Following Battlefield 5 Page 25

• mickerty 20 Dec 2018 14:12:55 306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @binky I thought the loadouts were kind of like your company. You can setup the German and British classes to have different (or faction correct) weapons!

Can't change the presets on the fly though :(
  • ChiefGB 21 Dec 2018 09:39:37 9,921 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone else finding it takes an age to find a game this past week (xbox)
  • Vortex808 21 Dec 2018 09:43:53 12,946 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NO, still seems pretty quick when I've been trying. Mostly conquest mind, maybe some other modes are taking a bit longer?

Hopefully the servers will be even busier after xmas too.
  • H1ggyLTD 21 Dec 2018 10:42:31 11,236 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Play whatever the daily wants you to and you're in.
  • Huggybear 21 Dec 2018 11:14:25 1,540 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    "Repair vehicles as Support" > Play > Fjell Conquest...

Well, guess I can do the "Damage planes" one instead.

Last one is bugged again. Destroyed three tanks, but none counted because the assignment slot for Tides of War was empty, despite me having three or four others incomplete as well.

Edited by Huggybear at 11:16:11 21-12-2018
  • Huggybear 21 Dec 2018 17:08:26 1,540 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    "Destroy one Tank" > Play > Fjell again! Which has no vehicles. On top of that, the assignment wasn't even active.

I did eventually get it done, by leaving and trying again until I got it active.
  • ChiefGB 22 Dec 2018 01:18:33 9,921 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Couldnít even get the first one started for this week, despite destroying two tanks and damaging umpteen vehicles with rockets and c4 in a match the other night.
  • Huggybear 22 Dec 2018 09:54:44 1,540 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You need to at least have the correct ToW assignment visible in the top right corner of the assignment UI during the match.

If it's empty or showing one you've already completed, leave the server / finished the game and quit, and requeue until you get it.
  • mickerty 28 Dec 2018 12:24:14 306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    https://youtu.be/8-PmLxkOmaM

A very detailed video on the different STEN varieties over the war - would be cool if DICE had visual customisation to allow you to interchange the parts of the mk3 or the mk1. Those are the kind of thing they could offer as microtransactions - more interesting than different colour decals...

Still loving the game but needs more maps!
  • Huggybear 28 Dec 2018 13:24:32 1,540 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Somehow I think they'll add more customisation options when they add the real money currency into the game in January. There isn't really anything that seems worth buying at the moment.

Game's still a ton of fun, but fuck me the Tides of War is bugged. Had to finish three Grand Operations to get it to register (and it showed in the in-match assignment menu every time), the second one (2600 Objective Score) got stuck at 150, was inactive for the next two thirds of the GO, then suddenly started working again.

And then I went three games in a row without having any active at all.

You just cannot lock new weapons behind assignments when they're this badly bugged. Give them to everyone for free and apologise until you get your shit fixed.
  • Bichii 28 Dec 2018 15:05:27 895 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Looking forward to playing this again. I'm currently hooked on throne breaker so been off bf for over a week but I can't possibly play anything else until tb is done!
  • mickerty 28 Dec 2018 17:00:34 306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Huggybear totally - they need to fix this asap. The concept I like but.

I really want more game modes - didn't BF1 have a small player count "competitive" mode that never made it out of public beta? I think only one of each class was allowed on each team? Sounded like a good fit for this game.

Frontlines is all I'm really playing at the moment. I don't think grand operations is as good as BF1's.
  • mickerty 30 Dec 2018 08:28:36 306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mickerty wrote:
    https://youtu.be/8-PmLxkOmaM

A very detailed video on the different STEN varieties over the war - would be cool if DICE had visual customisation to allow you to interchange the parts of the mk3 or the mk1. Those are the kind of thing they could offer as microtransactions - more interesting than different colour decals...

Still loving the game but needs more maps!

Now that I have actually taken time to look at the sten customisations, they actually do this - barrels have the SMLE sight and the stocks change design as per the mk1-mk3 designs

Neato!

The Lewis gun also does something similar with the barrel shroud.
  • mickerty 2 Jan 2019 10:26:25 306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hope I'm not the only one playing this but Bloomington Heckles DICE's attention to detail is just staggering and I need to point it out.

When you use the SMLE (I've only noticed it without a scope) your player holds the trigger and the bolt at the same time; rather than put their hand back round the stock, fire and then move their hand off the stock onto the bolt. Apparently this is a technique the British soldiers used to cycle the weapon as fast as possible.

