Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

Lost him on the first mission :-/
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jun 2018 12:21:56 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Is there much of a trick to getting a whole mech? Just finished the first story mission and got two parts of a QuickDraw, seems a shame not to have all 3 parts.

Loving this game so far, just pottering and taking my time with it really. Thereís quite a lot to learn.

Also early on is it worth hiring extra pilots? I seem to be spending a decent amount of time on waiting for repairs and healing. I also donít really have 6 mechs I want to field anyway.
    An explanation of mech salvage:

1 part: Destroy the mech's centre torso. This is the most common means of destroying a mech, as damage to sections of a mech which have already been destroyed is redirected onto the centre torso. So unless you are very careful about distributing damage (angled, called shots etc), the centre torso will blow sooner or later.

2 parts: Destroy both legs without destroying the centre torso. Fairly easy to achieve with the Precision Strike morale ability.

3 parts: Incapacitate the pilot without either destroying the centre torso or both legs.

So the real trick here is achieving the 3 parts condition. You incapacitate a pilot by either destroying the cockpit (RNG-based and very rare, even with a called shot on the cockpit), or by reducing their health to zero. Pilots lose a point of health when one of the following happens:

- The cockpit takes a (non-fatal) hit. This is random chance, though you can improve the % by attacking from a higher elevation than the target mech. The chance to hit the cockpit applies on each hit (and how much damage the hit does is irrelevant), so the easiest way to achieve it is with weapons which do a lot of hits per attack for not very much damage. Machineguns, flamers and LRMs are good picks.

- A side-torso is destroyed. This is pretty easy to do. Damaging side torsos is easy and you can position yourself relative to the enemy mech to pick which side you want to hit, even without a called shot. Knocking out one side-torso piece is an easy pilot injury. Unfortunately, because of the aforementioned damage-redirection issue, destroying both side-torsos while leaving the centre-torso intact is much harder.

- The mech gets knocked down. This happens either if it has a leg destroyed (good for one easy knockdown, but not two unless you want to settle for just 2 pieces of salvage). It also happens if the mech gets hit while already in an "unsteady" state. To rack up stability damage to an enemy mech, use low-raw-damage but high-stability-damage weapons like missiles and small autocannons. Melee attacks from mechs with no arms (and hence low melee damage) are also good.

Early in the game, pilots will have 3-4 health points, meaning that a side-torso loss and a couple of knockdowns (or a head hit) are all you need. Later in the game, you're looking at 5-6 health (and more if the mech has a special cockpit). That requires careful precision work to get 3 salavage; using low raw-damage weapons, spreading damage across the target carefully and going for repeated knockdowns but not following up with further attacks while the enemy mech is downed.

On pilot numbers - I ended up with 8. More than that is unnecessary and too expensive.
  • ChiefGB 8 Jun 2018 14:24:12 9,419 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not gone back to this yet but, is there much strategy to the out of missions stuff? I.e do you have to research stuff ala xcom or just buy attachments etc with money earned?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jun 2018 14:33:54 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChiefGB Once you get far enough into the story that you get access to the Argo there is research of a sort, in that you can upgrade your mothership to grant various bonuses, some of which carry over into the tactical game. You also need to put some thought into levelling up your pilots, as this involves irrevocable choices (a la XCom) and you need to play close attention to team composition and how your pilots match up to your mechs.

Beyond that, there is the obvious stuff around buying/selling weapons and parts. There isn't a traditional XCom research tree - not least because you're at a point in the setting where technology is going backwards, not forwards (though that dramatically reverses 25 years down the line, when the Clans come to play).
  • THFourteen 8 Jun 2018 17:23:57 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Cheers for that very helpful

Stupidly I assumed once I knocked one down I could stamp directly on his head.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jun 2018 17:34:27 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen Death from Above - the melee attack that jumpjet equipped mechs can do - has an elevated chance of causing a head hit. It's by no means guaranteed, but is still a good way to try for a cheeky bit of head-damage.

Knocking a mech down and doing a called head-shot with a machinegun or flamer is also a good trick. Don't forget, though, to turn off your higher damage weapons when attacking a downed mech, if you're trying to salvage it.
  • THFourteen 8 Jun 2018 17:41:45 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Another question actually now that you mention jump jets - how many do you need? Itís not really clear to me or I donít know exactly where to look on screen.

