Battletech (2018 PC game) Page 21

• TechnoHippy 4 Feb 2020 14:13:26 16,943 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I finally got my first heavy - a Quickfire. It runs a bit hot, but happily kicks smaller mechs to death :-)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Feb 2020 14:22:46 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @TechnoHippy Quickdraw's good, but as you say, it runs hot. It also has paper-thin armour by 60 ton standards, so the AI will try to victimise it for a quick kill.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Feb 2020 15:40:27 16,943 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Will keep my eye on it.
  • docrob 4 Feb 2020 18:54:13 1,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I did the Smithon defence mission last night and came out with a new Battlemaster. Despite picking completely the wrong lance and mech warriors and losing a dropship. Thought I was going to have to re-do it as I thought one of my best mechwarriors had died, but it turned out she was lucky and is Ďonlyí sidelined for 82 days.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Feb 2020 20:16:11 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob Battlemaster's a good, solid assault mech. Runs a bit hot, but pleasingly well armoured, fast for its weight and having a lot of spare tonnage for weapons.

The default weapons loadout is a bit too energy-heavy, but it has enough hardpoints to vary that significantly. Consider modifying it to replace some of those lasers with autocannons or missiles (SRMs in particular go well with the Battlemaster's brawler role).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Feb 2020 23:14:01 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

I'm well up into Legendary rank. Kerensky looks... fuck... almost doable. But this is going to require so much save-scumming.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Feb 2020 23:53:31 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Think I'm going to land Kerensky. 3-4 more missions would do it, but I basically need to make it through those with no mechs seriously damaged. I'm up against it here and if I have to lose any time to repairs, I'm fucked. So just need to do a handful of 4.5 and 5 skull missions without getting beat up at all.

That's not as bad as it sounds. My mechs are terrifying by this point. Only just realised that the sniper variant of the King Crab I've settled on is, almost down to the last detail, a canonical variant built to fight the Clans about 25 years after the setting for this game (the KGC-001). Other mechs are equally terrifying (including the Black Knight B2 which is a consistent part of my lineup). I'll post some screenshots of the builds when/if I get this over the line.

Edited by Rogueywon at 00:01:23 09-02-2020
  • docrob 9 Feb 2020 08:38:24 1,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds very impressive Roguey!

Iíve picked up a Black Knight. Havenít used it yet though. Primary Lance is now Atlas, Lostech Highlander, Battlemaster and LRM Catapult. Good enough to completely wreck a lot of 3.5-4 skull missions yesterday. Did get a bit stuck on the Defend Panzyr mission last night though - not a great deal of mobility in the Lance, and the Catapult was vulnerable to the SRM carriers. Wondering whether I might do better with the Orion for this mission,
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2020 08:53:54 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob The problem with the Panzyr mission is that enemies comes at you from every direction. So not only do you need to cover multiple angles, but it's also tricky to find somewhere safe for a fire support mech. That said, if you stick the Catapult right inside the area you're defending, it'll probably take less fire. Switching to the Orion is obviously also an option, as that's more of a brawler. If you're struggling, ignore the optional objective - it basically takes one of your mechs out of the fight.

SRM carries have insane damage output and should always be priority targets. Only takes a couple of hits to pop them, but they can wreck the shit of pretty much any mech. I always pop them first, with LRM carriers taking second priority.

The standard Black Knight (guessing it's just the BL-6-KNT, rather than the LosTech BL-6B-KNT) is a decent enough mech, but not spectacular. Like the Grasshopper, it's an energy-weapons only mech. It has decent cooling, but still runs fairly hot. Armour is decent, so it can get stuck-in during battle. The LosTech variant is basically "the same but better" with double heatsinks and pulse lasers.

As far as your lance goes, if you can switch the Catapult for a decent assault class mech (basically, anything but the Banshee 3E/3M and the Victor), you should be good to go right through to the end of the campaign. You've still got a few missions left, but the difficulty doesn't ratchet much harder now.
  • Gregolution 9 Feb 2020 09:32:22 9,974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anyone tried playing with the mod that enables alot more of the tabletop features?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2020 09:46:08 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution No, I've been keeping mods off for a while as I go through the score-attack run. May dabble with some once that's done.
  • docrob 9 Feb 2020 10:12:47 1,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @docrob The problem with the Panzyr mission is that enemies comes at you from every direction. So not only do you need to cover multiple angles, but it's also tricky to find somewhere safe for a fire support mech. That said, if you stick the Catapult right inside the area you're defending, it'll probably take less fire. Switching to the Orion is obviously also an option, as that's more of a brawler. If you're struggling, ignore the optional objective - it basically takes one of your mechs out of the fight.

