Slay The Spire Page 3

• OnlyJoeKing 8 Feb 2019 01:08:02 962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get in, beat it at last. With The Silent, Ascension 13. Poison is ridiculous once it gets going.

The Silent has got to be the strongest character. Loads of ways to draw new cards and get extra energy. If you get to use Nightmare on Adrenaline or Catalyst then it's basically game over next turn.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2019 07:09:46
    @OnlyJoeKing

After another unsuccessful night I decided to have a look at some hints and tips and discovered I've been playing it wrong, with ironclad anyway. I've been concentrating on power when everyone says it's more beneficial to defend. I'm also in the habit of stockpiling too many cards so it can take a while for my strongest to come back around. I'll make some adjustments today and see how I get on.
  • Tomo 8 Feb 2019 07:52:26 16,703 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think having a slimline deck is absolutely essential. That's why the discard option costs so much. It's a truism for most card games.

That said, I've had the odd run where I've had absolutely loads of cards which all synergise, and your turns end up chaining.together loads and loads of cards. It's pretty awesome.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2019 08:15:03
    @Tomo

I think I've just been stockpiling loads of attack and whilst this gets you through act 1 easy enough, it's obviously messing me up later. It's my own fault for being a bit ignorant and wondering why discard options were so highly regarded.
  • Tomo 8 Feb 2019 08:18:09 16,703 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @AddyJB

Yeah fair enough. With all those cards to learn about it's easy to get into the habit of saying yes to all the ones that come your way.
  • OnlyJoeKing 8 Feb 2019 08:23:09 962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @AddyJB yeah you don't need to take a card every time, it's tempting to keep picking good cards but then you end up with a bloated deck and you'll get terrible hands more often - eg no defence.

Lots of the cards work together in specific combinations too, particularly for the silent and the defect. So when you have an idea if what kind of deck you're building you can pass on cards that don't fit.

If you get it right (and get a bit lucky) then you can end up cruising through hard fights. Some of the combinations are crazy.
  • OnlyJoeKing 8 Feb 2019 08:26:09 962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tomo when I beat it last night I ended up with about 40 odd cards! They were all basically either poison or defence, or energy / draw cards.

That card that let's you draw cards of you have no attack in your hand is amazing if you get rid of all your attack cards lol
  • Deleted user 8 February 2019 08:26:15
    Yeah I've already seen some good combos in action. Like the basic bash followed by a dropkick that gives you your energy point back. I'll experiment a bit today and see what I discover.
  • Tomo 8 Feb 2019 09:32:51 16,703 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing

Yeah, I think that's the card I used when I built massive decks. Combine it with another that reduces card cost to 0 and you're laughing.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2019 16:09:03
    Got a good deck at the moment. Had to save it mid way through act 3. I've 3x upgraded whirlwinds and relics that add vulnerability to enemies. I also start each fight with 5 energy so I kick things off with the whirlwind which just destroys most minions with over 60 damage in one round. Elites are down in 2 goes. Got decent defence which can give me around 30-50 each round turn if need be. I could well be on my way for my first completion :)
  • Deleted user 9 February 2019 08:33:47
    Finally beat the bastard with ironclad. Kind of jarring using the silent now as it plays totally different.
  • Gregolution 13 Feb 2019 19:53:35 9,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is the best video game I've played for ages. Usually board game ideas don't really work digitally but this is absolutely perfect.

Wonder if they'll add more in the future in the way of cards or characters.

Hope so.
  • Deleted user 13 February 2019 20:12:09
    Gregolution wrote:
    This is the best video game I've played for ages. Usually board game ideas don't really work digitally but this is absolutely perfect.

Hope so.
    What platform do you have it on mate? Pc has extra content via steam workshop.
  • TheRealBadabing 13 Feb 2019 20:30:33 1,883 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gone off this now.

After managing a run to include the 3 pieces I made it to the last area. Big disappointment and I can't see myself ever properly completing the game now.
  • Gregolution 13 Feb 2019 21:01:41 9,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AddyJB wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:

Hope so.
    I'm on PC yeah. Didn't think it was out on anything else yet?

Will probably grab it on switch whenever it arrives too. Would prefer the kids play something that makes them think like this.

Extra content via mods?

