Battletech (2018 PC game) Page 10

• THFourteen 5 Sep 2018 11:52:56 50,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/battletech/battletech-update-13-career-mode?tw=PCGN1

I wish i had no job and all the time in the world to play all the games and all the updates i want to play :-(
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Dec 2018 22:50:58 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've gone back to playing this again now the Flashpoint update is out. Dear god, they've done a lot of work on this. The new DLC content is pretty great. Three new mechs, lostech now available in random missions (albeit rarely), new flashpoint scenarios, new mission types that require light/medium mechs even in end-game and so on.

Also, performance is hugely increased compared to how it was a launch. No more stuttering. At all.
  • sherpa1984 6 Dec 2018 11:13:59 779 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really need to give this another go. I bounced off it after 8 hours for no particular reason.
  • RunningMan 6 Dec 2018 11:21:14 2,939 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I've gone back to playing this again now the Flashpoint update is out. Dear god, they've done a lot of work on this. The new DLC content is pretty great. Three new mechs, lostech now available in random missions (albeit rarely), new flashpoint scenarios, new mission types that require light/medium mechs even in end-game and so on.

Also, performance is hugely increased compared to how it was a launch. No more stuttering. At all.
    Performance is why I got a steam refund on this. Might go back and re-purchase.
  • THFourteen 6 Dec 2018 11:22:43 50,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Apart from the STUPIDLY long loading times, performance was OK for me on most machines.

Has that been fixed yet?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Dec 2018 12:04:34 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen Load times are still long, even running from an SSD. Performance other than that is far, far better than it was at launch.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Dec 2018 15:28:18 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Put a lot more time into the Flashpoint expansion over the weekend. Started a new game in the new Career Mode (which gives you a randomised line of starting mechwarriors and light-medium mechs and has no main story missions). Worked my way back to the stage where I'm fielding a mixed heavy/medium lance.

Overall, generally impressed with the Flashpoint stuff. I've only done one of the actual flashpoints so far, which was a steep challenge, but picked up one of the new mechs, the Hatchetman (a 45T medium). I confess I was a bit disappointed when they said the expansion would only have 3 new mechs, but the Hatchetman is really different to any of those in the main game. It has a unique melee weapon that gives it overwhelming melee damage compared to other mechs, backed up with a default load-out of close-quarters weapons. That gives you something that you end up treating more like a Gundam or other anime mecha than your traditional Battlemech. It also makes them priority targets when the other side is fielding them. Let them get in close and they can really ruin your day.
  • THFourteen 11 Dec 2018 12:10:05 50,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Alright alright bump this thread like 3 times in 3 days you know i'm going to bite.

Picked this up for ~ £10 on a dodgy key website, and started up a career game. Played two missions so far, forgot how much i like this game. And its fun at the start when you dont have 8 assault mechs in your bay.

Performance definitely improved, plays fine now @720p on my gpdwin 2, had to lower it to 540p beforehand.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Dec 2018 12:26:04 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen It feels like a very different game with a hybrid light/medium lance. In the original game's campaign, the default starting lance has three mediums and a light (so you are out of that territory very quickly). Starting a career-mode game with a medium and three lights (combined with no big paydays from plot missions) meant I spent a lot more time getting to know the light mechs, rather than treating them as inconveniences to be squashed.

I really got the feel the glass-cannon punch of the Jenner, the hit-and-run missile spam of the Locust and the general uselessness of the Commando. I came to fear the approach of a pair of enemy Firestarters, knowing how quickly they could shut down and fry my mechs if I let them get close. Above all, I had to adopt a playstyle that made much more use of mobility and cover, rather than the damage and stability trading game that heavy/assault mech battles tend to boil down to.

I'm back to a mixed heavy/medium lance now, which already feels very different to where I started out, albeit still a long way removed from the end-game battles that made up most of my playtime pre-expansion.
  • Bleh 24 Dec 2018 12:02:58 344 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had this game waiting for me in my library but after seeing this thread I had to start playing it. I knew it was going to be a good game otherwise I wouldn't have backed it but them I love it. I really like that they encourage you to keep moving instead of having an overwatch ability.

Still figuring stuff out. Made a mech with all long range weapons but ingame the hit percentage where pretty low even if I backed up further. Is it possible to see ingame what your range is from an enemy mech?

