Following E3 2018 Page 37

• DakeyrasUK 12 Jun 2018 19:58:27 1,840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gamespots coverage has cyberpunk coming up!

Hopefully some more info to be revealed.

https://youtu.be/arY6lepNdzU
  • the_milkybar_kid 12 Jun 2018 20:21:06 7,305 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK really enjoyed what he had to say. I've never taken to the steampunk style, but if it's one thing they're good at, it's world building and making interesting quests. I guess that's 2 things...

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 20:27:19 12-06-2018
  • neilka 12 Jun 2018 20:25:23 21,701 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's first person, I think that's the first time that's been mentioned.
  • minky-kong 12 Jun 2018 20:32:29 13,808 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deus Ex 2077
  • minky-kong 12 Jun 2018 20:38:51 13,808 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So to sum up each of the main three players shows in trite one liners:

Microsoft: Look at all these games (and don't mention that most of them will be available on the other console as well)!

Sony: Look at all these games (and don't mention that these clearly won't release until the PS5 is out)!

Nintendo: Look at Wii Fit Trainers slightly different face (and don't mention any other games at all)!
  • Frogofdoom 12 Jun 2018 20:39:25 9,243 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Eek hope there isn't much melee in it then as first person melee combat is a bit shit compared to 3rd person.
  • oxman2k 12 Jun 2018 21:07:50 42 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    a crap e3 as expected roll on the next gen
  • richarddavies 12 Jun 2018 21:09:39 6,284 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the main takeaway from E3, and I think we can all agree on this. Is that Night trap is coming out on the switch on the 6th July.
  • neilka 12 Jun 2018 21:15:27 21,701 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oxman2k wrote:
    What are your views on Karate Kid?
  • minky-kong 12 Jun 2018 21:40:57 13,808 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    oxman2k wrote:
    What are your views on Karate Kid?
    His comment history is an abundance of positivity and joie de vivre, so I'm sure he has many nice things to say about it.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Jun 2018 21:55:44 7,249 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I sure could go either way right about now.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jun 2018 21:57:56 9,066 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Did they show anything Labo related?
    Nope, not a single comment about any of it.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jun 2018 22:19:12 9,066 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, igns preview of the behind doors gameplay of cyberpunk sounds fantastic. I don't really understand why they do this though. They will still write the same kind of previews anyway, and we'd still likely read them. Why no screens or vids? Unless it's buggy and they aren't allowed to mention this stuff.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2018 23:07:37 3,867 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm... so... a few quick thoughts.

Not the best E3 ever, but for what it's worth, I think MS pulled off the best event. They benefited from low expectations. They're the scrappy underdogs these days, after several years of thoroughly-deserved scorn for the XB1. But they focussed hard on games, let third parties get an appropriate share of the limelight and gave just enough hints about next-gen. They needed to "win" this E3 just to stay in the game. They did.

Sony's presentation was long on style but relatively short on content. TLoU2 and Death Stranding look kinda self-indulgent. They didn't have a huge amount new to show. Sony's From Software feature, unlike MS's, was at least exclusive, but it was hardly what anybody was wanting. A bit smug this year.

Nintendo's was a non-event. Very little new and nothing of what was new was particularly interesting. Admittedly, Nintendo historically play the E3 game less than the other platform developers, but even by their standards, this was a poor outing.

Of the publisher shows... EA were utter shite, Bethesda have Doom and little else of interest, Square-Enix comprehensively underwhelmed and SEGA were surprisingly not-bad. Valkyria Chronicles 4 coming to PC is very welcome indeed.

And Valve's move into the Chinese market is ominous, but makes me suspect that their "anything not illegal or trolling is allowed" policy announced last week for the rest of the world was an abso-fucking-lutely necessary step to reassure users that they weren't about to throw the rest of the world under the state-censorship bandwagon to appease totalitarian communists.

Edit: Also, Cyberpunk wins.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:07:51 12-06-2018
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Jun 2018 23:09:35 3,422 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Quick thoughts?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2018 23:14:03 3,867 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z Yep, couple of sentences per platform holder/publisher.

This isn't twitter (thank god).
  • XtraCheese 12 Jun 2018 23:22:42 72 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Hmm... so... a few quick thoughts.

Not the best E3 ever, but for what it's worth, I think MS pulled off the best event. They benefited from low expectations. They're the scrappy underdogs these days, after several years of thoroughly-deserved scorn for the XB1. But they focussed hard on games, let third parties get an appropriate share of the limelight and gave just enough hints about next-gen. They needed to "win" this E3 just to stay in the game. They did.

