Games make you right wing

First Previous
  • Technoishmatt 12 Mar 2018 19:29:22 3,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not quite sure what to make of this nonsense:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/12/video-games-fuel-rise-far-right-violent-misogynist

Especially:

since Brexit, British games advocate isolationism or nostalgia for empire
    I'm left a little speechless.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Mar 2018 19:40:28 10,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was half expecting a parody piece. Sure there are issues with the gaming community, gamergate, toxic communities whatnot but to imply that the games that are made today at fuelling the right wing is stretch and a half. I'm struggling to think what the author was referring to by the anti Islam games in the 2000s.
  • nickthegun 12 Mar 2018 19:40:34 76,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, you can't argue with the results.
  • neilka 12 Mar 2018 19:42:45 22,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apparently you couldn't tear Hitler away from Peggle 2.
  • drhickman1983 12 Mar 2018 19:49:06 5,650 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tried to read it but ended up skim reading it; total garbage.

I'm not convinced it wasn't a parody.
  • thelzdking 12 Mar 2018 19:49:52 8,818 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aren't they more likely to make you a basement-dwelling weirdo with a burning resentment over the fact that you can't connect with women which then leads to misogyny and MRA silliness which goes hand-in-hand with being anti everything associated with feminism? So you then appear right wing when in reality you just need a shag?
  • Deleted user 12 March 2018 19:49:58
    This is what I don't get about The Guardian. On the one hand you have top-grade investigative journalism of the kind that you never see in any other British publication anymore today, and on the other you have self-indulgent, op-ed tripe like this masquerading as journalism.

I'd expect this kind of shit from The Independent nowadays.
  • thelzdking 12 Mar 2018 19:51:08 8,818 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Apparently you couldn't tear Hitler away from Peggle 2.
    Solitaire made me believe in private healthcare.
  • mal 12 Mar 2018 19:52:55 29,326 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Alfie Bown goes on the list.
  • thelzdking 12 Mar 2018 19:53:42 8,818 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FilthyAnimal wrote:
    This is what I don't get about The Guardian. On the one hand you have top-grade investigative journalism of the kind that you never see in any other British publication anymore today, and on the other you have self-indulgent, op-ed tripe like this masquerading as journalism.

I'd expect this kind of shit from The Independent nowadays.
    Clicks innit.
  • Malek86 12 Mar 2018 19:57:30 8,026 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How many times can you write "rightwing" in a single article? Too many, apparently.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Mar 2018 19:58:18 4,880 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A quick google of the author show he's a classic pseudo-academic loon.

There's probably an interesting debate to be had about the relationship between video games and the formation of political views. I'd even be open to the argument that the goal-oriented, meritocratic nature of many games is inherently capitalist. But that dribbling idiot of an author is not the one to spark any kind of interesting debate. A rapid visit to Private Eye's Pseud's Corner in store for him, I suspect.

Edited by Rogueywon at 19:58:43 12-03-2018
  • mal 12 Mar 2018 19:59:49 29,326 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    FilthyAnimal wrote:
    That's the difference between the paper (and I assume the main website) and the 'comment is free' section. News versus op-ed.
  • DreadedWalrus 12 Mar 2018 19:59:52 1,774 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think there's probably an interesting debate to be had about this. But using things like Farmville and Plants vs Zombies as examples of "rightwing ideologies" in gaming is just silly. And what exactly is the right-wing ideology of "princess recovery"? I know what it is as a game conceit - a way for Mario and Zelda games to exist and give the player something to ostensibly be aiming for, but it's not something I've ever seen talked about by right-wingers online. I'll need that one explained to me.

The Last of Us was used as an example, and maybe you could talk about the homophobic backlash against the plot twist in Left Behind. But instead, it's used itself as an example of rightwing ideology, because it features an infection, a bit like what people on the right think immigrants are during to our pure genetics, or something?
  • Malek86 12 Mar 2018 20:01:46 8,026 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    There's probably an interesting debate to be had about the relationship between video games and the formation of political views. I'd even be open to the argument that the goal-oriented, meritocratic nature of many games is inherently capitalist.
    You could say that about a whole lot of games (board games for example) and even sports in general, rather than just videogames.

Goals are the foundation of many many things.
  • Fab4 12 Mar 2018 20:06:57 8,771 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They just made me want to be a plumber, and Italian.
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2018 20:20:10 50,549 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno why you read the guardian. At least with the Mail itís clearly satirical nonsense, with the guardian itís trying to brainwash you from the off with its utter drivel.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Mar 2018 20:21:00 13,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's probably why this forum is such a hotbed of right-wing ideology. In contrast to all the open-minded and leftist old people who dislike games. Also why Germany had fewer problems with the far right in the old days before gaming.

In all honesty, there are some arguments here, but the entire package is just stupidly one-sided.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Mar 2018 20:21:22 17,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You think the mail is supposed to be satirical?
  • Technoishmatt 12 Mar 2018 20:27:05 3,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, that made me giggle.

Also, The Guardian long-reads can be really excellent.

You just have to know to void ridiculous pieces like this, and anything by Polly Toynbee.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Mar 2018 20:28:39 10,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago

SATIRE

Edited by JamboWayOh at 20:30:29 12-03-2018
  • DrStrangelove 12 Mar 2018 20:28:44 13,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Dunno why you read the guardian. At least with the Mail itís clearly satirical nonsense, with the guardian itís trying to brainwash you from the off with its utter drivel.
    The thing with the Guardian is that they've done some real quality journalism (especially in the past before their financial woes), and there are some columnists I really like (especially Gary Younge), but at the same time there's also a great amount of facepalm BS, particularly in the "comment is free" section.
  • thelzdking 12 Mar 2018 20:29:16 8,818 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Guardian may be silly, but the Mail is true poison.

Edited by thelzdking at 20:29:40 12-03-2018
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2018 20:30:08 50,549 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:

SATIRE
    Heh that made chuckle. Dem Turks.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Mar 2018 20:32:55 13,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I hope nobody would actually compare the Guardian to the Mail, one of the most hateful propaganda papers out there. I hope that was ironic.

edit: oh well...

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:33:16 12-03-2018
  • JamboWayOh 12 Mar 2018 20:33:52 10,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    The thing with the Guardian is that they've done some real quality journalism (especially in the past before their financial woes), and there are some columnists I really like (especially Gary Younge), but at the same time there's also a great amount of facepalm BS, particularly in the "comment is free" section.
    Like this beauty....

My son has 28 severe allergies. How could I take him to see Peter Rabbit?
  • thelzdking 12 Mar 2018 20:39:16 8,818 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Like this beauty....

My son has 28 severe allergies. How could I take him to see Peter Rabbit?
    Y'see, this is it, the Guardian is silly and hand-wringing, the Mail is hateful. They are very different.
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2018 20:47:55 50,549 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The mail is openly hateful and often funny for those who know itís a load of crap. The guardian is a a more snide, underhanded type of propaganda that preys on people using all manner of psychological tricks and warfare and is truly dangerous.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.