Thereís a lot thatís not too clear tbh. Like the phase numbers, the evasion chevrons etc. Dunno if I missed it but only found that stuff out from YouTube videos.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jun 2018 17:48:53 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen If you mean in terms of "how many jumpjets do you need on a mech", then I'm not sure - I think three is the minimum (one on CT and one on each leg). Adding more will increase your jump distance, as will using larger ones.
  • sunjumper 8 Jun 2018 19:29:20 3,438 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Regarding jump jets: I'm pretty sure two will do and it seems that the game doesn'T really care where you place them. How ever I have always installed the symetrically or in the centre torso as anything else would have hurt my sense of aesthetics and physics.

More jump jets mean more range. This can lead to strange situation like an assault mech with the maximum possible number of jump jets being able to jump further than it can sprint.
    Also, more jump jets also means you can jump higher which comes in handy turning a mountain range into a shortcut instead of a tedious road block.

@ChiefGB
    The customasation of the mechs also adds a strategic layer but that is more based on your designs as you are not able to research new weapons.
  • THFourteen 8 Jun 2018 20:37:22 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @sunjumper Ah yes i already have one (non assault mech) that can jump further than it can move and its really useful.

Whilst i'm asking for help, how the fuck do you work out how much damage is needed to kill a tank?
  • sunjumper 8 Jun 2018 22:24:28 3,438 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @THFourteen
    First of all: tanks are bloody bastards. They are armoured in ways that will make you furious and green with envy. Heavy tanks have the armour of the gods.
    Which means that in the worst case scenario you will be raining death on them for hours and they will just happily crush your lance like cockroaches.

However beneath all that armour they are mainly fuel and ammo duct taped together with nitrocellulose. So you have to change your approach a bit.
    You will want to use weapons that punch through armour at one point: like gauss rifles and AC (probably heavy lasers and PPCs too but I hardly use them as their damage output is a bit pants) these will be able to punch holes into the armour and once they reach the inside, the tank will explode no matter how much armour it has left.

Avoid missiles they are practically useless against tanks especially the heavier ones. You can use SRM6s after shooting it with your favourite AC, in this case you may land a lucky hit and destroy it if your ballistic weapons where not quite enough.

Once you reach the mid game be very careful when approaching tanks. Read their descriptions some of them have weapon load outs that are beyond ridiculous, these are priority targets.

Oh and the last and greatest tip, if a tank happens to be in melee range save the ammo and just go and stomp them. I have yet to see a tank which you cannot one shot kill with a good stomp. It is very efficient and incredibly satisfying.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jun 2018 22:30:14 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @sunjumper Added to that, LRM carriers are the worst fucking thing ever. Apart from SRM carriers. Those are worse.
  • sunjumper 8 Jun 2018 22:53:55 3,438 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • THFourteen 9 Jun 2018 08:09:23 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks both.

This game is so good! It's like a mix of pokemon (collect em all), Diablo (LOOT) and XCOM (strategy meh).

And the storylines alright
  • Skirlasvoud 9 Jun 2018 13:14:40 4,039 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Giant Robot Amputation Pokemon!
  • THFourteen 9 Jun 2018 22:09:40 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ooooh Jagermech. Sweet.

Almost had a hunchback - but didn't have enough salvage to pick up all three pieces ABOO.
  • THFourteen 11 Jun 2018 20:54:34 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cyttoraks-illustrated-tutorial.1090127/

This is a really helpful guide IMO
  • MikeP 13 Jun 2018 16:04:50 2,888 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I have some mirror-world Dekker in my team. Twice he's popped the cockpit of an opposing mech, leaving me with an intact chassis once I've hosed the head out. Neither occasion has been off a called shot/precision strike.

I'm still a bit light, I only have two heavy mechs in my lance, but I'm enjoying slowly upgrading my ship and gradually building up my cash and kit supplies.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jun 2018 16:31:56 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @MikeP Outgoing head-kills are lovely when they happen, but the chances are so low that there isn't much you can do to engineer them. Basically happens when the random head-hit chance triggers on a high-damage single-impact weapon like a PPC or AC20.
  • THFourteen 13 Jun 2018 16:43:28 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think i've plugged about 30 hours into this game so far. Still havent progressed past the Weldry mission, as i've been doing ALL the contracts i can possibly get my hands on.

Which should tell you how much i am loving this game, i rarely complete pointless side quests in games.

Apart from it being strategy based, it has that wing commander feel about it to me, lost in space, chatting to your team mates on your ship in between missions.

Its one of the few games in a long time thats got me sitting here at work wishing i could go home and play it
  • MikeP 13 Jun 2018 17:05:05 2,888 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rogueywon Yeah, even though I have pretty well-skilled pilots now, that 5% called shot to the head hasn't worked out yet.

