Slay The Spire Page 14

• TechnoHippy 4 Mar 2020 12:12:59 16,311 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Apparently dragging the card might solve it - https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/eirxup/unable_to_play_cards_on_switch/
  • Lukree 4 Mar 2020 13:38:39 539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Apparently dragging the card might solve it - https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/eirxup/unable_to_play_cards_on_switch/
    Thank you, have to try! 🙌
  • Murbs 4 Mar 2020 14:56:04 24,691 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Lukree your issue rings a bell with me actually - but it's probably only happened twice in 125 hours of playing. Did what you did in the end - quit out and reloaded.
  • Tetsuo_Shima 4 Mar 2020 17:26:13 175 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've usually avoided the Snecko Eye relic when I've seen it come up during a run, as the confusion quite often makes a mockery of the synergy you have going, even if the extra energy is useful.

HOWEVER, I was forced into taking one as The Silent when I chose to swap my starting relic out at the beginning. Throwing any semblance of synergy out the window, I just opted for the highest-cost cards, theorising that they would benefit more from randomised cost than low-cost cards.

I have to say, apart from some hairiness at the start when I was pulling 3-cost defends and strikes, it worked out really nicely. Act 2 was a pushover. I'm confident of prevailing through Act 3 unless I get RNGed a banger.
    On top of that, I have slave collar and black star to encourage taking on the elites when possible.

One interesting thing I noticed was that one of the (?) rooms is a card stuck in a wall with your writing on it. When I came across it in my latest run, it was a simple 'Strike' stuck inside. Then it dawned on me that I put a strike in there 4 or 5 runs ago. So there's a wee bit of cross-run referencing there which is quite fun.

Edited by Tetsuo_Shima at 17:26:47 04-03-2020
  • Duffking 4 Mar 2020 19:31:58 16,523 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Snecko eye is probably the most powerful one generally for me but you do have to prioritise expensive cards and already have a few. If you're all 1 and 0 cost it's bad.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Mar 2020 20:30:30 8,024 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just beat Ascension 5 as the Defect with an absoluely mad deck. For the first two chapters, I couldn't get it to click at all and only scraped through the boss fights. Had Echo Form and Creative AI, plus just about enough other stuff to bump along.

Then I picked up a second Echo Form, plus a couple of upgraded Buffers at the start of the third floor. And then I went on to absolutely splat everything in my path. Get the Echo Forms up fast, use it on Creative AI so it triggers twice (so two random power cards per turn), double-cast the improved Buffers and then just power-card the shit out of stuff. Got a bit lucky in that Donu was the last boss, but that went down incredibly quickly.
  • Murbs 4 Mar 2020 23:30:59 24,691 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Best . Game. Ever.
  • yegon 5 Mar 2020 08:24:45 6,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Beat the heart for the first time yesterday, woo!!

Ascension level 3. Having three triple poison cards and 4 generic poison cards helped somewhat :)

Took it down in about 4 turns lol! Incredibly satisfying after so many failed attempts, and itís the first time Iíve maxed poison at 1000.

Such an amazing game, clocked about 150 hours Iíd estimate, and I feel no urge to stop. It IS dangerously addictive though, when I think about playing other stuff I umm and arr, and instead put this on + a podcast of choice. Iím hoping AC will wrest my attention away somewhat. Just you watch, the Switch patch will appear the same day, huh.

Got Rune Factory 4, itís great.....but Iím just thinking about STS when I play it, hmm.

Edited by yegon at 08:29:33 05-03-2020
  • Mola_Ram 5 Mar 2020 09:04:58 22,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the reason I stopped (for now) was that it was preventing me from playing other games I liked. It really is moreish.
  • TechnoHippy 6 Mar 2020 11:23:00 16,311 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I managed to reach the Heart again, this time with Ironclad, but although I did manage to reduce its health by half it did me in with curses again. On the positive side, I did take out the two shapes for the first time.
  • Lukree 6 Mar 2020 12:00:46 539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lukree wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Dragging fixed it, awesome! (I didn't even realize that you could use touch controls...)
  • Pipedream 6 Mar 2020 12:54:16 504 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lukree wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    I think you can also just press b.
  • Lukree 6 Mar 2020 14:55:04 539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Pipedream wrote:

I think you can also just press b.
    Nope, that didnít work for me.
  • Tetsuo_Shima 14 Mar 2020 09:39:45 175 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just had a banger of a run with the Defect to finish the game with the three main characters.

