Kingdom Hearts III Page 2

• Frogofdoom 24 Jan 2019 15:56:23 12,369 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ign gave it an 8.7 fwiw.

I just don't get the series at all but I saw some people were after reviews.
  • Switch024 24 Jan 2019 16:05:25 3,364 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It looks like Square-Enix have been very selective with who they've supplied review codes to. Bit of an odd one.
  • ChiefGB 24 Jan 2019 16:06:59 10,287 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Igns reviewer is the biggest fanboy ever, however itís holding firm averaging at 88 on metacritic which is encouraging.
  • SiroccoJetProp 24 Jan 2019 17:32:02 261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Probably been asked before but should I play this considering I've not played any KH game before?
  • Switch024 24 Jan 2019 17:45:31 3,364 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The story is a bit of a convoluted mess at this point. I'm not sure any of us know what's going on. I'll have to watch a recap to get up to speed with it all.
  • captbirdseye 24 Jan 2019 19:48:33 9,057 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The voice acting in this is dreadful.
  • Humperfunk 24 Jan 2019 19:51:44 7,941 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SiroccoJetProp Haha people who have played the first two saying they have no idea what's going on as seems you need to have played all of the spin offs as well to make any sense of it.

I own them all on PS4 through those collections and still haven't played a single one. Must try this year.
  • Tuffty 24 Jan 2019 20:40:29 4,314 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I saw some footage from the first hour on the Giant Bomb stream and the voice acting was pretty jarring. It's the delivery and the fact that every sentence has this pregnant pause before the next line that just made it seem so awkward.

Still, no doubt fans would say that's always been the case and part of its charm.
  • Wavey 24 Jan 2019 20:45:04 836 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Tuffty Yep that is part of its charm :p
  • erniewhatbert 24 Jan 2019 21:40:14 2,985 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    The voice acting in this is dreadful.
    I can say that I've only seen one trailer for KHIII. I played through the first two with my then-gf because she was a huge Disney fan. The trailer for the new game reminded me how good the animation and acting for the main Disney characters were, in stark contrast to everyone else who are terrible. Very off-putting.
  • Farley2k 24 Jan 2019 21:46:38 157 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kingdom Hearts 3 - The First 2 Hours of Gameplay (Livestream!)
    *do I need to say possible spoilers?

• Psiloc 30 Jan 2019 10:26:29 5,012 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I thoroughly enjoyed the first world at least. I've got a feeling this game is going to be 90% cutscenes though.

The music is great so far too. I always had a problem with the old KH games where there only seemed to be a few incidental music tracks that were always repeated whether they fit the scene or not, but they've definitely worked on it for this game.

The game seems to flow a lot better than the old ones too, much faster pace to everything and with way fewer interruptions from loading screens. The modern method of transitioning directly from cutscenes to gameplay is implemented too which is only notable because it's so contrary to the old games

The dialogue is classic ropey KH, but again seems to be a slight improvement to me. Some of the acting is a bit iffy though
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Jan 2019 10:59:54 5,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Got to say, it felt bizarre to switch on the PS4 last night and see the message "Kingdom Hearts 3 is now playable" pop up. Always a strange feeling when something for so long assumed to be vapourware actually pops.

Takes me back to when Duke Nukem Forever came out. Or Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Gulp.

Won't actually get time to play it until the weekend, anyway.
  • atothewest 30 Jan 2019 15:10:00 974 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So lots of people are saying it, but just _how_ many cutscenes are we talking about here? Do you get to play the game or is it just constant movie triggers?
  • ChiefGB 30 Jan 2019 20:10:51 10,287 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like it needs a few patches anyway, what is it with Japanese devs and poor frame pacing?. Also itís a bit expensive atm, Iíd rather pick it up sub £40. I planned to play through all of them over the last 18 months. Finally completed the first this summer, played through a chunk of re chain of memories since. I watched a few of the 358/2 cutscenes and skipped to the second one just end of last week, so that was well planned, not. So in theory Iím still not in a hurry.
  • ChiefGB 30 Jan 2019 20:10:52 10,287 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like it needs a few patches anyway, what is it with Japanese devs and poor frame pacing?. Also itís a bit expensive atm, Iíd rather pick it up sub £40. I planned to play through all of them over the last 18 months. Finally completed the first this summer, played through a chunk of re chain of memories since. I watched a few of the 358/2 cutscenes and skipped to the second one just end of last week, so that was well planned, not. So in theory Iím still not in a hurry.
  • Psiloc 31 Jan 2019 09:23:12 5,012 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got my copy from thegamecollection.net for £35. Might have been a special pre-order price though.

