Xbox here
  • Globalmeltdown 5 Jun 2018 20:14:58 652 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xbox
  • Frogofdoom 5 Jun 2018 20:33:58 9,288 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks guys, I might have a look at some reviews and see if they can swing my apathy towards the demo. A decent SP game appeals as online racing is so hit and miss.
  • ModoX 5 Jun 2018 20:39:15 3,313 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a good few hours of SP to go at. It depends what your concerns are with online racing though - I'm a massive racing game guy and rarely go online with them because no one can behave, but here the whole point is to not behave, so it's all good.
  • Psiloc 6 Jun 2018 00:24:48 4,717 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just read through the thread. My initial impressions were all the same complaints you guys had been saying about the beta; too chaotic, random, wish it was just another Motorstorm etc.

However having put a few hours in it has started to click. I couldn’t tell you what’s changed specifically but I definitely feel like I’m actually in control now and it’s great, exhilarating fun. Easy to recommend if you liked Motorstorm.

In fact it kind of accidentally addresses the Achilles heel of Motorstorm; the rubber banding is now actually welcome
  • xero521 6 Jun 2018 00:48:37 456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved all the motorstorm games apart from apocalypse and really enjoyed split/second too,after reading the review I’ve gone and bought it can’t wait to get stuck into it.
  • Deleted user 6 June 2018 06:19:39
    Think I'm going to grab this tomorrow once I'm back from not so sunny Portugal. Will be for ps4 though as my daughter has taken over the Xbox.
  • Wavey 6 Jun 2018 07:33:01 811 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was looking into this but I thought it might have been a £20-£30 release, not full price. Might have to wait for a sale.
  • Derblington 6 Jun 2018 09:58:10 30,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really like the look of this but having watched a few videos I don't really get the racing aspect. I don't think I'll like it but I keep wanting to buy it.
  • ModoX 6 Jun 2018 10:40:02 3,313 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Derblington what do you mean? I'll try not to just repeat the same rubbish from every preview and review, but it's not 'racing' as such - you're not meant to be in first position. Every mode is team based and there's an objective:

Overdrive - Probably the 'standard' mode if there is one, you get points for boosting and rushing (rush = ultimate), first to e.g. 10,000 points wins the round, match is best of 3 or 5.

Countdown - Closest to traditional racing, each team starts with e.g. 20 seconds on the clock, which counts down, and you add time by driving within gates. First team to hit 0s on the clock loses the round, again match is best of 3 or 5.

Switch - Very fun mode, everyone starts in a bike, when you die you go into a light vehicle, then into a medium vehicle, then into a heavy vehicle (you can die and respawn as much as you want from there). First team with all of their members in heavy vehicles loses the round.

Lockdown - A control zone moves along the path of the track, you take control of it by having at least one car, and at least one car more than the opposition team, within the zone. That triggers a 5 second countdown, if you hit zero without losing control, you get a point and a new zone starts.

The depth comes from a few things, but primarily the vehicles - there's 8 different ones and they each have a specific rush (e.g. Blade, one of the bikes, leaves behind a Tron-like wall while rushing, and any vehicle hitting it is wrecked, even the heaviest of vehicles, or Enforcer blinds all opponents caught behind him), a special ability (e.g. Charger locks on to other vehicles in the air to crush them from above, Dynamo leaves behind boost drops for teammates), and a specific way of getting rush charge directly (e.g. Vortex gets it from barrel rolls, Outlaw gets it from performing tricks). This all leads to a lot of potential teamwork - ranked mode will be interesting when it comes out.

So... a nice succinct description for you there :)
  • Phattso 6 Jun 2018 10:53:09 23,574 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, but does it have the Nürburgring laser mapped for ultimate accuracy? Does it have Ferraris?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 6 Jun 2018 10:56:19 15,285 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would also like to know that.
  • ModoX 6 Jun 2018 11:42:24 3,313 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, they actually went back in time and laser mapped the old course, and coded an AI copy of Fangio for you to race against.
  • Psiloc 6 Jun 2018 17:29:09 4,717 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is really fucking good
  • ModoX 6 Jun 2018 17:32:15 3,313 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Psiloc haha, welcome to the fold :D Are you identifying favourite vehicles for each mode yet?
  • StrayBezza 6 Jun 2018 17:33:22 1,105 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How populated is the online play?
  • Psiloc 6 Jun 2018 17:44:34 4,717 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ModoX Yes. Charger is my go-to for now though.

