Battletech (2018 PC game)

First Previous
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Apr 2018 20:31:36 3,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anybody else keeping an eye out for this? I was a big fan of both the Battletech and Mechwarrior games back in my teens, somehow even managing to complete Battletech 2: The Crescent Hawk's revenge, which still stands as one of the hardest games I've ever beaten. The idea of a new version, running with modern graphical tech (and UI) and seemingly incorporating XCom-like elements into the gameplay is seriously appealing.

But I've been disappointed before after allowing myself to get hyped up over impressive-looking trailers for franchised games (yes, Space Hulk: Deathwing, I mean you), so don't really want to allow my hopes to get too high. The franchise hasn't been treated well, to put it mildly, since the singleplayer Mechwarrior/Mechcommander games hit the end of the line back in the early '00s.

Still, maybe there's hope yet. With a new Mechwarrior also due at the end of the year, maybe it's time for a renaissance in Western-style military-mecha games, to help offset the flood of Gundam titles we get from Japan. Fun though Gundam and its ilk can be when done well, the Western franchises always (in my view at least) gave a better sense of scale and weight to mech combat.
  • Zyrr 3 Apr 2018 21:58:09 206 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I backed it and have tried out the beta build (skirmish mode only) and am really happy with the way it's been progressing. I used to play the original tabletop game many, many years ago, along with the Crescent Hawk's Inception/Revenge RPGs on the Amiga and the old Mechwarrior games on PC.

Some of the original FASA team are heavily involved with the development and are committed to making it as close to the original Battletech experiance as possible. I really can't wait to try out the full campaign as what they've been teasing looks exactly what I was hoping for.
  • Dgzter 3 Apr 2018 21:58:10 1,902 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup, very interested; looks fantastic and the level of customization on the Mechs sounds jaw-dropping.

If anyone is interested in seeing some of the early missions played out in full then this Twitch streamer had some form of early access through his affiliation with GOG.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjz_EX29fCY

Obviously, if game streaming isn't your jam then you may wish to avoid; also this is the single-player campaign, so fair warning that it's obviously quite spoiler-tastic.

At this stage I'm almost certainly going to be picking it up. End of this months it's out, right?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Apr 2018 22:00:47 3,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Dgzter Yep, 24th April.
  • THFourteen 3 Apr 2018 22:26:57 48,249 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Yep think I mentioned in the 10 games thread, i'm going to be ALL over this. Just started playing Dragonfall from my backlog to get into the mood for some Harebrained turn based strategy. Its excellent also!

Been ploughing through the Battletech books on and off, i'm on book 29 on this list now.

The videos I've seen so far look fantastic.

Remember MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries from my youth, loved the game and looking forward to the Piranha revamp of that too.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Apr 2018 22:33:57 3,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, reading around, this looks like it's going to be decent. Hands-on reports from preview builds are making all the right noises.

I've got quite a bit of credit on my Humble account. Mix that with my monthly-subscriber discount and I can get that pretty cheap. Guess that's my purchase decision made.

Comes out within a couple of days of Super Robot Wars X, which is also on my "must buy" list. Guess I'll be having a lot of turn-based mecha goodness in late April/early May.
  • Skirlasvoud 4 Apr 2018 08:14:49 3,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I’m trying very hard not to make this part of my “10 games this year”, but I’ll more than likely buckle under the weight of nostalgia.

I loved “mechwarrior 2: mercenaries” and “mechcommander”. While many of the later entries didn’t appeal to me, this seems like an excellent time to get back into the franchise.

Plus, I’m a sucker for single-player campaigns. I’ll wait for the reviews to come out and tell me if the campaign is any good, but I’ll be all over it if it is.
  • THFourteen 4 Apr 2018 08:39:36 48,249 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    I’m trying very hard not to make this part of my “10 games this year”
    Why would you do such a thing!
  • Dgzter 4 Apr 2018 10:00:26 1,902 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Comes out within a couple of days of Super Robot Wars X, which is also on my "must buy" list. Guess I'll be having a lot of turn-based mecha goodness in late April/early May.
    Also Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia is out early-May.

Don't think there's a thread for that yet, but I'm definitely interested in that as well :)

Edited by Dgzter at 10:00:50 04-04-2018
  • mrharvest 4 Apr 2018 10:46:34 5,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This is by Harebrained, wow.

