Following Annihilation Page 3

• ChiefGB 13 Mar 2018 00:09:24 8,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I thought a fair portion of the sfx were a bit ropy tbh, some of the lighting seemed off too. Then again maybe it was just poorly converted to dolby vision or something.
  • Dr-Strangelove 13 Mar 2018 09:36:04 2,234 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well that was a transfixing watch. As a reader of the books I still enjoyed the adaption.

The music with the alien form was exquisite, listening on bass enhanced headphones really took my breath away.

At the end, was that Lena? Or was what we saw her description of what happened? (like the journals in the first book) Did she lie to the scientists so she could get to Kane?

Loved the refracted light in the drink glasses, distortion of light through plastic etc

The Infinity tattoo, I'm pretty sure she didn't have one until she met the alien.
  • Scimarad 13 Mar 2018 09:43:40 9,434 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Dr-Strangelove

I don't think she knew.
  • [maven] 13 Mar 2018 09:50:41 5,578 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't know. (But then, that not mattering seems to be the point of the movie)

The song playing in the lighthousewith the alien is Moderat's The Mark (Interlude).
  • neilka 13 Mar 2018 09:52:24 21,414 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Most of the film was her account of events she was giving to Alex Yu so I think she's meant to be an unreliable narrator.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Mar 2018 09:52:43 17,974 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dr-Strangelove

Yeah, that tattoo seemed to move around a bit.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:54:24 13-03-2018
  • ChiefGB 13 Mar 2018 10:02:15 8,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i think the fact that Kane acknowledged he didn't think he was him. The scene in the camcorder which was the real Kane-notice the slicked back hair on the other and Lena's noncommital response at the end coupled with the matching eye sparks indicate both aren't the real ones or at least that she has brought the dna or whatever out. I like the idea that the plan was to get a male and female out that someone mentioned above. Wouldn't surprise me if the tattoo was on another soldier or one of her team, same with James hair being another member of his team perhaps? Things one might spot in a rewatch perhaps

Edited by ChiefGB at 10:03:52 13-03-2018
  • askew 13 Mar 2018 12:18:25 16,795 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    The song playing in the lighthousewith the alien is Moderat's The Mark (Interlude).
    Cheers!
  • Phattso 13 Mar 2018 14:37:27 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Whelp, watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Can't say whether I'd have seen any of the ending coming, or if it built a logical argument for it, 'cos I read a spoiler on the previous page so already knew where it'd end up. Intrigued to watch again and soak up any details I missed first time through.

Ending felt like a cop-out, but I guess was thematically consistent. I'd have been more pissed if it'd gone down overt "and they lived happily ever after" or "and then the Earth was fucked" routes.

Not sure if I'm more or less inclined to go and check out the books now though. :)
  • Frogofdoom 13 Mar 2018 14:42:03 8,590 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Felt very much to me like the purpose of the shimmer was to get 2 of them into the human race undetected. I drew a conclusion that it wasn't going to go so well for humanity after that.

Was an enjoyable journey though, I would have liked some more animal attacks on a few more red shirts as I felt they were nicely done.

No chance if a sequel by the looks of it as he spent 3 years in the universe of the film making it and has no desire to return.
  • Phattso 13 Mar 2018 14:46:16 23,314 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Felt very much to me like the purpose of the shimmer was to get 2 of them into the human race undetected. I drew a conclusion that it wasn't going to go so well for humanity after that.
    Yeah, that's absolutely what I took from it as well. Still felt like a damp squib in the execution and final shot of the film had me rolling eyes.
  • Lotos8ter 13 Mar 2018 15:02:49 2,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished it, thought it was superb. I need to watch it again as the bloody cat went all 'worship me' during the film and wouldn't leave me alone, so I missed a couple of bits.

Excellent though
  • Scimarad 13 Mar 2018 15:59:10 9,434 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Frogofdoom

The ending would make the sequels very hard to do. I'm buggered if l can remember what happened in the 3rd book and I think both of them were very much concerned with characters that didn't exist in the film.
  • Bambot 13 Mar 2018 17:29:46 1,181 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Saw this last night, absolutely loved it. Gorgeous, weird, thoughtful, original, just what a sci-fi should be.

Deviates *massively* from the book but without ever really *feeling* like it is.

Spoilers:

The alien/clone thing at the end is weird and gorgeous and scary and nuts. Fucking loved it.
    I really hoped they would have the monster that writes on walls but I guess that was just too abstract.
    Is the NP that gets out and is being questioned a clone, and we just never saw the bit where she was cloned? Or is she the original but 'changed' underneath (the eyes at the end).
    The shimmer is gone by the end of the movie but it isn't at the end of the first book. I take it that means there won't be any more movies?
  • Bambot 13 Mar 2018 17:37:22 1,181 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Well....as a fan of the book I loved it most of the way through despite it being very different and I thought humanising the characters was a very good move.

But it totally lost me at the last section and I ended up being pretty disappointed because of that. It really annoyed me that they basically ended up blowing up Area X, that vast inexplicable mystery with a fucking grenade. It's The Mist all over again with their magic flame throwers. Why the fuck are movies so adamant that you have to have a problem that you can 'fix' so everything is neatly resolved? To me it just robs the central idea of all it's power in as much as the characters can do anything about it all, least of all understand it. I know it still ended on a weird note but still.

I find it all the more annoying when a film gets so much right only to disappoint me right at the end. I can see that this is going to be one of those things that annoys the shit out of me more and more as I think about it so I'm just going to stop.
    Hmm.

I'm with you that it's a shame that it seemed incredibly easy to take the whole thing down with a phosphorous grenade, and having read the book that was a bit of a brow-furrow moment for me, but after that I have to disagree with you.

For one thing, a grenade already went off in there and didn't burn the place down. So I'd say something very different happened with the second grenade.

