PES 2019 Page 9

• Dougs 5 Sep 2018 07:05:06 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's weird, not had a problem on PS4. They'll bung you some GP once sorted I'm sure.
  • Ultrasoundwave 5 Sep 2018 10:08:49 5,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I’ve been a devout PES head for the last 5 or 6 years but then last year, mainly out of boredom, I also got FIFA in a sale just to see the comparison.

FIFA is definitely a bit more “on rails” than PES, but I did appreciate the higher levels of presentation and the football itself was still fun.

Jumping into PES 2019 now and it feels very......loose. Even on the higher levels of difficulty the amount of time and space you can get on the pitch feels very unrealistic......to the point where I’m genuinely questioning which series I prefer.

Very curious to see how the new FIFA stacks up this year...
  • Tuffty 5 Sep 2018 19:10:29 4,191 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Jumping into PES 2019 now and it feels very......loose. Even on the higher levels of difficulty the amount of time and space you can get on the pitch feels very unrealistic..
    This has been the case as far back as 2016 from what I recall. It's like the game doesn't comprehend the idea that you the player won't try and score goals for every minute that the match goes on so if you're a goal or two up and just happy to sit back and pass the ball about, the game will just let you do that. The AI doesn't really press me for the ball as much as I would like.

Anyway, for those interested, there's a deal right now where if you subscribe to the first 3 months of Match of the Day magazine for £24.99, you get a copy of PES2019 for free. Not a bad deal, you can just cancel the subscription after receiving the game.
  • THFourteen 6 Sep 2018 08:09:42 49,551 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    http://www.pcgamer.com/pro-evolution-soccer-2019-review

I agree with pretty much this entire review. It’s spot on from my experience over the last week.
  • Reacher 6 Sep 2018 08:27:20 2,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/pro-evolution-soccer-2019-review

I agree with pretty much this entire review. It’s spot on from my experience over the last week.
    The AI doing the low cross across the box is pretty much every single goal I have conceded. I've even seen an AI team sacrifice a clear 1v1 for playing it out wide to the right. I hope they can patch it to do something else.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Sep 2018 08:52:57 9,622 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cex are paying 35 cash for this on trade in at the moment if anyone is overly pissed off. You can get it new for that online so if you want to wait for a patch there is that option.
  • ERG1008 6 Sep 2018 08:56:24 721 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Good review that. It really makes me wonder why some sites have overlooked all this when it's glaringly obvious.
    One of the main reasons I preferred PES to FIFA in ML/Career mode was that the AI teams all played differently and changed tactics accordingly keeping you on your toes. Now it just seems regardless of the set-u, players or team it tries to score the same goal over and over again.

I've been watching Matt10L on YouTube and he has been controlling his DMF when defending and bringing him back into the box to nullify the low cross and it seems pretty effective but again there's no variety from the AI.

I'm hoping Konami can patch this but I'm not holding my breath.
    I still haven't got over when 2008 was a complete shambles and Seabass came out and said "Yeah we know it's crap but wait until next year" shortly after release.
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Sep 2018 08:56:50 5,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn’t say I’m pissed off with it......I’ve just adjusted my opinion from “PES is better than FIFA in every single way (except licenses)!” to “Actually FIFA doesn’t get enough credit for the way it plays and is actually superior in a lot of ways”.

I’ll get FIFA when it comes out and put them head to head......the loser will get traded in.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Sep 2018 09:17:46 9,622 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the heading thing seems to be that only the best headers of the ball can manage anything like a decent header at goal. I didn't notice it at first as I was using Man Utd and Lukaku buries them as regularly as I would be expect. The problem comes with more technical strikers and they are completely unable to head at goal properly. It seems that if you don't have 90 or so rating you head the ball like a schoolboy that is scared of the ball.
  • Dougs 6 Sep 2018 09:24:33 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ERG1008 wrote:

I'm hoping Konami can patch this but I'm not holding my breath.
    I still haven't got over when 2008 was a complete shambles and Seabass came out and said "Yeah we know it's crap but wait until next year" shortly after release.
    Ha, I remember that - it was enough for me to bin PES for 3-4 years and only buy FIFA.
  • Dougs 6 Sep 2018 09:27:16 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    I think the heading thing seems to be that only the best headers of the ball can manage anything like a decent header at goal. I didn't notice it at first as I was using Man Utd and Lukaku buries them as regularly as I would be expect. The problem comes with more technical strikers and they are completely unable to head at goal properly. It seems that if you don't have 90 or so rating you head the ball like a schoolboy that is scared of the ball.
    That's PES all over though. Same goes for shots on their weaker foot or whatever. PES has always played to the strength of each player and it's down to us to know that. I've only scored a couple of headers, but that's because Auba clearly doesn't want to mess his hair up!
  • THFourteen 6 Sep 2018 09:52:45 49,551 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah i don't mind that as much, its always been a PESism. Maybe its gone TOO far that way now, but still, its down to us to know the players and which their strongest foot is etc. I am not great at it, but i definitely know my wingers and strikers best feet as thats crucial.

