Fallout 76 Page 16

• Deleted user 25 November 2018 11:00:25
    Nothing. Just a double post. :innocent_face:
  • rockavitch 25 Nov 2018 14:31:24 1,078 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm in the mood for some Fallout, but not this, replayong Fallout 4 instead. Wanted to go for 3 but I have a feeling this cock up might cause a 3 or NV remaster.
  • DrStrangelove 25 Nov 2018 15:01:33 13,350 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rockavitch wrote:
    I'm in the mood for some Fallout, but not this, replayong Fallout 4 instead. Wanted to go for 3 but I have a feeling this cock up might cause a 3 or NV remaster.
    I've repeatedly tried to get into Fallout 3, but I guess I was too late to the party. It's unmistakably an Oblivion-era game and the gameplay hasn't aged well. Fallout 4 at least has acceptable gunplay.
  • Darth_Flibble 25 Nov 2018 15:46:52 3,216 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    With fallout 3 and NV its better to use VATS with the bloody mess perk as trying to play as FPS is bad way to shoot enemies. I would rather play 3 or New vegas for the quests than fallout 4's half arsed quests
  • the_milkybar_kid 25 Nov 2018 17:20:38 7,745 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Makes sense, also started it this weekend and the melee's fucking awful. Next to F4 which has genuine weight to the control.

Anyone know why the mods aren't working through nexus? Downloaded and installed a fair few mods and an enb for F3 but none of them have loaded. Had the same problem with F4 before that but tried loading the game through a fose _loader.exe and it worked. The same for F3 just loads into a black screen.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2018 17:25:09
    They can struggle if they're under Program Files because of admin rights or if in the wrong order. It's better if your directory is under C:\Games or something and you add one patch at a time.
  • neems 25 Nov 2018 17:26:38 4,204 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid

Have you checked all the dependencies? A lot of mods need other mods to run (script extenders and the like).

Are you using a mod manager? Are there any instructions that need to be added to any ini files?
  • the_milkybar_kid 25 Nov 2018 20:58:04 7,745 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've got them installed (with the game onto a secondary hard drive but I think they might be in a Promgram files folder still, will have a move around.

I'm using the Nexus mod manager which seems to make it an easier process but I haven't done much fiddling, just installing through that.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Nov 2018 10:10:47 17,189 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm pretty sure we're in some kind of Brewsters Millions type scenario now.

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Nov 2018 10:25:11 4,679 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm just staggered anybody would pay for the $200 edition of this, when the writing has been on the wall for the game for months now. Ok, it possibly wasn't clear just how bad it was going to be until a few weeks before launch (though mediocrity always looked like the best-case), but that was plenty of time to cancel pre-orders.
  • askew 29 Nov 2018 10:44:32 18,021 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dat novelty tat tho
  • the_milkybar_kid 29 Nov 2018 10:53:24 7,745 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah they're really throwing petrol on the fire eh? It's pretty funny from the outside looking in. On the front page there's a tweet saying 500 atoms can't even buy you the in-game equivalent of a canvas bag.

I'm sure this isn't real, but is what apparently kicked this off:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtGItMNXoAEgitk.jpg

So glad I'm out of the collectors edition racket.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 10:54:45 29-11-2018
  • Carlo 29 Nov 2018 10:57:25 20,383 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Dat novelty tat tho
    Giving you a sense of accomplishment...
  • markytonline83 29 Nov 2018 12:22:46 882 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So playing this the best I can, trying to see if there is any of the fallout magic I usually love hidden deep within. But why oh fucking why, do I still not access to any decent weapons or ammo to fire? Getting tedious now having to smash robots up with golf clubs
  • the_milkybar_kid 29 Nov 2018 12:47:02 7,745 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The best description of this is that it's similar to when your friends go on holiday and you get either a steady stream of information about what a good time they're having. Meanwhile you're watching Loose Women and drinking lukewarm tea. You come across audio logs about exciting adventures other people have had while you'll never experience anything half as good.
  • Werepossum 29 Nov 2018 13:41:54 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Canít wait for Bethesdaís rumored Game of Thrones. Sure, a plague killed everyone in the known world, but you can go into their homes, read their diaries, and finish all the trivial tasks they didnít get around to doing in life, all while paying real money to play dress-up with your friends.

If thatís not a great game, Bethesda doesnít know what is.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Nov 2018 14:09:01 4,679 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Yeah they're really throwing petrol on the fire eh? It's pretty funny from the outside looking in. On the front page there's a tweet saying 500 atoms can't even buy you the in-game equivalent of a canvas bag.

I'm sure this isn't real, but is what apparently kicked this off:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtGItMNXoAEgitk.jpg

So glad I'm out of the collectors edition racket.
    The support quote is real, but was apparently an unauthorised statement by a third party support contractor. So basically, the unvarnished truth, I suspect.

