It's not looking good for the System Shock remake...

• ChrisOTR 16 Feb 2018 20:36:21 1,657 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    SHODONE? :-( :-(

Email to Kickstarter backers:

In March of 2016, Nightdive Studios released our video of our vision of System Shock Remastered. Done in Unity it was an immediate hit with almost a half million views on YouTube. In June of 2016 we launched a Kickstarter campaign to make the vision into a reality. It was tremendously successful with over 21,000 backers contributing over $1.3 million to the campaign. We put together a development team and began working on the game. But along the way something happened.

Maybe we were too successful. Maybe we lost our focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game. We shifted engines from Unity to Unreal, a choice that we donít regret and one that has worked out for us. With the switch we began envisioning doing more, but straying from the core concepts of the original title.

As our concept grew and as our team changed, so did the scope of what we were doing and with that the budget for the game. As the budget grew, we began a long series of conversations with potential publishing partners. The more that we worked on the game, the more that we wanted to do, and the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great.

Ultimately the responsibility for the decisions rests with me. As the CEO and founder of Nightdive Studios, a company that was built on the restoration of the System Shock franchise, I let things get out of control. I can tell you that I did it for all the right reasons, that I was totally committed to making a great game, but it has become clear to me that we took the wrong path, that we turned our backs on the very people who made this possible, our Kickstarter backers.

I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

Stephen Kick
  • richarddavies 16 Feb 2018 20:41:40 8,001 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They just need a bit of extra time to add in the loot crate system.
  • Skirlasvoud 16 Feb 2018 20:48:42 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shodamn!

That's horrible news. I was looking forward to a System Shock remake.

Projects like this rarely catch their second wind after they lose focus or drop out of it.
  • ZuluHero 16 Feb 2018 21:08:57 9,488 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's surprising how quick £1.3 million can dissappear. Sounds like they got too ambitious when they should have stuck with what people backed.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 16 Feb 2018 21:09:38 4,116 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It was looking more dubious when they decided to expand the scope too far from the original. What people wanted from this title was a user friendly and visually and aurally pleasing recreation of the original. System Shock 3 is where new ideas should have been heading not this project. Their initial vision demo looked really promising but changing engine at that stage of a small budget project didn't seem that sensible either. It is a shame, but this is one I didn't back so no personal loss. I do hope they do get it together and release a nice product in the end though as I always preferred the original System Shock to the sequel. The controls have not aged well though (trying to replay it is a new challenge...)
  • ChrisOTR 16 Feb 2018 21:11:18 1,657 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yep I agree with what all of you are saying. Shame, that initial demo was so on point!
  • Dirtbox 16 Feb 2018 22:50:26 91,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's not that bad, at least they realised they were headed down the wrong path before shunting a bunch of half baked bullshit out the door.

And now they have greater ambitions they can build on the theme and make a new sequel to SS that does some justice to the original.
  • Dirtbox 16 Feb 2018 22:52:40 91,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    And changing engine isn't such a bad plan either, the assets are pretty much drag and drop from one to the other and the scripting generally just needs a few tweaks. It's not some titanic feat. It just raised the ceiling of what they're able to do by quite a margin. UE shits all over Unity in almost every way.

Edited by Dirtbox at 22:53:55 16-02-2018
  • Malek86 20 May 2020 19:47:34 11,183 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Otherdive just sold the rights to System Shock to Tencent.

I guess that's that. I wonder what will happen to those who backed. I imagine SS3 will still be coming (although it will probably be very different), but there's no guarantee that Tencent will be interested in that remake.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:47:42 20-05-2020
  • Rogueywon 20 May 2020 19:48:51 10,023 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Malek86 That's ok, we'll just get it as a spyware-laden gatcha-game with Match 3 mechanics and Best Value gems bundles.
  • Malek86 20 May 2020 20:34:34 11,183 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nightdive is now saying that they still own the System Shock franchise, and Tencent was only sold the rights to make SS3.

Not really sure what's going on, but it's not like I had a lot of hopes for this in the first place anyway.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.