I'm going to be completely honest I didn't realise the framerate was struggling that much (PS4 Pro). I knew it wasn't a locked 60 but I couldn't tell it was fluctuating to the extent shown in the DF video. I'm sure I'll see the improvement when I set the PS4 to 1080p later though.

Why the stable mode doesn't just drop it to 1080p anyway is anyone's guess.
  • Psiloc 31 Jan 2019 09:31:41 5,012 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    atothewest wrote:
    So lots of people are saying it, but just _how_ many cutscenes are we talking about here? Do you get to play the game or is it just constant movie triggers?
    Well I'm playing through the third world now (it's the second Disney themed world), and it's definitely no worse than KH 1&2 for frequency and length of cutscenes so far so my initial worry hasn't actually panned out yet.

On the ocntrary when a true gameplay portion is underway, there seems to be a lot more of it than the older games. I don't know whether that's actually true or whether it's a placebo affect of the areas being far less interrupted by scene transitions.

But in a nutshell if you're comparing it to the old games (and you're not a series newcomer) then you're probably not going to be put off by the number of cutscenes.
  • Scimarad 31 Jan 2019 12:18:18 9,560 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I loved every second of Olympus...right up until it introduced that shotlock bullshit. Hitting things with a Keyblade = heaps of fun; Awkwardly dragging a reticle around? Very much not.

Still, I love it so far! Olympus was ruddy massive. I feel like you could have lost all of the first Kindgom Hearts game in that one world.

Edited by Scimarad at 12:21:32 31-01-2019
  • Scimarad 31 Jan 2019 12:51:41 9,560 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I know I'm basically the only person in the world that likes the Gummi ship bits but I love the fact that not only are they back but now it's a big open world thing and the music sounds a bit like Gradius:)

Love this game!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 31 Jan 2019 13:22:10 32,146 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Quite enjoyed this up to a point yesterday.

Absolutely no idea what's going on, even after watching the included explainer videos.

It's a complete button masher, but very pretty and quite good fun.

I have no idea what Donald Duck is saying 99% of the time.

I decided to finish the Hercules bit before bed, only to be greeted by around 45 mins of cutscenes that then led straight into another fight with a boss that had around 15 health bars.

Just turned it off at that point. I better not have to do all that again.
  • ChiefGB 31 Jan 2019 13:47:36 10,287 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I have no idea what Donald Duck is saying 99% of the time.
    Welcome to Disney, when has it been any different 🤣🤣🤣 have to say I saw a bit of a vid last night and mickeys voice sounded a bit off. Iíve no doubt they are likely using the official Disney voice actor, but itís fair to say itís unlikely to be the original one and it kinda showed. Which is a shame as mickey as a symbol is massive in this franchise and they play on that in the past quite a bit.
  • Psiloc 31 Jan 2019 14:40:19 5,012 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes Are you referring to the stream of heartless in Twilight Town? You only have to take off a few health bars before they flee. Still annoying though.

(That's a very minor spoiler by the way. It's the second world and the "boss" was featured in the trailers)

And yeah everything to do with the reticule stuff is a bit shite. The platform jumping stuff just plain doesn't work as far as I can tell, or at the very least it's not intuitive.

I watched a story recap last night. I'm convinced that the biggest fuck up with the story is giving different people, and their different versions, the same fucking name. I mean who couldn't have foreseen that that MIGHT be a little hard to keep track of.

