Following Detroit: Become Human Page 6

• DUFFMAN5 27 May 2018 18:01:16 24,525 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Finished one playthrough yesterday, the final flowchart is pretty insane, and there's six entirely different final chapters (two for each character) depending on various decisions throughout.
    Hi mate
    How long to beat and on what skill, assuming there are different ones.
    Cheers
  • Frogofdoom 27 May 2018 18:05:20 13,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are skills levels, but you wouldn't want to do it on the lower one as it removes certain events from the game.
  • Your-Mother 27 May 2018 18:15:50 2,764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Eight to ten hours maybe? Double that if you want to unlock the entire flowchart, at a guess.

There's also an incredibly meta bit after you complete it, which is really well thought out. You can "free" Chloe from the main menu, and if she goes she doesn't come back ever. Took me a little by surprise when it happened.
  • LionheartDJH 27 May 2018 19:39:02 20,291 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    You can't be more than about 2 hours in if that is all you have done. Either that or you are very slow at dishes.
    In fairness to him I did take a step back during that part and asked myself if I really was doing the housework in a videogame.
  • ChiefGB 27 May 2018 21:47:12 10,685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    You can't be more than about 2 hours in if that is all you have done. Either that or you are very slow at dishes.
    Sounds about right but on a game that's about 10 hours long I'm therefore about 20% though, I never claimed to be far hence the "slow to start" comment. I never implied it won't get better but my comment was it wasn't currently gripping me.
  • Frogofdoom 27 May 2018 22:16:12 13,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You have kind of jumped on my comment when all I said is you haven't got far at all. It's not really that slow to start when you get the stellar opening with Connor, but it would be weird with Kara and Markus if you didn't get any background due to where they begin. I'm not sure they could do much more with their introduction to make it much more interactive, as it's what's being said that's more important than what you are doing. How would you have handled the introduction for the characters out of interest, not being snarky I'm genuinely curious.
  • ChiefGB 27 May 2018 23:33:52 10,685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's typical cage, and I'm familiar with that, albeit I've not played a new one for a few years now. It's just that maybe the pacing is a bit off and when you have two characters starting slowly it's just bored me a little and I turned it off earlier and havent exactly rushed back. Ive probably just got past it now but it was a bit jarring is all. I'm not saying it's representative of the full game, and I get you have to walk a mile in these guys shoes to get onboard with them.

I'm not really sure how I could have bettered it, maybe not had two mundane sections back to back? but then it's not
    my job to create the story and it shouldn't stop me calling something out when it's poorly paced in my eyes.
  • Your-Mother 27 May 2018 23:34:07 2,764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    To be fair there's also a narrative point to be made with the busy work and whatnot. Slavery and forced labour are pretty much the cornerstones of the plot, and the comparison between Markus/Carl and Kara/Alice's dad's reactions to the work are part of that. I didn't think it dragged that much, but can see how it might feel like a "ok, get to the good stuff already" moment.
  • eshy76 28 May 2018 00:46:34 151 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, Iím about 6 hours in now and this is sitting at a solid 8, borderline 9 out of 10 for me so far - how the story ultimately unfolds will determine my final view, but so far itís bloody enjoyable. Replay potential is massive given the flowchart - I love the way that in the main menu you can basically jump in from any chapter in the story and play from there, so you donít have to go through all the intro again if you donít want to. I will be taking full advantage of that when I finish my first play through.
  • Bambot 28 May 2018 11:53:55 1,361 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So far I've not played any of it as I don't own it and probably never will, and WOW it's playing like a 12 out of 42dividedby4 for me! Which for people who can't do maths is AMAZING OUT OF FIVE.
  • eshy76 28 May 2018 12:33:07 151 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Bambot That probably sounded funnier in your head.
  • RedPanda87 28 May 2018 12:45:04 1,885 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wasn't sure whether to get this at full price but not regretting it at all so far. The writing, while occasionally clunky, lacking subtlety and treading no new ground is probably Cage's best so far and above average for a game, the sense of choice and consequences is greater than I've come across in one of these kinds of games before, the graphics and voice acting are great and even the gameplay is pretty decent, despite still sometimes feeling like one long QTE.

I just hope it doesn't all fall apart at the end like Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit did (and probably Beyond, but that game was so forgettable I can't even remember.)
  • Frogofdoom 28 May 2018 12:48:55 13,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @eshy76 you would have to hope.
  • ChiefGB 28 May 2018 13:39:26 10,685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well played some more today and it's coming together now. I never claimed it wouldn't, just that in isolation those first few "servant" levels weren't really gripping me. It's still a game I'm going to play in chunks I think, but taking today's levels for comparison, the pacing was much better, just got past the junkyard.
  • Humperfunk 28 May 2018 14:30:11 7,994 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished it and very much enjoyed it. Going back to look at other decisions with other chapters now and then will add that to the completion list later today I suspect.

