Cobra Kai - the Karate Kid is back Page 4

Next Last
  • Dirt3 10 May 2018 10:25:19 358 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Addyb_V2 wrote:
    Refresh my memory. Doesn't Danny try it at the end of part II and it gets blocked? Did that happen? It's been a very long time since I've seen that one.
    Not possible, because in KK1 Mr. Myagi says there is no defence against the crane kick.
  • Dirt3 10 May 2018 10:25:58 358 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The rules always appeared fairly fluid to me, in the tournament there's all sorts of shenanigans going on.

Anyway in the original Elizabeth Shue breaks down the rules to Daniel-san.

"Everything above your waist is a point. You can hit the head, sternum, kidneys, ribs."
  • Dirt3 10 May 2018 10:40:41 358 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The rules always appeared fairly fluid to me, in the tournament there's all sorts of shenanigans going on.

Anyway in the original Elizabeth Shue breaks down the rules to Daniel-san.

"Everything above your waist is a point. You can hit the head, sternum, kidneys, ribs."

Makes sense - not allowing hits to vital areas like the legs and nuts.

My last post didn't work for some mysterious reason.
  • Rivuzu 10 May 2018 10:45:20 17,311 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Makes sense - not allowing hits to vital areas like the legs and nuts.
    Where exactly do you think your brain is located, sir? Behind the knee? Bottom of your foot?
  • Dirt3 10 May 2018 11:30:10 358 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Karate is all about muscle memory.

Paint the fence and all that crap.

The brain is secondary to the ability to strike.
  • Rivuzu 10 May 2018 11:45:41 17,311 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah because who needs higher functions such as thinking, understanding stimulus, breathing etc when you can kick people on reflex.
  • Dirt3 10 May 2018 11:59:37 358 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Yeah because who needs higher functions such as thinking, understanding stimulus, breathing etc when you can kick people on reflex.
    Exactly.
  • Lankysi 10 May 2018 15:38:40 21 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Finished watching the first series yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I'd practically written it off before watching it. Of all the intellectual properties that have been dug up from the past, this is hands down the best rebirth of the lot.

It respects the original source material, but does something truly interesting and unexpected with the storyline as a whole, without turning the original characters into fumbling caricatures of themselves, or simply sidelining them to make way for the new, younger talent. It's far better conceived than you'd ever imagine.

There were some eye-rollingly cheesy (and sometimes predictable) moments, but it almost works in the programme's favour, keeping the tone in line with its cheesy 80s roots.

If you have any interest in the original Karate Kid film I'm almost certain you'd love this series. If not, I'm not so sure, but it sure is entertaining.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. This is exactly how I felt about the whole series. Really enjoyed it and it's getting good reviews across the board. It finishes on a massive opening to a possible season 2, I really hope they all sign, I thought it was great.

robthehermit wrote:
    Addyb_V2 wrote:
    Refresh my memory. Doesn't Danny try it at the end of part II and it gets blocked? Did that happen? It's been a very long time since I've seen that one.
    Good memory, he does indeed get blocked. Eventually defeats him with the mystical power of Mr Miyagi's magic drum and a honk on the nose.
    Yep and he wins the third one with some dazzling "dance" moves that totally befuddle the opponent after "I can't Mr Miyagi, I'm scared!"
  • OllyJ 10 May 2018 15:51:52 4,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • OllyJ 10 May 2018 15:52:31 4,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmmm I don't think we can take the word of Danny's GF as the written in stone rules of the All Valley Karate Tournament.

until someone quotes the organisation directly, then Danny should have been DQ'd.
  • Zeffi 17 May 2018 09:22:05 988 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Late to the party - just finished watching this.

Was sooooo much better than it should have been, fingers crossed for a season 2.

