Following Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Page 149

• SweetMrGibs 10 May 2019 21:53:04 1,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My personal stumbling blocks, in order...

When I load up one of the aforementioned games and am required to show a modicum of skill.
  • sid92 10 May 2019 22:03:20 3,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    sid92 wrote:
    Can't believe Fume Knight hasn't come up, that fucker was a beast!

Loved DS2 dlc, absolutely nailed it.
    But an incredibly fun beast. One of the bosses I most enjoyed learning in fact. Hard but fair.
    Yup absolutely. The way he slowed his swing speed with the greatsword always threw me off.

Old iron king dlc is second only to the Old hunters imo. Loved it!

Edited by sid92 at 22:04:12 10-05-2019
  • wuntyphyve 10 May 2019 22:34:38 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah me too man. Utterly brilliant.
  • Trafford 12 May 2019 08:58:55 8,334 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can feel myself loosing the will to finish this off. Caught between either Owl Father or those 2 7 Spears warriors at Ashina night to progress.
    Think my playthrough time is about 200 hours of slow but enjoyable progress.

What doesn't help is that I've just bought Dark Souls 3 complete edition. Thinking
    that I prefer the early game explorations of these games rather than the late game controller throwing.

*Edit 7 spears mk 2 is down. Onwards!

Edited by Trafford at 09:25:01 12-05-2019
  • Rodderz 12 May 2019 11:33:36 3,920 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    *Edit 7 spears mk 2 is down. Onwards!
    😁 Nice one Trafford! If you've killed 7 spears part 2 (the one that had a Samurai standing with him in the Ashina Reservoir area) then you're so very close to the end of the game now. However, that also means you're uncomfortably close to the toughest challenge the game has to throw at you. Be prepared to die... A lot 😜!
  • Trafford 12 May 2019 12:56:24 8,334 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rodderz

Cheers pal, I will persevere for now.
    Desperately don't want to shelve this as I know the muscle memory will go and I won't return.
  • HarryPalmer 12 May 2019 21:24:59 5,838 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Owl Father and Corrupted Monk down. The former is a great, great fight. Fountainhead Palace is one of their best areas imo.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 May 2019 21:41:26 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @HarryPalmer Fountainhead Palace is the one area in the game that approaches Souls levels of area design quality.
  • Trafford 12 May 2019 22:34:52 8,334 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice one Harry.
    I gave up on Owl Father and think I'm now up against the final boss.
    Had an afternoon getting the final two beads from mini bosses in Ashina castle at night after consulting a guide. Quite chuffed with that, I never collect everything in a game ever.
  • ChiefGB 12 May 2019 23:31:00 10,498 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, Iíve taken down GA2 and mate tonight, and snake eyes before them, been mooching around the forest but Iím done for now.
  • HarryPalmer 12 May 2019 23:33:02 5,838 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good stuff, yeah this game has really got its teeth into me. Not looking forward to final boss though from what I hear.

I found OF really hard until something just clicked and I could start to see openings in most of his attacks. Second phase is much easier too.
  • OllyJ 13 May 2019 09:02:49 4,462 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I need help, I'm on Ashina SwordSaint, I can do Genny and the first form kinda ok, sometimes I make a silly mistake, but I'm confident I will be able to get them aggressive style no problem soon.

But I can't spend enough time on the Spear phase to work it out, I need some survival tips and some strategy, how did you get this guy done?
  • Rodderz 13 May 2019 10:17:14 3,920 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @OllyJ

OllyJ wrote:
    I need help, I'm on Ashina SwordSaint, I can do Genny and the first form kinda ok, sometimes I make a silly mistake, but I'm confident I will be able to get them aggressive style no problem soon.

But I can't spend enough time on the Spear phase to work it out, I need some survival tips and some strategy, how did you get this guy done?
    I feel your pain. That's my one big issue with this fight, it really didn't feel like you were given much opportunity to learn his later movesets because of the way the fight was structured to be one phase after another, after another, there's just no respite! I quite often died at part 3 and then had to struggle back through parts 1&2 again just to get back to spear phase, then die again /o\.