SRM carries have insane damage output and should always be priority targets. Only takes a couple of hits to pop them, but they can wreck the shit of pretty much any mech. I always pop them first, with LRM carriers taking second priority.

The standard Black Knight (guessing it's just the BL-6-KNT, rather than the LosTech BL-6B-KNT) is a decent enough mech, but not spectacular. Like the Grasshopper, it's an energy-weapons only mech. It has decent cooling, but still runs fairly hot. Armour is decent, so it can get stuck-in during battle. The LosTech variant is basically "the same but better" with double heatsinks and pulse lasers.

As far as your lance goes, if you can switch the Catapult for a decent assault class mech (basically, anything but the Banshee 3E/3M and the Victor), you should be good to go right through to the end of the campaign. You've still got a few missions left, but the difficulty doesn't ratchet much harder now.
    I have 2 parts of an Awesome and 2 of a Zeus. Annoyingly, the last shop I was in had a complete Awesome for sale but not a part.

I read a couple of things about the mission and they suggested the optional objective is all but impossible unless you have a Jenner or a Grasshopper handy. Which I donít, even if I were inclined to lose a mech from the main battle.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2020 10:35:25 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob Of those two, the Awesome's probably the better mech, in either of its configurations. The 8Q is the iconic "PPC boat" build, which makes a good sniper or second-line brawler (its armour is excellent). The 8T is more missile-configured. If you drop a Large Laser from it, you can upgrade the LRMs to 20s, giving you a well-armoured fire support mech.

The Zeus is fast for an assault mech, with moderate armour, but its weapons are really configured for longer-range stuff. If you use that one, be sure to give it a pilot with the initiative bonus (the rank 8 tactics perk), as that's important for mechs that prefer to keep their distance.

Ideally, though, you'd nab either a Stalker (can be reconfigured as the ultimate missile boat) or a King Crab (for sheer firepower).

Edit: Also, while the 3E is awful and the 3M is poor, the 3S version of the Banshee is a very decent assault mech, provided you strip some of its lasers for less heat-intensive weapons.

Edited by Rogueywon at 10:37:49 09-02-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2020 13:28:04 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And... KERENSKY! By around 10 points. Phew.

The final couple of hundred days got incredibly grindy. Once you've been around the galaxy, done your faction rep and got all of the mechs, you basically just need to grind missions. That means sitting in a system with high-skull contracts for/against the right factions and just hammering them. When you've sucked a system dry of contracts, you move onto the next, trying to keep your jumps as short as possible to minimise time. This means you need to do lots of 4-5 skull contracts very quickly, with no repair time between them. Which means you need amazing mechs. I kept a few options on mechs, which let me flex them depending on the mission type and biome. The general theme, though, was overwhelming firepower to get quick kills. Screenshots of my end-game builds below. The first four were my "regular" final lance, with the others switched in as needed.

Atlas II - Deployed this pretty much every mission. Link. Pretty close to the base config, but uses a few bits of extra tonnage freed up by upgraded weapons to increase heat sink capacity.

King Crab - Another one I deployed pretty much constantly. Link. Basically a highly durable sniper. Uses the tonnage freed up by using Gauss Rifles with ++ versions to increase the ammo payload and switch the large laser to a large pulse laser. Fantastic cockpit-popper.

Bull Shark M3 (autocannon) - Only got this up to spec very, very late in the game. Link. Basically the King Crab but more so. Lighter armour than the King Crab, but it complements the dual Gauss Rifles with an Ultra A/C20 for close-in mauling, plus an ER Large Laser for sniping and a Snub PPC for close-in. Heat management looks awful, but you never fire all of its guns at the same time. By far my biggest-hitter.

Annihilator - Keeps the concept of the stock model, but hugely improves it. Link. Replaces most of the heat sinks with double variants. Switches the two torso A/C10s for Ultra versions and uses the ++ weight reduction to increase ammo and switch some of the M lasers for pulse versions. Fragile and absolutely burns through ammo, but fantastic damage output.

Bull Shark MAZ - Basically a tuned-up version of the stock MAZ. Link. Uses the weight freed up by moving to the ++ versions of the UAC5s to increase ammo payload. Used primarily for convoy attack missions, as the thumper cannon absolutely shreds tight-packed vehicles.

Atlas - Keeps the concept of the basic AS7D, but adds LosTech. Link. Switches the AC20 for an Ultra version to increase damage output (at the expense of heat and ammo consumption). Brings the energy weapons up to LosTech standard. Replaces most of the heat sinks with double versions. Used as a backup when one of my main lance mechs needs repairs.

