Shadow of the Tomb Raider Page 2

• ChiefGB 10 Sep 2018 14:14:02 9,306 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh wait, reviews
  • ZuluHero 10 Sep 2018 14:20:31 6,587 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Destiny also seems to be preoccupying a lot of people too atm, most of my friendlist are on that (including me)
  • ChiefGB 10 Sep 2018 14:26:49 9,306 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes between destiny and Spider-Man I'm good thanks. The reviews of this seem pretty scattered, generally positive which is to be expected (it was never going to be a disaster) but doesn't really sound like it's taking things anywhere new, so no surprises. I'll wait see where the price settles between now and jan or so.
  • Phattso 10 Sep 2018 15:09:16 23,745 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah - I got the second one bundled with a GPU and that was about the right price. No rush to play basically the same game again in a new location, but I do like the rebooted series so I'll probably mop it up at some point. As it were.
  • ChiefGB 10 Sep 2018 15:18:37 9,306 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh yeah I'll pick it up, but I haven't even gone back to rise to do the dlc and leftover collectibles, tombs etc. So if I need a fix I've probably got enough to get on with for now. Worth playing but not needed day one and that's their problem really. Since the first one which was an event release at the time, I'm not sure they've been essential
  • Syrette 10 Sep 2018 15:20:02 49,960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The myriad of complaints about how miserable and serious this is are actually compelling me to play through it sooner rather than later!

Purely because I reckon I'll then appreciate Spiderman's tone even more after completing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, not to mention I think something bright and fun like Spiderman is the perfect antidote to the longer nights and colder days of Autumn.

Yes I'm weird.
  • TheSaint 10 Sep 2018 15:20:31 17,936 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Especially as it seems to be £50 everywhere. Knowing how quickly Square stuff drops in price this should be half that by black friday.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Sep 2018 15:20:37 4,077 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The EG review more or less confirms what I was expecting. I liked the first reboot game quite a lot, but its tonal one-note schtick was wearing thin by Rise. Not sure I have the endurance required for another 15 hours of miserable grunting and dead-eyed murder.

Edited by Rogueywon at 15:20:54 10-09-2018
  • quadfather 10 Sep 2018 15:30:41 32,878 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bit of a weird review tbh, compared against Kotaku's.

Still, I'm just biased because I preordered it without waiting for a review.

I love Aztec and Mayan stuff though, me. I should be at home enough with it.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Sep 2018 15:34:47 10,719 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It looks decent. Although I'm only just about to start Rise so it'll be a bit before I get to this. I have no real affinity for the old tomb raider as I fucking hated them. Quite like these new ones though. If Rise and now this are basically more of the first one then that's fine by me.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Sep 2018 15:39:36 4,077 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wuntyphyve The old Tomb Raider games were driven into the ground in the end by remorseless over-saturation, but the first two were very special. I really would have liked to see more of that tone make it into the reboots, once the first one got the grimdark origin story out of the way.
  • Rhaegyr 10 Sep 2018 15:45:37 4,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully we get a proper reboot of the originals in around 5 years time.
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 Sep 2018 15:57:34 7,683 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    The myriad of complaints about how miserable and serious this is are actually compelling me to play through it sooner rather than later!

Purely because I reckon I'll then appreciate Spiderman's tone even more after completing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, not to mention I think something bright and fun like Spiderman is the perfect antidote to the longer nights and colder days of Autumn.

Yes I'm weird.
    I don't think that's weird at all.

Makes sense.
  • jabberwocky 10 Sep 2018 16:04:47 149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rhaegyr You mean like Anniversary?
  • RawShark 10 Sep 2018 16:04:50 411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Semi-expecting someone to create a thread about Eurogamer review quality.
  • Malek86 10 Sep 2018 16:15:40 7,328 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What I really want to know is whether the plot and script are still bad enough to make me consider suicide as a possible way out.

I don't think anyone could do worse than ROTR, but you can never tell.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Sep 2018 16:16:56 10,719 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon I had a demo of the first one. I just found it incredibly clunky to control, even in an age were pretty much every game was clunky to control. I just never got on with it so just brushed the whole series under the carpet. Granted I should have maybe invested more time but iirc this was the same year (or thereabouts) as Duke 3d, Quake, Resident Evil, Red Alert and more, so it lost out to them with regards to my limited game buying faculties back then.
  • Rhaegyr 10 Sep 2018 16:17:04 4,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @jabberwocky

Reboot, not remake.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Sep 2018 16:21:33 4,077 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Combat was never the strength of the first game and there was always a certain lagginess to the controls that took a bit of adjusting to, particularly for timing jumps. But the level design was marvellous in many places, with large, complex areas requiring multi-layered puzzle solutions. The kind of thing where you could bang your head against a brick wall for an hour or so, before having a Eureka moment.

