Following Battlefield 5 Page 24

  • Zyrr 17 Dec 2018 13:52:51 382 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this the wrong time to ask if this is better than Battlefield 1?

    Was fancying a bit of time with a shooter over Christmas, just not sure which one.
  • Bichii 17 Dec 2018 13:54:14 1,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Zyrr MILES better than 1.
  • Zyrr 17 Dec 2018 13:57:00 382 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's encouraging, thanks! Would you say this is about the best of the crop this year?
  • SambaApe 17 Dec 2018 14:01:55 1,296 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now down to £33.99 on amazon for those interested..
  • Bichii 17 Dec 2018 14:32:21 1,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Zyrr depends what you want. I wouldn't recommend it just on the single player but mp is mostly excellent.
  • ChiefGB 17 Dec 2018 14:33:14 10,842 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Zyrr yes much better, I bounced right of off cod this year but then Iíve always had a soft spot for bf, wasnít a huge fan of 1 although it did get better in the end, this is coming from a better starting point.
  • Zyrr 17 Dec 2018 15:34:02 382 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'll pick it up this week :)
  • KRadiation 17 Dec 2018 16:08:35 1,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zyrr wrote:
    Is this the wrong time to ask if this is better than Battlefield 1?

    Was fancying a bit of time with a shooter over Christmas, just not sure which one.

    I'd say no. The maps feel smaller. less vehicles. barely any dog fights because the maps are so small. you spawn into planes almost immediately over the action so not much space or time to work out what you want to do

    it does a lot of new things better... but It just feels like battlefront 2 reskinned
  • ChiefGB 17 Dec 2018 16:16:28 10,842 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seeing as the land vehicles in 1 were beyond atrocious, I feel that v handles these much better
  • Bichii 17 Dec 2018 16:44:18 1,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What vehicles in 1!? There were hardly any and they were shite. For vehicles 5>>>>>1
  • Huggybear 17 Dec 2018 18:03:15 1,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KRadiation wrote:
    Zyrr wrote:
    Is this the wrong time to ask if this is better than Battlefield 1?

    Was fancying a bit of time with a shooter over Christmas, just not sure which one.

    I'd say no. The maps feel smaller. less vehicles. barely any dog fights because the maps are so small. you spawn into planes almost immediately over the action so not much space or time to work out what you want to do

    it does a lot of new things better... but It just feels like battlefront 2 reskinned
    There's tons of vehicles on Panzerstorm. On the whole I think the idea is to make vehicles scarce, because you can call them in as a reinforcement, and that needs to feel meaningful.

    Not sure if the maps are smaller, but they seem to flow better than on BF1. Too many maps in that were built around a central chokepoint, which then became a massive grenade/mortar/explosive spamfest. For example, both Arras and Twisted Steel have a central flag, but the action flows around it as well. Compare those to Ballroom, Argonne Forest, Suez or Tsaritsyn.

    Frankly, the best thing about BF 5 is probably the lack of explosive spam. 95% of the time you get killed by bullets, which is how it should be in a shooter. In BF1 you'd see people with 100 Service Stars on the bombers, and once a guy with less time played than me but with 30 Service Stars on the Rocket launcher. All he seemed to do was prone next to an ammo box and fire rockets across the map on Amiens.
  • ChiefGB 17 Dec 2018 20:19:55 10,842 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So latest news is they are undoing their ttk adjustment. Probably for the best as they made it nothing but worse.
  • askew 17 Dec 2018 20:27:37 19,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh dear. Is this not something they ran the whole beta/early access to try and figure out? I wonder whether DICE could use the metrics they're gathering, and do a little experimentation: different servers running different rates.
  • ChiefGB 17 Dec 2018 20:47:47 10,842 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They already have been doing exactly that, the ďcoreĒ game mode kept the old rates, Iím assuming everyone migrated there very quickly.
  • askew 17 Dec 2018 21:36:06 19,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OIC

    First time I've played in the past week. It does feel like the enemy are bullet sponges :/
  • askew 17 Dec 2018 22:12:26 19,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also feels like the servers are only half-full.
  • Huggybear 18 Dec 2018 06:32:14 1,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    After playing for a few evenings on the "New Normal" servers, I tried a game on a Core server and holy hell do you die fast. Felt like most times I died I didn't have any time to react whatsoever.