Bull Shark M3 (missile) - Used this less than others, as missle-boats struggle in ultra-end-game scenarios. Link. Very similar to a pimped-out Stalker, but better armoured and with a slightly better close-in armament. Didn't bother replacing the heatsinks with double versions as it doesn't run that hot.

Highlander 732B - Pretty close to the stock model. Link. Switches the Gauss Rifle for a ++ model and uses the weight freed up to switch the lasers to LosTech variants, with an ER L Laser++ for sniping support alongside the Gauss and LRMs. Used mostly as a backup.

Black Knight 6B - Note that the stock 6B comes with an "impossible" heat-sink combo on the legs that can't be replicated (or replaced if destroyed. Link. Combines good medium-to-long range firepower with incredible melee damage thanks to the arm mods. Used this more than I'd expected, basically in a role where it charged in fast using its lasers as it went, then switched to melee at point-blank range.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Feb 2020 15:14:16 16,943 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well done! I don't think I'll manage to reach such heights :-)
  • Gregolution 9 Feb 2020 15:32:33 9,974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    And... KERENSKY! By around 10 points. Phew.

The final couple of hundred days got incredibly grindy. Once you've been around the galaxy, done your faction rep and got all of the mechs, you basically just need to grind missions. That means sitting in a system with high-skull contracts for/against the right factions and just hammering them.
    My worst nightmare. Is this some specific mode?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2020 15:41:21 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution Career mode, score-attack. 1,200 days to rack up as many points as you can, scored against various criteria. I've done a few posts on it over the last few pages. Getting to the top rank (Kerensky) is insanely hard, not least because you have to turn up enough of the difficulty options to get the 1.0x multiplier that the game becomes much, much harder than it is by default.
  • docrob 9 Feb 2020 17:39:12 1,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím suitably impressed. As much by your encyclopaedic knowledge of this game as by the Kerensky achievement!

I am hugely grateful for your advice, by the way. I had abandoned the game as I really wasnít enjoying it any more. Now Iím much happier, and only a few missions from the end. Havenít decided what to do afterwards. Tempted to get the DLC and carry on, but I find the game an even bigger timesink than XCOM, and I think Iíll take some time to play other things first. I want to finish at least 15 games in 2020, and it took me a month to get one! (It was RDR2, in my defence)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2020 19:34:44 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Way, way too many hours logged on this game now. It got its hooks under my skin in a way very few games manage. I really should move onto something else from my backlog, but here I am thinking that one of the things I've still not done is an Ironman playthrough.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2020 20:41:37 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And... 4 missions into an Ironman career mode. Set most of the difficulty stuff as low as it would go this time, with the exception of Ironman itself and the enemy strength option. That one can actually make the game easier, as it gives you a higher chance of encountering big mechs on low-skull contracts (but makes no difference at the top end).

Starting mechs were pretty junk - Vindicator, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther. However, after 4 missions I've managed to nab and Orion and a Trebuchet, as well as getting a Vulcan as my Heavy Metal starter-bonus. Feels so easy now I'm back to getting mechs from 3 salvage. But that greyed-out save icon makes me nervous...
  • docrob 10 Feb 2020 11:46:20 1,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just beat the Extraction story mission. Had some trouble with it last night, not because of mechs, but because of a PITA LRM carrier which spawns well out of range and was wrecking my lance without my even being able to see it. Was especially bad because I had to use the Lostech Highlander to occupy the objective (it being my only mech with jump jets) and it was getting bits blown off and losing equipment I couldnít replace.

Todayís tactic was to take two mechs and sprint towards where the LRM carrier spawns. It still managed to get two salvos off, but fortunately one was split between three mechs and nobody got crippled. Then I managed to get a shot off and blew it up. After that it was plain sailing. The Highlander lost one double heat sink, but I can live with that. Is it ever possible to replace them?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2020 12:00:06 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob Double heat sinks will show up (rarely) in stores and black markets. You have a higher chance of finding them on worlds with tags like "former star league presence" and "industrial". It's worth snapping them up when you can get them, as they are useful. The loss of one double sink won't cripple your Highlander, though, as it's a mech that runs fairly cold anyway. In addition, if you have the DLCs, some flashpoints will award LosTech (which can include double heat sinks).

