Battletech (2018 PC game) Page 20

• TechnoHippy 30 Jan 2020 10:29:18 16,943 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think if you don't fire on the third team, they'll also ignore you until the original targets are down.
  • DasBooter 30 Jan 2020 18:17:29 477 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

Sadly not
  • DasBooter 30 Jan 2020 18:18:33 477 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon

You got a score yet for your hardcore run?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Jan 2020 19:40:37 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DasBooter Still not finished it - got distracted by a replay of MechWarrior 5 now it's patched. Basically at the point where I just need to go around visiting star systems and grinding contracts. Elite (720k) is looking like a very tough stretch, though.
  • docrob 30 Jan 2020 23:22:12 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Gregolution It's not particularly grindy. Figure 30-40 hours for your first story playthrough.

Campaign mode (story) has a mix of pre-defined story missions and procedurally-generated side missions. You will need to intersperse the story missions with side missions to get better mechs and improve your lance. That said, it's not really what I would consider "grind" and is actually bloody enjoyable if you like turn-based tactics. I very rarely improve my own lance by buying mechs on the market for cash, for instance. It's more that you see something nasty and powerful coming at you in the field and think "right, I'm going to salvage that fucker".

All missions have skull rating (from 0-5) which indicates their rough difficulty. If you have a late-game lance and try a 1-skull mission, it's going to be a piece of piss, but you'd almost certainly never do that. 4.5-5 skull missions remain tricky even with a high-end lance.

It's true that I'm absolutely kerbstomping stuff in my latest playthrough. But this is my fourth game (I did one at launch and one for each of the DLCs) and I am now pretty damned efficient at getting a strong lance quickly, reconfiguring mechs for maximum potency and stomping my way through missions.

But even then, I hit a mission the other night that had me frantically dashing around wounded mechs so they didn't die for the last 5 turns or so.
    Wondering how on earth anyone can do a first playthrough in 40 hours. I have over twice that many hours lodged, and I donít even have any assault mechs yet. Willing to accept I am just shite, but even so.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 01:48:55 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just got my first Assault today (the free Highlander).

My attempts to salvage mechs are embarrassingly poor. I have 1 part of about 6 good ones. I've read all the guides, I just can't seem to make it work.

Current lance going forward: Highlander, Catapult, Dragon, Quickdraw (Orion in reserve)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Feb 2020 08:44:07 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob One thing I missed in some of the previous posts is that the easiest way to get 3 salvage from a mech is to raise a pilot's tactics skill to 9 for Called Shot Mastery, then just go for headshots. At that point, your base headshot chance with each weapon will be 18%, so you can drop enemy mechs like flies for 3 salvage. This is also the best way to get through 5-skull missions.

Be careful with that new Highlander. It's a Star League era SLDF model with equipment that can be tricky to replace. The Gauss Rifle, its ammo and those double heat sinks are all rare (though not as rare as they used to be until the patch that came out alingside Heavy Metal).

As for your lance, that's decent for the point in the game you're at, but not sure why you'd field a Dragon while benching the Orion. The Orion is better in pretty much every respect.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 11:28:43 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @docrob One thing I missed in some of the previous posts is that the easiest way to get 3 salvage from a mech is to raise a pilot's tactics skill to 9 for Called Shot Mastery, then just go for headshots. At that point, your base headshot chance with each weapon will be 18%, so you can drop enemy mechs like flies for 3 salvage. This is also the best way to get through 5-skull missions.

Be careful with that new Highlander. It's a Star League era SLDF model with equipment that can be tricky to replace. The Gauss Rifle, its ammo and those double heat sinks are all rare (though not as rare as they used to be until the patch that came out alingside Heavy Metal).

As for your lance, that's decent for the point in the game you're at, but not sure why you'd field a Dragon while benching the Orion. The Orion is better in pretty much every respect.
    Thanks for that, Roguey. I actually got one guy up to 9 Tactics last night, so thatís an option now.

Literally just got the Orion last night by buying a 3rd piece from a shop. Hadnít had the chance to look it over yet. I think it may be the Ďless armourí variant.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 11:28:44 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:

Thanks for that, Roguey. I actually got one guy up to 9 Tactics last night, so thatís an option now.