The second and third games improved the combat and control responsiveness somewhat, though was never the main attraction. After the third game, things went downhill rapidly.
  • Dougs 10 Sep 2018 16:30:50 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sigh. I just want a TR with greater focus on the puzzling and virtually no combat.

Re that Eureka moment, I once solved a puzzle in 1 or 2 in my sleep. Was dreaming about the game and worked out what I had to do. These days I can barely remember the controls of any game that I've put down for a couple of days.
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Sep 2018 16:34:45 39,740 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    John Walker, of all people, over on RPS is extremely impressed with the game, he just found it massively buggy.

It's really quite an interesting take, and sounds completely different to what I've read in the EG review (or on Gamespot).

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/09/10/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-review/

"That put aside, if it can be, Shadow – when working – is undoubtedly the best entry in this revised version of the series. And the largest reason for this is a change in who’s made what. Crystal Dynamics, they behind the splendid previous trilogy of Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, made the first two games, but increasingly sharing the load with Square’s excellent workhorse studio, Eidos Montreal. This time the main development duties have fallen to Eidos, with CD focusing on what they’ve always done best: the puzzles. And the result is fantastic."

"I kept being just taken aback by how layered and alive Paititi proves to be, with hours and hours of things to do, so many expansive side quests to carry out for characters, alongside the hidden tombs, challenge areas (smaller tombs, essentially), regional challenges, conversations and so on. It ventures incredibly close to BioWare territory in places, with a murder mystery to solve, people to rescue, and emotionally driven situations to resolve"
  • Syrette 10 Sep 2018 16:43:43 49,960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Sigh. I just want a TR with greater focus on the puzzling and virtually no combat.
    A little confused, since I thought that's pretty much* what this game is offering...

*I wouldn't go as far as to say there is virtually no combat (especially as i haven't played it), but apparently the amount of combat has been dialed down and the puzzles/tombs ramped up. Not to mention the customisable difficulty means the player can tone down the difficulty of the combat if they want to speed through those sections, without changing the difficulty of exploration and puzzles.

Edited by Syrette at 16:53:52 10-09-2018
  • Syrette 10 Sep 2018 16:46:16 49,960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @UncleLou

Yup. It's getting a real mix of reviews, not unlike its predecessors.

My take on it is if it's more of the same with some major changes (for better or worse), I'm fine with that as I enjoyed the previous two. I don't get the impression this is going to get any new fans on board though.
  • Dougs 10 Sep 2018 16:53:11 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The RPS review certainly indicates that, which is good. That didn't really come across in the EG review as clearly though. I'll pick it up when it hits £20-25 or so.
  • Technoishmatt 10 Sep 2018 16:54:41 2,814 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I will bite - really enjoyed the previous two.

My only beef is that they are so long :) I don't have the time any more.
  • Rhaegyr 10 Sep 2018 16:57:34 4,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought the original one was decent and never played the sequel so I'll probably give this one a miss.

Then again, I also think the Uncharted games are merely decent so I think there's something wrong with me.
  • Malek86 10 Sep 2018 17:10:55 7,328 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I find it interesting that some reviews are complaining that Lara is too much the focus in this game.

But that's exactly what I want from a videogame. Less focus on NPCs and other useless characters, and more focus on the player being amazing. I mean, does anyone want to see the world saved by an NPC? That's kinda an anticlimax.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:11:40 10-09-2018
  • beastmaster 10 Sep 2018 17:55:50 18,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Spider-Man is keeping me busy for now but I'm hammering it. Then move onto this and then Forza Horizon 4 and then Red Dead 2 and then SOULCALIBUR VI.

Fuck. :)

Edited by beastmaster at 17:56:05 10-09-2018
  • Syrette 10 Sep 2018 19:11:50 49,960 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @beastmaster

Yup, superb last quarter of the year and the early part of next year looks good too.
  • ilmaestro 11 Sep 2018 16:03:35 32,924 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Bit of a weird review tbh
    Perhaps because it didn't seem to talk about the actual game at all.

First two games were great, far more excited for this than Spider-Man.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.