Following Annihilation

First Previous
  • Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2018 06:53:09 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A new sci-fi film from the studio behind Arrival, by the director of Ex Machina, starring Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaacs and a bunch of other famous people. Here's a trailer:

Having really liked the book, I've been looking forward to this for some time. But the production studio, having apparently been surprised that their purchased adaptation rights to a really fucking weird book have been used to make a really fucking weird movie, have panicked and fretted that it won't make any money, and have sold off the international distribution rights.

So... Annihilation, coming soon to a Netflix near you! Go watch it!

Edited by Mola_Ram at 06:53:47 12-02-2018
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2018 06:55:32 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I tried to read the book but didn't get along with it. Too much piling on with questions and too few answers. I did like the world building though so maybe I should have just read it as that. Will see the film once it arrives.
  • bef 12 Feb 2018 09:49:13 1,706 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've read all books (it's a trilogy) and really liked them. Creepy, sometimes scary and it made me think about the subjectivity of reality, nature and our place in it. Vandermeer is considered a writer of the 'new weird' school. China Mieville is also seen as a writer in this particular genre which is supposedly about mixing up fantasy and SF. Whilst getting rid of genre staples and creating discomfort (according to Wikipedia) ...

I really like Mieville (he's more versatile than Vandermeer and can write anything from hard boiled to SF and is really good at world building). But this particular trilogy from Vandermeer is really something else.... Recommended...
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2018 09:51:04 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I read Vandermeers Veniss Underground and enjoyed it. Very disturbing in places. New Weird indeed.

I also prefer China Mieville though. Vandremerr is too OTT for me.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Feb 2018 09:54:13 14,292 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cool, saw the trailer for this a while ago and thought it looked good. Paramount must be in the shit to be selling off their films like this.
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2018 10:00:21 1,181 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I kind of liked the book, once I got used to the idea that it was never really going to do much in the traditional sense, and instead be all abstract and open-ended and weird. But... not enough to care much about the other two. I figured if they're all as vague and trippy as that one, I'd get bored.

The film I've seen trailers for seems to have played *very* loose with the books, going more for the theme than for a page-to-screen translation. Probably for the best. Might actually be more of a satisfying experience.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2018 10:00:34 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm personally surprised (yet happy) that they decided to make it in the first place. It's not the sort of book you read and think "oh yeah, I totally want to throw $25 mil at that, it'll make a huge profit".
  • captbirdseye 12 Feb 2018 10:02:28 8,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well,  Paramount did chuck $80 million at Downsizing which says it all really. A decent film but that much money for niche title is mental.
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2018 10:06:31 1,181 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I'm personally surprised (yet happy) that they decided to make it in the first place. It's not the sort of book you read and think "oh yeah, I totally want to throw $25 mil at that, it'll make a huge profit".
    Yeah me too now I've read it. Watching the trailer again (I think I saw a shorter one before) it does feel more like the only movie you could probably make from the book, but there's far, far too many monsters in the trailer. I never really thought of anything being that monster-like in the book apart from the you-know-what writing on the walls in the you-know-where, but it didn't look like that part of the book made the trailer at all...
  • Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2018 10:11:19 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, I assume that (assuming it is somewhat faithful to the source material) they didn't want to put too much weird shit in the trailer, and are just playing up the horror elements to get more people interested.

Or not, I dunno. I do remember reading the books and thinking "how the fuck are they even going to depict this in a movie", so maybe they have streamlined it a bit.

I hope not, though. I want a proper mindfuck, me.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:13:52 12-02-2018
  • Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2018 10:15:20 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh man, now I'm thinking about how crazy this would be if 1980s David Cronenberg made it.
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2018 11:56:06 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I know right?

"Hello, I'm David Cronenberg from the 80's. I travelled through time to make a film based on a new weird book and then I go back again, LOL!"

