Are you a director?
  • DasBooter 19 Dec 2019 22:19:45 486 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lol
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Dec 2019 22:38:54 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Absolutely slaughtering flashpoints in post-game now. Doing most unrestricted missions with Atlas 2, Atlas, King Crab, Annihilator. All of my pilots have 9 tactics so I can pop off the headshots like crazy. With the massively increased availability of high-end gear and LosTech, you can get stupidly powerful now if you know how to play.

I've got lances configured for heavy and medium restricted flashpoints as well. Heavy is Marauder, Cataphract, Rifleman, Raven. Medium is Griffin 2N, Trebuchet, Kintaro, Raven.

Raven is just an amazing force-multiplier.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Dec 2019 09:43:11 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    How bloody long are your lunch breaks??

Are you a director?
    I am a Game Director funnily enough :-) But only an hour - which is usually enough for a mission or two.
  • Gregolution 20 Dec 2019 10:00:18 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So this is under 12 quid on sale at the moment and on my wishlist. Is it worth playing? Is it nice and strategic or grindy? I really dislike games where I need to grind to level up really high and mindlessly fly through content. No idea if this is like that though
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 Dec 2019 10:27:24 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution It's not particularly grindy. Figure 30-40 hours for your first story playthrough.

Campaign mode (story) has a mix of pre-defined story missions and procedurally-generated side missions. You will need to intersperse the story missions with side missions to get better mechs and improve your lance. That said, it's not really what I would consider "grind" and is actually bloody enjoyable if you like turn-based tactics. I very rarely improve my own lance by buying mechs on the market for cash, for instance. It's more that you see something nasty and powerful coming at you in the field and think "right, I'm going to salvage that fucker".

All missions have skull rating (from 0-5) which indicates their rough difficulty. If you have a late-game lance and try a 1-skull mission, it's going to be a piece of piss, but you'd almost certainly never do that. 4.5-5 skull missions remain tricky even with a high-end lance.

It's true that I'm absolutely kerbstomping stuff in my latest playthrough. But this is my fourth game (I did one at launch and one for each of the DLCs) and I am now pretty damned efficient at getting a strong lance quickly, reconfiguring mechs for maximum potency and stomping my way through missions.

But even then, I hit a mission the other night that had me frantically dashing around wounded mechs so they didn't die for the last 5 turns or so.
  • Gregolution 20 Dec 2019 18:46:40 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Nice one. cheers for the description
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Dec 2019 23:10:22 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    With the new tech available in Heavy Metal, I've now got pretty much god's own mech. It's based on the "sniper crab" version of the King Crab I made previously, where you replace the AC20s with Gauss Rifles, but it uses upgraded versions of them and mixes it with an ER PPC and LRM20. Heat sinks are replaced by the double versions.

It's probably hopeless in close range combat, but nothing has got close enough to it so far to even test that. With a high level pilot in it, it's an insane headshot machine and I've just had it hold off an entire reinforcement lance of assault mechs solo without anything getting past its armour.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jan 2020 10:21:04 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The one part of Heavy Metal I've not remarked on is the Bull Shark - which I feel I ought to correct, as it's a fascinating mech.

The Bull Shark is unlocked by completing 3 out of the 4 installments of the Heavy Metal-specific Flashpoint chain (each of those installments is itself a flashpoint with multiple missions). The Heavy Metal flashpoint chain starts way down at the bottom-middle of the galaxy map and should always be present (no expiry) provided you've finished the story if you're in a campaign playthrough (it's there from the start in career). After each Flashpoint in the chain, you'll need to spend a month or two doing other missions until the next one becomes available. The first three Flashpoints aren't that hard (the third does put you up against an assault mech, though), while the fourth is a bastard. But as the first three are doable with a reasonable heavy lance, this can be a fast way to snag an assault mech in career mode.

And not just any assault mech, but a 95 ton one packed with lostech. There are two variants of the Bull Shark. The one you get during the Flashpoint storyline is the MAZ variant. This is a lostech-equipped beast. It comes with a combination of ultra AC5s, LB AC10s and ER lasers, as well as the big "thumper" mortar. Even with its double heat sinks, it runs incredibly hot. Its "standard" armament gives it a very hard punch. The mortar is very different. You only get 2 shots per deployment with the mortar, but rather than targeting a mech, you target the location you want to fire - the mortar does AoE damage to everything within a radius. It hits hard enough to outright kill light-mechs with one hit or to cripple a medium. Against heavy and assault mechs, it's less devastating, but it is still a big hit with a lot of stability damage.

