Kingdom Hearts III Page 3

Next Last
  • ChiefGB 4 Feb 2019 01:58:39 10,083 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iím digging through the second, not played it since release. Itís so much better than the first which hasnít aged well at all.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Feb 2019 09:04:40 5,002 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChiefGB Even at the time, the first game had a lot of rough edges. The controls (camera in particular) were frustrating, there were some bizarre difficulty spikes even quite early in the game, the magic system wasn't well developed and a couple of the worlds (Deep Jungle in particular) were rough around the edges. I think they may have improved the camera for the PS3/4 remasters, but the other flaws remained.

The second game was a huge advance and just felt a lot nicer to play. In fact, the second game would be my personal pick for "best game on the PS2".

Very much enjoying the third game, now I'm past the early plotdump cutscenes. The Toy Story world is absolutely gobsmacking. They've very much built on the formula of the second game for this one. At first, I was worried the combat felt a bit stiff and lacked a sense of flow, but unlocking a few combo-extenders and finishing moves through early level-ups has improved things no end.
  • atothewest 4 Feb 2019 09:17:52 934 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah also went through the opening hours last night. Olympus was very enjoyable but wow there's a huge wad of cutscenes to get through between the end of that and the next save point. 70 minutes between starting the Olympus bosses and the next opportunity to save the game! Heard that's one of the worst cases of that though. To play, it's great fun and visually fantastic.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Feb 2019 09:25:22 32,043 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm enjoying this without really knowing why. It's just quite good fun to play. Finished the Tangled world yesterday.

It's just a shame it all grinds to halt every time some anime gut in a dressing gown appears and talks nonsense at me for half an hour. The individual Disney worlds and stories are brilliantly done, like little Disney movies.
  • Psiloc 4 Feb 2019 10:01:09 4,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ha, yeah, there is a massive difference in the quality of a Disney cutscene and a SE cutscene.

I think they wrote themselves into a corner when they decided the organisation don't have any emotions. What would an enemy with no feelings do in this moment? Well I guess he would stand still and talk about his plan in a monotone voice
  • atothewest 4 Feb 2019 22:19:27 934 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Noticed that you can't suspend and resume this game, at least on Xbox. If you put the console to sleep it always starts from scratch and you have to load your last save. What a load of crap.
  • grassyknoll 5 Feb 2019 15:43:44 685 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Once you start to link / cancel into the different systems: Flowmotion, airstepping and magic, this game basically becomes Devil May Cry, it's absolutely spectacular. I wish you could turn off Attraction Flow (or try were rare or high frequency on easy). Just seems a waste of an incredible combat system.

Edited by grassyknoll at 15:44:11 05-02-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Feb 2019 15:55:06 5,002 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @grassyknoll Yeah, the more of the combat system unlocks, the better it gets. KH2 was basically the same. Early on, combat feels stiff and awkward because you have a small toolset, limited combo length, few movement options and so on. The further you get into the game, the more things open up and the better the feel of the combat gets.

For what it's worth, I still think that of Square-Enix's many, many attempts to replicate the type of acrobatic, aerial combat seen in Advent Children in a game, KH2 came the closest to success. Not far enough into KH3 to see if it's managed to repeat that feat.
  • grassyknoll 5 Feb 2019 18:06:12 685 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The game kind of combines action combat and turn base combat better than any game I can think of. It looks so cinematic, but you're in control of everything. I've become so impressed (I personally had no expectations).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2019 15:45:18 5,002 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished the Tangled world. That was ok, but not as good as the first two Disney themed worlds. Felt a bit too much like a long trek through fairly boring forest, before a bunch of cutscenes in a town at the end. Decent boss fight, though. I'm liking the major bosses in this - they feel like big events and take quite a long time to die, with plenty of different phases to keep things interesting.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Feb 2019 11:10:45 5,002 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played a bit more over the weekend. The quality of the Disney worlds in this is really, really uneven. The Hercules, Toy Story and Monsters Inc worlds are really good - clever riffs on the worlds set up by the franchises in question. The Tangled and (to an even greater extent) Frozen worlds are really pants - basically just bare-minimum summaries of the plots of the movies in question, with Sora et al barely seeming to be connected to what's going on.

Guess that's driven by decisions from the Disney mothership, not wanting the shiny, lucrative current franchises played around with too much. Not the first time the less-loved franchises have resulted in the better worlds in a Kingdom Hearts game.
  • Psiloc 18 Feb 2019 11:29:19 4,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    See I thought the Toy Story and Monsters Inc. worlds were quite weak and the Tangled world pretty good.

I thought they were all of a decent enough standard though apart from Frozen, which was a bit poor.

Thought the Caribbean world was fantastic.

I've finished the story now incidentally and the reviews are right - the ending is only OK. Especially after so much build up. All of the plot threads get "resolved" within the space of about 30 minutes and it's not particularly satisfying.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Feb 2019 11:32:47 5,002 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Psiloc You're way ahead of me, then. I'm near the end of the Frozen world, I think, but no further.

I only seem to play console games at the weekend now - on weeknights, I'm more likely just to slump at the PC. Probably ought to make an exception for KH3, or else getting through it will take me forever.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.