Battletech (2018 PC game) Page 8

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Jun 2018 15:57:19 4,679 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fourpece10 wrote:
    okkkkkk
    Sorry for distracting you from your vital task of posting ultra-dodgy World Cup spam-threads.
  • sunjumper 18 Jun 2018 15:59:19 3,482 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @sunjumper Battlemasters could be lovely but... oh my word those heat issues.

Still have nostalgia value, though, from when they were the top-end mech in the original DOS MechWarrior game. :)
    Well you stuff them full with medium lasers, this gives you the tonnage to add heatsinks (and lovely jumpjets) and then you can go to town. Twice...
    After that you need to cool of for a bit.
    On the other hand put that thing in water and you can jump and alpha strike for quite a while. :D
  • MikeP 18 Jun 2018 17:32:41 2,892 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm working my way through the storyline steadily, and really enjoying the game overall. It's still easy to make some silly tactical mistakes, but that's part of the fun, learning how the game works.

Now at the point where I have a respectable squad of pilots (most 7-8 skills) and a full heavy lance of three Thunderbolts and an Orion. Working well so far.
  • THFourteen 18 Jun 2018 17:52:03 50,252 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any of you seasoned veterans tried the Roguetech mod? Lots of people on Reddit raving about it.

As an aside Iím now on book 31ish of the BattleTech series having ploughed through about 25 over the last three years.

Mindless drivel mostly but v entertaining
  • sunjumper 19 Jun 2018 09:03:41 3,482 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Any of you seasoned veterans tried the Roguetech mod? Lots of people on Reddit raving about it.

As an aside Iím now on book 31ish of the BattleTech series having ploughed through about 25 over the last three years.

Mindless drivel mostly but v entertaining
    I've yet to try any mod as I'm still happily plaing the vanilla version. But once I'm through the story I wouldn't mind some variety. Apart from variations on the loadout of a mech I would welcome a more varied AI with personalities for pilots. But I guess the latter would be very hard to mod into the game, if at all possible.
  • THFourteen 19 Jun 2018 09:20:36 50,252 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-battletech-update-1-1-release-notes.1106263/

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Ultrawide monitor support. BATTLETECH now supports displays with 21:9, 64:27 and 43:18 aspect ratios. Known Issue: a few cosmetic-only bugs still exist in this experience, but given the high-demand for ultrawide support we felt that these minor issues did not need to hold up its release.
    We moaned and they listened

A tonne of updates it seems.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jun 2018 09:48:09 4,679 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A hell of a lot of balance tweaks in that patch.

Stability increases across the board, so playing whack-a-mole knockdown just got a lot less feasible as a tactic. Will also make it harder to capture mechs intact through pilot kills.

Some big reductions in heat generation for many weapons, but a small increase in heat from M Lasers. Looks like they'd realised that the previous heat allocations made it very hard to justify certain weapons (i.e. you'd never use an L Laser, but rather you'd strip it off and replace with multiple M Lasers).

I'll be interested to see how the AI tweaks play out.
  • MikeP 19 Jun 2018 09:51:11 2,892 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Quite a lot of balance changes there. Large laser heat gen has been massively reduced, which addresses the fact lots of people strip them and stack mediums.

Stability has been increased on heavier mechs, so I suspect I'll have to modify my current squad, which is built towards knockdowns and called shot kills.
  • THFourteen 19 Jun 2018 09:53:18 50,252 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My M Laser mechs already run quite hot, probably skipping 1 out of 3 turns, or at the least not firing all weapons...

Prob need to add more heatsinks but cant get the balance of armour right.
  • sunjumper 19 Jun 2018 10:24:53 3,482 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thoe balance improvements sound very good. Finally it may make sense to actually use large lasers and PPCs now look at least viable.

@THFourteen
    I have the same expirience with my medium laser mechs. They tend to balance this out with their damage output. getting the right amount of heat sinks is tricky as they need as much armour as they can get.
  • THFourteen 21 Jun 2018 10:13:53 50,252 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bah. Cheated today. Knocked out a Black Knight with a few knockdowns and a lucky headshot.

