Following Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Page 148

• Bichii 10 May 2019 13:58:00 1,855 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hardest to easiest.

Nioh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ds1>ds2>sekiro>b.b>ds3.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 May 2019 14:00:34 6,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bichii Nioh caused me absolute agonies when I first tried it on PS4 and I ditched it before the half way point. Then I came back to the PC version when that came out and somehow just clicked with it. It was still a tough game, but I was sailing through content that had brickwalled me first time around.

But my longest two brickwalls in Soulsborne history remain DS1's Four Kings and Bloodborne's Cursed Amygdala. Nothing else even close to those two.
  • Mr_Sleep 10 May 2019 14:02:13 22,733 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think DS1 was by far the hardest for me as I knew nothing and didn't have the right skill set going in. People forget how different it was and how awkward it was right from the start.

I spoke to a friend who tried it out once and from his description it sounds like he tried to take on the very first boss, repeatedly. I fortunately found the exit quickly but it is entirely possible to just think it is a boss arena and that is it.
  • Bichii 10 May 2019 14:04:28 1,855 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I remember hairy arse trying to complete Ds. Took him about 200 hours even with my help. :) :). And no I wasn't the reason it took so long.
  • Addy__ 10 May 2019 14:13:29 1,092 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Nioh was piss easy compared to the souls games.

Hardest to easiest for me is:

DeS > Sekiro> DS1> BB> DS2>DS3

Why are the surge and lords of the fallen in this mix? Aren't they supposed to be total dogshit? I only played an hour of fallen and hated it. The surge doesn't look as bad.
  • Addy__ 10 May 2019 14:16:19 1,092 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Bichii Nioh caused me absolute agonies when I first tried it on PS4 and I ditched it before the half way point. Then I came back to the PC version when that came out and somehow just clicked with it. It was still a tough game, but I was sailing through content that had brickwalled me first time around.

But my longest two brickwalls in Soulsborne history remain DS1's Four Kings and Bloodborne's Cursed Amygdala. Nothing else even close to those two.
    Ornstein and Smough for me on DS1. I just couldn't fucking do it for ages. Four kings I actually aced fairly quick. Vicar of Dibley on BB gave me bad dreams as well for some reason.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 May 2019 14:18:35 7,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nioh went from bastard hard to one of the easiest about a third of the way through and then went bastard hard again at the end.

Dark souls was the most difficult during my first play through but once beaten lost almost all of its bite.
  • wuntyphyve 10 May 2019 14:35:59 12,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dark Souls was nails up to O&S. I just remember after that smashing everything else into the ground with my Great Scythe.

BB was hardest for me I think, then Sekiro. But it's difficult as each game has bastard hard moments like the DLCs of DS2 & 3. Hardest individual moment is probably the Frigid Outskirts and the Lud / Zallen fight in the Ivory King DS2 DLC. Then maybe Hamlet / Kos from BB. Then Ringed City / Gael from DS3 DLC.
  • Bichii 10 May 2019 14:40:16 1,855 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pretty much every single area of BB dlc was nails. I'd breeze through the main game then even right at the start of the dlc it's like you went into the settings and changed it from normal to ultra nightmare, skipping hard and nightmare modes.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 May 2019 14:43:02 6,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:

Why are the surge and lords of the fallen in this mix? Aren't they supposed to be total dogshit? I only played an hour of fallen and hated it. The surge doesn't look as bad.
    Lords of the Fallen is poor. I wouldn't go as far as "total dogshit", but it is not good. Clunky controls, poor area design, boring bosses, unsatisfying combat and rampant stability problems. But hey, it's a full-fledged 3d Soulslike.

The Surge is much, much better. It's small by the standards of the genre, but very nicely formed with a lovely flow to its combat. It only has five bosses, but each of them is a) memorable and b) a total and utter bastard.
  • wuntyphyve 10 May 2019 14:44:15 12,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm I abandoned The Surge midway through. It's still installed. I may go back to it. I quite liked it.
  • Rhaegyr 10 May 2019 14:47:26 4,772 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My personal stumbling blocks;

Flamelurker
    Ornstein & Smough
    Rom
    Orphan of Kos
    Nameless King

In some weird way they're all my favourite fights too (except Rom, fuck that).
  • Addy__ 10 May 2019 14:49:55 1,092 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    My personal stumbling blocks;

Flamelurker
    Ornstein & Smough
    Rom
    Orphan of Kos
    Nameless King

In some weird way they're all my favourite fights too (except Rom, fuck that).
    Flamelurker definitely takes the award for earliest in the game stumbling block. Fuck me it's end boss material.
  • Bichii 10 May 2019 14:51:05 1,855 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rom is a prick. I hate pretty much any from boss that has multiple enemies.

Orphan
    O&s
    Last boss on sekiro
    First hunter (first time I played BB)
    Last boss ds1 until I learnt to parry.
    Can't remember struggling much on ds2 and 3 anywhere. I loved all the bosses on 2s dlc. That dragon and fume knight were awesome.
  • Addy__ 10 May 2019 14:51:26 1,092 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:

Lords of the Fallen is poor. I wouldn't go as far as "total dogshit", but it is not good. Clunky controls, poor area design, boring bosses, unsatisfying combat and rampant stability problems. But hey, it's a full-fledged 3d Soulslike.

