Slay The Spire Page 2

• BeheretiK 15 Jun 2018 08:54:01 922 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmmm, new endless mode on the Beta branch from today:

Winning will return you to Exordium with the same deck

Could be interesting! One for later while watch World Cup games :-)
  • Tomo 15 Jun 2018 09:15:29 16,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Beta branch?! How?
  • BeheretiK 15 Jun 2018 11:47:29 922 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Right-click on the game and select properties. On the beta tab (furthest right) select beta from the drop-down.

I can't remember myself now as I set it so long ago but you might lose progress. However, a quick search suggests you will be OK if you do the following:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/646570/discussions/4/1699416432410750324/

Great game, isn't it! :-)

Edited by BeheretiK at 11:47:51 15-06-2018
  • rwklau 26 Jul 2018 02:15:36 147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been stuck on ascension 2 for Ironclad for a while. Just don't seem to be able to survive act 2. Decided to take a break and try ascension 2 for the Defect and cleared it fairly comfortably. I'm in no doubt that there must have been a large element of luck involved.

Contemplating buying the soundtrack DLC if it goes on sale. I wonder if its any different to the directly extracted audio.
  • OnlyJoeKing 9 Sep 2018 20:11:18 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Man, I'm gutted this doesn't support ultrawide screens. Was watching a stream today and it looks fantastic. Black bars / windowed mode is a concession too far, so will have to wait for the Switch version in 'early 2019'.
  • Tomo 9 Sep 2018 21:51:53 16,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've got it and play it on an ultrawide monitor. It really doesn't matter. The game isn't about the graphics etc. In fact, it's better windowed can have your browser open side-by-side and just chill out and play it. It's absolutely brilliant just get it.
  • OnlyJoeKing 10 Sep 2018 00:55:21 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tomo cheers - very tempting! Will try to find some time this week to see what it's like in windowed mode.
  • OnlyJoeKing 10 Sep 2018 23:42:45 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tomo gave it a try, and it's bloody excellent.

Managed to 'beat' the game on my second go, though. Bit easy there!

Time to give The Silent a go..
  • Tomo 11 Sep 2018 00:57:29 16,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing

Oh you're just getting started :)

New cards to unlock, different deck approaches to try, Ascension mode.to have a stab at. Its chock full of content.
  • OnlyJoeKing 11 Sep 2018 01:29:59 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tomo excellent. This game is amazing! I'm hooked already. Could have played it all night. Had to pause at the bottom of the 3rd tower with The Silent. Have probably played about 5 hours straight tonight, unheard of really for me on a weeknight.
  • OnlyJoeKing 11 Sep 2018 01:43:46 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It reminds me a lot of Star Realms, one of the few other card games I've tried. Star Realms is also a cracking game imo, probably not quite as brilliant as this, but then that's really a multiplayer game so apples and oranges and all that.
  • OnlyJoeKing 11 Sep 2018 20:45:39 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished my run with The Silent, stats now read total victories 2, total deaths 1, playtime 6 hours 2 mins.

May have gotten lucky with the cards so far, love the game though. So addictive. Can't wait to give the last guy a crack and then play the others again (and again and again) but sadly, cruelly, no time tonight. Been ages since I was this keen to play a game!

I'll devour any future content for this without a thought.
  • Tomo 11 Sep 2018 20:51:22 16,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Good to hear.

They update it every week I think. I imagine they will release various new characters in the future. Probably new enemies, bosses, ? rooms etc.
  • OnlyJoeKing 12 Sep 2018 09:35:57 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Damn game kept me up far too late last night. Sign of a classic!

Safe to say my luck ran out with The Defect. A hard character! Made it to the 3rd spire eventually but promptly crippled by three of the crow guys with a first round onslaught and me with no block cards.