But i only had 2/11 salvage on that mission.

So i reloaded the save game 5 times until i got all 3 pieces by RNG.

I feel dirty. But new shiny which is the first mech i own that can realistically equip a PPC or large laser without gimping itself :-)
  • sunjumper 21 Jun 2018 10:41:58 3,482 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You just looked at different timelines and chose the one that was best for you. I think, as long as this does not turn into an addiction you will be OK.

Also you just got a Black Knight which is enough of a punishment in my eyes.
  • MikeP 21 Jun 2018 11:12:12 2,892 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Are we still using spoilers in the thread?

Because I've just done one story mission that was pretty tough. Maybe it scales, but I dropped a 3/4 heavy lance into an (allegedly) two skull scenario and I think it'd be pretty tough if you were only going in with mediums...
  • sunjumper 21 Jun 2018 11:31:46 3,482 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Some of the story missions are strange cliff faces in the difficulty curve, which love throwing escalting amounts of overpwoered mechs at the player.

The new patch is said to have balanced the missions better but I think this might only be true for the randomly generated ones.
  • THFourteen 21 Jun 2018 11:35:43 50,252 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Are we still using spoilers in the thread?

Because I've just done one story mission that was pretty tough. Maybe it scales, but I dropped a 3/4 heavy lance into an (allegedly) two skull scenario and I think it'd be pretty tough if you were only going in with mediums...
    Which part of the story are you at? I've only done about 3/4 story missions i think, but one of them was quite hard, keep the trucks from escaping (failed), and at the end random mechs jump in but passed the rest of the tasks and went through alright

I had a lance of mediums + one jagermech for that.
  • MikeP 21 Jun 2018 12:30:58 2,892 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I've done that one. I tried to see how you can deal with the bit you failed, but I sacked that off too - it seemed like there was no way I was going to get into a position to deal with them.

This one is deeper into the story. It's a spicy meatball!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Jun 2018 12:40:14 4,679 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some of the side-objectives in the supply depot mission are virtually impossible (the "stop the trucks" ones). Having browsed around the forums, the only way to complete those objectives is to have spent a hell of a lot of time doing side-missions so that you have an assault mech capable of charging straight to the trucks and killing them quickly, while still withstanding the punishment that will come its way for pushing so far ahead.
  • sunjumper 21 Jun 2018 13:29:50 3,482 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    I managed that mission destorying the trucks with a lance of heavy mechs.
    However it took me what felt like a billion retries and I only did it after I knew that one mech had to a) run like hell to be even near the first truck when it appeared and b) you need a significant amount of luck to stop the trucks without getting utterly destoryed in the process.

What seems to (kinda) work is having a heavily armoured mech sprint, have at least one other mech conentrate on disabeling turrets and have the other two to distract the enemy forces.
    After that you need to find a way to get your lace back together while very carefully picking your enemies apart without exposing yourself to their fire.

I hated that mission. It's not not about strategy but about knowing in advance what is going to hapen, with a large side order of dumb luck.
  • MikeP 21 Jun 2018 14:10:52 2,892 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You'd have to grind for ages to be Assault-mech capable for the Supply Depot mission. I tried twice and then was like "screw the trucks"
  • THFourteen 25 Jun 2018 16:41:41 50,252 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Made a bit of progress since last time, my lance now consists of any from the available 2x Highlanders, 2x Orion K variants, 1x Orion V variant, 1x Black Knight, 1x Dragon, 1x Quickdraws and 2x Shadow Hawks.

All obtained without cheating i might add ;-)

On the defend dropships from leaving @ smithson story mission definitely finding that missions are still do-able with some tactics but usually end up after a mission with a few injuries and some repairs to do which all takes time.

Not making much money at the minute except story missions, going for max salvage, but i end up keeping all my stuff because its ++ weapons or mechs i dont have / want a duplicate of, so not selling much.

