State of Decay 2 Page 2

• Frogofdoom 17 May 2018 13:59:04 10,111 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pretty sure that only takes him 10 mins.
  • JamboWayOh 17 May 2018 14:11:10 9,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the Ultrasoundwave review.

"After 20 minutes I'm confident that this game is amazing and the best thing I've played all year!"
    Surely you mean after getting to the title screen?
  • Ultrasoundwave 17 May 2018 14:25:42 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the Ultrasoundwave review.

"After 20 minutes I'm confident that this game is amazing and the best thing I've played all year!"
    Surely you mean after getting to the title screen?
    The first game was almost the definition of a 7/10 - lots of character and atmosphere but lacking technical prowess and the gameplay was just fine.

The only game on my “amazing best thing I’ve played all year!!?” list is God of War......until RDR2 and Spider-Man show up.
  • Dirtbox 17 May 2018 23:51:22 90,863 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Have they eradicated the shitting camera auto center thing? It made the first one practically unplayable for me.
  • Ultrasoundwave 18 May 2018 07:45:05 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only made it through half of the EG review but Game Informer are implying that it’s the CO-OP that’s the broken, buggy mess....and the single player is just fine.

Any deluxe wankers able to confirm???
  • Barbel 18 May 2018 07:52:37 5 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Played for 3 hours in offline mode last night and only encountered one small bug(invisible gate at the base but sorted itself)

Edited by Barbel at 07:54:08 18-05-2018
  • Dombat 18 May 2018 08:00:15 1,399 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Only made it through half of the EG review but Game Informer are implying that it’s the CO-OP that’s the broken, buggy mess....and the single player is just fine.

I watched some Twitch streamers play it the other night. For the ones that played co-op it was a broken mess. Also, it seemed completely shallow for those joining the host's game as they had no real personal progression.

The streamers that played solo seemed to have a very different and more positive experience.
  • robthehermit 18 May 2018 08:37:14 6,831 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I've watched a good few hours of it on twitch (solo only) and apart from one or 2 very small glitches it's looked pretty solid.

Quite looking forward to having a stab at this next week.
  • Sharz 18 May 2018 09:28:02 1,858 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I forgot about game pass and it has auto renewed so I may as well give it a try.
    No real in interest in coop though if you don't both progress. They should have followed Dying light, as that is the perfect example of how to do this.

So single player is ok then?

Edited by Sharz at 09:29:24 18-05-2018
  • Ultrasoundwave 18 May 2018 13:14:18 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

I watched some Twitch streamers play it the other night. For the ones that played co-op it was a broken mess. Also, it seemed completely shallow for those joining the host's game as they had no real personal progression.

The streamers that played solo seemed to have a very different and more positive experience.

So basically :

Undead Labs wanted to make a direct sequel to SoD1. The game was shaping up really nicely, destined to become Microsoft’s first ‘MUST BUY’ exclusive in years, until about a year ago when a Microsoft suit showed up at their studio.

The suit invites himself into the morning meeting and asks the nearest woman for a coffee (turns out she runs the studio) before he speaks to the room - “you know what kids love these days....CO-OP. They love playing in their squads in Fortnite and Fortnite is an AMAZING game.....so let’s all agree to get some co-op in here shall we?”

“Thanks, sugar tits” he says as he receives his coffee, before connecting to a call on his Bluetooth headset and casually exiting the studio. Years later he dies from a crushing case of Boneitus.

The next 12 months are Undead Labs scrambling to squeeze co-op into their single-player game, preventing them from polishing the game into the classic it should have been.

/Scene

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 13:14:55 18-05-2018
  • Derblington 18 May 2018 13:20:10 31,146 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UDL have always said that teh goal of this franchise was to make it MP - they wanted to make an MMO, didn't they? But they started with an SP game to build the mechanics. Step 2 was MP, step 3 MMO.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 May 2018 13:29:31 31,857 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I thought the main idea behind the sequel was to introduce co-op as they had been unable to get it into the original.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 13:29:44 18-05-2018
  • JamboWayOh 18 May 2018 13:31:33 9,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Dombat wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

So basically :

Undead Labs wanted to make a direct sequel to SoD1. The game was shaping up really nicely, destined to become Microsoft’s first ‘MUST BUY’ exclusive in years, until about a year ago when a Microsoft suit showed up at their studio.

The suit invites himself into the morning meeting and asks the nearest woman for a coffee (turns out she runs the studio) before he speaks to the room - “you know what kids love these days....CO-OP. They love playing in their squads in Fortnite and Fortnite is an AMAZING game.....so let’s all agree to get some co-op in here shall we?”

