Would you survive?

First Previous
  • RandolphCarter 8 Mar 2018 22:42:13 1,114 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I'm watching an episode of Ben Fogle where he visits twin brothers in America who live completely off-grid. It's made me wonder if I could survive if shit suddenly hits the fan.

The truth is, I have only basic practical skills that would be useful in the event of societal collapse. I own no land, I cannot grow my own food nor do I have a surplus stock of food that would last me and my family for more than ten days.

Playing games and watching things like The Walking Dead makes surviving the collapse of civilisation seem somewhat easy, but the reality is I would probably be dead in a matter of months.

Do you think you would fare any better and if so, why?
  • Load_2.0 8 Mar 2018 22:45:23 27,368 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have the advantage of already being a cannibal.
  • RandolphCarter 8 Mar 2018 22:49:25 1,114 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    I have the advantage of already being a cannibal.
    I think most people would resort to cannibalism, if they were out of other options.
  • FuzzyDucky 8 Mar 2018 23:00:46 3,307 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd probably survive better than if I was in the US right now, school children shooting numpties that they are.
  • RandolphCarter 8 Mar 2018 23:03:34 1,114 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    I'd probably survive better than if I was in the US right now, school children shooting numpties that they are.
    You're a school child?:eek:

I thought you were older.
  • LegendaryApe 8 Mar 2018 23:12:02 1,763 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I would be okay.

I love beans and have many swords.
  • Malek86 8 Mar 2018 23:14:45 7,161 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't be ridiculous, of course I would freaking die in like two seconds.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 8 Mar 2018 23:27:16 32,075 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would die exceptionally quickly. More quickly than human biology should even allow for. If it'd take a week to starve to death, I'd die in 3 days.

Edited by DFawkes at 23:28:02 08-03-2018
  • RandolphCarter 8 Mar 2018 23:48:13 1,114 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I would die exceptionally quickly. More quickly than human biology should even allow for. If it'd take a week to starve to death, I'd die in 3 days.
    I often feel like this in work when it's 11:30am and lunch time isn't until 1pm. I shouldbe able to survive until 1pm without food, but it seems physically impossible.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Mar 2018 00:14:17 7,570 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I already live outside a city so I've got an advantage when the need to escape comes.

Got a decent selection of camping gear for the early period, experience of bothying and running an allotment.

I'm not hugely outdoorsy but I'd probably stand a chance for a few weeks maybe.

Thing is, if everything is going to go the way of The Road, would you want to?
  • ZuluHero 9 Mar 2018 00:15:06 6,517 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd like to think that avoiding the initial mayhem caused by the collapse of society greatly enhances your odds, but truth be told, once all the tinned stuff starts becomes scarce, or worse starts going off in a few years things will get tough. I'd like to think I could survive for a little while as long as I avoided the initial rush, but mid to long term my prospects are bleak.

Edited by ZuluHero at 00:15:45 09-03-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Mar 2018 00:27:15 7,570 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Unless you're already an established crofter on a site sufficiently far out not to attract savages I'd guess most would be finished by the first winter
  • neilka 9 Mar 2018 00:27:18 21,729 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suspect most people on this forum could last a few years on reserves.
  • Skirlasvoud 9 Mar 2018 00:44:34 4,023 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can hardly keep afloat in a functioning society. God forbid should it collapse.
  • mal 9 Mar 2018 01:17:32 29,326 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    The truth is, I have only basic practical skills that would be useful in the event of societal collapse. I own no land, I cannot grow my own food nor do I have a surplus stock of food that would last me and my family for more than ten days.
    The first rule of the end of the world is to get a big stick and raid your nearest supermarket, surely?

