Battletech (2018 PC game) Page 10

Next Last
  • THFourteen 5 Sep 2018 11:52:56 50,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/battletech/battletech-update-13-career-mode?tw=PCGN1

I wish i had no job and all the time in the world to play all the games and all the updates i want to play :-(
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Dec 2018 22:50:58 4,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've gone back to playing this again now the Flashpoint update is out. Dear god, they've done a lot of work on this. The new DLC content is pretty great. Three new mechs, lostech now available in random missions (albeit rarely), new flashpoint scenarios, new mission types that require light/medium mechs even in end-game and so on.

Also, performance is hugely increased compared to how it was a launch. No more stuttering. At all.
  • sherpa1984 6 Dec 2018 11:13:59 771 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really need to give this another go. I bounced off it after 8 hours for no particular reason.
  • RunningMan 6 Dec 2018 11:21:14 2,916 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I've gone back to playing this again now the Flashpoint update is out. Dear god, they've done a lot of work on this. The new DLC content is pretty great. Three new mechs, lostech now available in random missions (albeit rarely), new flashpoint scenarios, new mission types that require light/medium mechs even in end-game and so on.

Also, performance is hugely increased compared to how it was a launch. No more stuttering. At all.
    Performance is why I got a steam refund on this. Might go back and re-purchase.
  • THFourteen 6 Dec 2018 11:22:43 50,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apart from the STUPIDLY long loading times, performance was OK for me on most machines.

Has that been fixed yet?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Dec 2018 12:04:34 4,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen Load times are still long, even running from an SSD. Performance other than that is far, far better than it was at launch.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Dec 2018 15:28:18 4,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Put a lot more time into the Flashpoint expansion over the weekend. Started a new game in the new Career Mode (which gives you a randomised line of starting mechwarriors and light-medium mechs and has no main story missions). Worked my way back to the stage where I'm fielding a mixed heavy/medium lance.

Overall, generally impressed with the Flashpoint stuff. I've only done one of the actual flashpoints so far, which was a steep challenge, but picked up one of the new mechs, the Hatchetman (a 45T medium). I confess I was a bit disappointed when they said the expansion would only have 3 new mechs, but the Hatchetman is really different to any of those in the main game. It has a unique melee weapon that gives it overwhelming melee damage compared to other mechs, backed up with a default load-out of close-quarters weapons. That gives you something that you end up treating more like a Gundam or other anime mecha than your traditional Battlemech. It also makes them priority targets when the other side is fielding them. Let them get in close and they can really ruin your day.
  • THFourteen 11 Dec 2018 12:10:05 50,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Alright alright bump this thread like 3 times in 3 days you know i'm going to bite.

Picked this up for ~ 10 on a dodgy key website, and started up a career game. Played two missions so far, forgot how much i like this game. And its fun at the start when you dont have 8 assault mechs in your bay.

Performance definitely improved, plays fine now @720p on my gpdwin 2, had to lower it to 540p beforehand.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Dec 2018 12:26:04 4,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen It feels like a very different game with a hybrid light/medium lance. In the original game's campaign, the default starting lance has three mediums and a light (so you are out of that territory very quickly). Starting a career-mode game with a medium and three lights (combined with no big paydays from plot missions) meant I spent a lot more time getting to know the light mechs, rather than treating them as inconveniences to be squashed.

I really got the feel the glass-cannon punch of the Jenner, the hit-and-run missile spam of the Locust and the general uselessness of the Commando. I came to fear the approach of a pair of enemy Firestarters, knowing how quickly they could shut down and fry my mechs if I let them get close. Above all, I had to adopt a playstyle that made much more use of mobility and cover, rather than the damage and stability trading game that heavy/assault mech battles tend to boil down to.

I'm back to a mixed heavy/medium lance now, which already feels very different to where I started out, albeit still a long way removed from the end-game battles that made up most of my playtime pre-expansion.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.