Battletech (2018 PC game) Page 19

Next Last
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jan 2020 08:48:50 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DasBooter Yeah, it's fairly terrifying. Cash and salvage rewards are thin. You need more salvage to make a mech. Pilots gain xp incredibly slowly (though training modules aren't affected, so become much more important).

I stayed solvent early on by running a lot of the weight-limited flashpoints. Those have big pay-days still, much like story missions in campaign mode. But even so, it was incredibly tight, especially as the poor salvage means you need to be spending more. You need to be much more conscious of reputation early on, because of what it does to store prices.

Worse, racking up the career score means you need as many different non-expansion mechs as possible, all of which have to be in your mech bay or storage, so you can't sell them until you aleady have one to keep.

That early-ish Banshee 3S was an absolute godsend. It gave me just enough firepower to get through the Bull Shark missions and I've now managed to add an Awesome as well. This playthrough is certainly making me use mechs I'd never paid much attention to before, though. "Beggars can't be choosers" is its motto.

But before I stopped last night, one of my long-term plays may have paid off. I finally got a black market invite. I've been doing loads of pirate missions and getting my rep with them really high (never done that before), so black markets should now be really cheap. I didn't even have to pay a fee for access.
  • DasBooter 13 Jan 2020 12:38:33 447 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Nice. Might try the same on my new career playthrough. There's loads of weapons & tech I haven't tried yet. That Banshee was a lifesaver. Haven't had that variant yet.

They so have to make a sequel for this.
    One cool feature would be to be able to watch back your battles in some kind of cinematic real time mode.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jan 2020 12:44:03 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Large Coil Gun makes a fucking awesome addition to the basic Highlander. It does more damage the more evasion stacks you have, so you can do a jumpjet dash then fire for AC/20 levels of damage. That's another way of saying I have a Highlander now.

This desperately needs a sequel. My wishlist for one:

The Clans: The Heavy Metal flashpoint chain does some heavy foreshadowing here. The Clans are coming. We so desperately need their mechs in this. Ideally, they'd do what the old BattleTech 2 and Mechwarrior 2 Mercs did and have the Clans invade half-way through the campaign. I've been checking the stats of Clan mechs (who haven't been in a singleplayer Battletech/Mechwarrior title for many, many years) and fuck me they are insane.

Multi-lance deployments: Let's go back to the old Scout/Fire/Command lance system, letting the player have up to 12 mechs in the field. To keep micromanagement down, you could let secondary lances only be subject to indirect orders (e.g. "focus this target", "follow me", "fall back") rather than being directly controlled. Not every mission would need a full 3-lance deployment and it could also bring in weight limits (160 for Scout, 280 for Fire, 400 for Command).

Better AI: The AI remains a weak point in this. In particular, enemy mechs show no sense of self-preservation. Even when on the edge of being wiped out, they'll focus on destroying a wounded mech that you're already retreating, rather than trying to prioritise the biggest threats. The AI needs improvement for a sequel.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Jan 2020 13:56:31 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A couple of basic tips for new players:

1) If you're restarting a mission (non story) be aware that the enemy composition is sometime randomised, so starting again doesn't always mean you're facing the same forces.

2) As other have said - heat is deadly and can bring down a mech quickly if not dealt with.

3) Be wary of splitting a lance too much to try flanking static targets if there's any chance of reinforcements as you can find some of your forces out of position to respond to the new threat quickly enough.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jan 2020 13:57:59 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So my long-play on black markets paid off big-time. Now fielding a lance of Altas II, Bull Shark MAZ, King Crab (dual-gauss version), Annihilator.

That'll do, pig. That'll do.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Jan 2020 00:38:41 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Soooo... I've got around 500 days left and I've absolutely hammered it on the high-end mechs. I've got each of the required assault mechs now (that's all of them bar those added in expansions - so the Cyclops, Bull Shark and Annihilator). Lucked out and got the Highlander 732B as a Flashpoint reward.

Filling out the light mechs isn't too hard - just need a few more Commando 1B and Spikder 5K parts. Can farm low-skull missions for that no problem.

In the mediums, need a good few. I got the LosTech Griffin easy enough from Black Markets, but I still need some models of Cicada, Blackjack, Centurion and Shadow Hawk.

In the heavies, I need the Quickdraw 5A, the Jagermech A, the Grasshopper and the Orion K. But worst of all, I need the Black Knight 6B. I can tell I'm going to be save-scumming flashpoint rewards for that (got 1 part already, but still need 4).

In most other respects, the score attack is going fine. Can probably nab Legendary, though Kerensky looks basically impossible. Think I've got a plan for faction rep.

My main uncapped lance is King Crab (dual-gauss variant), Atlas 2, Bull Shark MAZ and Annihilator. Considering dropping the Annihilator for a second King Crab - probably another dual-gauss one as those are fucking awesome. Bull Shark MAZ is an absolute beast - nasty on heat but fucking hell it hits hard. Having pilots with 9 tactics skill is making salvage so much easier.
  • DasBooter 14 Jan 2020 08:06:51 447 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds like you need a fourth mech bay!
  • TechnoHippy 14 Jan 2020 08:34:37 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd love bigger bays and to be able to deploy multiple lances.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Jan 2020 08:54:50 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm ok with three mech bays, I think. Most of what I get is going straight to storage (it counts towards score progress in storage). In my bays, I've got 7 assault mechs, then a range of smaller mechs for the medium and light capped weight flashpoints. You don't just need 4 mechs for each of those, but also a spare or two in case one of your mechs gets shot up on an early mission. Fortunately, I use the Raven to fill a slot in both weight categories and it is purely there for ECM support, so if it gets damaged, something has gone badly wrong. Once I've done all the capped flashpoints, I'll just flesh out the remaining bays with extra assaults for the longer uncapped flashpoints and general spares.