It's entirely possible what happened with the second grenade didn't happen at all - we've only got her word for it and she's clearly not herself any more.

it's also entirely possible the whole idea of the shimmer was to get a man and woman 'infected' and get them out into the real world, at which point the shimmer has served its purpose and allows itself to be destroyed.

I thought that overall it ended on a very similar note to the book tonally, albeit completely differently in the way they did it. Their DNA has changed, and they got out of the shimmer to bring the refractions to the rest of the world. And so the world is pretty much done...
  • Bambot 13 Mar 2018 17:37:22 1,181 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Bambot 13 Mar 2018 17:38:39 1,181 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Yeah, that's absolutely what I took from it as well. Still felt like a damp squib in the execution and final shot of the film had me rolling eyes.
    I liked the way they chose to end it, but yes that particular execution of it was SO corny.
  • Bambot 13 Mar 2018 17:41:31 1,181 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Yeah I thought a fair portion of the sfx were a bit ropy tbh, some of the lighting seemed off too. Then again maybe it was just poorly converted to dolby vision or something.
    Only parts that stuck out to me were where it seemed most of the shot was a CG background/foreground. There's a shot about halfway as they cross an sort of clearing and the foreground grass and background trees and stuff look totally off. Also the shot of someone storming out of the wooden tower looks like that tower was built on an indoor set and the sky etc is CG. The you-know-what going into the water looked a bit ropey but the waves it made looked pretty real and sold it. Other than that I can't remember really noticing anything ropey.
  • Bambot 13 Mar 2018 17:42:41 1,181 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think the sound was AMAZING. The screams of the bear, and then the music during the face-off with the clone were both spine-tingling.
  • monkehhh 13 Mar 2018 20:52:43 4,866 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that was something different, I'll take more of that. Fuck that bear, Jesus.

Edited by monkehhh at 20:53:01 13-03-2018
  • neems 13 Mar 2018 23:51:27 3,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dr-Strangelove

Regarding your last point re: the tattoo, when they were in the boats Lena complains about the bruise on her arm which is where the tattoo ended up. Later on you quite clearly see the tattoo on Anya's arm.

Also I thought it was great.

Edited by neems at 23:51:43 13-03-2018
  • Load_2.0 14 Mar 2018 00:30:27 26,734 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Very enjoyable.

I felt the tattoo was so obvious and appeared so often on several characters that it had some huge significance or meaning I had missed but I can't link it to anything specific.

As for the shimmer burning, I went back and forth with few different ideas. With cancer being a theme I wondered if Ventress had an effect when she was absorbed/disintegrated but that's a bit of a stretch. I settled on the real Lena and the copy switching places when she is knocked out. So it's the real Lena (now mutated into silver mode) who sets the place ablaze and burns up in the lighthouse. Not that it matters as it has achieved it's goal of spreading into the wider world in Kane and Lena copies.
  • JiveHound 14 Mar 2018 03:30:29 9,563 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just watched this. Yup, very impressed.

I have to say that some of these theories you guys are suggesting considering the ending doesn't really factor into the fact that the Shimmer was going to consume the planet anyway. Why would they need to have

SPOILER?

clones?

Sorry, can never remember how to spoiler on phones

Edited by JiveHound at 03:31:16 14-03-2018
  • Deleted user 14 March 2018 08:21:36
    Watched this last night with the wife. Thought she would hate it but we both really enjoyed it. I have a question regarding the end though. How come he recovered when the shimmer was destroyed. For some reason I thought it would be the other way round. Why was he on death's door anyway? Just being exposed to our environment or problems with dna and cloning?
  • Scimarad 14 Mar 2018 08:28:43 9,434 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Addy_B

Maybe because he was outside?
  • Frogofdoom 14 Mar 2018 08:29:41 8,590 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't think there was anything wrong with him, was just a ruse.
  • Sharz 14 Mar 2018 08:49:43 1,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sometimes I like a dumb action film and sometimes I like a film with more questions than answers. And this had loads of questions, why, how, when, who.

Really enjoyed the change of pace as at every minute I was thinking about what might happen next. If their was one criticism it was that ending really needs a sequel, if they don't do any more then the overall story was a bit generic.

Edited by Sharz at 08:52:40 14-03-2018
  • Scimarad 14 Mar 2018 09:47:08 9,434 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Despite them being significantly different, I'm finding it very hard to discuss this without referring back to the book.

The two things that I'm mostly referring to is that in the book her 'husband' didn't survive very long on returning and also there was a suggestion that things were probably getting out of Area X all the time. Even in the film, remember he appeared inside her house. Another odd thing is that the psychologist shouts "Annihilation!" but in the book that was supposed to trigger an implanted suggestion that the biologist kill herself!
  • Mola_Ram 14 Mar 2018 09:59:56 17,974 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the clones leaving Area X has the effect of spreading the infection/cancer/whatever you want to call it, faster than it would spread otherwise.

And it's not going to get a sequel. The film bombed. If you want more of a resolution to (some) things, then read the books. Though as mentioned they are rather different.
  • Bambot 14 Mar 2018 10:02:05 1,181 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Despite them being significantly different, I'm finding it very hard to discuss this without referring back to the book.

The two things that I'm mostly referring to is that in the book her 'husband' didn't survive very long on returning and also there was a suggestion that things were probably getting out of Area X all the time. Even in the film, remember he appeared inside her house. Another odd thing is that the psychologist shouts "Annihilation!" but in the book that was supposed to trigger an implanted suggestion that the biologist kill herself!
    Well a lot of the book isn't in the film, so it's not *that* odd; the hypnotic suggestion was cut entirely. Same with the ending, their choice of ending called for a different fate for her husband.

Edited by Bambot at 10:05:54 14-03-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.