Subnautica

First Previous
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 22 Jan 2018 19:29:48 359 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do we really not have a Subnautica thread already? In the anticipation of the bile and vitriol that will no doubt shortly ensue when someone presents evidence to the contrary, here's one to keep us going in the meantime.

It launches out of Early Access tomorrow, and I have to say this is one of the best PC gaming experiences I have ever had. Visually stunning, an engaging story, and a truly immersive (pun intended) experience. So good in fact, that the value I've had from this in Early Access makes me think I should pay again for the full retail release.

I don't have any VR goggles so don't know how that bit works, but this game seriously tempts me.
  • LittleSparra 22 Jan 2018 19:45:09 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it also leaving early access.on Xbox? Boo hiss etc but my PC probs can't handle it.
  • magicpanda 22 Jan 2018 19:56:37 15,019 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Excellent game, it's a must buy if you have VR kit.

It needs some work with the general interface and optimisation but its incredibly immersive and there's something primal and disturbing being over 200 metres down. You feel hunted, it's great.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2018 13:52:52
    This game is fucking terrifying.
  • Apollo 24 Jan 2018 14:36:44 546 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    +1 for VR. Jaw droppingly good.

Edited by Apollo at 14:36:57 24-01-2018
  • Linerider 2 Feb 2018 13:14:39 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This game is great. I played it for hours and built a base at the bottom of a 300m deep trench before being swallowed by a lovecraftian horror the size of a bus.

10/10 would crash land on an alien water world and get infected with a deadly virus while massacaring entire shoals of the local wildlife just to not worry about my thirst meter for 20 more mins again.
  • OnlyJoeKing 5 Feb 2018 00:50:10 1,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This game is absolutely brilliant. I'm completely hooked.
  • Phattso 5 Feb 2018 12:42:57 25,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I must confess, I've been sorely tempted with this one for aaages. Love me some down below action (oo-er), and the VR support is the icing on the cake. Don't have the time for it right now, but I think I'll add it to the summer wishlist.
  • rice_sandwich 5 Feb 2018 12:45:38 6,426 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll be the dissenting voice and say that I find it good, fine, decent or what have you. It looks beautiful but I feel it's just a layer of paint on top of a fairly sterile resource grindathon. However, most people seem to really like it so I guess it's one that I've bounced off of for some reason.
  • Phattso 5 Feb 2018 12:47:16 25,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It feels like a game that succeeds or fails based on how immersed you get in the world. I'm imagining that VR might help me there.

As a litmus test I'm going to kick of The Long Dark which I got in a Humble Monthly last year. See if these survival games are even for me.
  • Blurp 5 Feb 2018 13:12:00 1,447 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is this game CPU heavy? Only game where my framerate dips causing stuttering.
  • OnlyJoeKing 5 Feb 2018 17:52:52 1,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Phattso I didn't like the long dark at first impression, but Subnautica..... it blew me away.

It might come down to how appealing the thought of exploring an alien sea is. It's something of a dream game for me. I've never played anything like it. So atmospheric.

I've never really played survival games before, so maybe I just haven't had the chance to grow weary of the mechanics. But it's the setting that does it for me here. Can't wait to get back on it later.
  • orpheus 5 Feb 2018 18:15:20 1,867 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blurp wrote:
    Is this game CPU heavy? Only game where my framerate dips causing stuttering.
    Just poorly optimised. I see about 50% usage of all 4 cores and about 50-60 vram on an i5 6600K and a 980ti. F1 and F3 bring up debug menus, in the left-hand one you can turn some of the shadow levels down, which helped a lot, but it still jags out from time to time.

Love the game though. Normally don't get on with survival games but this is ace. Think it helps that the building and collecting isn't too grindy, only ever need a few materials so stuff never really feels out of reach.

Never thought I'd be the type to get creeped out at depth but seems thalassophobia is a lot more common than you might think!

Edited by orpheus at 18:16:33 05-02-2018
  • Spectral 5 Feb 2018 21:08:26 6,374 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Really hoping this gets a discount somewhere relatively soon. It looks great but I really need to try and cut down on some of my recent spending.
  • orpheus 8 Feb 2018 22:33:28 1,867 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just encountered my first hostile Leviathan(s). God knows what it was... it was HUGE, blue and very angry. It swiped me from behind, I hit a cliff face trying to escape. Had to hop out and repair mid-attack, Seamoth hull dropped to 2% as it smashed the sub against the cliff. One more second of repair and I was back in and bailing for the surface. As I was legging it I saw another one deeper down...

Horrifying. Not going back down there in a hurry... not without the sub defence upgrade anyway!

Edited by orpheus at 22:34:13 08-02-2018
  • Deleted user 12 February 2018 08:43:16
    Just to add that I'm playing this on the One X and absolutely loving it.

It's as shonky as fuck, but this feels like what No Man's Sky should have felt like.

Those Leviathans are fucking nasty, guy.
  • orpheus 16 Feb 2018 18:13:46 1,867 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Didn't realise but this has still not technically released yet on xbox. They're still working on improving performance apparently. Still has all the release features though I think.

Nearly escaped now, my last swim will be tonight. What a journey it's been. Am actually quite sad to 'leave'. You'll understand when you get here.

