Following Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Page 159

• Gibroon 17 Feb 2020 16:53:31 2,282 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I might check that out later. I generally would do sections without help but FC is really good at showing which sections to do in which order and would be a 100% run through.

It's even more satisfying after doing a section/boss and seeing you did it better than himself :)

Didn't happen often though, haha.
  • ultra-Esther 27 Feb 2020 09:22:25 1 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The basic structure of the game is where the similarities to Dark Souls are most apparent. Youíre still progressing through an unfamiliar land with little guidance, suffering a heavy penalty when you die and resurrect at a checkpoint MyPrepaidCenter

Edited by ultra-Esther at 04:08:13 29-02-2020
  • retro74 27 Feb 2020 10:19:08 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had a little go of this for the first time yesterday. Beat the General, which was actually quite hard as I still didn't understand the mechanics too well at that point

Got to the bit with an Ogre but ran off to the nearest shrine thing and went back to the temple at the start. Now I'm in a memory from 3 years ago and have left it there after dispatching all the initial mobs and killing a fish

Not sure what to make of it, the combat is beautifully structured with a real 'one mistake and you are dead' feel, it's incredibly tense. However I'm not sure I'm good enough to make progress when it inevitably gets tough. I found Souls and BB quite easy but only because you can make them easier by careful management of your character and using the right strategy

This feels like you need to be genuinely skillful to progress
  • TommyUnderwear 27 Feb 2020 10:23:21 292 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @retro74 I can see why you feel that way as I hit a few walls on my play through. Persevere and you will see that you end up knowing the fights and mechanics and what were previously difficult encounters will be quite straight forward. In saying that though, I did give up right at the end. For shame.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by TommyUnderwear at 10:23:53 27-02-2020
  • retro74 27 Feb 2020 10:38:21 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TommyUnderwear That makes a lot of sense as the General fight was actually relatively easy once I understood what I was doing wrong. I think I have Souls mechanics too deeply ingrained

I didn't actually realise that you can block too. I was just parrying all the time. Even now though I don't think I'll actually bother with block, just parry and dodge
  • retro74 8 Mar 2020 21:19:53 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still making steady progress but donít have enough time in the day to fly though this

So far itís been more manageable than I expected but itís definitely harder than Souls or BB

Beat Lady Butterfly earlier today, probably the hardest fight yet - took me something like 10 attempts but did it the first time I used the peas that the npc gives you

One thing Iíve found it that I never use the prosthetics at all, I have the max 999 emblems as I always spend my spare cash on them rather potentially lose it

Do they actually come in useful at some point?
  • puddleduck 8 Mar 2020 22:29:35 1,901 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @retro74 yep the axe is used to dispatch certain types of enemy and the firecrackers can make some (most) boss fights much easier. The shuriken as well are good for just dispatching one shot enemies or knocking jumpy enemies out the air.
  • retro74 10 Mar 2020 19:35:24 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Starting to really click with this now and have managed to beat the armored warrior, centipede, lone swordsman and the seven spears dude without dying once today

I would have said first attempt but with the centipede I had to escape and run back twice to restock gourds before I'd worked him out. The others I did first attempt though

The parry window is pretty generous, especially with the Mikiri counter which is such an important ability to have
  • Trafford 10 Mar 2020 22:47:59 8,444 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I fancy a second run on this, talk of the Mikiri counter has got me going.

Some of the late prosthetic upgrades really change up the combat
  • Bichii 10 Mar 2020 23:03:25 2,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    Starting to really click with this now and have managed to beat the armored warrior, centipede, lone swordsman and the seven spears dude without dying once today

Why that is impressive, are you single?
  • retro74 11 Mar 2020 09:54:21 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bichii I thought so too, I think it was more luck than anything though. I've played through really, really slowly so the systems have had time to bed in. I've fought those blue samurai chaps so many times to practice practice practice

Had one go of Genichiro(?) this morning and beat his first stage but with only one gourd remaining - died almost immediately to shock in the next stage of the fight. That one attempt makes me think it's do-able though. Got to work now so will be tonight for that

As for your question I'm certain that if I put 'Completed all the Soulsborne games and beat 7 Spears first attempt' on a dating profile I would be inundated with interested parties. Surely I'd be fighting them off?
  • wuntyate 11 Mar 2020 09:58:34 14,513 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    As for your question I'm certain that if I put 'Completed all the Soulsborne games and beat 7 Spears first attempt' on a dating profile I would be inundated with interested parties. Surely I'd be fighting them off?
    Yes but keep an eye on your stamina.
  • retro74 11 Mar 2020 10:04:04 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @wuntyate It's all about deflection and posture for me these days wunty, stamina is old skool
  • Bichii 11 Mar 2020 19:07:59 2,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @retro74 you'd have all the ladies after you I'm sure! It's important to have a brave strong man with skillful hands.

