London city trip - Where to eat? Page 3

Next Last
  • jaangus 15 Mar 2018 12:03:20 5,383 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dishoom bacon naan for breakfast youll thank me later!

Cheap takeaway lunch i.e. under £8

Poland street (nr oxford circus) Kati roll company

Near there is also Keu who do an amazing pork belly bahn mi

All 3 places have websites

Edited by jaangus at 12:05:44 15-03-2018
  • Tonka 15 Mar 2018 13:16:11 29,587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Red_Bool mark them all up on Google Maps and save the map for off-line use. (Well, I guess with the new EU roaming thing you don't need to worry about that)

Plus, Google Maps in itself is surprisingly good at surfacing nice places to eat if you find yourself in a new place. Was a real help when I went to Verona last year.
  • elstoof 15 Mar 2018 14:03:59 23,444 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    McDonald’s on the A406 (North circular road) near Wembley is one of the better outlets
  • Red_Bool 15 Mar 2018 15:32:37 1,809 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka - I was thinking the same thing! My wife likes to plan things ahead, but I'm more a spur-of-the-moment person. So as a backup I'll just put the lot in google maps on my phone :)
  • wobbly_Bob 15 Mar 2018 16:38:34 5,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    @wobbly_Bob I'm speechless...just...wow!

I really didn't know what to expect when I posted my question, but the response has been overwhelming.

I was already wondering about Padella as it's quite close to the hotel. My kids will be disappointed that they don't have pizza (for them Italian = pizza ;)), but the menu looks really good.

It's actually quite funny: Instead of not knowing where to eat, we now have to decide where not to eat ;) (or we'll just take the whole list and decide on the spot)
    Glad I could help :) If you need any other suggestions! If it makes for a better trip then I'm definitely happy to help! Actually I remembered that the Oxford Street branch of Hoppers does take reservations. Anyway, if you need anything else give the Eurogamer collective a shout!
  • wobbly_Bob 15 Mar 2018 17:00:27 5,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    @wobbly_Bob do you have any recommendations walkable from the Royal Albert Hall? Always struggle to find anywhere decent near there!
    I don't kmow all that much around there, sorry. The only things I can think of is Yashin Sushi. That's pretty close :) http://www.yashinsushi.com/ The sushi dosen't come with soy and wasabi but instead is topped with various complimentary toppings. I haven't personally been and read some mixed things. Seems a bit love it/hate it thing going on with it. As I haven't personally been here I'm not going to endorse it but maybe worth a try if you got money to burn and are up for taking a chance? It's kinda on the pricey side.

Speaking of Sushi though not around there I can thoroughly recommend Sushi Ateliar if you are into sushi in any way. It's divine. So good that it even converted my OH who claims to hate fish into loving sushi! The prices are extremely reasonable. The sushi omakase, razor clam ceviche, and Butterfish Carpaccio are standouts. http://sushiatelier.co.uk/

The Harwood Arms is in that neck of the woods. I know it's not ultra close but not too bad especially if you are driving. As mentioned I eat out a lot and this is place plated up some of the best food I have ever tasted. Everything was amazing. Even the fucking blackberries on my dessert tasted better than any other blackberry I have had before. I'm convinced the kitchen is full of wizards. It holds a Michelin star and claims to be London's only Michelin-starred pub although to my mind it's not really a pub - it's a restaurant. It just happens to have a bar... so do lots of restaurants. Although it holds a a star it's very relaxed. No white table cloths! They also do an absolutely outstanding Sunday roast. http://www.harwoodarms.com/
  • wobbly_Bob 15 Mar 2018 17:01:32 5,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    As for the OP. I spend a lot of time eating out. I love food. Yes. I am a biffa or the more polite term "foodie" I eat out at on average once a week... so now I feel like all that wasted time, money, and calories can be put to some actual use!

London has so many great places to eat it's so difficult to narrow it down. I could be here all evening recommending you places to eat across so many cuisines! To narrow it down I'll focus on Indian food.

/snipped a load

Phew. That lot should keep you going :) Have a great trip!!
    One of my work colleagues is coming to London in a couple of weeks - I will send her this recommendation..
    Top work!
    Excellent! Hope they find it useful :)
  • Red_Bool 2 May 2018 12:21:58 1,809 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, we went to London last week, so I thought it would be nice to give some feedback.

I just put all recommendations in google maps and we decided on the spot where to eat.

We ended up eating at Dishoom (behind Hamleys), which was really, really tasty (though a bit too spicy for my wife's taste). We also went to Honest Burgers, which was actually across the street from the hotel :). We had a really good meal there as well. Borough Market was also quite near the hotel, but a bit too crowded. Padella was also right around the corner, but the queue there put us off (kids and patience....ha!)

Not mentioned here, but something we stumbled past on our first day was "The Real Greek" near the river side. It looked good and we were hungry, so we gave that a go. The food was ok-ish (a bit bland), but perhaps our standards regarding Greek food are a bit high since we happen to have a true 'real Greek' restaurant in our village. There must be a better Greek restaurant in London.

Of course our boys also had a vote, so we also did the Pizza Hut at Leicester Square (at least it's better than McDonald's...)

The rest of the time was spent sight-seeing and playing tourist ;)
  • wobbly_Bob 2 May 2018 13:22:42 5,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Red_Bool

Hopefully you enjoyed your time :)
  • Dirtbox 2 May 2018 15:20:01 91,140 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Elephant and castle
  • Red_Bool 2 May 2018 15:20:18 1,809 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob - We certainly did! My boys did start to complain about the amount of walking (on the first day already ;)). Even when taking the tube, the distances were still bigger than I expected.

Somehow I had never been to London before (my only UK visits were to Southampton and Redhill for work). The contrast in buildings and architecture styles is very striking.
    It also was quite hard to take a picture without a crane or scaffolding ;)

I'm keeping your recommendations for my next visit. I'm thinking of taking my dad to a Premier League football match if he fancies it (next season).
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.