You only have a small number of missions still to go now. Be warned that the last two missions occur as a consecutive deployment (it does warn you about this), which means you can't repair mechs between them. So you probably want more than 4 decent mechs available. The first of those two missions doesn't really need a full assault-level lance.
  • docrob 10 Feb 2020 12:09:21 1,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cool. I currently have 4 assaults (I found a third Awesome piece in a shop). 3 will be needed on the final mission, so I guess Iíll need do a few mech farming missions. I have a few good heavies as a second line.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2020 12:12:02 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob I think on my first playthrough, I got through the first mission in the two-parter with a pair of assaults, an Orion and a Jagermech. The second part really does want a full assault lance (and Atlas, Highlander 732B, Battlemaster, Awesome is just fine).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2020 22:49:48 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ironman mode is going great so far. Picked up a Zeus - never used that much before and it's one of the weaker assault mechs, but I'm doing ok with it as my "main" mech so far. Helps that I bought some pulse lasers and double heatsinks early, so I've losteched it up a bit.

My current lance is Zeus, Orion, Rifleman, Trebuchet. Just done the first of the Heavy Metal flashpoints.
  • docrob 13 Feb 2020 13:37:54 1,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And Iím done. Credits rolling as I type.

Penultimate mission was a bit harder than I expected - my Atlas got pretty badly damaged (fortunately I had a spare) and my player character got injured, which kept him out of the final mission. Went into that with my spare Atlas, Battlemaster and LosTech Highlander, and it was pretty straightforward.

Iíll be honest - if this hadnít been my first PWYGGWYP game last year, I might never have gone back to it. I really wasnít enjoying it - it was grindy and boring. But Iím very glad I did. The second half was a blast. The turning point for me was getting the LosTech Highlander and Called Shot Mastery. Suddenly headshots became possible and I started salvaging mechs all over the place. Much more fun!

Taking a break now, but I suspect I will have a crack at the DLC sometime. Can you start it directly from a post credits save?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Feb 2020 13:43:29 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @docrob Yep, you can start DLC straight from your post credits save. The structure of the DLC is a little unusual, though.

Some of what it adds - new mechs and mission types - would have been present during the campaign if you had the DLCs installed. But the other thing it adds are Flashpoints. These are short story-campaigns of generally 2-4 missions each, which only unlock once the campaign is beaten (or from the start in career mode). Their stories don't relate to the main game's plot, but are mostly vignettes that tie the game into wider BattleTech lore (most of them have you taking work from one of the Inner Sphere houses).

A couple of them tie into very big story events from the subject matter. The Davion Alliance flashpoint (unlocked when you form an alliance with Davion) previews the Fourth Succession War, while the Heavy Metal flashpoint chain has nods to the Clan invasion (still almost 25 years in the future at this point).

Most flashpoints have at least one decision point - these are actually meaningful (unlike the main story ones), as they can affect the missions you do, as well as the rewards and reputation impacts. A couple of them are fairly nasty Witcher-ish moral choices.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Feb 2020 16:19:58 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Back on my Ironman playthrough now (food poisoning had me too ill to play for 48 hours or so). After a long spell where things were going great, I got bit on the arse hard by a nightmare mission.

I'd blasted through the flashpoints needed to unlock various mechs - Hatchetman, Raven, Bull Shark - and accumulated a really decent lance as a result. I've been spending heavily on LosTech whenever I can, so most of my mechs are well above baseline spec. I've got a bit of variation in my main lance, but have mostly been using an Atlas 2 (got the parts from Flashpoint rewards), a Bull Shark MAZ, a Cyclops Z and then a fire-support mech (generally an Archer).

But the second mission of the "stop the Kurita defector" flashpoint... oh dear. That's always a hard mission, but RNG went against me at every possible point. The enemy convoy was pretty awful - two Demolishers, a Shrek and an LRM carrier. Its escorts were a Victor, a Highlander, a Warhammer and a Kintaro. As usual in that mission, when you kill two of the convoy vehicles, a reinforcement lance spawns. This is where RNJesus hated me.

I got the Highlander and Warhammer down pretty neatly and the Bull Shark pounded the convoy with its Thumper, so they went down fast as well. But the other two enemy mechs in the first lance just Would. Not. Die. Seriously, the Victor was still standing with NO armour (white health) and just over one box of orange health. The reinforcement lance, of course, had spawned with Stalker, Jagermech A, Archer and Victor - insane fire-support capable of hitting me from beyond visual range. And because I couldn't get those two fucking mechs to die, I got absolutely pounded. Plus it put the evac point the other side of the reinforcement lance - so no hope of making a run for it.

Made it through somehow and didn't lose a mech outright, but had my entire lance horribly mauled. Lost a hell of a lot of LosTech I can't replace easily and all of the pilots (basically the best ones on my roster) are in the infirmary for weeks.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 Feb 2020 23:16:19 8,355 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And... made the mistake of looking up the specs of Clan mechs. So even my uber-tuned end-game Kerensky-quality lance wouldn't be able to face the Clans ton-for-ton. Not even close, really. The King Crab and Bull Shark might do some damage before they died.

God the sequel to this can't happen fast enough.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.