Slay The Spire Page 16

Next Last
  • OnlyJoeKing 22 Jun 2020 00:32:30 1,088 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mean, ironically, a block deck can dish out more damage than anything, apart from poison.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Jun 2020 23:38:44 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing Doesn't cut the mustard at A15+ though, from what I've seen.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Jun 2020 00:01:07 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And beat A18. Classic strength deck, thought it was over when I got the Ascended One as my Act 3 boss, but he died easily enough to some mega-powered cleaves and whirlwinds.
  • richardiox 23 Jun 2020 00:14:36 8,702 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    When's this fucking thing out on Android then? Need it in my bed.
  • OnlyJoeKing 23 Jun 2020 11:42:48 1,088 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon they totally can, but it's much less reliable. Strength is pretty forgiving. With block you have to get lucky and get to a really optimised hand. With discard it's even harder as you need specific cards and some enemies will totally fuck you over (like that time keeper bastard). But when it works, man, you can be untouchable.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Jun 2020 11:48:04 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And after a week stuck at A18 on Ironclad, I just did A19 on the first go (strength build again). My "random rare card" was Limit Break and I got a Demon Form from the second enemy I fought. Add in a bunch of very nicely aligned further cards and relics and it turned into a cakewalk.

Infuriating thing is that I could have easily splatted A20 with that deck, but I don't see RNJesus being so kind to me again any time soon.
  • Murbs 23 Jun 2020 11:54:07 24,815 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Now I have this on my iPad, I can't see myself going back to playing on the Switch. Have thoroughly enjoyed starting again from scratch, but have struggled so far on all my encounters with the Heart.

Easily the best game I've ever played.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Jun 2020 16:37:26 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And A20 done. RNJesus loved me after all and I got pretty much the same deck I used to do A19.

That just leaves The Watcher, now, where I'm way, way down on A3. I find it easier to focus on a single character at a time.
  • Bambot 24 Jun 2020 10:59:53 1,821 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Now I have this on my iPad, I can't see myself going back to playing on the Switch. Have thoroughly enjoyed starting again from scratch, but have struggled so far on all my encounters with the Heart.

Easily the best game I've ever played.
    What?!

Ohhh shit, really?!

I've never bought this game because I know the ONLY place I'd want to play it is on my iphone or ipad and it wasn't on the app store.

OMG finally, I get to play this!!!
  • yegon 24 Jun 2020 11:43:21 6,504 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Bambot

As has been said, be advised there’s currently no iCloud sync. Worth bearing in mind and focussing on one device for now. I believe they’re working on it.

Edited by yegon at 11:43:43 24-06-2020
  • Bambot 24 Jun 2020 12:57:57 1,821 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    @Bambot

As has been said, be advised there’s currently no iCloud sync. Worth bearing in mind and focussing on one device for now. I believe they’re working on it.
    Hmm, okay. It seems like the perfect game for a phone, for when I'm out the house. I've got an 11 so I'll start there, or is the screen too small do you think?
  • Bambot 24 Jun 2020 13:33:57 1,821 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh dear, the reviews for the iOS version sound like they've done the bare minimum to make a PC/console game work on a touch screen. Complaints include not adapting much if anything of the UX for the iOS screens, tiny text, a swipe-to-play mechanic that doesn't always work but can work when you're trying to quit to the home screen, very short memory if you switch apps or take a call while playing (quits a game back to main screen shortly after switching app), and too many crashes.

I might wait a few more months...
  • Murbs 24 Jun 2020 13:42:17 24,815 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've had no issues playing it on the ipad though. Yes, swiping up to exit isn't always 100% successful but text isn't an issue
  • yegon 24 Jun 2020 18:37:35 6,504 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Plays fine on my XS.

Some of the complaints are valid though, no allowance or accommodation for the global swipe up, smallish text, not super easy to read the card without playing it. Perhaps because I’m so familiar with it playing comes very easily.

Re memory, I seem to have experienced the opposite, it’s stayed in memory for ages.

Edited by yegon at 18:45:20 24-06-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Jun 2020 19:13:45 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Took me more goes than I want to admit to get from A3 to A4 as the Watcher. But when I did it, I absolutely stormed it with a highly technical deck built around Flurry of Blows - finished Chapter 3 at almost full health.

It feels very, very different after pumping all of those hours into the Ironclad. As the Ironclad, I was used to needing to end battles in a few turns. As the Watcher, it was more about building my damage steadily over a longer time period, while dancing furiously between the stances. That said, my damage had a big uptick after the last shop in Chapter 3, where I got the Shuriken. For a deck based around playing as many as a dozen attacks in a single turn, that was a huge boost.
  • Murbs 3 Jul 2020 15:35:55 24,815 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Amateur mistake just now, I'm bloody livid.

Fighting the Heart, my strength is through the roof and I lay an upgraded heavy blade on it. Damage is about twice what's needed to kill it off.

*But* I'd forgotten I'd started the turn on just one health /o\

Most infuriating defeat ever. Couldn't discard my hand so there was a lot of junk in it (curses, wounds etc) that I couldn't play, but I didn't even check to see if there was a block I could have played first. Muppet.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Jul 2020 15:43:10 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the Beat of Death... literally!
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.