The other variant is the M3. This comes without LosTech and its default armament is nothing special - four AC5s, four M Lasers and four LRM 5s. However, as you'll have spotted, this thing has a fuckload of hardpoints of every type, so it is highly customisable (probably the most customisable mech in the game). I've turned mine into a missile boat, with four LRM 20s and a couple of pulse lasers for point defense (also switching the heat sinks for the double versions - I have spares). In that configuration, the M3 is basically a super-Stalker, filling the same missile-support role, while also being better armed, better armoured and (slightly) faster.

Once you've obtained the MAZ from the flashpoint, both variants will become available in black markets. The M3 variant will also show up in the field, usually on 4.5 and 5 skull missions, so it's not too hard to get your hands on one.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Jan 2020 13:28:30 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've got myself stuck on a contract. I'm supposed to take out a scout lance, but then reinforcements arrive before I have the time to do so, so I'm outnumbered and outgunned. Trying a more mobile battle plan now.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jan 2020 14:14:25 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @TechnoHippy Enemy reinforcements can be a tough one. There are a few ways of handling them. Reading the map at the start of the mission is often key.

Sometimes, there will actually be an objective marker on the map at the start of the mission indicating where a reinforcement lance might be (this is where you already have a "defeat enemy reinforcements" type objective). If so, you can plan around that. Sometimes, it can be best to skirt around and hit the reinforcements before the main objective.

If there's no marker, you basically need to use range and terrain to your advantage. I'm guessing the reinforcements arrive once you're already in combat. Once you know the direction they're coming from, you want to be putting as much distance from them as possible. Don't, whatever you do, get bogged down in brawling range with the original target lance - if you do, you'll get creamed when reinforcements arrive.

Instead, fall back away from them and try to get to beneficial terrain (e.g. forest for cover) and/or higher ground. If possible, get terrain that's slow to traverse between you and the reinforcements. Keep up a running battle with the original targets as you fall back.

Once you've chosen the ground to make a stand on, focus on killing the original targets as fast as possible. Ideally, you want them dead, not just wounded. This is because if one enemy unit has line of sight on you, those reinforcements will be able to pelt you with LRMs or small autocannon fire from outside your own sight-range. If the enemy reinforcement lance includes a fire support mech like a Jagermech or Catapult, this will really ruin your day.

If you've fallen back far enough and use terrain right, then hopefully the enemy reinforcement lance will be strung out by the time it reaches you, with its faster mechs running ahead of the slower ones (the AI doesn't try to maintain formation). This lets you turn the latter stages of the battle into a game of whack-a-mole.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Jan 2020 14:26:40 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rogueywon Thanks - that's pretty much the general approach I've been taking. My latest effort does seem to be progressing better, although I have lost one mech. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of space to play with until I've turned the first lance on their flank - which is doing well for me at the moment, but I'm still with 3 damaged mechs taking on the reinforcements. Luckily it's all mediums and lights at the moment.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jan 2020 14:37:34 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @TechnoHippy That's good. Reinforcement lances get more dangerous when heavy mechs are involved. Jagermechs in particular are hell when they show up in a reinforcement lance. They can pelt you from outside your line of sight, taking advantage of their good range, accuracy and firepower, without letting you hit back by exploiting their paper-thin armour.

Catapults do less damage but will fuck your stability and have your mechs falling over.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Jan 2020 14:40:03 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rogueywon That's how I lost the one mech so far - it was knocked over then everyone had a go at it and took it clean out. The plus side is the other mechs had a clear turn to maneuver and get some shots in.
  • DasBooter 8 Jan 2020 22:57:19 486 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In desperate times I make more use of Called Shots to try and knock the CT out quickly, or destroy the leg of a light to hamper it's mobility and drop it's initiative.

Just started a Career mode game. Got a Centurion, Vindicator, Spider (sold it) and a Commando 1B. Since picked up a Commando 2D.

Its fun doing easy half skulls for salvage again. And I was gifted an Assassin from a Heavy Metal crate. Of course my Mechwarriors can't hit a barn door at 2 paces though..
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jan 2020 23:16:10 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Assassin is a weird one. Poor armour for its size and low mid-range firepower as well. Feels almost as bad as a Cicada at first. But if you can get it into melee range, those close quarters weapons come into their own.
  • DasBooter 9 Jan 2020 08:32:39 486 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah I dropped the LRM5 for an SRM6 and dropped a couple of jump jets for more armour. It can run in from the flanks and bully light mechs, that's the plan anyway. Its got the mod that ignores evades.

