DC Films Page 49

• Derblington 14 Feb 2020 11:21:25 33,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I get the whole fear thing. It still plays a role, as well as obviously just being a disguise.

Does every single hero have to have strength as a power?
    Without it the fear thing doesn't really work.

A guy dressed as a bat who tracks down criminals and then just calls the police is a proper loony.

Edited by Derblington at 11:27:30 14-02-2020
  • nickthegun 14 Feb 2020 11:24:32 82,941 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I suppose it depends on your definition. A guy who uses clues and logic to track down rapists is a hero.

A guy who can then throw the rapists into the sun is probably a super hero.

I mean, Iím all for a Batman noir but you would have to fully commit stylistically otherwise itís just a stupid looking guy with binoculars.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2020 11:25:16 26,368 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe people are scared of him because he has rabies.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Feb 2020 11:32:42 20,647 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I get the whole fear thing. It still plays a role, as well as obviously just being a disguise.

Does every single hero have to have strength as a power?
    Without it the fear thing doesn't really work.

A guy dressed as a bat who tracks down criminals and then just calls the police is a proper loony.
    Again, as I said, his access to tech still makes him a force. It can make him Terminator like. But he doesnít have to actually have muscles.

I buy that heíd be super fit and pretty strong to be able to do all that climbing and swinging and stuff. But that still doesnít mean he has to be good at fighting and beating people up.

Just think itís a bit boring if every single hero has that as a base power, and Batman not actually being Ďsuperí means itís an opportunity to do something a bit different.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2020 11:37:48 26,368 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So would you make a point of him being shit at fighting? Like have him run away every time it kicked off?
  • nickthegun 14 Feb 2020 11:40:26 82,941 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think the thing that makes him different is the fact that he can and does beat the fuck out of people.

The Ďtaking justice into your own handsí thing bordering on psychopathy, almost arbitrarily choosing who to kick the shit out of is a huge part of what makes him interesting.

Heís a good enough detective to get the bad guy but he chooses to break their legs. I donít think you can have one without the other as, well, superman was born super but he had a nervous breakdown and actively decided to take on the role. Itís almost a wish fulfillment fantasy.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:41:09 14-02-2020
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2020 11:43:15 20,723 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think the thing that makes him different is the fact that he can and does beat the fuck out of people.

The Ďtaking justice into your own handsí thing bordering on psychopathy, almost arbitrarily choosing who to kick the shit out of is a huge part of what makes him interesting.

Heís a good enough detective to get the bad guy but he chooses to break their legs. I donít think you can have one without the other as, well, superman was born super but he had a nervous breakdown and actively decided to take on the role. Itís almost a wish fulfillment fantasy.
    Yeah, this.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Feb 2020 11:44:10 20,647 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    So would you make a point of him being shit at fighting? Like have him run away every time it kicked off?
    No. Again I feel like he can use his intelligence and tech. Obviously conflict is going to go with the territory so he needs to have some way of dealing with it.

Or you could just write a script that doesnít have traditional fight scene set pieces.
  • Derblington 14 Feb 2020 11:48:38 33,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Again, as I said, his access to tech still makes him a force. It can make him Terminator like. But he doesnít have to actually have muscles.

I buy that heíd be super fit and pretty strong to be able to do all that climbing and swinging and stuff. But that still doesnít mean he has to be good at fighting and beating people up.
    More of a dark Iron-man then.
    I get your point. I do think his combat ability, rather than pure physical strength and power, is a big part of the character though.

I have wondered what a real Batman would look like, someone that simply trains to be purely functional and effective. It wouldn't be a bodybuilder in the way the books make it out to be, for sure. Something more akin to a MMA fighter would make sense, and Pattinson can achieve that well. But I also think strongman training would make a lot of sense, and that brings a bit more size naturally so he's be a bit more imposing.

Edited by Derblington at 11:49:21 14-02-2020
  • Mola_Ram 14 Feb 2020 11:48:39 24,369 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It would be pretty interesting to have a hero character who avoided direct confrontation, and used his wits to solve problems and outsmart people. Usually that kind of thing is reserved for villains, but there's no reason why good characters couldn't do it.

