Kingdom Hearts III

First Previous
  • Switch024 18 May 2018 15:31:46 3,391 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Preview on the front page. November down as a likely release date.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-18-kingdom-hearts-3

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 May 2018 15:35:22 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's been so long since we last had a "proper" Kingdom Hearts game, as opposed to a remake or handheld spinoff, that part of me just refuses to believe that this could ever come out. We went through the entire PS3/360 generation (which I think was the longest console generation since the whole thing started in the 1970s) without a new numbered instalment.

Still, what we've seen so far of KH3 does look delicious. I'd be very surprised if they hit a November release date, but would be delighted to be proved wrong.
  • Switch024 18 May 2018 16:03:58 3,391 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've not played any since the first one. Been thinking about picking up the remaster of 1 and 2. How long do they take to get through?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 May 2018 16:13:58 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Switch024 Depends on how completionist you want to be. I'd say you could do a "normal" playthrough of them in around 30-35 hours each. But you can more than double that if you want to get completionist and go for the secret endings.

Also, don't forget that the plot of 2 makes little sense unless you've also played Chain of Memories (which is included in the remaster). Add another 25-30 hours for that, though it doesn't really have the same kind of side-activities to get all completionist over.
  • Switch024 18 May 2018 16:37:37 3,391 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's a lot of gaming, with my track record I doubt I'd get through one before this comes out, too much new stuff to play. Might have to settle for a YouTube recap.
  • SiroccoJetProp 18 May 2018 17:20:57 280 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What is the idea behind these games? I've never played any. Im assuming they're just RPGS with a cast of Disney characters? Are they heavy on story?
  • Psiloc 18 May 2018 19:54:24 5,114 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For one I completely disagree with the mantra that you need to play Chain of Memories to understand KH2.

As far as Iím concerned with KH, the more spin offs you play the less it makes any fucking sense
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 May 2018 20:07:44 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Psiloc I'd agree with that for Dream Drop Distance, Birth by Sleep and all the rest. But unfortunately, Chain of Memories sits right between KH1 and KH2, introduces half of the KH2 cast and without it much of KH2, particularly those opening hours, won't make much sense.

My worry is that they're going to do something similar with KH3 and the other spinoff titles.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 May 2018 20:16:07 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @SiroccoJetProp Third-person action RPGs, which blend characters, styles and settings from Disney and Square-Enix properties (chiefly Final Fantasy).

The games are indeed story heavy. The basic format for the main series titles is that there is an overarching plot with an original cast (drawn in a style that's a hybrid of Disney and Final Fantasy). The main character picks up Donald and Goofy as "permanent" companions early in each game and you get access to a hub area.

Then you go visit a load of Disney worlds in the course of the main plot. In each Disney world, you play through a truncated version of the story of the property in question (titles they've used include The Little Mermaid, Hercules, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and - more unusually - Pirates of the Caribbean, but the full list is much longer). Along the way, you'll get a companion from that franchise (usually the main character) who you can use to replace either Donald or Goofy as required. The events of the overarching "main story" will be woven into each of the Disney worlds as you progress. There will also be cameos from major Final Fantasy characters - Cloud, Squall, Tifa and so on all show up and Sephiroth features as an optional super-boss in both main series games to date).

This all probably sounds incredibly weird. And on one level, it is. But the games are made with a hell of a lot of care and attention and, in a strange way, they work incredibly well. They've also got masses of side content, of the sort you'd expect from a major Final Fantasy title. The combat is essentially action-based, but the difficulty curve is steep (particularly in the first game) and mastering it takes a lot of practice.

The over-arching plot runs across titles and gets kinda mindfuck in places. It's certainly not what you'd expect in a game that features Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh. Unfortunately, they've layered on so many different components via the spin-off titles that keeping track of it is hard work.
  • ChiefGB 19 May 2018 00:03:05 11,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They have done a great job with the Disney properties in the core games, even using disneys voice actors (usually a very impressive sound a like for some of the more famous actors from the franchises), I've only played the core ones properly but I'm eager for this one (as is mrs chief, which is rare), could be mindblowing but I fear they've run the well a little dry for some of the classic properties and we are just running mainly though the Pixar films here which are a bit less iconic.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 May 2018 08:37:49 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB I'd say Toy Story is old enough and influential enough that it counts as iconic by now (and Monsters Inc is also on the borderline). Less sure about Wreck It Ralph.

KH2 featured Mulan, which I'd understood was a bit of a flop for Disney (though the in-game sequence was kinda cool) and they've used some odd stuff in the spin-offs.
  • ilmaestro 19 May 2018 08:48:10 32,929 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and Finding Nemo are all pretty iconic by my reckoning. They're of course not fifty years old, if that's your only criteria.
  • ChiefGB 19 May 2018 12:42:45 11,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No lol not exactly my criteria but toy story has always been overhyped for me, the first monsters inc was funny, finding nemo was charming but these Pixar films seem to be about plucking at heartstrings and are well written stories but I'm not sure they are as classically Disney as even some of the semi recent stuff like lion king, Aladdin etc. It's not about age, look I'm just saying that in my opinion some of the best material has possibly been used before the tech has got to where it is now and it's a shame that they have less to work with that appeals too me. I'll still play it (probably) and hopefully enjoy it,it looks fantastic.
  • ilmaestro 19 May 2018 14:14:47 32,929 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I'm just saying that in my opinion some of the best material has possibly been used before the tech has got to where it is now
    Yep, you're certainly not wrong there.
  • Phattso 19 May 2018 19:30:26 24,795 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Watching that EG video made me really interested in the game, but the notion of having to play through 200+ hours of PS2 era remasters with nonsensical stories to get here? Nah. Seems strangely limiting of their audience if newbies can't jump aboard here.
  • SiroccoJetProp 19 May 2018 23:34:02 280 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @SiroccoJetProp Third-person action RPGs, which blend characters, styles and settings from Disney and Square-Enix properties (chiefly Final Fantasy).