Literally just got the Orion last night by buying a 3rd piece from a shop. Hadnít had the chance to look it over yet. I think it may be the Ďless armourí variant.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Feb 2020 11:47:59 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob Both variants of the Orion are decent. The Orion's a true heavy mech - a slow but powerful brawler with a versatile armament. The ON1-K is a very well armoured mech (competitive with some assault mechs on durability) with a respectable punch. The ON1-V drops a bit of armour (though still slightly more durable than the 15-ton-lighter Dragon) but steps its firepower up so it's competitive with some assault mechs.

The Dragon, by contrast, is basically a tank (in the RPG sense of the word, rather than the vehicle-with-treads-and-a-turret sense). It is fast for a heavy mech and packs decent armour, so it can get up close with the enemy and draw their attention. The cost of that is that its armament is weak for a 60 tonner - plenty of medium mechs hit harder. One option for the Dragon is to cut its armament even further but give it an arm-mod to enhance its melee. But with a choice between an Orion and a Dragon, I'd always take the Orion.

As for your other mechs, I'm sure you've worked out the Catapult is fire support (unless you have the rarer 2K variant with twin PPCs). The Catapult's probably the best of the heavy fire support mechs (though there are better options in the assault class). Its highly mobile letting it reposition at will and stay out of trouble. It also has an ok close-up punch and surprisingly heavy armour for a fire support mech. Compared to the other 65 ton LRM mech - the Jagermech JM6-A, the Catapult (in either C1 or C4 variants) is far better. If you have the Heavy Metal DLC, the 70 Archer is competitive with the Catapult. Slightly slower, slightly more durable, but horrible heat management without modifications.

And the Quickdraw is a fast, well-armed 60 tonner whose main problem is relatively light armour. It's a good way of getting a hard-hitting heavy into the fight quickly, but you need to keep its speed up and ideally end its turns in cover, because its armour is only really on a par with the average medium mech.

Edit: Oh, and as for that Highlander 732B - don't go charging it into the middle of battle. Even 90 ton assault mechs can be worn down by sustained fire and too many of its parts are hard to replace. Besides, it's a sniper by default. Let the Orion front up for you in battle while the Highlander hangs back using its Gauss Rifle and LRMs to do damage from a distance. Ideally, give it a pilot with 9-10 tactics skill and go for headshots with the Gauss Rifle.

Edited by Rogueywon at 11:53:40 01-02-2020
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 12:14:52 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My Catapult actually is the twin PPC version. Does that change things?

Have been wondering whether to remove the Gauss Rifle due to concerns about ammo supply. I donít have access to any black markets.

Am I the only one to find it odd that ĎCalled Shot Masteryí is a Tactics rather than a Gunnery skill?
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 12:14:53 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Have been wondering whether to remove the Gauss Rifle due to concerns about ammo supply. I donít have access to any black markets.

Am I the only one to find it odd that ĎCalled Shot Masteryí is a Tactics rather than a Gunnery skill?
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 12:18:08 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And no, I donít have any DLC yet. The season pass is available for about £10 on CDkeys, but I promised myself I would finish one playthrough before deciding whether to commit more to the game.

I am a big fan of turn-based tactics games, and I do enjoy this one. I think my major issue is that it is a massive timesink.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 12:18:09 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And no, I donít have any DLC yet. The season pass is available for about £10 on CDkeys, but I promised myself I would finish one playthrough before deciding whether to commit more to the game.

I am a big fan of turn-based tactics games, and I do enjoy this one. I think my major issue is that it is a massive timesink.
  • GloatingSwine 1 Feb 2020 12:53:32 3,869 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    It ends up being for a different purpose.

The standard version is a lurmboat, which you can hide behind a rock and drop huge quantities of missiles on things to take away all their armour and stability (and tend to be quite heat efficient).