Sony's presentation was long on style but relatively short on content. TLoU2 and Death Stranding look kinda self-indulgent. They didn't have a huge amount new to show. Sony's From Software feature, unlike MS's, was at least exclusive, but it was hardly what anybody was wanting. A bit smug this year.

Nintendo's was a non-event. Very little new and nothing of what was new was particularly interesting. Admittedly, Nintendo historically play the E3 game less than the other platform developers, but even by their standards, this was a poor outing.

Of the publisher shows... EA were utter shite, Bethesda have Doom and little else of interest, Square-Enix comprehensively underwhelmed and SEGA were surprisingly not-bad. Valkyria Chronicles 4 coming to PC is very welcome indeed.

And Valve's move into the Chinese market is ominous, but makes me suspect that their "anything not illegal or trolling is allowed" policy announced last week for the rest of the world was an abso-fucking-lutely necessary step to
    reassure users that they weren't about to throw the rest of the world under the state-censorship bandwagon to appease totalitarian communists.

Edit: Also, Cyberpunk wins.
    Newsflash. You don’t ‘win’ E3 by showing mostly third party content. The way the shows were put together stylistically was neither here nor there. It’s about the quality proposition of the games going forward.

What did Microsoft put forward that has any sort of competitive edge over Sony this year? If there’s something I’ve missed please share with the thread!

From both Sony and Microsoft’s showcases this year there’s just no competition, and that’s coming from someone who’s far from a Sony fanboy.
  • Your-Mother 12 Jun 2018 23:24:20 1,854 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    XtraCheese wrote:
    and that’s coming from someone who’s far from a Sony fanboy.
    Get to fuck you absolute blim.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2018 23:27:20 3,867 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @XtraCheese I know I shouldn't feed the troll but...

MS gave the impression that they actually care about the games. They've got the most powerful (console) hardware on market and simultaneous release for all exclusives on PC, so every cross-platform third party game is a win for them. They needed to prove that we weren't headed back to the PS2 era, where third-party devs often ignored everything that wasn't the PS2, not because of exclusivity agreements, but because Xbox/Gamecube porting just wasn't commercially viable. They did that.

The rumours about their commitment to gaming were squashed. They live to fight another day. Meanwhile Sony - and bear in mind that this gen I have used my PS4 far more than the other consoles - are falling back into that late-PS2-era kind of smugness that led to the tone-deaf launch of the PS3.

And Nintendo are lapsing, after a brief period of relevance, back into comfortable crapness.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2018 23:31:43 15,211 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What are you taking about? Care about the games? They're not making any other than Gears Halo and Forza. I used to be a big xbox nonce in the 360 days but they're a million miles away from Sony this gen. Care about the games?

Edited by Decks at 23:32:15 12-06-2018
  • Your-Mother 12 Jun 2018 23:33:11 1,854 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Care about the games
    Hairy's new website.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Jun 2018 23:35:09 1,641 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Don't care about securing the data
  • XtraCheese 12 Jun 2018 23:35:51 72 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @XtraCheese I know I shouldn't feed the troll but...

MS gave the impression that they actually care about the games. They've got the most powerful (console) hardware on market and simultaneous release for all exclusives on PC, so every cross-platform third party game is a win for them. They needed to prove that we weren't headed back to the PS2 era, where third-party devs often ignored everything that wasn't the PS2, not because of exclusivity agreements, but because Xbox/Gamecube porting just wasn't commercially viable. They did that.

The rumours about their commitment to gaming were squashed. They live to fight another day. Meanwhile Sony - and bear in mind that this gen I have used my PS4 far more than the other consoles - are falling back into that late-PS2-era kind of smugness that led to the tone-deaf launch of the PS3.

And Nintendo are lapsing, after a brief period of
    relevance, back into comfortable crapness.
    They gave the impression they care about the games, but they’ve been unwilling to invest all generation on core dev teams to support new content on their system?

If you can correlate Sony’s ‘smugness’ to providing an unmatched level of quality in their software proposition then I think I quite like smug Sony.

Having the most powerful console on the market is not enough in this day and age. I could go out and spend 2 grand on a PC, but if the PC didn’t have any interesting games to play on it there would be no point would there?

Slightly shinier graphics on third party offerings does not equate to better value compared with the huge catalogue of exclusives Song has knocked out the park this gen.
  • Your-Mother 12 Jun 2018 23:36:04 1,854 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    All About Russian Botfarms
  • JiveHound 12 Jun 2018 23:40:38 9,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    Quick thoughts?
    Are you a slow reader?