I replayed the Shadowrun games last year and I'm going through the Antumbra mod just now. I was thinking just yesterday how cool it would be to have more games from them, maybe like a tactical battletech game. I must have read about this before and just forgot. Very excited now.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Apr 2018 12:38:08 3,048 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't have any Battletech experience but this looks interesting and I enjoyed the first two Shadowruns (backed them all too but not played through HK yet) by Harebrained so hopefully this is good.
  • joshap 4 Apr 2018 12:46:56 1 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Battletech is an awesome Pc game I really enjoyed whenever I played this game here I am also knowing about the entertainment application Exodus Kodi Here you watch the latest movies and play a game online
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Apr 2018 22:47:23 3,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    cdkeys has this for £24.99 at the moment, which is the best price I've seen. Picked it up from them. Pre-release reports continue to be very positive.
  • MikeP 23 Apr 2018 11:48:14 2,839 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does anyone know when reviews might be up? It looks really good from the previews I've seen, but I've been burnt too much to preorder anything these days!
  • THFourteen 23 Apr 2018 13:54:43 48,249 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm guessing it's probably midnight tonight aka tomorrow.

I'm also holding off but mainly because i wont have time to get to this before friday anyway even if i wanted to!
  • Dgzter 23 Apr 2018 13:56:59 1,902 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I've not caved on this yet, but mainly as I've got so many games on the go at the moment: I have, inexplicably, started a new Baldur's Gate play through. I don't know why either.

It does look fantastic mind you; will be interested to see what the reviewers make of it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Apr 2018 11:07:56 3,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Review embargo just lifted - and scores are coming in pretty nicely. EG Recommended and a mix of 8s and 9s from other sites. Steam's saying my pre-order unlocks in "approximately 5 hours", so will be giving it a whirl later.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Apr 2018 11:15:34 31,385 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I know fuck all about Battletech, but enjoyed Mechwarrior back in the day and do love me some stompy robots. I am tempted.
  • Dgzter 24 Apr 2018 11:16:55 1,902 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup, looking good :) will aim to pick it up this evening.

Any word on performance? Not seen much about that anywhere.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Apr 2018 11:31:13 31,385 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Alec Meer over at RPS seems a bit less enamoured with it.
  • Ironlungs_76 24 Apr 2018 11:37:06 153 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As tempted as I am to pick this up, it sadly releases the same day as Frostpunk which has been a no-brainer day 1 from me for 6 months or more.

Will get Battletech eventually, some of the brief clips and let's plays I've seen make it seem really fun.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Apr 2018 11:37:34 3,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes Aye, and his criticisms are worrying. I'm getting nasty flashbacks to the initial release of the recent-ish Space Hulk game (the top-down one, not the shooter), where all of the animations took far too long.

But other voices are highly positive and I suspect that, as with Space Hulk, overly-long animations can be patched easily enough.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Apr 2018 16:17:52 31,385 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, I just treated myself. Robot punching is on.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Apr 2018 16:21:48 3,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Game will unlock in approximately less than an hour."

Oh Steam, how delightfully vague your teasing can be...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Apr 2018 18:05:35 3,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just played 45 minutes or so of this. You can tell it's not an AAA game, but it's a seriously earnest effort. Combat seems decent. A bit more openly board-gamey than XCom, but that's no bad thing, I suppose.
  • ChiefGB 24 Apr 2018 18:11:28 8,327 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only picked up on this in the last few weeks, not really played much like it, like a bit of xcom etc. Don't really know how my pc will run it i5 2320, 8gb ram, 560ti. Seems my gfx card just about scrapes in the minimum. I should probably steer clear eh?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Apr 2018 18:21:44 3,357 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChiefGB It's not a demanding game at all. Admittedly, your GPU is so old that the reviews of it comment on how its sharp edges make it ideal for clubbing away velociraptors, but I suspect you will probably be ok.
  • THFourteen 24 Apr 2018 18:36:29 48,249 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Based on the RPS review I’m going to give it a miss for a little while anyway.

Got Labo arriving so I don’t have time for it anyway and it’ll be cheaper and better in a years time I imagine.
  • ChiefGB 24 Apr 2018 18:37:14 8,327 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lol I'm stuck with it as mines a mini case so I'm limited to lower profile cards. Is there a better one that fits that framework?
  • AaronTurner 24 Apr 2018 18:54:49 9,793 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have a AMD Nano which is pretty great although a few years old now.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.