The Surge is much, much better. It's small by the standards of the genre, but very nicely formed with a lovely flow to its combat. It only has five bosses, but each of them is a) memorable and b) a total and utter bastard.
    The surge is by the same devs as Lotf isn't it? It does look better and does get far better reviews. I might shop around for a cheap steam key. Infact I'll check steam first to make sure I don't already own it :)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 May 2019 15:00:08 6,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Addy__ Yeah, they learned a lot from the mistakes of LotF and The Surge is a very different game. As I say, it is the smallest of the Soulslikes (my first playthrough was just over 20 hours), but it is well crafted. The main hub area, Central Production B, is one of those lovely, looping three-dimensional labyrinths that you see in the better From Software games. It also does the DS2 thing of mixing up enemy placements and adding supercharged enemies in NG+.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 May 2019 15:06:08 7,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Rom is a prick. I hate pretty much any from boss that has multiple enemies.

Orphan
    O&s
    Last boss on sekiro
    First hunter (first time I played BB)
    Last boss ds1 until I learnt to parry.
    Can't remember struggling much on ds2 and 3 anywhere. I loved all the bosses on 2s dlc. That dragon and fume knight were awesome.
    Oh man... Gehrman, i spent an entire morning on that boss, getting constantly killed until i read online about using the gun, something i hadn't bothered with outside of the first 40 minutes of trying to use it like a gun and going... this is shit.

My personal hurdles

Gehrman
    Ludwig
    BsB
    Last boss in Sekiro
    Sens Fortress
    Darkeater Midir
    Nameless King

Honestly, all the bosses give me a bit of grief in the beginning but i usually beat after an hour or so, these ones were just head bangingly difficult for me.

Oh and if you include Nioh

That samurai with the electric poodle
    The she witch in the second level

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 15:07:49 10-05-2019
  • Bichii 10 May 2019 15:06:29 1,855 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can we stop talking lords and surge. I've played both and shouldn't be even in the same convo as FROM games :).
  • JonFE 10 May 2019 15:09:26 1,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have to be honest, for me every FROM game is about dying and dying and dying, over and over again. Masochist, I know, but it usually takes me ages to progress and I wouldn't have it any other way - it's part of the charm. I believe I've said it before, but one new FROM game and an expansion for it could probably fill my gaming needs for a couple of years.

Sekiro is certainly no exception, especially since I'm still not familiar with its systems and combat flow.
  • Bichii 10 May 2019 15:23:35 1,855 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I too have to be honest. I think I need to be single, at the moment I'm getting gaming blocked way too often. He is always around!! I want to re roll ds3, BB and sekiro plus I stopped nioh about 1/3 in.
  • sid92 10 May 2019 18:36:11 3,480 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't believe Fume Knight hasn't come up, that fucker was a beast!

Loved DS2 dlc, absolutely nailed it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 May 2019 18:50:46 6,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Can we stop talking lords and surge. I've played both and shouldn't be even in the same convo as FROM games :).
    I'd flip that around and say that I don't think that Sekiro should be in the same convo as the Soulsborne games or The Surge. :p
  • Addy__ 10 May 2019 19:09:00 1,092 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Been looking at some surge footage. It looks like you can target parts of the body to attack. Does this mean you could pick up armour or mix and match it? Are there even build options?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 May 2019 19:26:55 6,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Been looking at some surge footage. It looks like you can target parts of the body to attack. Does this mean you could pick up armour or mix and match it? Are there even build options?
    Yeah, pretty much. You get gear by targetting enemy body parts. Enemies have six different body parts (head, torso, two arms, two legs). Most enemies (until you face elites late in the game) have armour on only some of those parts. Target an unarmoured body part and your hits do more damage, but you get no gear for killing the enemy. Target an armoured part and you get a crafting mat that lets you make that type of gear for that body part (torso is a pain because hits there don't do much damage). So it's a risk/reward mechanism - faster kills vs loots.

Build options are down to a combination of armour and implants. Armour divides into light/medium/heavy types, each of which gives you a balance of durability vs stamina. Implants give you bonuses like more healing options, health restored on deathblows and so on. Some implants will go better with different types of armour.

Also, there's a set bonus for wearing a full loadout of one type of armour.
  • Addy__ 10 May 2019 20:12:29 1,092 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Rogueywon

Sounds pretty good and a bit different. Will definitely check it out.
  • Blackmarsh63 10 May 2019 20:16:56 2,504 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agree. The Surge is decent. It's on Gamepass next week for anyone interested.
  • ChiefGB 10 May 2019 20:21:28 11,053 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sooooo......armoured warrior is a bit of a twat. Is that what that spear move is for.

Nm hes toast.

Edited by ChiefGB at 21:05:35 10-05-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 May 2019 21:05:49 6,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Sooooo......armoured warrior is a bit of a twat. Is that what that spear move is for.
    No. You need to build him up to stagger when he is over near the edge of the area, then knock him off with a deathblow when he is staggered.

Easy in principle, bit of a bastard to actually execute.
  • damagedinc 10 May 2019 21:24:04 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shinobi owl I am your father bollocks my new road block
  • wuntyphyve 10 May 2019 21:38:41 12,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sid92 wrote:
    Can't believe Fume Knight hasn't come up, that fucker was a beast!

Loved DS2 dlc, absolutely nailed it.
    But an incredibly fun beast. One of the bosses I most enjoyed learning in fact. Hard but fair.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.