In WW1, there is that story of the Germans thinking they were facing British machine guns when they were actually facing a troop of riflemen with SMLEs, and this I guess is the technique they would use.

When using the iron sights on the SMLE, when you cycle the action, your player doesn't "move" the whole gun, so your sights stay on the target at all times. Again this is another advantage of the SMLE as other rifles like mausers had a longer bolt which you would have to move your face out of the way of and therefore lose sight of the target between rounds. Another little adage I heard from WW1 was "the Germans brought a hunting rifle, the Americans a target rifle and the British brought a battle rifle".

Another cool little detail is that when using a sight on the SMLE it appears you can't reload with stripper clips and have to load each round one-by-one. I think this is because the sight mount is in the way.

Pretty cool! I've never fired a rifle in my life to be fair....

I'm sure there are loads of little details like this in the game (the sten mk changes being another) but not immediately apparent.
  • H1ggyLTD 2 Jan 2019 10:47:59 11,236 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're right - i don't pay that much attention. I thought it was pretty cool how you run through the water, though.

Had a great game of Frontlines the other night, in the desert. We were on top for over an hour but B was swinging both ways. We finally took it, and there was a he push on A with minutes to go. Spectacular stuff.
  • H1ggyLTD 2 Jan 2019 10:48:20 11,236 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Then it said 'get ready for next round' and i was like nah.
  • Bichii 2 Jan 2019 10:56:31 895 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Too many little details to list. I found after a few weeks off most players rocking the one gun 1918 which is just zzz.

I'm finding maybe the most versatile gun is the m1 with 4x scope. It's pretty good all round or still the st44.
  • ChiefGB 2 Jan 2019 14:13:26 9,921 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not played for a few weeks over Xmas, matchmaking still seems fucked. Currently 2+ mins waiting for a grand op game
  • Bichii 2 Jan 2019 14:37:47 895 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    That's because grand ops are poop. Frontline a and conquest on PS4 are instant.
  • ChiefGB 2 Jan 2019 17:11:54 9,921 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I know. But itís this weeks challenge thingy and guess what.....4 meat grinder matches later, still no recognition of having completed one. Eurggh it was horrible.
  • Vortex808 2 Jan 2019 17:29:05 12,946 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had that too. Won a grand op at the start of the window to get the rifle, but the server disconnected itself just as we won and it took ages to win another full game for the rifle after that.

Given grand operations take ages to play, i was not best pleased. Got it eventually, but i don't tend to play them as a rule. I prefer the shorter game modes.
  • Bichii 2 Jan 2019 23:10:50 895 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Search "under no flag battlefield v ost" on YouTube. Such an epic track, way too good for a battlefield sp campaign, should have been in brave heart or saving private Ryan winning Oscars. Such a waste. :)
  • ChiefGB 3 Jan 2019 02:08:29 9,921 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Under no flag is a beautiful piece of music.
  • mickerty 3 Jan 2019 07:03:43 306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yep it's stunning - the ost is really good and on Spotify!
  • Bichii 14 Jan 2019 14:18:31 895 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Omg this game is amazing when you get one of the more vehicle based maps.had three incredible grand ops games last night and reminded my why I used to think bf was by far the best PvP around. Incredible battles that all came down to the wire.
  • JBlokeUK 15 Jan 2019 06:50:42 2,308 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are people out there who think this is better than Battlefield 1? No, BF1 was far better. Bought this thinking it would at least be on par with it but my god I was so wrong. Selling it currently.

Shame, I had high hopes but sadly for whatever reason the pace of it is 2x more than any other Battlefield game. It's more like Call of Duty in it's pacing which has put me right off.
  • Bichii 15 Jan 2019 07:20:48 895 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Bf1 was pony compared to this. It was way too infantry based and way too arcadey and had so much grenade spam, it had way too many prick snipers and way too many indirect fire weapons. It was less squad based and was 95% infantry. So it was far more like cod than V.
  • Bichii 15 Jan 2019 07:21:35 895 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Co op mode out Thursday!
  • H1ggyLTD 15 Jan 2019 07:45:43 11,236 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JBlokeUK wrote:
    There are people out there who think this is better than Battlefield 1?
    Pretty much everybody.
  • Derblington 15 Jan 2019 07:49:21 31,230 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Co op mode out Thursday!
    Feb.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.