Multiple lance deployments would be lovely, though.
  • TechnoHippy 14 Jan 2020 08:57:44 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I haven't unlocked the extra bays yet :-(
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Jan 2020 23:20:12 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    HA!

There I was, slowly building up my LosTech Black Knight 6B parts... and a Flashpoint goes and drops a whole fucking mech on me. 100% non-expansion mech completion now very much on the cards. 425 days to go. Need to knuckle down and grind now.

Edit: Mechs still needed for 100% are:

COM-1B
    CDA-2A
    CN9-AL
    SHD-2D
    QKD-5A
    JM6-A

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:22:03 14-01-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 Jan 2020 13:54:47 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hum... I think I've made a heavy mech that earns its place in an end-game assault mech lance. A Black Knight 6B with a pair of arm mods, boosted armour, maxed out S-Lasers and a few M-Pulses.

It's shite at range but it is basically the ultimate melee firepower (with decent speed).
  • DasBooter 18 Jan 2020 10:40:11 447 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've only ever had the bog standard Black Knight with Large lasers which always seemed a bit undergunned for it's weight.

I finally did that thing last night where you accidentally leave your mech parked underneath where the Leopard is about to land... bye bye 1 Firestarter. Luckily it was my player character piloting it, so she's only injured for 94 days rather than dead.

Sumeyer finally gets a kill..
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Jan 2020 10:43:15 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DasBooter The 6B is interesting in that it can't actually be recreated from parts even if you have lots of snazzy lostech in inventory. It has more dual heat sinks in its legs than the chassis should strictly allow for.

The additional heat sinking capacity means that you can load the thing up a lot more heavily than the standard Black Knight. So you can run with pulse lasers rather than standard lasers with pretty much the same heat profile, for instance. It's still an energy-heavy mech, which hurts its versatility, but the version I've made with that Arm Mod+++ is lethal.
  • TechnoHippy 18 Jan 2020 17:32:16 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    I haven't unlocked the extra bays yet :-(
    I am a special type of simpleton - I went into engineering and there are ship upgrades! How dis I miss this ?!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Jan 2020 23:28:02 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fucking hell, the Davion Alliance flashpoint doesn't muck around, does it? Not done one of the alliance flashpoints before. This is pretty hellish. I'm fielding a 95-100 ton lance with pretty much full LosTech on everything and this is still extremely difficult.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jan 2020 09:49:09 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Heh - I'm still struggling with 2 skull rated contracts :-)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jan 2020 10:09:28 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @TechnoHippy What's your regular lance? 2 skull contracts should be mostly putting you up against medium mechs, with maybe the odd heavy thrown in. Nabbing one or two of those heavies via salvage will make life much nicer.
  • GloatingSwine 19 Jan 2020 11:04:47 3,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I find most 2 skull missions are a mix of lights and mediums, hell I've had them be just swarms of lights and vehicles. Even 2.5 skull tends to be just stacks of mediums.

I do find there's a bit of a hump to get over getting your lance out of mediums, because most of the missions just give you more mediums and with there being more different types now you're going to have partials of several heavies for longer.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jan 2020 11:58:41 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rogueywon Three mediums (Trebuchet, Shadowhawk and Blackjack) and one light (Pa\nther). Not got a heavy yet.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jan 2020 11:59:20 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @GloatingSwine That's pretty much my experience at the moment.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jan 2020 12:01:43 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    @Rogueywon Three mediums (Trebuchet, Shadowhawk and Blackjack) and one light (Pa\nther). Not got a heavy yet.
    If you're only seeing mediums and lights at the moment, you can still improve that lance a bit. The Trebuchet is a good fire-support mech and the Shadow Hawk is a decent all-rounder, but the Blackjack is only "ok" and the Panther is pretty poor. In the light category, you'll probably get better mileage from a Jenner than a Panther. As far as mediums go, the Wolverine and Kintaro would be good replacements for the Blackjack. They'd give you some close-in firepower than you're a little light on at the moment.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jan 2020 13:21:56 7,407 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finally got the Davion Alliance flashpoint done. That was hellish. Serious damage to most of my assault mechs and a lost Gauss Rifle (fortunately easy to replace these days). Reward was good, though - a complete Atlas II, plus a bunch of pulse lasers and double heatsinks.
  • ChiefGB 19 Jan 2020 13:36:06 11,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Need to put this on again, at some point.

Edited by ChiefGB at 13:36:17 19-01-2020
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jan 2020 15:45:02 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    If you're only seeing mediums and lights at the moment, you can still improve that lance a bit. The Trebuchet is a good fire-support mech and the Shadow Hawk is a decent all-rounder, but the Blackjack is only "ok" and the Panther is pretty poor. In the light category, you'll probably get better mileage from a Jenner than a Panther. As far as mediums go, the Wolverine and Kintaro would be good replacements for the Blackjack. They'd give you some close-in firepower than you're a little light on at the moment.
    I'll keep an eye out for them in salvage - thanks.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.