Following E3 2018 Page 38

Next Last
  • JiveHound 13 Jun 2018 00:06:48 9,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shenmue 3 and FF7 remake have disappeared again, anyone else notice or care now that the initial OMG reveals have happened?

Edited by JiveHound at 00:07:23 13-06-2018
  • XtraCheese 13 Jun 2018 00:08:15 110 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @XtraCheese I'd give my right arm for Bloodborne on PC. PS4 hardware - even the Pro - could never really run it properly and it held the game back in places. Given the choice, I would always play a game on the platform that offered the best experience in terms of technical performance, input options and social tools. Given I can afford a decent gaming PC, that's generally PC for me. If I couldn't afford a decent gaming PC, it would be the most powerful console on the market.

Exclusivity doesn't float my boat. I know it's a commercial necessity. That console manufacturers typically make - at best - a small profit on hardware (and more commonly break even or take a loss) and that they put out exclusives to grow the user-base to attract more third parties, who in turn pay the fees/sales-shares that the real profit comes from. But as a customer, it does me no favours.

I'd applaud Death Stranding if I thought for a moment it
    would be any good. Instead it looks like a pretentious pile of shite. Third party developers are just as capable of producing pretentious piles of shite as first-party.
    At the end of the day the games speak for themselves.

Why on earth do I care about getting a few extra FPS on the latest FIFA when I could be sat in my pants eating kinder buenos playing the new God Of War or Spiderman?

Edited by XtraCheese at 00:10:19 13-06-2018
  • JiveHound 13 Jun 2018 00:17:20 9,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What have your pants got to do with anything? Do I have to wear a suit to be worthy of the extra pixels on Xbox x?
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Jun 2018 00:23:25 2,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Ooh, lahdidah Mr I-Can-Afford-Two-Layers-Of-Bottoms
  • JiveHound 13 Jun 2018 00:33:32 9,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bought an X, I can't afford clothes now. I'm outraged that I can't sit in squalor and play
    witcher 3 in 60fps

Edited by JiveHound at 00:33:48 13-06-2018
  • ChiefGB 13 Jun 2018 02:16:05 9,425 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For me sony's content is streets ahead yet again, actual tangible experiences shown this year in an e3 where everyone's content was revealed at the speed of light (nintys indulgent 30 min smash bore-a-thon aside) just leaving me cold.

It also helped that sonys games where all technically incredible, real top drawer stuff.
    Even xbox's reveals looked the same as ever from what was shown, halo is always just halo when master chief can't really get much more detailed, and gears style looked the same as ever. horizon looked like all the others,although they are great. The 60 fps is interesting (although I'm assuming it will be a performance mode option).
  • Dirtbox 13 Jun 2018 04:24:32 90,864 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sony won the banjo and flute solos this year.
  • JoelStinty 13 Jun 2018 08:20:29 6,859 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Shenmue 3 and FF7 remake have disappeared again, anyone else notice or care now that the initial OMG reveals have happened?
    Shenmune 3 did have a update a few months or so back in case you missed it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-26-new-shenmue-3-screenshots-show-more-dead-eyed-faces

Delayed till next year but Shenmue 1 & 2 are being remastered
  • warlockuk 13 Jun 2018 10:46:00 19,485 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    The last I heard from Kickstarter, it moved to a 2019 release date.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Jun 2018 10:59:21 4,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And the FF7 remake is looking like a bit of a production catastrophe so far. For a good while (until S-E got caught) quite a lot of production was being outsourced to CyberConnect2, a small-scale studio best known for producing low-budget anime adaptations. Since then, they've brought things back in house but there have been continued rumblings that they've struggled to keep a consistent team working on it.

Plus they've apparently gone for a Dissidia-lite combat style that precisely nobody seemed to want and look set to go for Generic Grimdark as the tone, ignoring a lot of the lighter touches and eccentricities from the original game that gave it some of its charm.

They may turn it around yet. The work S-E did to recover FF14 between the disaster of the 1.0 launch and the roaring success of A Realm Reborn is a reminder if just what they can do when they try. But all signs so far around the FF7 remake point to disaster (not least the blatant decision to hide it at E3).
  • ChiefGB 13 Jun 2018 11:06:19 9,425 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Sony won the banjo and flute solos this year.
    Yeah ok, so I had kind of blocked them out, like some kind of emotional trauma.
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Jun 2018 11:06:57 7,618 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This has been one of the poorest E3's I can remember for quite some time for me. Only real surprise titles were Resi 2 and Elder Scrolls 6. I'm a sucker for Sony first party titles, Forza aside Microsoft doesn't do anything for me / have a PC anyway and Nintendo's direct was diabolical.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 13 Jun 2018 11:18:47 1,619 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, but nothing was seen of it.
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Jun 2018 11:36:41 7,618 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear It was, but it's been widely assumed it was facing the same development hell as the FF7 remake
  • KRadiation 13 Jun 2018 11:41:35 1,361 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I quite liked this years E3. very little annoying cheesy cringe worthy shit.