Edit: Pretty sure that in the UK, Bethesda might be about to come in for some Trade Description Act hurt.

Edited by Rogueywon at 14:09:36 29-11-2018
  • challenge_hanukkah 29 Nov 2018 14:13:46 8,847 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm pirating their next game and not even playing it out of spite.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 14:14:11 29-11-2018
  • ChiefGB 29 Nov 2018 17:05:53 9,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do it all twice 🤣🤣 or better yet 76 times.
  • Retroid Moderator 29 Nov 2018 18:56:56 45,463 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • StarchildHypocrethes 29 Nov 2018 20:33:51 31,950 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I generally couldn't give two shits about the whole fuss over Fallout 76. However, that 500 atom story is amazingly funny. I've come out with a whole new level of respect for Bethesda's corporate go-fuck-yourselfness. Impressive stuff.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2018 12:08:32
    I gave this another go yesterday. I've forgotten which key to press to move my base which was annoying and most of my ranged weapons are still less effective than hitting something with a piece of wood, but I loved it.

Only joking, it's still pretty crap. A higher level player started trying to shoot me so I walked off. I came across a lower level player and we ignored each other as we used various crafting stations. Then a warning came up that a player called something like "DeathToAll" was now wanted.

I came across a crafting bench I could take over but I had to pay some caps to do it. I tried to silence that part of my brain that was questioning why I was paying caps for something I'd found but once you have a thought like that it's hard to let go. I'm one of the first out of the vault but caps are currency and everyone knows that apparently. I find something I want to take and I have to mysteriously pay caps to something or someone to do it. This creates a PVP event where people can fight me for it and the know some random person wants to use a crafting station. Luckily nobody turned up because the map is empty but then I had to defend against robots for some reason. I think I managed to kill the last robot and the servers crashed so I have no idea if my workbench place will still be there.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Nov 2018 12:53:27 4,679 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @JanetSnakehole It's little stories like that which really convey the magic of video games.
  • neems 30 Nov 2018 13:03:34 4,204 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tbh the idea of using a resource that can easily be found just lying around as currency always seemed a bit weird anyway. I'm fairly certain that's not how money works.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Nov 2018 13:07:17 18,925 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well what else are you going to use after emerging from a vault into a nuclear wasteland? Your old currency? Pffft.

I can't believe anyone could seriously suggest that Bethesda didn't entirely think this through.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Nov 2018 14:09:25 6,412 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Well what else are you going to use after emerging from a vault into a nuclear wasteland? Your old currency? Pffft.

I can't believe anyone could seriously suggest that Bethesda didn't entirely think this through.
    Yep. I thought about this for what... 7-13 seconds, ok 14 at a stretch, and would propose a barter system where each item has an inherent value that you can trade for other items or services. The values are not known to the player the game will simply grey out items/services you can't afford. While this may sound like a pain in-game (how do you know how much tat do you need to gather?) that's roughly how it would turn out IRL. Maybe add some coercion type (talk/fight/do favours) options to unlock actions/goodies if you don't have enough stuff to trade.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 14:12:28 30-11-2018
  • Deleted user 30 November 2018 15:35:38
    I was OK with caps as currency. They suffered from the same problem as something like gold coins in RPGs. 1 buys you a spoon, 15 buys you a dagger, a fine weapon costs 60,000...wait, I can carry 60,000 gold coins?

In the Fallout world could imagine two neighbouring settlements letting people pay with caps for some food or a room, then over many years it spreads to other settlements and becomes a form of currency. But if you're just out of a vault and there are no human NPCs it makes less sense. Basically I'm moaning at the Fallout 76 fans who will take to the internet and defend the lack of human NPCs but are fine with caps as currency, and specifically me paying caps to take over a workbench. I wouldn't do it directly to them though as they hunt in small packs and will take down any critics with harsh words.

Anyway, I had another go on it at lunchtime and was enjoying it slightly more. It feels like you're playing an early demo of something so I'd only pay about 20 caps for it.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Nov 2018 15:40:23 10,297 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @JanetSnakehole It's little stories like that which really convey the magic of video games.
    The Fallout 76 subreddit would say that was game of the year emergent gameplay right there.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Nov 2018 15:46:53 6,412 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh, I forgot about non-human only NPC's. Makes the inclusion of currency even more stupid, true that.
  • crashVoodoo 30 Nov 2018 15:48:08 6,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That comment that they couldn't make the bags cheap enough is hilarious. The whole edition was 200, so what cost were the bags that made them to expensive?

Also, the 'sorry' payment of 500 caps is a joke. It's literally wooden dollars and costs them nothing for the in game tat

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.