Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition

First Previous
  • cowell 15 May 2018 14:33:58 1,507 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Am not really a musou player but this has me tempted. Didn't play it on Wii U and this feels like it might scratch a post-BotW itch. Is this going to be fun or is it a little idiosyncratic? Feels like the sort of game I am either going to love or hate so could well be a physical purchase in case it needs trading in...

• rice_sandwich 15 May 2018 14:59:38 4,284 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I had it on the Wii U. It's good and chock full of content but the underlying gameplay loop is extremely repetitive (smash grunts senseless and face off against more powerful commanders) whilst completing map objectives. I find it the good sort of repetitive though. It's all about levelling up characters and collecting gear but not in a Diablo style way.

Fire Emblem Warriors allows greater control of allies but many of its characters have cloned movesets and there are no real big boss battles. Hyrule has more varied characters but isn't as strategically deep but has big boss battles. I'm very tempted to double dip.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 15 May 2018 15:05:37 31,952 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I adore it, but I bought it and all the DLC on both 3DS and Wii U so I'm not going to go for it a third time, but the fact I enjoyed it enough to buy it the first 2 times should be interpreted as a firmly positive recommendation :)

That said, I'd give Fire Emblem Warriors the edge for me as I preferred the way the battles feel and how useful your allies are. Hyrule Warriors is great though, especially if you like the Zelda series as there's lots of fan service.
  • cowell 15 May 2018 15:11:47 1,507 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I've no real love for Fire Emblem. It's definitely the Zelda factor that's key for me here. Think i will see how it reviews and buy the box
  • minky-kong 15 May 2018 15:19:06 13,578 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tried the demo of the 3DS version a while back and found it really mindless and repetitive, and the price of this re-release definitely puts me off.

I might pick it up at a later date if it goes cheap.
  • rice_sandwich 15 May 2018 15:24:09 4,284 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DFawkes

FEW is a bit less exciting, imo. I'm not very familiar with its characters and lore whereas all the Zelda stuff is a lot more familiar and seems more fun and interesting. I do really like the superior ally control in FEW.
  • ZuluHero 15 May 2018 16:42:20 6,377 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Scale of the battles are great, and it's awesome to see link cut through swathes of enemies. There are some awesome track remixes too, particularly fond if the skyward sword level.

I'm pretty sure that I'll get it again, just for all the extra stuff, as I only played it on wii u.
  • Duffking 15 May 2018 16:50:03 15,466 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The main thing you need to know is that the combat in these games is a means to an end, it's flashy but it's not really an engaging thing in and of itself. So if you're after great combat, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. The game is really about managing a battlefield and prioritising what order to do stuff - stuff like "there's saboteurs going to this keep and this character is low on health, if they die it's mission over and if I lose this keep it's mission over, how do I get past this?" is the norm. It's like strategy-lite, really.

I think I preferred this to FEW, FEW is fun and mechanically better in terms of the weapon triangle stuff, but the maps all blend into one for me and there's too many clone characters. HW just has a bit more personality and charm.
  • GloatingSwine 15 May 2018 16:54:52 3,732 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I found FEW a good deal easier than HW.

Mostly because the C3 always opens the stun gauge and is usually pretty safe.

Also because there are far fewer restrictions on who you can use through History Mode which means you only need a few really strong characters to blast through, and you don't have to complete a map to unlock higher tier weapons. Some of the weapon unlock maps in HW's adventure mode were a righ bugger.
  • Ror 15 May 2018 20:19:57 17,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm hovering over this. I already own the base game on the Wii U, and though I enjoyed it (it's basically Zelda Fanservice: The Game), I only played a few hours because I just didn't like using the Wii U.

I can get it for £37 on the Argos site... Yea or nay..?
  • ZuluHero 15 May 2018 22:13:50 6,377 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How are you seeing it for £37? Says £41.99 for me?

Edit: ahh let me guess, you have a £5 voucher?

Edited by ZuluHero at 22:15:13 15-05-2018
  • Ror 15 May 2018 22:18:58 17,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do, yeah. Trying to decide what to use it on.

Is there a decent rundown anywhere that lists what's new in this version? I haven't been paying attention.
  • ZuluHero 15 May 2018 22:24:48 6,377 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The only info I have found is this blurb from the official Nintendo site

"This Definitive Edition brings all the content from both the Wii U and 3DS versions in one convenient package, including maps, characters, missions and all original downloadable content. Also, keep an eye out for new outfits based on the franchise's most successful venture to date; The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild!