Do enjoy Quantic Dream games a lot, already looking forward to the next one.
  • LionheartDJH 28 May 2018 19:34:48 20,291 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished, enjoyed it a lot. Feels the most open and least restrictive of QD's games. You have a lot more choice and your actions have severe consequences in some cases, and unforeseen minor ones which is always a positive. The quick decision choices were great too.

Liked how the perspectives shifted each chapter to keep it varied and add tension to the story, but in a much more fun way than Heavy Rain. Was great to see the threads come together at various points, especially at the end.

Story was pretty good and judging by some of the flowcharts, the amount of directions it can go in depending on your choices is crazy. Great replay value, looking forward to doing it very differently in the near future.

Having replayed both Heavy Rain and Beyond recently in anticipation of this, I can safely say Detroit is a marked improvement and my favourite of the QD bunch (though I've not played Fahrenheit). Look forward to what they come up with next.

Edited by LionheartDJH at 19:35:23 28-05-2018
  • Frogofdoom 28 May 2018 19:56:25 13,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did you enjoy until dawn, that's my current favourite game of this type followed by heavy rain. I haven't quite finished yet but I think this might finish ahead of until dawn yet.
  • JamboWayOh 28 May 2018 20:09:17 13,130 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looking forward to giving this a crack, I imagine it'll drop in price somewhat soon, although imagine cex will keep it at an inflated price for a good while. Question, how long would you say an average playthrough is?
  • Frogofdoom 28 May 2018 20:23:42 13,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    8-10 hours but probably close to 30 hours to see everything I think someone said.
  • LionheartDJH 28 May 2018 20:31:24 20,291 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Frogofdoom
    Actually never played it, it's been on my list for years but not picked it up yet.

Jambo: as frog says 8-10 hrs but it can play out in a lot of different ways so will take a few playthroughs to see different paths.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2018 20:55:41 24,525 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Amazed to see how many of you are completing this so quickly from release. Do any of you feel cheated by the £45-50 price tag. I know that as long as you enjoyed them it is worth it...I just think I will be happier a couple of months down the line and paying £25 odd.

Duff, tight as a gnats chuff 14 years and counting ;)
  • Globalmeltdown 28 May 2018 21:33:03 752 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iím just playing an episode a day, tempted to play more but itís like God of War in that Iím trying to make the game last as long as possible, not much on the Horizon to look forward to so rationing the good stuff 😊
  • Humperfunk 28 May 2018 22:06:17 7,994 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished, got 86% trophies and feel like I have seen all I want to. Bloody fantastic shit.
  • Frogofdoom 28 May 2018 22:09:57 13,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 one play through really isn't enough on this though. There is stuff already that I need to know what another choice would cause to happen. Some choices are so important and you don't get long to decide.
  • JamboWayOh 28 May 2018 22:20:37 13,130 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers for the info guys.
  • jamesi 29 May 2018 06:47:54 303 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well my delivery ended up a bit of a disaster made worse by Bank holiday, a game i've been waiting years for and probably my most anticipated game of this year too :( off to collect it from post office collection dept as soon as they open today, can't wait to get stuck in tonight. One thing that's great to hear about is the consequences/choices, adds so much more weight to a game, fuckin loved that feature in Until Dawn, although bit disappointed you can't really get a completely 'good' or 'right' outcome from the sound of things.
  • Bombonera 29 May 2018 08:16:27 417 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got the Platinum last night. I started the game on Thursday, it took me around 25 hours to complete over the course of 4 days. I enjoyed it a lot but, having got the Plat, I feel I've seen most of what the game has to offer and won't play it again. I'll probably sell it on to Cex. I paid 45 nicker and Cex are offering 36 right now for it. It's going for around 40-42 used on eBay, but you will probably end up getting less than 36 after seller fees and postage costs are deducted.

Edited by Bombonera at 08:17:45 29-05-2018
  • RyanDS 29 May 2018 08:27:23 12,742 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are there any major spoiler events like heavy rain? Just asking as if there are I will buy now before I get spoiled accidentally, or whether to wait and get my backlog cleared first like I want to?
  • Frogofdoom 29 May 2018 09:31:55 13,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There has been some stuff that I would have been gutted if it were spoiled for me. If you stay out this thread you probably won't see anything too bad though.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 09:32:04 29-05-2018
  • Syrette 29 May 2018 10:28:50 50,224 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    8-10 hours but probably close to 30 hours to see everything I think someone said.
    This is pretty much what Quantic Dream suggest too.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.