Some of those later tanks are a right pain, as people have pointed out. Triple PPC units, LRM spammers...

I find myself picking it up to play a contract, then completing three or four. Very much a game you can have a quick or extended session.
  • THFourteen 18 Jun 2018 10:05:08 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Getting stuck into the main quests now. Just captured Victoria and decoded the device That was a fun fight, given the state of my team when they arrived, and given what they arrived with!

Definitely hitting a difficulty spike, which is good as was really steamrollering the 2skull missions previous to this.

Just completed one where two of my mechs were literally on the floor (down but not out), somehow managed to pull of a turnaround with some great tactics (RNG). 8 mechs in that mission against my lance of 2xShadow Hawks, Hunchback and Jagermech

Got a couple of lower end heavies now, e.g. Dragon, but they don't seem hugely flexible on how i can kit them out, the upper end mediums seem more useful for now.

Did have some fun with a firestarter on one mission, sending it in jumping around and shutting down mechs in a desert environment was hilarious fun. Till he got punched in the face, but oh well right.

The one thing so far that i could do with out is the length of time it takes to refit mechs, it hampers experimentation

Edited by THFourteen at 10:05:56 18-06-2018
  • sunjumper 18 Jun 2018 13:06:55 3,438 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @THFourteen

You are reaching the sweetspot of the game. I think the middle part is the most glorious where the game is at its best.

I'm stuck very close to the ending noticing that I was having to much fun with the side missions so that I have lost a bit of momentum and have reached a point where my lance and my tactics have reached a point where I can pretty much deal with everything the game throws at me. (I'm this ][ close to having four perfect 10 pilots and now have finally eight assault mechs in my bay, so I'm only a mission or two away from ending the storyline)

However overconfidence still leads to disaster. In a strange way the game resembles the likes of Godhand and Dark Souls here. If you don't respect your foes or the mission you will get crushed. Which is something that helps with the longevity of the game. (I just checked I have over 100 hours of playtime o.O; when did that happen?!)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Jun 2018 15:04:09 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen The Dragon is basically a tank (in RPG-role terms, not in terms of being a vehicle with treads). It's under-gunned for its size, but has heavy armour and a very strong melee attack. Use it to get in enemies' faces and draw fire, punching them whenever you get close enough.

Mech refit times should drop sharply if they ever advance the timeline to the 3050s, so we get omnimechs (which can be refitted in hours rather than days).
  • sunjumper 18 Jun 2018 15:24:00 3,438 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    Have you ever found a good use for Dragons? I quickly came to see them as quick cash as the role of "tank" doesn't really work (for me) in this game.
    So far the tankiest mechs I have found are the Thunderbolt and the Battlemaster which seem to have a very favourable armour to weapon balance.
  • THFourteen 18 Jun 2018 15:28:03 49,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't generally seem to do that well with "up close and personal" mech builds.

Maybe its because i mainly have mediums at the moment, but anything with less distance than a medium laser, i tend to take at least 2-3 hits whilst i close the distance to my opponent, plus leaving your rear open to attacks.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Jun 2018 15:34:21 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used a Dragon for a while at about the same point in the campaign that THFourteen is up to now. Tanking is of mixed effectiveness in this game, I found, but that's generally because of how the AI works. The AI will consistently focus on whichever mech it thinks is most fragile, which can make it difficult to focus them on a tank-role. That said, get a tanky mech in among them punching stuff in the face and you can really ruin their day.

In the end-game, I was using my Atlas II as a tank. I did briefly consider trying a Banshee, which in some respects is the ultimate tank (insane armour, very high speed), but the firepower sacrifice (it's an assault mech with a medium mech's weapons loadout) was just too severe.
  • sunjumper 18 Jun 2018 15:43:30 3,438 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @THFourteen
    Up close and personal only works against vehicles at first. Once you get heavies it become are more tenable strategy. Although I still only punch enemies as a last resort thing. My close combat strategy is usually composed of many medium lasers and as many heatsinks and armour.

@Rogueywon
    I had the same reaction to the Banshee. I was very impresed with it at first until I noticed that it can't fight itself out of a paperbag... and there is hardly anything you can do to change that.
    My "tanks" right now are a regular Atlas with two AC/20 and LRM6s who can take the punishment it recieves when trying to get into range and a Battlemaster full of lasers which has a bit of a heat problem...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Jun 2018 15:55:33 4,317 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @sunjumper Battlemasters could be lovely but... oh my word those heat issues.

Still have nostalgia value, though, from when they were the top-end mech in the original DOS MechWarrior game. :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.