Anyway, eventually I had to resort to the tried and tested wuntyphyve 'runomatic 5000ô' technique. Essentially run around in a big circle like a loon and when Isshin does his leaping move followed by thrusting forward, try to time your run so you angle yourself to be roughly behind him and slash him once then leg it again. Repeat 5000 times till victory 😂. There are others in here that have done vastly better than that, so hopefully someone will pop by with a better strategy!
  • Trafford 13 May 2019 11:08:49 8,334 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Runomatic 5000 sounds like a plan 👍
  • neems 13 May 2019 11:09:59 4,543 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @OllyJ

In some ways the spear stage is actually easier, as he doesn't have those long range attacks with the mortal blade anymore. Be prepared to block his AOE attacks with the umbrella (you won't take any damage) and basically stay on him, applying pressure. Watch out for his incredibly suspicious gun (you can parry the shots if you're feeling confident) and trade blows / parries until he either does a leaping attack - dodge sideways once he's in the air, punish it when he lands - or goes for a thrust, which is very easy to Mekiri counter.
  • Nanocrystal 13 May 2019 11:11:06 1,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hehe that's exacty how I beat the fucker.

Edit: Runomatic I mean. :)

Edited by Nanocrystal at 11:11:47 13-05-2019
  • OllyJ 13 May 2019 11:34:47 4,462 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @neems Yeah that sounds like how I would like to do it, but don't get enough time with him to learn those moves, so it's just a panic.

Runomatic 5000 sounds good, so you don't parry the follow up sword strike, just run round it?
  • neems 13 May 2019 11:41:02 4,543 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @OllyJ

If I might be so bold?

Spear stage starts about 4 minutes in.
  • mumtoucher 13 May 2019 11:57:05 609 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @OllyJ I couldn't get the 'Runomatic' tactic to work for me, in the end, I actually learnt all the moves over the course of my 8 hour struggle with him!

I kept mid distance from him trying to bait his jump attack, then dodge forward at the last moment and strike twice and back off, with the mikiri moves only ever hit him twice on those too.

You'll get him, it is possible to keep him in the second form for a while if you keep attacking him relentlessly after the second deathblow. you can shave a bit off doing that which helps.
  • Mr_Sleep 13 May 2019 13:03:56 22,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @mumtoucher if you are lucky like me you can keep his first moveset going for the entirety of the second phase. I bet they have patched that though.

Runomatic never worked for me either, pressure followed by more pressure won the day. A lot is b lockable and you can bait combos and run out of range while he does loads of extravagant stuff, good time to heal too.
  • wuntyphyve 13 May 2019 16:23:39 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I stand by the Runomatic 5000. It's the housewife's choice.
  • Hog-lumps 13 May 2019 16:45:05 1,057 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Sooooo......armoured warrior is a bit of a twat. Is that what that spear move is for.
    No. You need to build him up to stagger when he is over near the edge of the area, then knock him off with a deathblow when he is staggered.

Easy in principle, bit of a bastard to actually execute.
    Oh, that's how your meant to kill him - I was worried I cheesed him by accident when it happened during my second attempt without attempting to do that!
  • TrueSpins 13 May 2019 19:39:45 37 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I keep meaning to pick this up. Loved all the Souls games plus Bloodborne. The only thing putting me off is that the environments all look a bit samey. Does the game mix things up a little as you progress?
  • Rodderz 13 May 2019 21:33:57 3,920 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TrueSpins wrote:
    I keep meaning to pick this up. Loved all the Souls games plus Bloodborne. The only thing putting me off is that the environments all look a bit samey. Does the game mix things up a little as you progress?
    Yeah there's definitely variety in the locations, some are actually quite colourful for a From game. You do return to certain locations a few times though, specifically an area associated around the main story, but there's a decent amount of exploration to be had and areas to unlock as you work your way through.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 May 2019 23:11:33 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TrueSpins wrote:
    It's a valid concern. The only really different environment comes very late in the game. Like Nioh, it's a bit samey - oh look, another Sengoku-Era castle...
  • quadfather 14 May 2019 00:34:08 34,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Get you :)
  • OllyJ 14 May 2019 08:05:04 4,462 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've somehow, got WORSE at the final boss now. like, I died 10 times to fucking arsehat Genny in a row.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........screams forever.
  • neems 14 May 2019 10:26:03 4,543 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @OllyJ

Everybody goes through that phase, it means you no longer consider him a threat but you're getting careless in your rush to get past him.

You've got this Olly. We believe in you.
  • OllyJ 14 May 2019 17:48:44 4,462 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And that's why I hate him so very much.
  • robc84 14 May 2019 19:51:42 13,524 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really struggling to find the motivation to go back to this at the moment. I think itís the extremely slow progress and constant roadblocks. It really doesnít seem to be a game that suits short play sessions. Feels like it needs a few proper sessions to make decent progress.

May have a go tonight, but feel I may be better going back to RDR2 as itís easier to play and enjoy (despite the clunky controls). My fear is that I will then lose what little sekiro skills I have learned and struggle when going back to it. First world problems at their worst, I know.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.