The dual PPC version is more of a finisher, where you want your target to have already lost a hearty amount of armour and evasion so that you can deal structure damage.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 13:31:10 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And thatís my first headshot kill, and a brand new Thunderbolt! Had a brief panic because I only had two guaranteed bits of salvage, but it turned out I already had 2/3 for that mech. So now I have a spare QuickDraw too.

I wish I had read up on Mechwarrior skills right back at the beginning. Iíd have built them up quite differently. Itís also frustrating that you canít see what abilities a certain level of skill will get you until you are able to purchase it. I thought headshots were basically impossible until yesterday.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Feb 2020 13:37:05 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm not a fan of the Catapult K2 (the dual-PPC version). Runs too hot and doesn't have the armour for the brawling role its weapons would suggest. A Warhammer or Awesome is far better in the PPC-boat niche.

And yeah, Tactics 9 makes life a lot easier. Try to push all of your pilots to it fairly quickly. You can chew through enemy assault lances quite quickly via headshots.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 14:34:27 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I... got... an...Atlas!!!

Thank you, called shot mastery and RNGesus. It turned up randomly in a contract mission where you have to help out another lance. Boom, headshot! Fortunately I had picked 3 pieces of salvage.

I feel a LOT less undergunned now.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Feb 2020 14:54:39 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ah the Atlas... king of the battlefield. The ultimate general-purpose brawler. Nice balanced weapons payload, amazing durability, decent heat management. Also nicely customisable.

The Atlas sits at the centre of your lance. It's not fast, but keep your other mechs deployed around and just behind it as it charges in. It can tank most incoming fire and give as good as it gets in return, especially with that big AC/20. Have it supported by that Highlander 732B as a sniper, then a decent fire support mech and maybe another brawler and you are set.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 15:26:40 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fab. I wish I had the other version of the Catapult, but there you go. Would you recommend Orion over Thunderbolt for the second brawler?
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 15:26:41 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fab. I wish I had the other version of the Catapult, but there you go. Would you recommend Orion over Thunderbolt for the second brawler?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Feb 2020 15:48:24 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob The Orion and the Thunderbolt are both good mechs, but on balance, I'd probably take the Orion. The Thunderbolt is well armed and quite well armoured, but its heat management isn't great.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 17:16:02 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And theyíre coming thick and fast now. My latest new toy is a Marauder. Is this a better fire support mech than the Catapult K2? Both have dual PPCs. Heat management might be an issue, but I have an Exchanger+ on the Catapult I could move over. The Marauder also comes with a Lance Support Mod installed.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 18:15:00 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ooh, this is so much fun now! Every battle a new mech!

Did I complain I didnít have a fire support Catapult? Well, I do now - the C4 version with the two LRM 20s.

Trying to figure out my strongest lance now:

Atlas (tank and general awesomeness)
    Highlander (sniper)
    Catapult C4 (fire support)
    Orion V (general brawler)

The other option might be to replace the Orion with my new Marauder - same tonnage, plus the command mod. Currently it has 2 PPCs, 2 Medium Lasers and an AC/5. Going through possible setups right now - could remove the PPCs and have 4 Medium Lasers and two AC/5++, plus a few tons remaining for extra armour. Or, alternatively, two AC/5s, one Medium Laser and one PPC (Iíd need to lose a bit of armour or one heat sink though).

Thoughts?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Feb 2020 19:58:14 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob That's a good lance. Obviously, you'll be wanting to go full assault mechs eventually, but for now that's excellent. Of the three Catapult variants (C1, C4, K2), the C4 is my favorite, as it's the purest version of the missile-boat role.

The Marauder is decent - much better than the K2 as it is far better armoured and has an autocannon to mix things up. However, it also runs very hot, so it's quite biome-specific. Don't use it in biomes with a cooling penalty. I'd keep it with its PPCs for now. On missions with a tighter heat restriction, use the Orion.

Your next obvious upgrade would be a Stalker. If you get one of those, strip off all the weapons and give it as many LRMs as you can (you can get up to 4 LRM20s on it). Maybe an M Laser or two for defense. That gives you a top-tier missile-boat (only the Bull Shark M3 in the Heavy Metal DLC can be made better).