Xbox had a bunch of games worth taking note of.
    ps4 again the same
    Nintendo had their usual since and repeat titles that aren't exactly on par with last year's whoa! games but still nice.

a bunch of nice looking 3rd party games were shown or announced.

I'd have liked more surprises yeah. it all felt a little low key this year. a bit relaxed.
    But they've given me far more games to mull over multiplatform this year than previously.
    juat difficult now working out what to buy and what to leave for later.
  • JoelStinty 13 Jun 2018 12:09:47 6,859 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah i think i enjoyed this year show more than others seems. 2019 is going to be a fantastic year. Sure, there were no surprises (resi 2 was nice though) but i think that is just the way things work now. Leaks are going to happen so games can get air time.

Loads of third parties titles that look interesting, Sony have the exclusives and Nintendo, whilst i never played smash and pokemon, the conference was disappointing, but they have a tendency to drop announcements and their be other directs where there will be something for me. Indies will tie me over on the switch. Also the Xenobloade, splatoon and Mario Rabbids DLC look really substantial as well and will be picking each of them up.

And as it is, i probably won't be gaming from Oct till next May anyway. So.
  • JoelStinty 13 Jun 2018 12:11:43 6,859 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Ssssh. :D
  • rwklau 14 Jun 2018 01:07:01 100 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    https://youtu.be/RfDTMa8jJG4
  • Dombat 14 Jun 2018 08:02:30 1,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There was plenty there across the conferences I'm looking forward to or at least curious about. Nearly all 2019 and beyond, but between my backlog, current finances and the 10 game challenge I'm fine with not buying much this year. 2018 always looked like a down year to me.
  • Rhaegyr 14 Jun 2018 09:03:26 4,611 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty decent E3 I thought - especially when I have each console but only play around 10 games a year in total.
  • Vortex808 14 Jun 2018 09:49:56 12,713 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No thread for metro exodus by the looks of it, but I watched some EG you tube footage and am now suitably excited for it.

Shame I didn't finish last light due to it coming right at the end of last gen, I should possibly pick up the redux version before exodus to get up to speed. Or possibly, just read a wiki plot update!

Edited by Vortex808 at 09:50:08 14-06-2018
  • Bichii 14 Jun 2018 09:55:26 770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Vortex808 was there a release date?
  • Vortex808 14 Jun 2018 10:16:24 12,713 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feb 19 I think. No doubt, that same day where ALL the feb games are being released!
  • richardiox 14 Jun 2018 11:19:13 7,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    No thread for metro exodus by the looks of it, but I watched some EG you tube footage and am now suitably excited for it.

Shame I didn't finish last light due to it coming right at the end of last gen, I should possibly pick up the redux version before exodus to get up to speed. Or possibly, just read a wiki plot update!
    Get the redux! Super cheap (and on game pass) and 1080p60 to boot. Great game.
  • crashVoodoo 15 Jun 2018 10:34:36 6,022 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've just watched the Ghosts of Matsushita and that looks like it might be up my street. I'll be keeping an eye on that one as it progresses..
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Jun 2018 10:13:46 7,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    BBC verdict: the Gamergate bigots have lost

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44504344

The incels and MRAs crying in the comments only goes to confirm that the tide has turned on their desperate thrashing against decency.
  • Technoishmatt 16 Jun 2018 10:46:57 2,871 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well written piece.
  • Cappy 16 Jun 2018 11:13:40 13,916 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    And the FF7 remake is looking like a bit of a production catastrophe so far. For a good while (until S-E got caught) quite a lot of production was being outsourced to CyberConnect2, a small-scale studio best known for producing low-budget anime adaptations. Since then, they've brought things back in house but there have been continued rumblings that they've struggled to keep a consistent team working on it.

Plus they've apparently gone for a Dissidia-lite combat style that precisely nobody seemed to want and look set to go for Generic Grimdark as the tone, ignoring a lot of the lighter touches and eccentricities from the original game that gave it some of its charm.

They may turn it around yet. The work S-E did to recover FF14 between the disaster of the 1.0 launch and the roaring success of A Realm Reborn is a reminder if just what they can do when they try. But all signs so far around the FF7 remake point to disaster (not least the blatant decision to hide it at E3).
    Perhaps Square Enix have changed their minds again? A couple of years ago they'd decided that episodic was the way forward with Hitman as the first big foray into that area. Of there it didn't go as well as expected and an episodic format was already looking like old hat, loot boxes had become the trend to latch onto.

Maybe they've retooled the game and taken the episodic structure out? Considering that there are no real advantages for the consumer is was always a tail wagging the dog scenario. It would get some negative reactions even with the Final Fantasy VII brand carrying the game.

The worst part of that scenario is that now they'll be free to think up an entirely different way to mess things up. Late to the party on loot boxes and microtransaction next? Then having to pull an EA and switch them off.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.