I mean, it would make for a pretty dull action movie, but it'd be different at least. The only character I can think of that comes close is Doctor Strange.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Feb 2020 11:52:12 20,647 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah Iím not really talking about the main Batman archetype which I completely agree needs to somewhat be about badass fucking dudes up.

Like I said, every now and then you get a comic that has a very different take and this film feels like itís trying to do that from what little we know about it. And I just think it would be interesting to see them really lean into that.
  • spindle9988 14 Feb 2020 11:53:47 5,153 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iím really looking forward to seeing twilight boy as batman. I didnít like affleck when he was announced and I didnít like any of the batman/dc films he was in.

Pattinson is a good actor and I think he will act the shit out of this role. I feel the same way as I did about the joker in that i was delighted with the casting and just worried about the actual film.

That turned out to be the film of the year for me...along with John wick 3 but I am a massive fan of all 3 so might be a biased with that one.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2020 11:54:58 20,723 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    No. Again I feel like he can use his intelligence and tech. Obviously conflict is going to go with the territory so he needs to have some way of dealing with it.

Or you could just write a script that doesnít have traditional fight scene set pieces.
    Yeah but then I suppose you would have something a bit boring visually speaking like Superman Returns.
  • Dougs 14 Feb 2020 12:42:44 95,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You fuckers have made me put on The Dark Knight. Doesn't scale too badly.
  • spindle9988 14 Feb 2020 12:43:45 5,153 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    That film is probably my favourite cinema memory. I was just blown away at the time.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2020 12:47:26 20,723 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    That film is probably my favourite cinema memory. I was just blown away at the time.
    Yeah, remember seeing a preview a month before release through Empire and the cinema was rammed and everyone was into it.
  • spindle9988 14 Feb 2020 13:03:04 5,153 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Yeah, remember seeing a preview a month before release through Empire and the cinema was rammed and everyone was into it.
    I know his praIses have been sung enough over the last decade and a bit but Heath was just incredible. It was just impossible to know what he was going to do next and his performance was terrifyingly good.

Also, the Alfred speech about the diamond was just acting at its best.
    Fuck it. Iím watching the trilogy tonight.
  • richarddavies 14 Feb 2020 13:11:00 7,862 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heath is still the pinnacle of Joker for me. I still remember walking out of the cinema just dumbfounded at how good he was. And I was one of the people that was fucked off when it was first announced that guy from 10 things I hate about you was playing him.
  • Dougs 14 Feb 2020 13:14:06 95,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I do love Nicholson's turn though.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Feb 2020 13:26:21 20,647 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve got a lot of time for all of them, with the one obvious exception. I like how each Joker is a progression from the last.

Not quite sure where they go from Phoenixís joker now. I think we need a good long break tbh.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2020 13:34:36 20,723 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iíve got a lot of time for all of them, with the one obvious exception. I like how each Joker is a progression from the last.

Not quite sure where they go from Phoenixís joker now. I think we need a good long break tbh.
    Even Leto?!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2020 13:37:36 26,368 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I imagine that's the obvious exception.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2020 13:39:57 20,723 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brainfart.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Feb 2020 13:55:42 20,647 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    🙄
  • Dougs 14 Feb 2020 13:57:44 95,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd forgotten how good some of the tech is in the Dark Knight. Some wicked sequences. (implausible Yadda Yadda)
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2020 14:03:07 26,368 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The sound is fantastic too, it was one the first things I watched when I got the new speakers in.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Feb 2020 14:04:03 20,647 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The gun testing scene in the cinema is an unforgettable sound experience.
  • Dougs 14 Feb 2020 14:15:40 95,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yep, and it's amazing what having a decent centre speaker can do for the dialogue. Really struggled in the past.
  • wuntyate 14 Feb 2020 14:17:09 15,270 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We watched Nolans trilogy just last month. All three are superb but The Dark Knight is on another level. So tense throughout. The threat of impending violence never subsides.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Feb 2020 14:25:59 20,723 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    🙄
    I said brainfart. Obviously I can't read.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.