I mean you wouldnt setup a football manager team to cross the ball repeatedly with a single 5'8" striker.

Scored a header with Dzeko this morning :-)
  • Frogofdoom 6 Sep 2018 10:08:20 9,622 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it's more the way they head the ball than the inability to score. If they didn't do that weird floaty thing and actually looked like a genuine attempt at goal people would be less bothered I reckon.
  • ERG1008 6 Sep 2018 10:16:10 721 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Dougs- Me too, Fifa 09 was superb!

Reference headers - What about players like Chicarito who is 5ft 9 but really, really good in the air?
    Just looked on PESMaster and he has Heading of 82 and Jump of 84.
    Has anyone used West Ham yet or bought him?
  • Frogofdoom 6 Sep 2018 10:18:44 9,622 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't touch West Ham if you had a gun to the head of my child.
  • ERG1008 6 Sep 2018 10:28:08 721 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ha ha good point!
  • Reacher 6 Sep 2018 11:44:53 2,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm playing in the Russian prem and have scored a few headers with my random striker. I try and get up as early as possible to try and keep the ball down.

I'm going to change the difficulty to see if the AI plays any better.
  • Dougs 6 Sep 2018 11:50:53 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really struggling to keep the ball down with headers on advanced shooting. But I think it's because I forget to pull the L stick away to get over the ball.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2018 11:57:36 2,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Advanced shooting with headers is always more tricky, I've never fully mastered it
  • OnlyJoeKing 6 Sep 2018 14:27:41 743 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's fair to say I'm pissed off with the PC version of this. Still enjoying it, but:

- Online connectivity is a joke. Takes on average about 20 attempts to log in each time.

- Headers are terrible. Corners and crossing has been nerfed far too much.

- I got a duplicate midfielder in MyClub, and it seems there's nothing you can do unless you have 3 of them. So that's a waste of the few coins it gives you, then. My team still doesn't have even a half decent striker, and my gripes with the game mean I'll not be spending actual money any time soon.

- And the AI seems a bit poor. Not that I've played much offline now.

- Worst of all, perhaps, is the defending seems a bit one-dimensional - you have pretty much got to run back towards your own goal the whole time. If you don't, for a single second, you invariably open yourself up to a one-two through ball. This is then by far the best way to attack, so the games I've played have really lacked variety. PES 2017 was much better here, you could ping it around and try to play through, or make your way to the wing and try to cross, and both would be effective.

All in all, it's disappointing. Still a fun game to play, but it's far from a vintage year.
  • OnlyJoeKing 6 Sep 2018 15:32:31 743 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Actually, thinking about it, you need 3 duplicate players to trade in to get another one. So if you want to keep the original player, you actually need four of the same card to trade the duplicates in! What a joke.
  • Dougs 6 Sep 2018 15:43:42 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They are not always direct duplicates. I worked out that my duplicate was at different stage in their career, so didn't count. I guess the theory is that you could use one until they declined, then promote the other. Or something. I dunno. Didn't realise you needed 3 though.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Sep 2018 16:18:02 9,622 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just realised that people that pay get 3 players of the week each week. This is shitty, I may sack off myclub this year and stick with ml when they (hopefully) fix teams selling all their players.
  • Dougs 7 Sep 2018 09:47:44 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What's broken about ML transfers? Other than the values being way off base and a bit easy to sign players? Not really noticed anything else.
  • THFourteen 7 Sep 2018 09:58:43 49,551 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing

The connection issues are a real joke now. I reinstalled it on one of my devices and now every time i try to connect it asks me to accept all the privacy messages again. But because it can never finish the connection due to the usual errors, it fails and i have to try again, and accept the damn privacy messages each time.

Tried 10 times this morning to no avail and quit in a huff and played destiny 2 instead.

The low cross AI goals are really starting to bother me now too.
  • Dougs 7 Sep 2018 10:00:06 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm only playing on Professional, but not really seeing that many cut-back goals. The odd one, but most games manage to thwart them.
  • OnlyJoeKing 7 Sep 2018 18:55:14 743 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @THFourteen I'm trying to log in now. Was planning to count how many times I had to try and then report back, but I'm on 38 now and I have to say, I am fucking bored.
  • OnlyJoeKing 7 Sep 2018 19:03:36 743 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    50+ attempts and fuck this. Shambles.
  • Dougs 7 Sep 2018 19:05:35 86,475 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Why not just play an offline mode until they sort it?
  • THFourteen 7 Sep 2018 19:13:30 49,551 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Dougs

Want my daily coins dammit

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.