After that... another Atlas or a King Crab would round things off. You will get another very, very good mech once you finish the story.
  • docrob 1 Feb 2020 20:43:51 1,524 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks! I left this game alone for a long, long time because I was really struggling to get past some fairly mundane missions. Since I got the Highlander and a mechwarrior with called shot mastery, though, itís almost become a different game. I am owning anything up to 3-3.5 skulls now, with barely any mech damage.

If I do another playthrough, my PC will focus on Tactics and Iíll be looking to get his skill up as fast as possible.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Feb 2020 23:15:24 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hit 600k score now in my score-attack game. Still got around 280 days left. I've got 2 mechs still to find (COM-1B and CN9-AL - one piece of each needed) and a shitload of star systems still to explore. The reputation ones I can sort, but this is clearly going to come down to a race to balance contract completion with star system exploration.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Feb 2020 11:32:20 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So having tallied where I'm up to... I think it's going to be plausible for me to hit Legendary (640k), but Kerensky (760k) looks well out of reach. There's actually a lot of outdated info in circulation on whether or not certain ranks are even possible and how you can get there. To cut a long story short, in the current version, Kerensky is possible (it wasn't for a while after Urban Warfare hit), but incredibly difficult. Legendary is pretty fucking hard, but nevertheless just about within reach of mere mortals. Elite (480k) seems to be where most people come out on their first score-attack run. If you're interested in doing a score-attack, here are the basics:

Get a 1.0 difficulty multiplier: This means setting most of the options to the hardest settings. You don't have to max all of them, however. I've kept Ironman mode off, because the margin for error in a score-attack run is tiny as it is and the odd bit of judicious save-scumming for salvage is vital.

Visit every star system: But note that just passing through the jump-point is enough - you don't have to actually visit the planet. So you need to do lots of long multi-system jumps. This is obviously expensive, as the clock is ticking away, so when you do get to the end of a jump, it helps to land on a planet where you can then do a lot of contracts.

Have one of every launch-mech: You need to obtain almost every mech that was in the game at launch. Note that simply getting one and selling it doesn't count - you need to have them either in a bay or in storage. So early in the game, you can forget big payouts from salvage, as the first of each mech you get becomes your "keepsies" one. As of the latest patch, the four LosTech launch mechs (Griffin 2B, Black Knight 6B, Highlander 732B, Atlas 2) are not required (they were in earlier patches). Nor, obviously, are DLC/FreeLC mechs (so no Marauder or Warhammer needed). You do, however, need every other variant of every launch-mech.

Do shitloads of contracts: You need to have completed 700 skulls-worth of contracts. That's a lot. If every contract you did was 5 skull, you'd need 140 contracts. You won't be doing only 5 skull contracts.

Fully upgrade the Argo: Easy enough.

Get shitloads of Mechwarrior experience: This does NOT include your player character. But the amount of experience needed is equivalent to having 24 pilots on your roster and all of them with maxed out stats, plus a spare buffer of 24,000 xp each. Fortunately, this does count unused overkill xp on characters, so you don't actually have to level up 24 different characters. You do, however, want a full roster and the top-tier training module.

Max morale: Easy.

Max MRB reputation: You'll get this by default with all those contracts.

Max positive reputation with 4 factions and max negative reputation with 4: This does not include the Arano Restoration. Basically, you need to be very careful in which contracts you pick. I've gone for positive with Davion, Steiner, Canopus and Pirates, negative with Liao, Kurita, Taurians and Marik. You need to avoid formal alliances. Local Government have the benefit of being a faction you can piss off with no consequences.
  • DasBooter 3 Feb 2020 13:00:47 477 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jesus I think I'm gonna rock up at the arse end of the scale..

Nice going on your playthrough. Can't believe you haven't got a COM1B yet? They were all I faced for the first few missions.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Feb 2020 13:05:46 8,355 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DasBooter I've got all of the mechs now. Had to waste some time doing low-skull contracts, but nabbed a COM-1B from a 1-skull and a CN9-AL from a 2-skull. It was maxing mech-collection score that pushed me over the 600K mark.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.