NO MERCY!
  • monkehhh 28 May 2018 19:33:27 4,918 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Loved this. It sounded like a bad idea on paper but, god knows how, the balance just works.
  • spleendonkey 28 May 2018 22:00:41 276 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stupid question but how do you guys watch it in the UK? Can't seem to get it to play
  • Stranded87 29 May 2018 08:26:44 1,811 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @spleendonkey it should just work through whatever you're watching YouTube (the first two eps anyway, the remainder you need to buy and I'm not sure if all devices/YouTube apps support that functionality), but once you've bought them those too should be playable on anything.

Prob not a helpful answer, but basically we're not jumping through any hoops or anything, so strange that it's not working for you.
  • Evasion 12 Jun 2018 23:45:02 17 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    This was a genuinely good show. Surprising.

On the note of the tournament rules: I've never been to a karate tournament before, but I once practised a different martial arts style, and the rule was that kicks to the head were allowed, but not punches. Why? I don't know, but maybe that is the sort of rule that the movie featured.
  • neilka 13 Jun 2018 00:51:18 21,701 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are you sure you've never been punched in the head?
  • Evasion 13 Jun 2018 00:59:44 17 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Yep. Thankfully, I never did something like boxing or Muay Thai, or I would have been squashed very quickly.

Oh, and the rule I mentioned isn't uncommon, as far as I know. I believe that it is used for Taekwondo in the Olympics.

Edited by Evasion at 01:04:25 13-06-2018
  • Your-Mother 13 Jun 2018 01:01:11 1,854 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If only we had an open taekwondo champion to confirm.
  • Evasion 13 Jun 2018 01:11:27 17 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    If only...

I guess we could always take a look at this instead: http://www.britishtaekwondo.org.uk/about-taekwondo/the-sport/
  • JiveHound 13 Jun 2018 02:15:39 9,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Evasion wrote:
    Yep. Thankfully, I never did something like boxing or Muay Thai, or I would have been squashed very quickly.

Oh, and the rule I mentioned isn't uncommon, as far as I know. I believe that it is used for Taekwondo in the Olympics.
    Whoooosh! :D
  • Evasion 13 Jun 2018 02:47:25 17 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I know, I know...I missed the joke. (Honestly, I still don't know what it was.) But hey, we should get back to discussing the actual show. Yes, I'm frantically trying to change the subject.

Edited by Evasion at 02:48:05 13-06-2018
  • djronz. 30 Jun 2018 13:49:51 413 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have just watched the first two episodes and this actually seems pretty good, sure it's a bit cheesy but so we're the films.
  • richarddavies 30 Jun 2018 13:58:06 6,284 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Me and the missus finished it last week. Really enjoyed it overall. Just an easy to watch throwback to 80s movies. Looking forward to the next series.
  • sirtacos 6 Jul 2018 06:42:25 8,033 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished ep. 7 and this show makes me so happy
  • macmurphy 6 Jul 2018 10:36:41 3,280 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I never even did karate but i used to box and visited a mate in Japan so he took me once. Was kicking anywhere I think, but only punching to body, or legs I guess if they’re kicking you. I presumed nut shots were frowned upon.

It was fucking annoying, loads of people trying to take my head off with their feet and me just trying to get body shots which was hard as they were kicking from miles away.

Edit: reading back that makes sense that only above waist scores. Can’t remember any low kicks, just vicious high swinging ones.

Edited by macmurphy at 10:38:50 06-07-2018
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Jul 2018 10:49:06 39,669 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just looked at a few scenes from the first episode. Is LaRusso supposed to be a bit of a twat, and Johnny the main/sympathetic character?
  • sirtacos 6 Jul 2018 11:16:50 8,033 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes

But LaRusso is not as much of a twat as Johnny's estranged kid with a 90s boyband haircut, constant angsty pout and eminently slappable face

Edited by sirtacos at 11:22:58 06-07-2018
  • monkehhh 6 Jul 2018 11:18:21 4,918 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @UncleLou pretty much, they're both dicks though. It leans a bit more toward Johnny being the lead.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.