Will be starting a new game immediately after, probably on hardcore, but you never get back the feeling of the first time in a game like this. Avoid all spoilers, wikis and maps - seriously - and just ask here if you get stuck. You'll appreciate it all the more.
  • docrob 16 Feb 2018 19:22:14 1,547 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Playing at the moment. I love the atmosphere but finding it very frustrating. Seems to take me forever to do anything. Have just built my first base, which looks utterly bizarre thanks to my lack of knowledge of the mechanics.
  • Pazie 16 Feb 2018 21:13:51 1,339 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iím playing this on the Xbox and loving every minute of it. Iím trying to build a seamoth? I have the blue print for it but it still says ingredients unknown. Any help will be appreciated.
  • orpheus 16 Feb 2018 22:55:47 1,867 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Docrob - Knowing where you are and where useful stuff is is a big part of it - carry a few beacons to mark cool or unique stuff, locations etc. It will help lots as you progress.

Pazie - you need to scan more seamoth pieces. 3 pieces total will unlock the recipe. Keep an eye out for lumps of metal on the seafloor, especially ones with curved lines rather than the jagged scrap metal that's all over the place. Keep an eye out for the small cargo boxes too - don't think they contain seamoth parts but they do often contain other blueprints to scan.

Edited by orpheus at 22:59:37 16-02-2018
  • OnlyJoeKing 16 Feb 2018 23:45:18 1,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is easily in my top ten games ever. Probably top 5. Possibly top 3. Potentially...... nah, Dark Souls, Demon Souls, its 3rd best at most.

But what a game.
  • docrob 17 Feb 2018 01:12:54 1,547 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @orpheus I don't have the beacon recipe! I can only find my base because I know it's on the way to one of the Lifepods.
  • Pazie 17 Feb 2018 08:02:18 1,339 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @orpheus Thanks, so I need another two pieces to find. Are the others bits in the red seaweed area.
  • orpheus 17 Feb 2018 11:48:35 1,867 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    -docrob Oh I see! Well same advice to you as Pazie then, keep an eye out for curved wreckage pieces, and search very carefully around the wrecked lifepods and larger wreck sections. It's really easy to miss stuff lying around a POI - PDAs, blueprint bits etc. I missed loads to start with and often had to double back to places later on learning I was still missing something.

Also search all the small cargo boxes (even if it looks like they're empty, sometimes the fragments are very small so point your scanner inside anyway, just in case). If you have the scanner room blueprint and add the room to your base, you'll get markers for the remote cameras on it. I used those as my way home beacons for ages.

-Pazie Yes, seamoth parts should be in the safe shallows/grassy plateaus somewhere. Blueprint fragments are randomised on game start so they'll be in different places for everyone. Check out every bit of wreckage you can find.

Edit: Another useful tip. When you move into a new biome, you'll get a notification from the PDA telling you something about it. When this happens (assuming you have beacons), drop a beacon and name it for the biome. Will help a shit ton getting around. Depending on your preference, you can use F1 to bring up the debug console which will tell you the proper name of the biome.

Edited by orpheus at 16:35:47 17-02-2018
  • Pazie 17 Feb 2018 18:01:10 1,339 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @orpheus Thanks for telling me every game start is different. I never knew that and now makes sense why I couldnít find the rest of the seamoth fragments by watching some guy on YouTube and copying him.
  • orpheus 17 Feb 2018 19:03:28 1,867 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Pazie Haha god that must have been confusing for you! Have you found all the seamoth parts yet?
  • yegon 17 Feb 2018 19:38:01 6,493 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    /find myself interested

/goes to buy on Steam

/already in library since 01/01/2017

\o/

Edited by yegon at 19:38:15 17-02-2018
  • Pazie 17 Feb 2018 20:32:15 1,339 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @orpheus Yes thanks, just now built it. 😀
  • docrob 18 Feb 2018 01:52:48 1,547 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got the beacon recipe now. Have added a scanning room to base. Now frustrated at lack of multipurpose room. Base keeps running out of power - have stuff for bioreactor but canít build it anywhere!

Currently scaring myself shitless diving on one of the wrecks. Loads to scan in there, but very easy to lose bearings and run out of air. Have explored lots with camera but still alarming to do myself!

Going to build seamoth next.
  • orpheus 18 Feb 2018 10:20:45 1,867 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @docrob Have you been to the Aurora crew rendezvous point? If not, the radio messages and lifepod PDAs will direct you to it fairly early on.

You'll find the multipurpose room there. Scan everything, including the buildings and planters etc., in all three bases on the island. Keep an eye out for easy-to-miss PDAs as well. The plants on this island make excellent food sources and can be grown in the base.

Pathfinder tool might help with getting turned around while wreck diving, should be in the default tools. Some wreck doors need either the laser cutter or the repair tool to open.

Other general tips I can think of to avoid frustration:

Scan everything. Scanner should be your default whenever you come across wreckage on the seafloor, wrecks and any structures, and anything that looks cool. Even if it doesn't look like something that can be scanned, check anyway. Even scan the rock outcrops so you know what you can get from them. Scan all creatures and plants (unless it's trying to kill you, and even then you will eventually find things to help scan the nasties) too.

When exploring downed lifepods and other underwater things, check around the pod (etc.) for stuff that might have fallen out. Where pods (etc.) are higher up than the surrounding terrain, check to see if anything has fallen out and down to whatever is below. I think (though am not sure, so don't quote me on this) that when you've found everything at a beacon you've been given, that beacon switches off.

Read all tooltips and PDA data carefully. I didn't realise for AGES that some equipment can be charged for better effects. If I'd read the tooltip properly I would have known that lol.

Mark all new biomes with beacons when you get the voiceover telling you something about the biome (e.g. 'biodiversity in this region is unusually low'). There are multiple instances of some biomes so the compass hud upgrade can help a lot in figuring out which mushroom forest (etc.) you're in. Use the debug console (if you're so inclined) to see the proper name for the biome.

Growing plants in the base can be a great food source and saves arsing about cooking fish and making water when at home building stuff etc.

Edited by orpheus at 14:32:13 18-02-2018
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.