Act 1 didn't start too well, losing a lot of hp early due to bad luck, but scraped past dapper slime and collected frozen core. Managed to transform all my strikes and defends into random cards early in act 2, which turned out really nicely, and then accrued 6 or 7 Claws and the All for One skill, which cycles the 0 costs in your discard pile - all my powered up Claws - back into my hand. Along with a couple of Charge Batteries and some neat powers, the deck just spiralled out of control and wiped the floor with Act 3. So I suppose it's onto heart runs or ascensions now?

Edited by Tetsuo_Shima at 10:09:59 14-03-2020
  • glo 14 Mar 2020 12:55:43 3,653 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Best . Game. Ever.
    I've been waiting for ever for it to go on sale on the switch. Got a late xmas present last week of a £25 eshop card and thought fuck it, I'll pay full price.

So glad (and slightly worried) that I did. Been hooked all week and even being playing it in bed. Beaten it with the ironclad and silent now and just got to give the defect a try.

So good and so addictive. Anyone know if, and when, the final character is coming to the switch version?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Mar 2020 13:19:54 8,024 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Beat ascension 10 on the Defect last night, so it and the Ironclad have the same progress now. Finding climbing the ascension ranks much easier on the Defect.
  • Frogofdoom 14 Mar 2020 14:19:59 15,779 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I think the defect is my best character too. Seems the easiest to get the invincible hand on.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Mar 2020 23:57:59 8,024 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just did ascension 11 and 12 on back to back runs on the Defect. On a roll here...
  • Duffking 15 Mar 2020 01:26:03 16,523 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Beat A4 with ironclad and didn't unlock A5 :S
  • OnlyJoeKing 15 Mar 2020 02:08:54 1,043 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I found the defect a bit hit & miss. Like, quite often it just doesn't come together - more often than the Ironclad and the Silent. But when it gels, good lord, it's so much fun.
  • glo 15 Mar 2020 11:58:00 3,653 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    just beat the game for the first time with defect. Now completed a run with all characters. Completing with the defect took me less runs than the other two. Not sure if this is just because I understand the game better, was lucky or the defect suited me better.

Going to try the daily challenges now. Assume my next step is start doing the ascension runs?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 Mar 2020 21:16:42 8,024 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Christ... just beat ascension 14 with the Defect. Wasn't even close... got an incredibly sharp deck early on based around the capacitor relic (increases orb count) from an early shop and Consume to increase focus, with loads of static discharges. Kept my deck tiny and only really took defend cards. Ended up using almost no direct attack cards at all.

The Defect seems to be entirely down to whether you can get a few early relics/cards. If you can, even these high ascension levels are easy. I'm kinda coming round to just ditching runs early and restarting. Health +7 is a perfectly respectable start bonus.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Mar 2020 21:50:30 22,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, I never bail early. It's fun trying to work out how to survive when you don't get the perfect combination of cards. Though that's just me liking roguelike games, I guess.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 Mar 2020 22:09:39 8,024 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I never bailed early at the lower ascension levels, but the "window" of cards/relics that can get a win at 10+ seems to get pretty narrow. If you're heading for a mess of a run, might as well ditch it early.

At lower ascension levels, you can absolutely pull back victories from what looked like a hopeless start, though.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Mar 2020 22:55:48 22,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon In 80-90% of cases, yeah, a hopeless run at the start turns out to be a hopeless run in general. But in the cases where it isn't, it feels sooooo satisfying to pull it back from the brink. To me, the game would get boring if I always had a good start and could stomp through it every time.
  • Duffking 18 Mar 2020 01:00:30 16,523 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A5 didn't unlock for me as Ironclad so I went back and pummeled the ever loving fuck out of the heart while I was at it

• Murbs 18 Mar 2020 06:39:12 24,691 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is it wrong of me not to bother with the heart whilst I'm climbing the ascension ranks?

A7 with the Ironclad last night, and may have been one of my favourite runs ever.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Mar 2020 07:11:16 22,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you don't want to do it, don't do it. It's fine, there's nothing wrong with it.

It does make you a coward though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Mar 2020 07:27:11 8,024 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Murbs I never try for the Heart above ascension 1.

Got through ascension 15 with the Defect last night, but it was way too close to comfort. Had a very "traditional" small-ish deck based around boosting orb count and focus then cycling a mix of lightning and frost orbs. Beat the Time Keeper with low-single-figure health remaining.
  • Duffking 18 Mar 2020 09:19:34 16,523 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just went for it because I reached act 3 and was demolishing the collector so fast it couldn't even get a hit in.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.