Still got £8m in the bank so not too bad, op costs about £450k at the moment
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Jun 2018 16:50:56 4,679 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen Sounds like you're in a good place. Highlanders are awesome. Even in the end-game, they're the best option for a fast sniper role.

Having injuries/repairs to do at the end of a mission is par for the course. One of the biggest differences between Battletech and XCom is that "perfect" missions are virtually impossible in Battletech. In 60 or so hours with the game, I think I've had two missions where I had no internal damage or pilot injuries at the end. I generally consider it a good result if I have no mech-limbs or hard-to-replace weapons destroyed.

Once you get the 4+ rated missions, you can coin in the cash by going max-salvage on contracts and selling all the spare assault mechs you get. Banshees are terrible mechs, but the game will throw loads of them at you and they have great sale value.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Jun 2018 19:43:15 4,679 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh, also worth noting...

I've installed a LosTech recurrence mod now, to extend the value of end-game. It makes LostTech equipment (ER Lasers, Pulse Lasers, ER PPCs, Gauss Rifles and Double Heat Sinks) available - albeit rarely - in the shops of systems with an "Former Star League Presence" or "Black Market" tag.

Quite fun going around picking up Star League tech and boosting my lineup to higher power-levels.
  • ChiefGB 25 Jun 2018 20:19:07 9,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did the first proper story mission last night, decker survived. Did I do good?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Jun 2018 23:17:07 4,679 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I did the first proper story mission last night, decker survived. Did I do good?
    Yeah. :)

Decker is still alive in my many-hours-into-post-game playthrough. He's pretty much my top pilot - I really got the right skill selection on him.

Glitch gets the best voice-lines, though.
  • THFourteen 26 Jun 2018 05:41:51 50,252 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sadly Dekker and I never got the chance to get acquainted. Useless fekker.
  • THFourteen 26 Jun 2018 05:43:06 50,252 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Yeah slowly starting to learn the dos and donts like donít put your +++medium lasers on your arms even though thereís an accuracy bonus because arms get shot off all the time.
  • MikeP 26 Jun 2018 10:54:42 2,892 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rogueywon Glitch totally does.

I've just completed the evacuation storyline mission, where you have to project the drop ships and the fuel tanks. - managed to get it pretty much perfect, but the bonus was that one of the opposing mechs was a Battlemaster, and I somehow got lucky and incapacitated the pilot without destroying the mech. So IT'S MY BATTLEMASTER NOW. pew pew pew pew pew pew
  • MikeP 26 Jun 2018 10:54:43 2,892 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • THFourteen 26 Jun 2018 11:17:26 50,252 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeP wrote:

I've just completed the evacuation storyline mission, where you have to project the drop ships and the fuel tanks. - managed to get it pretty much perfect, but the bonus was that one of the opposing mechs was a Battlemaster, and I somehow got lucky and incapacitated the pilot without destroying the mech. So IT'S MY BATTLEMASTER NOW. pew pew pew pew pew pew
    Haha i did exactly the same yesterday!

The mission itself was easy enough, but i spend about 10 turns afterwards having downed all the other mechs, following this battlemaster around the map, trying to blow out its right and left torso one shot at a time to incapacitate the pilot.

i also got the new shiny :-)

How are you refitting it? the default loadout sucks IMO
  • sunjumper 26 Jun 2018 12:41:39 3,482 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    MikeP wrote:

Haha i did exactly the same yesterday!

The mission itself was easy enough, but i spend about 10 turns afterwards having downed all the other mechs, following this battlemaster around the map, trying to blow out its right and left torso one shot at a time to incapacitate the pilot.

i also got the new shiny :-)

How are you refitting it? the default loadout sucks IMO

Medium lasers, heat sinks, armour and jump jets.

Not quite as effective after the latest update but it still makes a great tank.

Talking about the last update. Large lasers and PPCs are still not really worth it in my opinion.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.