going to do. But with Nob, it's just attack attack attack until he's dead, only really blocking if you're sure you can kill him next turn.

The best cards for him are ones that do damage and block at the same time (which don't anger him, as they're not skill cards). Ironclad has one of those.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 14:20:42 06-09-2019
  • oldskooldeano 6 Sep 2019 17:38:20 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd appreciate any tips on deck streamlining. For example do you sometimes not pick a card at all? I usually always take something at least, and I suspect this dilutes my effectiveness later. What about card removal? I use it to get rid of obvious curses but are there smarter ways to use that?

Can you have a really thin, say 10 card deck that is effective? Is such a goal a good idea sometimes?
  • Mola_Ram 6 Sep 2019 18:03:38 21,707 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can win with a small deck or a big deck, there's no magic size that your deck "should" be imo (though getting up to 30+ cards is probably a bit much).

I generally pick up cards whenever they're offered in act 1 (because you need them to survive the boss), but I get pickier in acts 2 and 3. Removing Strike cards is often a decent idea, but not before you have something better to replace them with.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Sep 2019 18:15:09 14,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I often dont take cards if I think well I would rather draw one of the attacks/blocks I already have and this is just going to lower the chances. If you have a strength build then you wouldn't want a shitty attack getting in the way of your heavy blade or sword boomerang.
  • MiniSchnauz 6 Sep 2019 19:22:59 297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It depends on what you're looking to do with your deck. There are some cards in all sets I consider obvious picks if you get a chance irrespective of what you're trying to do. e.g. Shrug it Off/Headbutt with Ironclad, Blur/Backflip with Silent, Focus with Defect.

Anything with draw is good to get through your deck quickly and open up options. The smaller the deck, the faster you are going to cycle. Or, anything that allows you to manipulate your deck to get useful cards in hand quicker. (Headbutt/Hologram+)

It's good to try and get rid of starter/basic cards when you get a chance, strikes and defends really offer nothing beyond early game and, save for a couple of Silent and Defect cards (Neutralise/Survivor/Zap/Dualcast), nothing is expendable. E.g. As soon as you get Uppercut (and hopefully upgrade it) feel free to dump Bash.

Big decks are not bad, they're just unwieldy and more subject to RNG burying the card you need at the bottom of the pile but card draw and tools like Seek are good at getting out what you want when you need it. There are even times when a big deck can be good: they can stop curses stacking and some combos like Power Through and Evolve are all about bloating your deck but massively boosting your draw. With additional relics and cards, you can control and manipulate that to devastating effect.

Edit: Oh, and Mindblast. Because I love that card.

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 19:24:30 06-09-2019
  • Frogofdoom 6 Sep 2019 20:26:06 14,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Today's daily would have been amazing with mind blast, start with 50 cards and 10 added a turn. Wrong class for it but it would have had some great comedy moments.
  • MiniSchnauz 6 Sep 2019 21:32:44 297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I had Mindblast in both my runs. Hilarity ensued.

Also great for the 'pick a card, get three copies of it in your deck' runs.

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 21:33:27 06-09-2019
  • oldskooldeano 7 Sep 2019 00:47:07 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks for the comments guys. I've been doing pretty much what you've all said, getting rid of basic strikes for example. Everything is situational. You play the bosses coming and you adjust to where your early deck sort of heads towards.
    There are so many possibilities which makes it so addictive. I just imagine these highly streamlined decks with cards like focus, or 0 cost damage cards that you can cycle through with predictable results. I guess that's what I'm hoping for really, a predictable deck, that clicks, and hums like perpetual motion machine!

Edited by oldskooldeano at 00:47:59 07-09-2019

Edited by oldskooldeano at 00:48:47 07-09-2019
  • hedben2013 7 Sep 2019 09:44:07 1,240 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha it's only just occurred to me that you can look ahead at the boss you're going to face and adjust your deck pickups to counter it. What a doofus.
  • SirScratchalot 8 Sep 2019 23:43:20 7,920 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just hit a perfect run with the poison-lady and got my first heart win. Got two of the aftertouch (I think that's the name) cards that give one block after playing any card - upgraded them to be innate, also got the "Kunai" that gave extra dexterity every time I played three attacks in a turn. Got loads of Shiv-cards so could wind up playing 10-ish per turn. This of course then gave me 20-block from the cards alone and added 3 to my dexterity (every turn) for when I really needed to block. Had a few "Noxious fumes" too, so while I was turtling poison was steadily building.

The extra block per card also perfectly counters the damage the heart does when you play a card.

Was Ascension level 5 too, I think i have to stay away from this game for a while now. It pushes my dopamine-centers so hard I think I play it too much.

Edited by SirScratchalot at 23:44:00 08-09-2019
  • SirScratchalot 8 Sep 2019 23:45:05 7,920 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @hedben2013 I had never realized that! We are compatriot doofuses.
  • Razz 10 Sep 2019 15:14:03 618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh wow the new fourth character, the watcher is very interesting to play.

Play through here:
    https://youtu.be/ft6dRODwKW4
  • MiniSchnauz 10 Sep 2019 16:01:34 297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think The Watcher is interesting although I'm not personally a fan so far as her early game is woefully poor and definitely requires some tweaking.
  • Razz 10 Sep 2019 16:33:13 618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Reminds me of the disciple, very slow at first but you usually end up with very interesting decks
  • MiniSchnauz 10 Sep 2019 16:50:34 297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I agree, it's interesting, but it feels a lot less diverse and I think, mechanically, it's not there yet.

The starting Wrath and Calm cards lack the versatility to be 2 energy and it's counterintuitive to actually be able to play them in the early game without taking damage. It feels like it needs to be more fluid without punishing play. Making them both 1 (Enter Calm, draw 1 card; 6 dmg, enter Wrath) would mean they're more use and synergise better with the Strike and Defends.

She's the 'glass cannon' of the four with the lowest starting health pool and I think my biggest concern is the balance between attack and defence. She can do massive damage but she's always going to suffer and if you find yourself stuck in Wrath without any draw then it's game over against even normal mobs or just scurrying from fire to fire to rest whilst you pray for an Apotheosis.

What she actually needs is a third 'turtle' stance to reduce damage whilst minimising damage output. At the moment Calm has no palpable benefit other then the two energy when exiting it so it's just a passive for a passive's sake and differentiate it for setting up Wrath and could even mitigate it's weakness if it was energy and draw giving it a purpose beyond just being a set up or had the above turtle effect to allow you to combo into a Wrath state with some protection.
  • docrob 11 Sep 2019 00:54:57 1,231 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've just had my first successful run! Fired this up today for the first time in aaaages, and won through playing Ironclad.

I got the Necrominicon relic from an event, which applies your first 2+ energy attack each round twice. Also got the Velvet Choker (which gives you 1 energy per turn, but you can only play 6 cards). This combo made Bludgeon utterly OP, and then I could often use it again the next turn by using Headbutt.

Fought Donu & Deca at the end, and absolutely owned them.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.