The games are indeed story heavy. The basic format for the main series titles is that there is an overarching plot with an original cast (drawn in a style that's a hybrid of Disney and Final Fantasy). The main character picks up Donald and Goofy as "permanent" companions early in each game and you get access to a hub area.

Then you go visit a load of Disney worlds in the course of the main plot. In each Disney world, you play through a truncated version of the story of the property in question (titles they've used include The Little Mermaid, Hercules, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and - more unusually - Pirates of the Caribbean, but the full list is much longer). Along the way, you'll get a companion from that franchise (usually the main character) who you can use to replace either Donald or Goofy as required. The events of the overarching "main story" will be woven into each of the Disney worlds as you progress. There will also be cameos from major Final Fantasy characters - Cloud, Squall, Tifa and so on all show up and Sephiroth features as an optional super-boss in both main series games to date).

This all probably sounds incredibly weird. And on one level, it is. But the games are made with a hell of a lot of care and attention and, in a strange way, they work incredibly well. They've also got masses of side content, of the sort you'd expect from a major Final Fantasy title. The combat is essentially action-based, but the difficulty curve is steep (particularly in the first game) and mastering it takes a lot of practice.

The over-arching plot runs across titles and gets kinda mindfuck in places. It's certainly not what you'd expect in a game that features Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh. Unfortunately, they've layered on so many different components via the spin-off titles that keeping track of it is hard work.
    Thanks for that. May give it a go.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 May 2018 23:36:43 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Phattso You can do KH, CoM and KH2 in around 100 hours. But that makes them sound like chores, which they're not (or at least, KH and KH2 aren't... CoM is a mixed bag). The first two numbered KH games are absolute classics and KH2 has a good claim to be the best game ever released on the PS2.

Skip the other entries and hope they don't turn out to be too central to the KH3 plot. Though Birth By Sleep isn't bad.
  • Phattso 19 May 2018 23:39:46 24,795 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't do 100 hours. I have a Destiny 2 and PoEII habit to feed. ;)
  • Phattso 19 May 2018 23:40:17 24,795 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    (if they'd released them all in a single-disc anthology I'd be all over it though, as it'd only be one of my ten rather than two or three ;-) )
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 May 2018 23:44:16 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They did.
  • Phattso 20 May 2018 00:16:31 24,795 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's a separate one called 2.8 that has a bunch more and some of the movies which - according to my brief research - would also be necessary. Two purchases. No way, Jose. :)
  • ilmaestro 20 May 2018 07:55:24 32,929 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    the notion of having to play through 200+ hours of PS2 era remasters with nonsensical stories to get here?
    Wikipedia.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 20 May 2018 08:39:36 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Phattso Ugh, yes, for some reason I'd misremembered and thought that Dream Drop Distance was in the "main" compilation rather than 2.8.
  • Switch024 23 Jan 2019 14:18:39 3,391 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is finally out on Friday. Anybody picking it up? With Resi 2 out the same day I probably won't get it until later in the year.

Apparently there's some VR experience going on PSN soon.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Jan 2019 15:02:25 6,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've got a pre-order on the US PSN (had some spare dollars on my account). Can't remember the unlock timing, but I'm expecting to see the pre-load icon go live any day now.

Really crowded couple of weeks for me on the releases front. Battlefleet Gothic 2 exits beta tomorrow, KH3 launches Friday and the PC version of Ace Combat 7 follows a week later.

KH3 is the biggest of those as far as I'm concerned, though.
  • Graxlar_v3 23 Jan 2019 17:02:56 7,253 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Goddammit, i keep getting tempted by this.
  • ChiefGB 23 Jan 2019 18:48:57 11,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reviews??
  • ChiefGB 23 Jan 2019 18:53:54 11,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a feeling itís ship has sailed, the others havenít aged all that well and letís be honest the story disappears up itís own arse by the end of the first one let alone all the nonsense since.
    Iím just not sure itís going to be able to get itself back on track. Iíd love to be wrong of course as I loved the games back in the day, maybe itís franchises arenít quite hitting the spot for me. It looks beautiful but weíve all grown up a bit since as has gaming. Expectations tempered (as ever with me)
  • Switch024 23 Jan 2019 18:54:40 3,391 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ChiefGB I misread the date it's out next Tuesday. Hopefully we'll get some reviews before the weekend.
  • ChiefGB 23 Jan 2019 19:04:23 11,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought it was out after resi, but just panicked maybe Iíd misplanned for it.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.