In broad strokes, this is my understanding:

Master Xehanort - the original one, the old bald guy. Wants to start a new keyblade war to "restore balance" (he thinks there is too much light and not enough darkness. This remains the goal of Organisation XIII throughout).
    Terra-Xehanort - Terra was basically tricked into becoming Master Xehanort's apprentice, and allowed Master Xehanort to be assimilated into his heart (Master X wanted to live longer). However neither Terra nor Xehanort remain in control of the body, who develops his own personality as...
    Apprentice Xehanort - a researcher (referred to as simply "Xehanort", FFS). He later splits into Heartless and Nobody versions of himself as a result of his research.
    Ansem - Terra-Xehanort's heartless, antagonist of KH1. Ansem is also the name of a completely unrelated character...
    Xemnas - Terra-Xehanort's Nobody, antagonist of KH2.

At some point, Ansem SoD travels back in time to speak with a young Master Xehanort and give him the idea to do all this, as well as (temporarily) the ability to travel around in time himself. This is why in some of the spin off games there is ANOTHER Xehanort running around (Young Xehanort). This is the same person as Master Xehanort.

The other Ansem is Ansem the Wise. A good guy who was Apprentice Xehanort's Master who led their research. As far as I'm aware it's never explained why Xehanort's heartless took his name. Ansem the wise and his pupils were researching hearts and shit but Ansem realised the danger of what they were doing and stopped the research, but his apprentices continued anyway without him knowing. The fallout of the experiment resulted in the splitting of the apprentices into heartless/nobodies - they went on to become Organisation XIII.

EDIT: As for why Xemnas and Ansem seem to be back, apparently they are time travelled versions of themselves before you defeated them in KH 1 & 2. Sigh.

Edited by Psiloc at 15:29:08 31-01-2019
  • StarchildHypocrethes 31 Jan 2019 14:50:51 32,146 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I see.
  • Psiloc 31 Jan 2019 14:53:11 5,012 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :)
  • elstoof 31 Jan 2019 14:55:52 22,703 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fucking hell what a shambles
  • Psiloc 31 Jan 2019 15:09:32 5,012 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep. And that's just one character.

A lingering question I've always had is why Ventus from Birth By Sleep is clearly Roxas. I've just looked into it and it's a load of shite, when Ventus dies, he turns into an energy ball, and a young Sora takes the energy and takes it into his heart. That's it. So when Sora becomes a heartless and his nobody is created, it takes the form of Ventus, because he's a part of Sora's heart or some shite.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Feb 2019 16:26:43 5,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Got started on this today. Feels pretty bloody odd to be playing one of the most notorious pieces of vapourware of the last decade, especially as it doesn't suck in the way that Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines did.

Quite enjoyed the opening Olympus section. Much bigger than the worlds from the first two games and nice not to have all the area transitions. Boss fights at the end of it were a bit irritating. The first one was fine, but not a fan of the second phase where you have the airborne sections.

That, of course, is followed by around an hour of mostly-cutscenes, interspersed with a short boss fight, a gummi ship section and a full-fledged boss fight. That desperately needed breaking up a bit, plus a manual save point somewhere.

Plot is nonsense, but it's all fun enough if you don't actually try to follow what's happening too closely and just go along for the ride. Soundtrack is excellent.
  • gamecat 3 Feb 2019 01:06:46 829 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes The 15 health bar dude runs away after about 1.5 down.
    Watched someone, who knew all the ins and out of the story, play the first 5 hours of this today, and still some bits kind of made no sense to them. To a newbie like myself, the pacing seems weird.. lets go find this guy, he's definately here! no wait lets make some food! no wait what I forgot how we get to that guy again but it's not important right now, so lets go somewhere else!
    Also, I'm not sure what the heck is going on with all the fairground ride gubbins,this seems entirely new.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Feb 2019 15:40:18 5,431 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm about 6 hours in now and am enjoying this much more than I was after 2 hours. Once you get the big post-Olympus plot-dump over with, things improve dramatically. Enjoyed the Twilight Town stuff, spent some time doing optional content on the first two worlds and have now pushed on to the Toy Box.

Toy Box is amazing. They've captured the look and feel of the Toy Story movies perfectly. This game has taken a long time to develop and in some places its PS2-era roots show through, but you get to the Toy Box and you realise the whole thing is an absolute labour of love.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.