Read more at https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-game/hyrule-warriors-definitive-edition/11708936.html#dtLQfKdLRLuAmVB8.99"
  • DakeyrasUK 15 May 2018 22:32:27 1,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wasnt sure about the game but got it on wiiu and fucking loved the shit out of the game.

As others said not due to combat but due to zelda fan service and the stratergy lite gameplay.

Am tempted to double dip but really have no need for it when i have such a backlog on ps4...
  • Ror 15 May 2018 22:41:18 17,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks Zulu. I'll have a look about and see if I can find anything more comprehensive. Think I'll probably end up biting though - a port of this was actually something I was hoping for, so I should probably follow through :D
  • Ror 15 May 2018 23:39:23 17,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, sod it, I ordered it :) I couldn't really find any more details about what's included - pretty much everything I looked at just said 'includes legends additions and all dlc', which isn't very helpful when you don't know what that content was.

Again though, I enjoyed the base game enough, so anything extra is a bonus.
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 07:11:00 4,284 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Ror

I haven't played it but doing a bit of reading, the 3ds version had to extra things like:

Additional playable characters
    Fairy mode (train up fairies to help in battle)
    Legend mode chapters
    More items
    Different rewards for missions etc.
    Switching between characters in a battle
    Another Adventure map

There's hundreds of hours of content. Admittedly much of it is very repetitive and grinding is probably required at times.
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 07:16:09 4,284 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    See also:

https://www.gameskinny.com/i6erm/hyrule-warriors-legends-comparison-vs-wii-u-version
  • Sharz 16 May 2018 08:17:33 1,811 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Played it in the (new) 3DS and found it a fun little game. But yeah agree with others a bit repetive, perfect for short bursts on a handheld though. And the item/upgrade system is surprisingly deep and frustrating.

If Nintendo offered some form of super discount for upgrading to switch I would have done ages ago. But this is yet another re release game I already own.

Edited by Sharz at 08:18:21 16-05-2018
  • Mola_Ram 16 May 2018 09:28:59 17,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had it on 3ds, and didn't nearly play enough of it. So I'll probably double dip, for the graphical upgrade if nothing else.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 16 May 2018 09:47:21 3,048 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This annoyingly got announced the week after I finally decided to just get the 3DS version. DLCs generally have adventure mode maps for each game covered (adding the handheld games in Legends) and some new characters/weapons. I haven't played enough to personally say how much there is new to do but general internet consensus was that you got a lot of gameplay for your money.
  • Ror 16 May 2018 14:20:52 17,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Thanks rice. Sounds like I'll more than get my money's worth!
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 15:04:09 4,284 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nintendolife review:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/hyrule_warriors_definitive_edition
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 15:47:52 4,284 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/16/hyrule-warriors-definitive-edition-review-linkle-past-7550813/

4/10 from Metro. Safe to say they hate it 😀
  • uiruki 16 May 2018 16:06:36 4,522 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    He always marks down Musou games. Not sure where he got a 15+ hour campaign being “short” from though, probably the same place he got “relatively steady 60fps docked”.
  • cowell 16 May 2018 16:16:09 1,507 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Decided to pick up Mario + Rabbids instead. Seemed like a safer, less repetitive bet, but I'll be keeping an eye on the reviews and will see if a decent discount pops up at the right time for me
  • Duffking 16 May 2018 16:24:20 15,466 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @uiruki didn't Nintendolife say it's 60fps docked too?
  • rice_sandwich 16 May 2018 16:28:22 4,284 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Docked is 60fps with occasional dips.
  • Ror 16 May 2018 16:32:09 17,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't realise reviews were coming out today. This one's been up for a while - review of the JP release - and I've only just started watching it, but it sounds like he's going to go in-depth on what's included.

• uiruki 16 May 2018 16:32:45 4,522 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Trust me, the dips are more than occasional. You’re looking at 40-50 most of the time when anything is happening. It runs a fair bit worse than FE did in framerate mode, to make a comparison.

A lot of the adventure maps are a bit lighter though. There’s often quite a bit going on in the story and they really throw loads of enemies at you.

Edit: in spite of that it’s still one of the best performing console Musou games in recent years. The engine just hasn’t scaled well.

Edited by uiruki at 16:34:47 16-05-2018
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.