    You probably get used to the old TTK, but the difference really is stark. And frankly, I probably prefer the slower TTK because my reaction speeds are not what they used to be... #lifeafter40

    Maybe I just need to start playing a lot slower since the fast TTK strongly favours the person who opens fire first, positioning before the fight is the most important thing.

    Anyhow, once they eventually get around to fixing the net code, it'll probably feel a bit better.
  • Huggybear 18 Dec 2018 09:18:49 1,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They've also added a new weapon overnight: the Ribeyrolles assault rifle.

    It makes a return from BF1, and although I haven't tested it yet, it looks a bit uninspiring. Same damage model as the other ARs, but only a 540 RPM fire rate. It does have a bipod, but I still can't see the point since Assault now has access to Semi auto Rifles with 3 x scopes, and anyone who's into proning and spraying is better off playing Support anyway.

    Not to mention the fact it's almost certain no one used the gun in WW2. It was rare in WW1, and used a custom made cartridge which wouldn't have been in production during WW2 anymore.

    But then copying weapons from BF1 saves DICE a lot of work, which is why we have so many, and there's more to come (at least the Mars pistol is on it's way, and 1906 SLR from Tides of War next week).

    EDIT: Looks like may have been too hasty. It seems incredibly accurate. Stick a 3x Scope on it and it's almost like a faster, full-auto M1A1 (which is a gun I really like, but which is also hard to get the most out on at least on console because it's hard to fire it fast enough).

    Edited by Huggybear at 15:47:06 18-12-2018
  • askew 18 Dec 2018 21:36:20 19,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Meh.

    Squadplay seems to have taken a nosedive.
  • mickerty 19 Dec 2018 07:26:06 345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Huggybear aye - the rarity if weapons was a big problem in BF1 - it was surely all SMLE's and Mauser's with the occasional SMG in the last few months. At least that's what I can gather from my researching.

    Same with BFV - the turner SMLE was hardly used and the description in the game even describes this ;)

    Another is the strumgeweher as the opening rifle in assault. It's described as being made from parts of the STG44 and distributed to civilians to make a last stand against the red army. So it doesn't exist in this phase of the game.

    Good YouTube channel on ww1 era firearms that I found about through the Great War channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClq1dvO44aNovUUy0SiSDOQ) who then went on to this
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1AejCL4DA7jYkZAELRhHQ
  • binky Moderator 20 Dec 2018 09:22:25 10,958 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Finally been able to put a few hours into BFV and there's a lot to like. Do we get to unlock loadouts at any point? I miss not having a few setups to choose from depending on the situation/game-type.
  • HairyArse 20 Dec 2018 09:35:52 1,258 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I assume that having not got on with a Battlefield game since 2 that this isn't going to change my feelings?
  • askew 20 Dec 2018 10:14:28 19,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Finally been able to put a few hours into BFV and there's a lot to like. Do we get to unlock loadouts at any point? I miss not having a few setups to choose from depending on the situation/game-type.
    You can change certain perks using the squad menu; otherwise you can swap weapons/presets around when you're waiting to deploy.
  • Huggybear 20 Dec 2018 11:53:27 1,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @binky

    Probably added at a later time. Took quite a while before those were added to BF1 I think.

    Quite a lot of features still missing.
  • ChiefGB 20 Dec 2018 12:50:25 10,842 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    I assume that having not got on with a Battlefield game since 2 that this isn't going to change my feelings?
    Depends on your reasons for not getting on with it really, I love the feeling of war that battlefield brings, the ebb and flow of making a difference and turning a defeat into a win plus the unpredictability of destructible terrain and vehicles on land and air. Also the fact that everyone can contribute even if they arenít a crack player. Cod just comes across as stale and played out in comparison for me.
  • HairyArse 20 Dec 2018 13:14:22 1,258 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's more that generally I have no fucking clue what is going on :D
  • ChiefGB 20 Dec 2018 13:18:50 10,842 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thatís all part of the fun
  • OllyJ 20 Dec 2018 13:53:37 4,514 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    It's more that generally I have no fucking clue what is going on :D
    Get in a squad, and follow the squad. Even if you have no mates online, I find most people will communicate and it's great fun when you work as a team.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.