The loading times are fine on my end the problem I'm having is that the game is rather unstable and it crashes sometimes. And the way they handle the save system is rather strange. It keeps making a new file for every save but because it's kinda buggy I end up with a lot of save files so I have to clean it up after awhile. And the lack of a quick save is rather annoying as well.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Dec 2018 12:49:02 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bleh When you give a mech a move order and are setting its facing direction, the cone that shows its weapon arc will have shaded regions in it. These show the optimum range for the mech's various weapons systems. As you've noted, long-ranged weapons like LRMs and PPCs have a minimum range, below which their accuracy drops sharply. This is quite large on low-level pilots, but as their tactics skill increases, their minimum range is reduced.

But if you're getting very low accuracy even when you have range, it's probably down either a lack of line of sight, or the enemy having too many evade stacks. If the sight line between your mech and an enemy is curved rather than straight, it means you are firing without line of sight. Only indirect fire weapons (LRMs) can fire under these circumstances and even then only with reduced accuracy. Again, raising the tactics skill reduces this penalty.

If evade stacks are the problem, there are a number of things you can do. The "precision fire" morale ability will give you a solid accuracy boost (and push back the target by an initiative phase to boot). The sensor lock ability (the first one in the tactics branch) will strip 2 evade stacks from a target (but you can't use it and attack in the same turn). Alternatively, a mech with multi-targetting (the first gunnery skill) can fire one shot each at a bunch of targets, stripping one evade rank from both of them.

The nature of the game is that early on, when you are fielding light and medium mechs with low level pilots, accurancy on both sides of the battle is usually going to be poor. In the late game, when you have slower heavy and assault mechs in the field and pilots with high gunnery skill, you'll see a higher proportion of shots landing on target and armour starts to matter a lot more than evasion.
  • Bleh 24 Dec 2018 21:21:14 344 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    Thanks, so those are the range indications. I did see different colours on them but didn't thought about it being the range indicator. That's good to know. Next question is how do I see the optimal range? Is it the light or darker colour?

I think it might have gotten some evade stacked up and the mech was station in a forest. In the end I did use a precision fire which did some very nice damage. Took the mech clean out but after that mission I haven't really used him anymore. Now I know what to look for when using him.

All in all it's a clean and informative UI. And thanks for the tip about late game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Dec 2018 22:22:25 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bleh The lighter the shading, the more of the mech's weapons are in optimal range. All weapons have an absolute-maximum range (though in some cases it is pretty long). PPCs and LRMs have a minimum range. SRMs have a maximum-optimal range, beyond which their accuracy tails off.

The game changes dramatically as you progress. Early fights are all about those evasion stacks. Evasion is life with light mechs. Keep running and take shots when you can. It's scrappy, messy and fights are often over after a couple of hits.

In the late game, things get much slower and more deliberate. Assault mechs take a hell of a lot of killing. Late-game pilots have such good accuracy that evasion-stacks have only a minor impact. It becomes much more about managing your firing angles, heat and late-game pilot abilities.
  • Bleh 25 Dec 2018 09:41:24 344 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    And once again thanks. I picked weapons which are more or less within the same optimal range. Some of the default mech have variating optimal ranges on their weapons so I thought let's give it a try to make a sniper mech with all the same optimal ranges. So I can give a massive damage blow in a single strike. To compensate I put a lot of heatsinks on him.

Depending on the map but usually I try to get some flanking on the enemy. In most cases it works pretty well. In this case my sniper mech ended up shooting the back of the enemy mech. That's why it blew up so pretty.

Only fought one heavy mech in a story mission and it indeed took some time to get it down. In the end it became a melee battle in order to keep heat down. Can't wait to get my hands on some as well.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Dec 2018 11:19:52 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bleh Got the hang of taking mechs intact yet? That's going to become quite important for you soon, especially if you want some heavy mechs. The trick is to rack up the pilot injuries without destroying the centre torso. This means head-hits (multi-hit weapons like LRMs and MGs good for these), knockdowns (stability damage or destroy a leg) and side-torso destructions.

