Onrush Page 2

• ModoX 20 May 2018 13:20:37 3,330 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    ModoX wrote:
    The Crew 2 is coming. Keep your fingers crossed!
    Though if the beta was any indication, that will be worse than the 1st one.

Arcade racers really are a dying breed. Wheres Sega when you need them?
    Oof really? I couldn't stand the first, this was looking much better to me, just depends on the loop and the handling.

Is anyone planning on buying Onrush at this point then? I'll probably still get it and give it a go, also just support arcade racing games in general.
  • JamesUK 20 May 2018 14:22:37 732 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I haven't completely written off Onrush. I'll play some more today (assuming the beta is still running) and experiment a bit more with strategy.
    I had another hour or so with it Friday evening. Once I got my head around the fact that it isn't a racing game and aimed to stay in the pack instead of boosting to the front it did feel more purposeful.
  • FuzzyDucky 20 May 2018 18:51:39 3,496 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Aww :(

Anyone know if Gravel is any good?
    Thereís a demo! So give it a go.

Spoiler - based on the demo, itís a bit shit
    Aww again! :(

Anyone know if Burnout 2 and 3 and Outrun 2006 are backwards compatible with the Xbox One?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 May 2018 19:47:05 7,962 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'll keep an eye on it but I wouldn't want to pay much more than a sale price. Certainly not a launch buy.
  • waggy79 20 May 2018 20:36:29 1,891 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JamesUK just to let you know theyve extended the beta and added 2 more tracks.
  • TitanWarlord93 20 May 2018 23:10:48 327 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Managed to play 30 minutes of the beta. I have mixed impressions but it is fun. Made the decision not to buy this. Just couldn't see how racing and teamwork come together in this game.
  • Flying_Pig 21 May 2018 09:25:46 15,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Had a couple of 'races' on this yesterday - I'm not sold on it at all. It's like they've tried to make a team-based FPS, but in cars with no weapons. It reminds me of the mode in WipEout, where it's about shooting other competitors and accumulating points, rather than trying to be first.

I didn't find the fun and would have much rather they just made a proper Motorstorm game...
  • KD 21 May 2018 09:53:08 2,012 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Didn't get on with it, just don't get any fun out of it and miss the first to the line part of normal racing games. May get the 360 down for some Blur and PGR this week.
  • shamblemonkee 21 May 2018 13:27:52 17,939 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, all it did was make me want Blur back.
  • glo 21 May 2018 13:41:17 3,591 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    tried a few games but couldn't get into it and deleted the beta.

As other have said, the problem for me was that the collision/damage modelling seems to be too arbitrary. One match I scored about 7 kills, next match got 0 and got taken out numerous times. Couldn't really tell that I had played worse in the latter game.

I think that it could be a semi-fun distraction given more time with it but there are better games around and I don't have enough free time to spend on average games any more. I say that as a fan of arcade racers and someone who wanted to like the game.

considering that Blur and Split/Second were commercial flops (and much better games in my opinion), I really don't see this selling.
  • scoobysi 21 May 2018 23:24:32 1,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :)
    KD wrote:
    Didn't get on with it, just don't get any fun out of it and miss the first to the line part of normal racing games. May get the 360 down for some Blur and PGR this week.
    If nothing else Onrush is doing a great job of rekindling interest in old games, I played Excite Truck which was still surprisingly good, Pacific Rift next :)

Seems to be a real marmite game.
  • ModoX 3 Jun 2018 09:52:38 3,330 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clip from the review copy I've been hammering this weekend: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahu9S9hGM03Q7gG4CfYagKA3GhPC

There's an embargo of course, but I'd say don't judge it by the beta too much.
  • Ultrasoundwave 3 Jun 2018 10:50:39 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didnít have time to get around to the beta.

Whatís the crack with this?, predominantly single player or MP?, even split between both?

Definitely curious about it but will wait for reviews based on the Driveclub launch......
  • ModoX 3 Jun 2018 11:44:52 3,330 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Multiplayer. There's single player but it's structured multiplayer against AI. Though there is quite a lot of it, with challenges to chase etc.
  • Ultrasoundwave 4 Jun 2018 22:33:45 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    glo wrote:
    Considering that Blur and Split/Second were commercial flops (and much better games in my opinion), I really don't see this selling
    Blur and Split/Second weíre both awesome, such good games.....they just made the fatal mistake of releasing within a week of each other.

