Games make you right wing Page 3

• Dirtbox 13 Mar 2018 02:50:42 91,097 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's just an extremely SJW take on the current games debate of which nothing will happen and no change will come.

Zany, I know.
  • drhickman1983 13 Mar 2018 06:48:35 5,905 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tried to reread the article. It's still nonsense. It's like the rambling of an undergrad student's dissertation, a 2.2 at best.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Mar 2018 06:58:21 7,134 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So... what's The Eurogamer then?

Plenty of Destiny bias for starters...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Mar 2018 07:01:52 10,237 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm playing Life is Strange Before The Storm at the moment

If the right thinks it'll turn me into a mass shooter and the left thinks it'll turn me into a reactionary anti-SJW edge lord why do I just want to spend all my non gaming time listen to melancholy indie-punk and being wistful?
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2018 07:13:37 29,526 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If GamerGate taught us anything it's that there are plenty of easily swayed young men with too much time on their hands in gaming circles.

But it takes rambling men with youtube channels a preferably top hats to sway their opinion. Not games.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Mar 2018 07:27:22 10,237 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the problem there is really toxic masculinity, a sense of lost privilege and entitlement, and a bitter victim mentality.

Gaming is pretty ubiquitous, I don't think you could blame it as a medium but gamer gate and the incel thing shows that it provides a nice power fantasy for some people who might be individually awful to gather.
  • SnackPlissken 13 Mar 2018 08:23:53 972 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I guess if you play as West Ham on FIFA
  • QotSAfan 23 Mar 2018 13:47:08 2,367 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I think the problem there is really toxic masculinity, a sense of lost privilege and entitlement, and a bitter victim mentality.
    Just what the hell is toxic masculinity? Is there toxic femininity? Rather, isn't there just toxic traits in general that can be found in any culture?
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Mar 2018 13:55:47 22,571 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    Just what the hell is toxic masculinity? Is there toxic femininity? Rather, isn't there just toxic traits in general that can be found in any culture?
    Toxic masculinity is a pretty well defined term. I am sure there is toxic whatever but in the context of this conversation it makes sense. Your comment has the sniff of "when's international men's day" about it.
  • Jono62 23 Mar 2018 13:58:00 22,202 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    19th November.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Mar 2018 14:18:00 22,571 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    "Toxic masculinity is defined by adherence to traditional male gender roles that restrict the kinds of emotions allowable for boys and men to express, including social expectations that men seek to be dominant (the "alpha male") and limit their emotional range primarily to expressions of anger." From wikipedia. I am fairly sure that contradicts your contention. You cannot attribute the social expectation of dominance to women as that is not an archetype of western society.
  • thelzdking 23 Mar 2018 14:24:02 9,354 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:
    My issue with it is the fact it conjoins the word toxic with masculinity, implying the two are synonymous.
    Is this statement meant to be ironic?
  • Deleted user 23 March 2018 14:28:38
    I think that article was pretty bollocks really. Its a veiled attack on human shit bucket and IP thief Palmer Luckey using gaming as a clandestine dagger. The better conclusion is Mr Luckey is gargantuan twat.

Facebook and Oculus agree because they showed him the door.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 23 Mar 2018 14:30:45 19,734 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:
    A nebulous term that has no real meaning. Basically, it's another phrase for "bullying" - the toxic part of the definition directly relates to bullying.

My issue with it is the fact it conjoins the word toxic with masculinity, implying the two are synonymous.

Virtually all of the descriptions of so-called toxic masculinity can be equally attributed to women. Gender has almost no bearing on it.
    Yeah thats not what it is at all.
  • thelzdking 23 Mar 2018 14:34:09 9,354 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:
    Is this statement meant to be ironic?
    Is your question meant to be rhetorical?
    No.
  • Fake_Blood 23 Mar 2018 14:35:03 9,491 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe itís a good idea to be nice to everyone, including the average white guy.
  • monkman76 23 Mar 2018 14:35:15 14,716 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I vote we don't spend the afternoon going round and round with Randolph the tiresome provocateur.
  • QotSAfan 23 Mar 2018 14:40:18 2,367 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    "Toxic masculinity is defined by adherence to traditional male gender roles that restrict the kinds of emotions allowable for boys and men to express, including social expectations that men seek to be dominant (the "alpha male") and limit their emotional range primarily to expressions of anger." From wikipedia. I am fairly sure that contradicts your contention. You cannot attribute the social expectation of dominance to women as that is not an archetype of western society.
    Sounds broadly like narcissism but dressed up in gendered language.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Mar 2018 14:46:23 22,571 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @QotSAfan sure, maybe but it is a gender specific form of narcissism with specific triggers and drivers related to gender stereotypes enforced by society.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2018 14:47:06
    "Toxic femininity is defined by adherence to traditional female gender roles that restrict the kinds of emotions allowable for girls and women to express, including social expectations that women seek to be subservient (the "good girl") and limit their emotional range primarily to expressions of adoration and empathy.""

As a working definition.

I'm sorry I'm bored at work.

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 14:47:34 23-03-2018
  • Rivuzu 23 Mar 2018 14:58:18 18,143 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "Toxic cuntuninity is defined by being a cunt for cunts sake and to fulfill your own cunting agenda, including social expectations that cunts seek to be disruptive (the "annoying cunt") and limit their emotional range primarily to expressions of shitposting and trolling."
  • nickthegun 23 Mar 2018 14:59:14 77,813 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What prompted this week old thread necro?
  • Your-Mother 23 Mar 2018 15:00:50 2,765 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    What prompted this week old thread necro?
    TOXIC MASCULINITY IS NOT A THING AND I'LL KILL ANYONE (probably women) WHO DISAGREES

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.