Melee attacks are actually really good for this, particularly if you're hitting a mech larger than you. They do shitloads of stability damage, but their raw damage isn't that high, so they don't often destroy the target (unless you're using a Hatchetman, of course).
  • Bleh 26 Dec 2018 09:40:40 344 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    Yes and no. I did once get a lucky headshot but the hit percentage on this is pretty low so I don't really go for them. When using precision strike I usually go for the legs but the shots end up everywhere.

I try to avoid using melee with a lighter mech against a heavier mech. Thought a heavy mech would do more damage against a lighter mech. Same think whem you use melee on a vehicle it gets extra damage. But I didn't think about the stability damage.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Dec 2018 16:51:07 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bleh Let me know if I'm going overboard on these posts. My view of Battletech is that it is a great game that explains its systems poorly. But I may be going way overboard here. Anyway... salvaging mechs...

The amount of salvage you get from a mech depends on how it dies. Obviously, you need three pieces to get a full mech. With common mechs you run into on almost every mission (Jenner, Wolverine, Jagermech etc) I don't tend to worry too much about going for clean kills, as you'll get three parts easily enough spread across a few missions. But if you run into something rare, exotic or which is just a big upgrade for your squad, you want to try to get all three parts from it, as you never know when you'll meet another.

1 Salvage Part: Mech dies after the Center Torso is destroyed, or after a fatal ammo explosion. The most common way for mechs to die.

2 Salvage Parts: Mech dies after both legs are destroyed. Moderately tricky and usually requires focus-fire on legs.

3 Salvage Parts: Mech dies after the Head is destroyed, or after the pilot takes enough head-hits to be incapacitated. Can be very tricky, but basically what you want to aim for.

Destroying a mech's head outright is rare and requires huge amounts of RNG. It generally happens if a high-damage single-shot weapon (like an auto-cannon) lucks out and hits the head. You can't really rely on this. So if you're going for a full-salvage from a single mech, you need to be focussing on stacking up the pilot wounds. Early in the game, pilots will take 3-4 hits to kill them. In the late-game, they'll take 5-6, which makes things much harder. There are three ways to stack up the hits.

Head hits: Non-fatal head-hits always do a point of damage to the pilot, even if they don't penetrate the armour. Low-damage multi-hit weapons are a good way of getting these (LRMs and MGs). There are two ways to boost the chances of a head hit. First, use Precision Strike and go for the head. Second, be on a higher elevation than the target. You've a higher chance to get head hits when you're higher than the target (and if you're lower, you're more likely to hit legs).

Knockdowns: Whenever a mech gets knocked down, the pilot takes a point of damage. Mechs can fall over if they have the unstable debuff (gained when they exceed their stability threshold) and then their stability-damage bar (the yellow segmented one) gets filled. To build stability damage without destroying the mech, use high-impact lower-damage weapons like LRMs, PPCs or AC2s/AC5s. Melee hits are also excellent, but be careful not to attack a mech from an already-damaged side with them. You can also cause a knockdown if you destroy a mech's leg. Obviously, you can only do this to one leg (or else you get the 2-salvage kill condition). Don't aim for a leg if a mech is already about to fall over. If you can manage it, a neat trick is to knock a mech over with stability damage, then shoot out a leg when it stands up again, sending it right back down.

Side-torso destruction: Pilots lose a point of health whenever the Left Torso or Right Torso is destroyed. This is an easy way to get a point or two of damage in, as you don't even need Precision Strike (just attack the mech from the relevant side). However, this does tend to stack up the damage on the target, so do it with care. Once a side torso is destroyed, any more hits to that side of the mech get mapped straight onto the Center Torso, so you risk blowing it up for just one salvage.

Mix the techniques above (you'll likely need to mix up all three by the mid-game) and you can fairly reliably get 3-salvage kills. It's time consuming, though, so you may want to blast down the other enemies in the vicinity first, so you can focus on taking down your target at leisure.
  • THFourteen 26 Dec 2018 19:00:48 50,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Glad to see someone else enjoying this game :-)

Have got a reasonable lance of 2 heavy mechs, 3 mediums and 3 lights going on my career game now. Balancing the books really adds an interesting dimension that isn't there during the campaign play.