Such a good game
  • OnlyJoeKing 12 Sep 2018 21:48:59 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck. Those 3 cultist dudes have made mincemeat of me twice in a row now on a Defect run. It was going so well!
  • OnlyJoeKing 14 Sep 2018 01:30:39 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally beat it with The Defect. Had an awesome lightning deck, small (finished with just 5 cards in my hand after Exhausting others), great defence cards, 4 extra focus.... even then, I nearly got killed by The Awakened at the end. Had a relic that brought me back to life once at half health instead of dying, and I needed it, even going in with full health...

Found The Defect much harder than the other guys overall. Quite like The Silent, bit overpowered perhaps but he's fun to play.

Might be my favourite game I've played this year, it's a toss up with this or Subnautica. Both have cost me a lot of sleep!
  • Tomo 14 Sep 2018 09:08:46 16,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I somehow did Defect first time I think, but generally I find him a bit inconsistent. He can be insanely powerful or the orbs just don't click.

Silent feels most OP to me. Poison is lethal.
  • OnlyJoeKing 19 Oct 2018 01:37:52 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Up to over 100 hours on this now. Brilliant game.

Think the Default is the strongest character, seems easier to get the combos going than the other two. Up to ascension level 10 with him, 6 with the Ironclad, 5 with the Silent.

This game has cost me a lot of sleep!
  • OnlyJoeKing 31 Dec 2018 03:06:16 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd highly recommend that anyone who likes Slay the Spire take a look at Meteorfall. It's a mobile game on Android (and presumably iOS too), saw it recommended by someone on RPS and took a punt - and it's a terrific game.

A deckbuilder similar to Slay the Spire in many ways, but more quickfire. It works so well on mobile too, you get dealt cards one at a time so for most of the game you just have to swipe left to pass and regain stamina or swipe right to play the card.

It's not quite as deep as StS, but still plenty challenging. Only a few quid too.
  • Tomo 31 Dec 2018 08:56:47 16,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ohhh. Nice. Thanks for tip. Card games are perfectly suited to mobile too. They need to get StS on there pronto.
  • OnlyJoeKing 31 Dec 2018 16:02:46 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah absolutely! It would be great on a tablet. Would have thought touch screen controls would work just fine too.

I rarely double dip on games but definitely would for StS. Will probably grab it on Switch in the new year.
  • OnlyJoeKing 14 Jan 2019 21:27:16 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Very nice

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/14/slay-the-spire-googly-eyes-mod/
  • Deleted user 30 January 2019 08:39:10
    Bought this last night and thought I'd have a quick game before resi. Ended up playing it for 2 hours straight. Very addictive so far.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2019 15:13:08
    Still can't beat Act 2. I'm getting close but meh. I do it.
  • OnlyJoeKing 3 Feb 2019 15:31:18 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Such a good game. It will click and then you'll crush it on normal difficulty..... most of the time.

I'm on ascension 12+ for each character now..... biggest issue is it's too tempting to play, keeps me from other games!

No idea how you could beat the final boss though. Have made it twice since it was added and got completely destroyed both times in 3 or 4 turns.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2019 15:33:02
    I'm still a noob but what are these ascension levels? Do they come into play once you've beaten the acts?
  • OnlyJoeKing 3 Feb 2019 16:21:22 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah each time you beat it with a character you can start a new game with a ascension level +1, a lot like NG+ modes. Each time it gives you a small score multiplier and a small debuff, things like elites / normal enemies / bosses have more health, do more damage, give less money, etc...

Nothing particularly game changing but it makes it harder, keeps you on your toes, so as you get better at the game the challenge goes up incrementally.

The debuffs stack, so the higher levels are pretty brutal! As if the normal game wasn't brutal enough lol
  • Deleted user 3 February 2019 16:24:13
    @OnlyJoeKing

Gotcha.
  • OnlyJoeKing 4 Feb 2019 01:03:49 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The 4th act boss is absurd. Wipes me out within 3 turns every time. Maybe should have to turn off Ascension for a few tries...

Anyone beaten it?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.