“Thanks, sugar tits” he says as he receives his coffee, before connecting to a call on his Bluetooth headset and casually exiting the studio. Years later he dies from a crushing case of Boneitus.

The next 12 months are Undead Labs scrambling to squeeze co-op into their single-player game, preventing them from polishing the game into the classic it should have been.

/Scene
    A lot of devs seem to be able to make co-op work without it shitting the bed.
  • captbirdseye 18 May 2018 13:34:11 8,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They make jank but enjoyable jank. They've always said that they originally wanted to make MMO and now you can see why they haven't bothered.
  • SiroccoJetProp 18 May 2018 16:26:26 221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Spent about 6 hours with this today. Totally hooked and engrossed again. Love it.

Not had any bugs yet(fingers crossed)
  • DakeyrasUK 18 May 2018 16:50:38 1,994 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ha so i totally forgot i had a preorder if this that needed cancelling...
  • KRadiation 18 May 2018 21:18:59 1,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    have the done anything feature wise to improve the game then other than add co op?

the first one really suffered from this nagging feeling that everything you did was only temporary and there was no way to survive long term. so nothing mattered.
    Eventually your only option was to force the story along.

But then it's set in a world that's begging to be an open world survival that you could try to last longer and longer against bigger and badder odds.
  • robthehermit 19 May 2018 12:18:09 6,831 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fired up the original this morning to get my eye in before playing the 2nd next week. I lasted about 5 minutes, it was a horrible horrible experience. A lot uglier than I remember (especially having watched streams of the sequel) and the performance is terrible.
  • ZuluHero 19 May 2018 12:23:31 6,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I'm hoping it'll be a similar game to the 1st with a bit of a graphical update. Surprising how badly the first one has aged given how relatively recently it came out.
  • Baihu1983 19 May 2018 15:42:25 10,417 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Must have got a different game to EG
  • Darth_Flibble 20 May 2018 10:01:17 3,154 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I hope they do fix the game up as the 1st game is one game I always wanted to like on 360 but it was broken mess then and still is. Some said it will be "all will be fixed in the patch so STFU!!!" and never did. I have game pass for a bit, so will try it out but I doubt the devs can fix up the game is not like early beta.

As for Game informer podcast, they had more bugs in co-op, not 100% they said they had none in single player. In Co-op the game does desync with other people are seeing, like the example mentioned in the podcast where someone was driving on the road and the other 2 where going through trees
  • Ultrasoundwave 20 May 2018 11:24:58 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not a lot of impressions on here, it would seem the forum is devoid of Deluxe Wankers.....

Despite the middling reviews I’m genuinely looking forward to trying this on Tuesday - even if it’s only a (slightly) more polished version of the first game, I’ll be happy.
  • Frogofdoom 20 May 2018 11:46:32 10,111 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't see the point in paying when i get it on game pass a few days later.
  • Barbel 20 May 2018 13:21:44 5 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    This game is basically the breakdown DLC on steriods so if you enjoyed that you will love this. It doesn’t follow a scripted story just dynamic missions.

If you didn’t like the first game then you should ‘avoid’ I’m not seeing all the bugs the reviewer speaks of though.
  • M83J01P97 20 May 2018 18:42:46 7,570 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Dombat wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

So basically :

/Scene
    They pretty much said from day one that co-op was going to be a big part of their plans for a sequel as it was one of the most requested things in the original. So no, it wasn't forced upon them, they have just done a bad job of actually executing their plans it seems.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 May 2018 19:33:05 31,857 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is now available on Game Pass for "New Zealanders".
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 May 2018 23:24:14 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Done the first hour or two.

Yup its......State of Decay. The exact same game.....with slightly better graphics/performance.

I enjoyed the first game so I’m happy but don’t go into this expecting any gameplay revelations - if you enjoyed the first one you’ll be fine.
  • FWB 22 May 2018 00:00:38 55,101 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Is the base building the same? Allocated locations with allocated buildings/features?

Is it dead easy too?

Edited by FWB at 00:00:54 22-05-2018
  • Barbel 22 May 2018 07:37:56 5 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yes it’s the same but more in depth plus you can now apply mods (that you find in the world) to the facilities.

I’m on day 8 and haven’t got anyone killed but I play boring/safe it’s a bit harder than the vanilla state of decay but easier than the later breakdown levels. Apprentley the game gets harder the more you progress, I am seeing more hordes and specials since I first started playing to be fair.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.