Do i grab that Large Laser i really want, or do i do the sensible thing and pick up another piece of a jenner that i can sell off for 300k and keep me going for another month....I'd really like to outfit that catapult with some LRMs but i don't have any good ones so its Medium Lasers and SRMs for now... I really need some cash but i only have 2 lights and 2 mediums available so what skull level should i choose....
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Dec 2018 19:13:32 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen I'm fielding a full assault lance now in career mode, albeit one with a fucked up composition. A King Crab, two Cyclopses (one of each model) and the PPC-armed version of the Banshee.

Not an ideal lance, but I'm doing 4.5 skull missions with it pretty easily.

Some of the flashpoints have mad rewards.
  • Bleh 26 Dec 2018 20:32:03 344 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    No worry, some thinks I know and the others are very handy to know.

Currently the only problem I have with the game is that it keeps crashing on me. Only today I had another crash after a long fight after I selected the salvage items and gotten the rest of the salvage items, just before pressing continue. Luckily I remembered to save just before the end otherwise I had to do it all over again. Made a bug report on the forums. I just don't know, tried all kinds of things but I keep getting BattleTech.exe caused an Access Violation error. It's the only game I'm having problems with.
  • THFourteen 26 Dec 2018 20:49:10 50,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bleh

https://steamcommunity.com/app/637090/discussions/0/3317353727671532549/

Any help?
  • THFourteen 26 Dec 2018 20:49:27 50,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Heh banshee. Went straight in the bin on my campaign play through.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Dec 2018 21:49:26 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen There are two models of the Banshee. The 3E model is utterly terrible - massively under-gunned for its size. I'm using the 3M model, which ups the firepower a fair bit (though still low for an assault mech) at the cost of awkward heat management. Don't get me wrong, the moment I get a better assault mech, I'm dumping it, but my only alternative right now is yet-another-Cyclops (which isn't a fantastic mech either). One thing the Banshee does have going for it is insane armour - so you can run it into battle first and let it tank.

On a different note, I just - finally - managed to salvage an intact Catapult K2. That's the ultra-rare variant which replaces the LRMs with PPCs. In my campaign playthrough, I only ever met the one you meet in a story mission (which I failed to salvage). Never managed to encounter another. But I just met two in a three-mission flashpoint. Got one salvage part from the first and two from the second.

The mech's not actually all that good (the basic C1 model is better) and it has awful heat management. But hey... rarest mech in the game, by most accounts.
  • ChiefGB 27 Dec 2018 08:27:06 10,079 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another game on the tbc pile for me, started it, liked it. kind of scared to boot it up due to the time commitment it takes to play through properly and the depth of some of the discussions in here blows my tiny little mind.

Shame,shame,shame.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Dec 2018 09:05:09 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChiefGB You can complete the campaign story in around 35 hours or so, which isn't terrifying.

A few of us here are doing post-game and career-mode stuff, which sends the time commitment through the roof. :)
  • Bleh 27 Dec 2018 09:52:08 344 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen
    Thanks, but that didn't worked :(
  • Bleh 27 Dec 2018 10:02:41 344 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ChiefGB
    I know what you mean. Was holding of as well but seeing this thread popup every now and than I just had to start it. Must say I don't regret it.

It's not that bad, a lot of things are self explanatory especially if you played other mech games before. It's just some nuances which aren't being explained very well. But others here explain these things very well.
  • THFourteen 27 Dec 2018 11:28:12 50,888 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bleh

Think that helped me massively, I read the books and played stuff like Mechwarrior 4 so I vaguely knew what I was doing before I started.

Otherwise itís a bit unexplained in game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Dec 2018 22:13:41 4,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just hit a big payday after a flashpoint. Not so much the cash rewards themselves - though those were decent. More the fact that the rewards included full-models of the Black Knight, Orion and Kintaro.

The first two of those I had no need for, so just sold. I also have no need for the third, but it's so rare that I stuck it in storage rather than sell it.

My cash situation now looks very healthy indeed. That should let me finish the Argo upgrades.
  • Bleh 29 Dec 2018 09:58:28 344 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice going.

I'm starting to feel what you ment with it's going slower and you need more armor. They slowly getting more reinforcement so the battle takes a bit longer which means my mechs take a bit more damage. Still not that bad it's just a shame repair takes so long leaving most of the month as downtime.

I also like how the AI concentrates on one mech. Pulling it back getting other mech priority target. It's nicely done. Just need the second mechbay unlocked so I can have more mechs ready.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.