I'd be all like

DAUMN! WHO DAT GUY!?
  • Scimarad 12 Feb 2018 11:59:08 9,434 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm re-reading the book at the moment, strangely. I can't imagine what on earth the film is going to be like but I'm really looking forward to finding out. I don't mind if it's quite different but I hope they've captured some of what made it so weirdly interesting.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2018 13:05:27 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I tried to read the book but didn't get along with it. Too much piling on with questions and too few answers. I did like the world building though so maybe I should have just read it as that. Will see the film once it arrives.
    Yeah, it's not the sort of series you're going to fully enjoy without being able to tolerate a lot of ambiguity. Stuff does (kind of) get answered in the second and third books, but it never gets to the point where you say "Ooooh, so everything makes sense now!" The appeal of the books lies elsewhere.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Feb 2018 11:49:22 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Reviews are out, and they are rather positive. Apparently a lot of the weirdness is intact, which is a huge relief.
  • Tonka 22 Feb 2018 13:00:43 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When is the film released?
  • Scimarad 22 Feb 2018 13:08:31 9,434 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm getting the impression that it doesn't take much other than the basic concept from the book but I can't say I mind if it's a decent film.
  • Tonka 22 Feb 2018 13:28:08 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I liked Ex Machina and I like the idea of Vandermeers books. So I'll definitely be giving this a go. A bit surprised to see Alex Garland adapting someone elses material instead of writing his own stuff.

Fingers crossed he makes his own The Beach.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 Feb 2018 13:42:10 14,292 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Reviews are out, and they are rather positive. Apparently a lot of the weirdness is intact, which is a huge relief.
    Sitting at 89% on rotten tomatoes. I'm actually kind of pissed off this isn't coming to the cunt, looks like it should be seen on a big screen. Really strange move from Paramount especially after the success they had with Arrival.

Edited by Decks at 13:42:51 22-02-2018
  • Mola_Ram 22 Feb 2018 13:43:31 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, the reviews I've read make it sound pretty stunning visually. It definitely won't be the same on a small screen.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 Feb 2018 13:46:39 14,292 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So my phone autocorrect cinema to cunt. Maybe phage is right.
  • beastmaster 22 Feb 2018 13:50:14 18,279 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The whole thing was a dick swinging contest between two producers. The good news is, that the one who stood behind Garland won and this is why we're getting the uncompromised version on Netflix.

It could have been so much different with an alternate ending and reshoots to make characters more sympathetic etc.

Linky

Edited by beastmaster at 13:51:05 22-02-2018
  • JamboWayOh 22 Feb 2018 17:34:17 7,697 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I take it that is only released in the cinemas in America then Netflix a week later ?
  • Mola_Ram 24 Feb 2018 00:16:02 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yup, it's going to be a week or two until the Netflix release. The couple of reviews I've read have gotten me well pumped, though it's sounding like a fairly loose adaptation.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Mar 2018 02:09:19 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's out on Netflix on the 12th of March (in Australia, at least).

Here's the RLM review. There are spoilers, but they are marked so you can avoid them.

They really liked it.

• senso-ji 8 Mar 2018 13:28:04 8,445 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The RLM review makes a good point about how this has all the representation Ghost Busters 2016 screamed about, but does it much better and didn't announce it with fanfare. Will definitely see it when it comes to Netflix (although no theatrical release is annoying).
  • Tonka 8 Mar 2018 13:46:53 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heavy white facing tho...
  • Mola_Ram 8 Mar 2018 14:01:31 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If it's about the biologist (the Natalie Portman character), the adaptation was written (and possibly casted) before the second book came out. And it was only in the second book where it was mentioned that she had some Asian features.

As far as "whitewashing" controversies go, it's pretty minor. The books don't make a big deal about her being Asian (nor about her being a woman, for that matter), so yeah. Fwiw, when she was cast, I thought it was a really good fit for the character.
  • Tonka 8 Mar 2018 14:19:20 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Had you read the second book by then? What made you think she was a good fit?
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.