Edited by Gregolution at 21:02:01 13-02-2019
  • Gregolution 16 Feb 2019 17:06:15 9,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaaaaaaaaarg I died with the Defect on the final boss when he was only on about 30 health :(

That was by far my best build. I've done 3 runs today and about 5 yesterday. I couldn't be more hooked.
  • Covenant2142 16 Feb 2019 17:46:05 5 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Is it free to play, or buy to play?
  • Deleted user 16 February 2019 18:28:39
    Gregolution wrote:
    AddyJB wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:

Hope so.
    I'm on PC yeah. Didn't think it was out on anything else yet?

Will probably grab it on switch whenever it arrives too. Would prefer the kids play something that makes them think like this.

Extra content via mods?
    Sorry forgot to reply. Yep 2 extra characters via the steam workshop. Not tried any mods yet. Still need to finish it with the other 2 characters. Not played it for a while though.
  • Gregolution 16 Feb 2019 20:53:33 9,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Covenant2142 wrote:
    Is it free to play, or buy to play?
    No thank fk it's not free to play. It's not trying to force you to play for daily bolx or steal your time away and collect nonsense. It's just a very good game that you want to play regardless.

I think it was 8 quid when I bought. Would have paid more. Excellent game

Edited by Gregolution at 20:54:15 16-02-2019
  • Covenant2142 17 Feb 2019 12:55:38 5 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @Gregolution ok cool man. thanks a lot!
  • OnlyJoeKing 17 Feb 2019 13:07:15 962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished a nice run with Searing Blow today, first time I've tried it, got it in the initial start game gamble so gave it a go. Ended up upgrading it to +11 where it was doing around 100 damage each hit. Had Double Tap too, and a thin deck - smashed everything, essentially.

Still got wiped out by the heart though. It's an absurd boss, seems they just decided to give it every possible buff and debuff for you and then made it do massive damage.

Got it down to maybe a third health, but no dice, just the one absurd poison build that's worked so far, one win in 5 tries.
  • Gregolution 27 Feb 2019 15:55:46 9,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right, ascension mode unlocked with the defect and ironclad. Need to get silent sorted.

Love this game.

Will buy again on switch. Just like I have with Civ!
  • OnlyJoeKing 27 Feb 2019 19:19:42 962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Silent is awesome. Sometimes she feels a bit soft, but when she gets going she's absolutely lethal. Almost overpowered.

The closest thing I've had is a Barricade run with Ironclad, Entrench and Body Slam, managed to kill The Transient....

But the last time I played The Silent I ended up doing nearly 3000 poison damage to The Transient in one turn. Absurd. Hard to top that, so I've not played her since!
  • Gregolution 27 Feb 2019 20:08:54 9,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing

amazing. It's weird that the stats seem so balanced overall because I hear a lot of people saying silent is strongest.

Absolutely adore the game. Made by netrunner players - another card game I adored so doesn't surprise me!
  • rwklau 3 Mar 2019 01:26:12 145 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've started playing this again now that it's out of early access and so far am struggling to clear (non-ascension) with the Ironclad. I had previously cleared with all three characters and unlocked ascension so I'm not sure if it's because of changes or sheer bad luck.

Tried with the Silent and Defect and cleared with those after a couple of attempts each. The Defect run was hilarious as I had Creative AI, Echo Form and the Necronomicon relic so got to play cards more than once each turn.
  • Gregolution 3 Mar 2019 12:52:50 9,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have the same problem with Silent. I thought I'd easily beat it with Silent but struggling with her. Even my 10 year old son beat it second time with her :(
  • rwklau 3 Mar 2019 13:54:16 145 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just managed the Ironclad with a nine card deck including upgraded Limit Break, Inflame and Heavy Blade. Used a portal on the fourth floor in the third act to skip straight to the boss.

So now I've lit up the three lights (one for each character). Guess I'll find out what that actually does on a subsequent run.
  • Gregolution 3 Mar 2019 17:28:50 9,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    9 card deck!!! Wow amazing. That's efficient.

I've got a very decent chance with silent this time.... Going well.
  • rwklau 3 Mar 2019 19:01:52 145 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So after unlocking the lights I ran with the Silent and got to the end.

No idea how I'm going to deal with the Heart in the final act with the Silent. Especially without being able to heal after the immediately preceding elite floor.
  • Gregolution 3 Mar 2019 21:21:36 9,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got all ascension modes unlocked. Time to crack on !

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.