Iím surprised reading the impressions of Onrush here - I didnít get around to the beta but Iím quite surprised by what the game has (apparently) turned out to be.

Considering this is from the guys who made Motorstorm - an excellent arcade racer that received big critical and commercial success - I assumed Onrush was going to be a spiritual reboot of Motorstorm.

Sounds like thatís the route they should have taken anyway.....
  • Dombat 4 Jun 2018 22:56:06 1,402 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A big part of me hopes the game reviews well and finds its niche playerbase. I commend Codemasters for trying something different, even if its not what I wanted it to be (and I'm not sure what it is has mileage for me).
  • 2old4disshit 5 Jun 2018 10:52:05 592 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dont understand the objective at all.

Would like a racing game that is just normal and not open world or online or just weird.
  • IronGiant 5 Jun 2018 11:44:15 5,794 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This seems to be being praised for being different or trying something different.. different does not always mean good.

I'd take a remastered Motorstorm over this anyway.

Edited by IronGiant at 11:44:27 05-06-2018
  • ModoX 5 Jun 2018 12:48:17 3,330 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now the embargo is up I can safely report that this game is incredible. Beta underwhelmed me but the final version clicks into place much better. I'm a racing purist but I also love shooters and this really does combine them beautifully.

Honestly, if you're on the fence I would say go for it. I'm enjoying it as much as I did overwatch when that arrived.
  • Flying_Pig 5 Jun 2018 14:01:37 15,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ModoX wrote:
    Now the embargo is up I can safely report that this game is incredible. Beta underwhelmed me but the final version clicks into place much better. I'm a racing purist but I also love shooters and this really does combine them beautifully.

Honestly, if you're on the fence I would say go for it. I'm enjoying it as much as I did overwatch when that arrived.
    That's good to hear, but I was so underwhelmed by the beta, I'll pass for now... Maybe I'll grab it when it hits a tenner, but it's likely that something else new and shiny will have come along by then.. :)
  • ModoX 5 Jun 2018 18:35:01 3,330 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can understand that - being multiplayer centric it's one I'd recommend getting in on asap, but at least with this there's less of a concern about player counts. It fills up the matches with AI (and replaces them with humans when they become available) and it's all very seamlessly done, so no long wait times. No lag issues that I've seen so far either.
  • Globalmeltdown 5 Jun 2018 18:45:49 666 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really enjoying this, fast action and music good too.
  • Deleted user 5 June 2018 18:51:38
    Wow I've totally let this pass me by. Looks great. Like burnout mashed with Motorstorm.
  • ModoX 5 Jun 2018 18:52:43 3,330 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the music is excellent, glad someone else is enjoying it too.
  • Frogofdoom 5 Jun 2018 19:06:27 10,126 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What does it add gameplay wise that the beta didn't have then? Are there other modes because if it is just more tracks and vehicles I can see it getting boring really quickly.
  • Globalmeltdown 5 Jun 2018 19:16:17 666 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didnít play the beta but Iím just having lots of fun in the single player campaign at the moment. There are lots of challenges for each event, some easy, some not so easy. Unlocking the challenges gives you stars which in turn go to unlock other events, only played the first two event sets and so far there are, I think, 4 different modes. It really gets the heart pounding, turn the tv up and enjoy 😀
  • ModoX 5 Jun 2018 19:45:33 3,330 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    What does it add gameplay wise that the beta didn't have then? Are there other modes because if it is just more tracks and vehicles I can see it getting boring really quickly.
    If I remember rightly all the modes (Switch, Lockdown, Countdown, Overdrive) were in the beta, I think. The single player is just structured multiplayer matches with bots, but as meltdown says it's quite engaging.

For me it feels further refined from the beta. Similar to Titanfall which had a rough beta it's difficult to put your finger on it, but it feels much better. Also having the progression there to mean something, the single player to onboard you a bit, and more time to have it feel less like mayhem over which you have no control - all that puts it way above the beta experience.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.