:D
  • minky-kong 12 Jun 2018 23:43:01 13,808 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    XtraCheese wrote:
    and that’s coming from someone who’s far from a Sony fanboy.
    Get to fuck you absolute blim.
    Best laugh I've had from this whole thread.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2018 23:47:04 3,867 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    What are you taking about? Care about the games? They're not making any other than Gears Halo and Forza. I used to be a big xbox nonce in the 360 days but they're a million miles away from Sony this gen. Care about the games?
    They gave pretty much the whole presentation - their highest profile air-time of the year - over to a litany of new games. Some of them exclusive, some not. But they covered the range of genres, catered to a mix of tastes and they do - at the premium end of the price-spectrum - have the most powerful console available (and far cheaper than a gaming PC) and hence the best means of playing those games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no MS fanboy. I've been seriously underwhelmed by the XB1 and consider the money I spent on it - and on the later XB1X - spectacularly poorly spent given I have a decent gaming PC. But their presentation actually kept my interest and gave me a few things to look forward to. Chances are I'll buy most/all of the games featured that I'm going to buy on PC rather than XB1. But still better than Sony's. Ultimately, I don't actually like exclusivity much. I like playing games with as few technical limitations as possible. If nothing else, there was a welcome touch of humility to their presentation. A far cry from 2013's "OMG TV! OMG SPORTS! fiasco.

Death Stranding looks like a hot mess and TLoU2 looks like another exercise in frustrated TV-miniseries producers settling for making a second-rate game instead (i.e. typical Naughty Dog fare).
  • XtraCheese 12 Jun 2018 23:54:53 72 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    They gave pretty much the whole presentation - their highest profile air-time of the year - over to a litany of new games. Some of them exclusive, some not. But they covered the range of genres, catered to a mix of tastes and they do - at the premium end of the price-spectrum - have the most powerful console available (and far cheaper than a gaming PC) and hence the best means of playing those games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no MS fanboy. I've been seriously underwhelmed by the XB1 and consider the money I spent on it - and on the later XB1X - spectacularly poorly spent given I have a decent gaming PC. But their presentation actually kept my interest and gave me a few things to look forward to. Chances are I'll buy most/all of the games featured that I'm going to buy on PC rather than XB1. But still better than Sony's. Ultimately, I don't actually like exclusivity much. I like playing games with as few technical limitations as possible. If nothing else, there was a welcome touch of humility to their presentation. A far cry from 2013's "OMG TV! OMG SPORTS! fiasco.

Death Stranding looks like a hot mess and TLoU2 looks like another exercise in frustrated TV-miniseries producers settling for making a second-rate game instead (i.e. typical Naughty Dog fare).
    ‘I don’t like exclusivity’ he says.

Are you telling me you don’t like the look of any of Sony’s upcoming or previous exclusives over the past year, and you’d rather play assassins creed with slightly shinier graphics and frame rate on your Xbox One X?

It’s sad to see really, that Microsoft have just thrown a
    load of mud at the wall with the X and thought.. ‘shit we haven’t put the foundations in place to release first party content this gen.. erm shall we just make a more powerful box than Sony??’

We should be applauding new IPs like Death Stranding. Who the fuck wants the same gears of war game after 7 years?

Edited by XtraCheese at 23:56:08 12-06-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jun 2018 00:01:23 3,867 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @XtraCheese I'd give my right arm for Bloodborne on PC. PS4 hardware - even the Pro - could never really run it properly and it held the game back in places. Given the choice, I would always play a game on the platform that offered the best experience in terms of technical performance, input options and social tools. Given I can afford a decent gaming PC, that's generally PC for me. If I couldn't afford a decent gaming PC, it would be the most powerful console on the market.

Exclusivity doesn't float my boat. I know it's a commercial necessity. That console manufacturers typically make - at best - a small profit on hardware (and more commonly break even or take a loss) and that they put out exclusives to grow the user-base to attract more third parties, who in turn pay the fees/sales-shares that the real profit comes from. But as a customer, it does me no favours.

I'd applaud Death Stranding if I thought for a moment it would be any good. Instead it looks like a pretentious pile of shite. Third party developers are just as capable of producing pretentious piles of shite as first-party.
  • JiveHound 13 Jun 2018 00:05:11 9,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be fair it's not the PS4 hardware that's the problem. From are notoriously bad at optimising.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.