Subnautica Page 2

Next Last
  • Kilters 4 Mar 2018 20:21:25 617 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    What a fantastic game. Pretty sure this is the game I've always wanted.

Tense, spooky, big sense of reward. Exploration is great because it does not hand hold. Bases and vehicles add an extra dimension and encourage even more exploration in dodgy areas where it is terrifying should you lose your hard earned equipment.
    Looks beautiful to boot.

Only issue is the pop in graphically.
  • Kilters 21 Mar 2018 11:58:25 617 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finished this. Really enjoyed it.

Started another game. The terrain regenerates in most places but locations are the same. Flying through it on second play through.
  • Phattso 29 Mar 2020 13:10:41 25,214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Because I'm Early Access averse (relatively little game time, so really want to play a finished thing rather than play 20 increments of an unfinished thing) I've had Subnautica on my list of things to try for literally years but never quite got around to it.

Just fired it up this past week on Game Pass on the One X and... it's fucking amazing. It's very near to my perfect game, and it's only the unavoidable shock of it being built by a relatively small team that stops it from being all that it could be.

Exploration, atmosphere, rewarding game loops, building/crafting that actually has THINGS I ACTUALLY WANT TO BUILD BECAUSE I NEEEEED THEM AND MUST HAVE THEM as opposed to, for example, Skyrim, that I'm also working through on Switch where the crafting is just bollocks.

The save tells me I've been at it for 15 hours already, and I'd swear I've just been dipping in and out for a short while each time since Thursday or so.

The expandalone thing that got released on PC recently, I think, just rocketed to the top of my Wishlist. As good as the One X version is, the controls feel like they need Mouse and Keyboard.

Anyway. TL;DR: chuffing excellent, and a little sad I've waited this long to dive in (pun absolutely intended).
  • DownwardSpiral 29 Mar 2020 13:12:18 615 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Phattso

Always been tempted by this but never pulled the trigger.
  • Bichii 29 Mar 2020 13:14:10 2,877 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Because I'm Early Access averse (relatively little game time, so really want to play a finished thing rather than play 20 increments of an unfinished thing) I've had Subnautica on my list of things to try for literally years but never quite got around to it.

Just fired it up this past week on Game Pass on the One X and... it's fucking amazing. It's very near to my perfect game, and it's only the unavoidable shock of it being built by a relatively small team that stops it from being all that it could be.

Exploration, atmosphere, rewarding game loops, building/crafting that actually has THINGS I ACTUALLY WANT TO BUILD BECAUSE I NEEEEED THEM AND MUST HAVE THEM as opposed to, for example, Skyrim, that I'm also working through on Switch where the crafting is just b inollocks.

The save tells me I've been at it for 15 hours already, and I'd swear I've just been dipping in and out for a short while each time since Thursday or so.

The expandalone thing that got released on PC recently, I think, just rocketed to the top of my Wishlist. As good as the One X version is, the controls feel like they need Mouse and Keyboard.

Anyway. TL;DR: chuffing excellent, and a little sad I've waited this long to dive in (pun absolutely intended).
    Kinda agree although I thought the final 1/4 of the game nose dives into fucking terrible. Amazing indie game though, second of late only to outer wilds.
  • Phattso 29 Mar 2020 13:26:04 25,214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Bichii aye - I'm only 15hrs in - apparently although I dispute that, I'm sure it was just 90 minutes or so ;) - so still very much the honeymoon period.

So far the systems, the base building aspect, the gathering, the exploring, and the atmosphere are interesting enough without even progressing the overarching story. Even that was far more interesting than I'd expected it might be (and, in fact, didn't even think there was one until it happened to me).

Let's see how I feel at 100hrs, I guess. :)
  • hedben2013 29 Mar 2020 13:30:25 1,507 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really loved this game for about 20 hours- but then once I'd got a few bases and all the different modes of transport I couldn't really figure what to do next.
  • Subquest 29 Mar 2020 13:46:22 393 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My favourite game of the last two years, easily. When youíve got a notebook on your desk beside you to make your own maps and lists, you know youíre deeply engrossed. I find it strange that some people donít enjoy the latter part of the game. I guess some burn out on the resource collection. For me the enjoyment and voyage of discovery never waned, and the story rewards you with a great finale.

Thereís no real need to build extra bases by the way.

Edited by Subquest at 13:46:56 29-03-2020
  • hedben2013 29 Mar 2020 14:29:16 1,507 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Subquest don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it immensely and building extra bases was all part of the appeal even if they weren't strictly necessary. I had one near a thermal vent, one at a certain opening to a certain new scary biome I'd discovered, and so on.

I only lost interest because of a slight rage-quit when I tried to get past a leviathan in my newly strengthened Cyclops and still couldn't. Also I'd have killed for a better in-game map and objectives- the beacons were just a bit faffy.
  • rice_sandwich 29 Mar 2020 14:37:22 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really didn't enjoy Subnautica at all. It looked like a good match for me on paper but I guess I felt the whole thing was very artificial and revealed its inner gameiness too much, whatever that means. Sigh.
  • Bichii 29 Mar 2020 16:08:55 2,877 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Subquest wrote:
    My favourite game of the last two years, easily. When youíve got a notebook on your desk beside you to make your own maps and lists, you know youíre deeply engrossed. I find it strange that some people donít enjoy the latter part of the game. I guess some burn out on the resource collection. For me the enjoyment and voyage of discovery never waned, and the story rewards you with a great finale.

Thereís no real need to build extra bases by the way.
    Well yeah that's kinda it. The final 1/4 ish requires a stupid about of resources to be able to survive and it bored me so much I ended up using the command menu. Such a shame as before that I was in love with the game.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.