I really must encourage people who were put off to begin with to put an hour or two in. I’ve gone from “what a load of random nonsense” to “have this double barrel roll aerial takedown you bastard”
  • shamblemonkee 6 Jun 2018 17:46:39 17,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    no problems finding games yet.

I'm enjoying this more than i expected after beta. it's pretty casual but there is depth there
  • shamblemonkee 6 Jun 2018 17:47:01 17,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    @ModoX Yes. Charger is my go-to for now though.

I really must encourage people who were put off to begin with to put an hour or two in. I’ve gone from “what a load of random nonsense” to “have this double barrel roll aerial takedown you bastard”
    exactly my sentiment

dit ,although vortex or enforcers you heathens!

Edited by shamblemonkee at 17:47:27 06-06-2018
  • ModoX 6 Jun 2018 17:47:22 3,313 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @StrayBezza Very populated right now, though it fills with AI and quickly switches them out for humans as they pop up, you never wait for matchmaking.

@Psiloc nice, I've recently started to enjoy Charger too, as soon as I realised how potent that in-air lock on is. It really drags you onto an opponent.
  • ModoX 6 Jun 2018 17:53:55 3,313 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vehicle wise I tend to go for Vortex on Countdown - fast and nimble, and the rush can really mess up anyone behind you. Dynamo is a favourite for Overdrive since he is based on boosting. Lockdown I usually go Enforcer to bash the shit out of everyone and blind people. My general Switch route is Outlaw (slams!), Charger, Interceptor, then Enforcer.
  • shamblemonkee 6 Jun 2018 18:51:37 17,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was quite proud of this chain...

https://xboxclips.com/shamblemonkeee/df4f3578-35b6-42ed-b150-eba918860516
  • ModoX 6 Jun 2018 19:17:51 3,313 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very nice. I have a tendency to drive about 3mm away from opponents without doing them any harm while in rush mode. I'm useless!
  • waggy79 6 Jun 2018 19:34:22 1,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The better half has bought me this on ps4 for fathers day. Wasnt mad about the beta but looking forward to seeing what's changed and the devs seem commited to listening to feedback.

Have to support arcade racers.
  • Psiloc 7 Jun 2018 09:29:50 4,717 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone with a Pro should strongly consider the 60FPS mode. It drops to 1080p but honestly I can’t tell the difference at speed. I’m normally a resolution whore when given the choice, but not in this case
  • shamblemonkee 7 Jun 2018 12:09:15 17,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok, points of view: most OP vehicle?

I want to say heavy vehicles like the enforcer and titan have too few downsides being able to swat aside pretty much anyone else and they aren't that much slower?
  • OllyJ 7 Jun 2018 14:38:02 4,125 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Vortex for Overdrive as SPIRAL helps me fill the Rush tank by doing barrel rolls. Plus WAKE is a great Rush ultimate if you can get to the front, in a tight area and activate it, plenty of takedowns.

Tip for Overdrive, always make sure you try and keep an eye on the round timer, no point wasting Rush with 10 seconds to go if your team is either well ahead or well behind, save it for the next round to get off to a good start, especially if you deploy it when your combo meter is at 5 stars.

It's all about chaining actions together, so the skill and depth for me comes from trying to link near misses, airtime, rolls, near ally/enemy...that's fun.

My other favourite is TITAN you don't expect it, but this is a beast in Countdown, if you have a mate push forward on a bike and you concentrate on just hitting gates and taking the obvious line, you really become a nuisance, especially when you activate BLOCKADE and slow the opposition down when they are aiming for the gates, it's a killer tactic.

Also, on that, as far as I know there's no benefit from driving through your teams blockades, all it does is remove them, so you may as well let the opposition smash into them, slowing them down and leaving them open for an assist.

Edited by OllyJ at 14:39:30 07-06-2018
  • shamblemonkee 7 Jun 2018 15:04:44 17,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like how you can nullify the boost drops from dynamo too.

Lots of little hidden depth such as tap boost near landing to make more powerful slam to crush someone.

Love the red rock canyon halfpipe style map

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.