I'm assuming a career ends after 1200 days?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Jan 2020 09:16:25 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DasBooter Career tallies your score after 1200 days and stops counting beyond that point - but you can still carry on playing if you want.

Since the release of Urban Warfare, the scoring in career has been stupid - to get anywhere near any of the achievements, you need to play with all the mad-bastard hard modifiers engaged.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Jan 2020 13:53:22 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hah! Mission finally complete and the whole lance made it home :-)
  • DasBooter 9 Jan 2020 18:01:59 486 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    \o/
  • TechnoHippy 10 Jan 2020 08:55:44 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Unfortunately the only contracts left on my board are higher rated, but I do have a shiny new Panther now.
  • sunjumper 10 Jan 2020 13:10:35 3,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Unfortunately the only contracts left on my board are higher rated, but I do have a shiny new Panther now.
    Are you sure, somtimes you need to travel a bit to get some low risk missions. I rember being at the same point during the campaign were I was surrounded by death only to find out that hopping back a few star systems brought me back to much greener pastures.
  • TechnoHippy 10 Jan 2020 13:33:14 17,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @sunjumper I think I'll give that ago. Thanks.
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2020 18:30:03 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Which expansions are worth getting for this or do I not need any for the first playthrough?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jan 2020 18:43:49 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution Expansions matter less for first playthrough, as the quality of life changes were all delivered through free patches and the "flashpoint" mini-campaigns they offer can't be accessed until the main story is complete. However, you will get a couple of immediate benefits from having expansions installed, even during first-playthrough, chiefly more biomes and objective-types for side-missions and more mech variety. All three expansions are ultimately highly worth-it, but if you're interested in a breakdown.

Flashpoint - Adds the jungle biome, the "artillery spotter" mission-type and three new mechs. Of those new mechs, two, the Crab and Cyclops, can show up even before you beat the main story. The third, the Hatchetman, only unlocks after you have beaten the story and a flashpoint that unlocks it. Flashpoint also adds a proper "post-game", with a large number of new... erm... flashpoints available once the story is complete.

Urban Warfare - Adds the urban biome and two new mission types: the "three-way battle" and the "simultaneous attack-defend". Adds two new mechs, one of which, the Javelin, can show up during the story campaign. The other, the Raven, can only show up once the story and a specific flashpoint have been beaten. Adds a bunch of non-playable vehicles, broadening the range of tanks and APCs that can show up as allies or enemies. Also adds more flashpoints to the post-game.

Heavy Metal - No new biomes or mission types, but a huge number of new mechs, with eight new additions to the roster (plus two that were added to the base-game in a free patch alongside the expansion release). All bar one of the new mechs can show up during the story campaign. The final one, the Bull Shark, is only available from a flashpoint-chain in post-game. This expansion also added a whole mess of new weapons, though I can't remember whether any/all of those were also in the free patch.

Of the three expansions, Heavy Metal will have the biggest impact on a story playthrough, due to the seven new mechs you'll fight against and be able to obtain. But all three are definitely worth it if the game clicks with you.
  • Gregolution 10 Jan 2020 18:57:02 10,006 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon

cheers bruv
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Jan 2020 22:53:23 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So I'm trying a score-run in Career mode. That means turning the difficulty modifiers up to insane levels. I'm not doing Ironman, but almost everything else is maxed. So crap mission rewards, strong enemy lances, 5 salvage needed to get a mech.

And it's hell, but... Good news.

I got an assault mech. Showed up on an early mission and I pilot-killed it. Bought the 2 remaining parts from the store in that very system (RNGesus loves me). But... Bad news.

It's a Banshee. The worst of the assault mechs around. The fast, over-armoured and under-gunned turd of a mech. But... Good news.

It's the 3S variant. The variant that doesn't suck. Two PPCs, an SRM6, an AC/10 and a bunch of lasers. Runs too hot by default, but I got an L Pulse++ from a store so I've switched the M Lasers for that. And this... is actually a shockingly good mech. I'm running that, a Quickdraw, a Hunchback and a Griffin and doing ok so far.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:59:48 11-01-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2020 13:14:58 8,694 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And as I thought, Heavy Metal's Bull Shark flashpoint chain is godly in career mode. You can get through the first three flashpoints in it (nabbing the mech) early - I did it with that lance above (Banshee 3S, Quickdraw, Hunchback G and Griffin). The Hunchback was shot to shit by the end of it, but that gets bumped from the lineup by a 95 ton LosTech nightmare anyway now. :)
  • DasBooter 13 Jan 2020 00:32:23 486 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That sounds too hardcore for my liking! The game can be hard enough as it is.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.