Also, growing stuff is a piece of piss. Turn over the land with a fork, spread on any muck you can get your hands on in the autumn, plant seeds in the spring. If the neighbours have gone to pot, ferment some nettles in a big bucket and water them with that once they're reasonably established.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Mar 2018 02:51:51 13,030 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not a problem, I've got a portable hotplate
  • Zippity-zap 9 Mar 2018 04:12:27 330 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As I'm living in a densely populated city in the most densely populated country on the planet (and not a citizen of said country), I'd last maybe an hour. Depends on how long my front door holds up, I guess.
  • oibignose 9 Mar 2018 07:08:39 50 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I doubt Id be in the 0.1% of people who last over a year after something akin to the event in The Road happens. Dont think I could be bothered.
  • Fake_Blood 9 Mar 2018 07:53:45 8,865 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I need to admit, on days when I'd wish everyone would just leave me the fuck alone I sometimes fantasise about an "i am legend" scenario, ie everyone is dead but by and large infrastructure is still intact.

First I'd get my house hooked up to a generator before all the power plants go into fail safe mode after being unattended for 48 hours, and I'd steal a fuel truck which I would park next to my house.
    Then stock the house with food, drink, drugs, guns, blurays and games.

If there is any kind of fighting or survival involved I'm dead in an hour though.
  • mothercruncher 9 Mar 2018 08:06:42 15,119 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Id definitely survive- proved it MANY times actually.
    First, Id get a motorbike helmet, put that on, then hunt for a UMP9 and, preferably, a suppressor all the while nervously fidgeting left/right left/right. Move toward the supply drops, make like a shadow, left/right left/right. BAM. Win.
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 Mar 2018 08:55:26 5,847 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Id definitely survive- proved it MANY times actually.
    First, Id get a motorbike helmet, put that on, then hunt for a UMP9 and, preferably, a suppressor all the while nervously fidgeting left/right left/right. Move toward the supply drops, make like a shadow, left/right left/right. BAM. Win.
    You need to have +1 in crafting skills to get anywhere these days though. Just finding stuff isn't enough.
  • Load_2.0 9 Mar 2018 09:03:39 27,368 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I'd steal a fuel truck which I would park next to my house.

If there is any kind of fighting or survival involved I'm dead in an hour though.
    Probably in a massive fireball.
  • elstoof 9 Mar 2018 09:11:47 20,794 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does anyone have a comprehensive list of potable water locations in and around the greater London area?
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Mar 2018 09:16:01 32,301 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    You're a school child?:eek:

I thought you were older.
    Tell it to the judge.
  • robthehermit 9 Mar 2018 09:18:34 6,669 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd go Mormon hunting.
  • Zippity-zap 9 Mar 2018 09:21:28 330 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @elstoof There is no such list.
  • Tonka 9 Mar 2018 09:21:38 28,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd probably struggle to be honest. It also depends a lot on the time of year. Imagine if the collapse came in the fall when it's too late to plant anything.

My family does have hunting rifles and some land so there's some thing stacked in my favour. But I think actually surviving would be a lot harder than most people imagine. bet the options would be to become a serf on some farmers land or starve to death in a ditch.
  • Load_2.0 9 Mar 2018 09:21:53 27,368 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Does anyone have a comprehensive list of potable water locations in and around the greater London area?
    There's one in my basement.

It gets so warm down there you won't need to wear many clothes when you come to fill your flask.
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 Mar 2018 09:25:43 5,847 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I'd probably struggle to be honest. It also depends a lot on the time of year. Imagine if the collapse came in the fall when it's too late to plant anything.

My family does have hunting rifles and some land so there's some thing stacked in my favour. But I think actually surviving would be a lot harder than most people imagine. bet the options would be to become a serf on some farmers land or starve to death in a ditch.
    I remember that series with Bear Grylls (was it with him?) called Survivor or something... (very hazy memories) where the contenders really struggled with even making a fire, and then catching food. Even knowing what you can eat and how to prepare it to not get sick would be a massive challenge, even without armed thugs and cold weather making life all the more difficult.
  • elstoof 9 Mar 2018 09:25:47 20,794 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

My family does have hunting rifles and some land so there's some thing stacked in my favour.
    Youll just be one of the first to get shot when they come for your land and you walk out waving the deeds at them

Edited by elstoof at 09:26:52 09-03-2018
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.