Have you tried genchi again? Best tip is be relentless. Give him space or time and he punishes you.
  • retro74 11 Mar 2020 20:44:43 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bichii Just did him! Wow that was tense :)

Took me 8 or 9 goes though and about 35 minutes so despite my worries I must actually be quite good at this after all

You're right about relentless, I was too wary in the second phase but on my successful attempt I just attacked constantly and he was too busy trying to do his stupid lightning to stop me. Every time he tried it I knocked him out of it
  • retro74 11 Mar 2020 20:45:49 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's still on the pause screen now, I actually had 3 gourds left, never realised
  • Bichii 11 Mar 2020 20:49:09 2,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well done. I definitely took more than ten tries on my first run. Final boss took about five million attempts.
  • retro74 11 Mar 2020 20:55:09 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers, I'm not looking forward to some of the other bosses after reading this thread!

That was a great fight though, not cheap, completely fair and a lot of fun

I wish you could get the undying warrior to mimic the bosses you've beaten so you can fight them again
  • wuntyate 11 Mar 2020 22:54:04 14,513 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @retro74 Nice work. Genny is a bit of a wall and sounds like you're not having massive amounts of trouble with what has come before, so you shouldn't have many problems from here on in. A couple of fun surprises await for sure though...
  • retro74 12 Mar 2020 08:34:15 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @wuntyate cheers wunty, yeah itís tough but not too tough so hopefully Iíll be ok

Reading through this thread has been helpful as it gives you a bit of confidence to push through the bosses knowing that those that persevered got through them

Itís a game where you need to get stuck in, fail, learn, fail in a cycle before you succeed

I canít see it being one Iíll play again though like Dark Souls which I play through again and again
  • wuntyate 12 Mar 2020 08:47:03 14,513 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah It's not one that warrants replay in my opinion as I can't honestly I massively enjoyed my time with it, but I am proud of getting through it. I remember the first weekend I got it and was quite ready to give up. I brute forced my way through and I definitely struggled more than you. I think you've got the hang of it!
  • retro74 12 Mar 2020 09:28:42 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been really slow going through it though. Genichiro was about the 30 hours mark. Taking my time has allowed the parrying to really bed in, once I got to those blue samurai dudes I fought them time and time again. I know the route to stealth kill them all in my head but I purposefully aggro'd them for the practice

The amount of time spent playing really does impact skill levels on this as long as you're fighting challenging enemies rather than those chumps at the start

Other than the first day I've also never lost any money or XP as I've purposefully grinded for the skill point and spent all my moola before fighting any mini boss
  • Bichii 12 Mar 2020 09:31:55 2,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So where to next? You should have at least a couple of options. You're making me want to play again! BB and sekiro are my gaming heaven.
  • retro74 12 Mar 2020 09:40:08 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You know what I have no idea! The little guy said something or other but I wasn't paying enough attention and I think I got a key, I had a look outside and everywhere was covered with snow - not sure what's happened there but I can't remember it being covered with snow previously?

I left it there though, might have a go at lunch as WFH today
  • wuntyate 12 Mar 2020 09:51:00 14,513 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't honestly remember where you need to go after Genny ha ha but yes iirc there are two routes.

Yeah the environment changes a few times...
  • Bichii 12 Mar 2020 09:55:43 2,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @retro74 I imagine you need to visit monkey world or sniper valley? Or monk land maybe if you've not seen it.

Edited by Bichii at 09:56:40 12-03-2020
  • Bichii 12 Mar 2020 09:55:43 2,898 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • retro74 12 Mar 2020 10:18:23 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iíve done the monks and got to a big hall with some of those weird creatures in there - I donít think there was anywhere else to go from there though?

Iíll have a wander around later and see if I can use the key somewhere
  • ChiefGB 12 Mar 2020 11:19:13 12,415 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I canít remember where I am in this but Iíve done the monkey puzzle and seen a few big boys. Need to take a look but a little intimidated tbh.
  • ChiefGB 12 Mar 2020 11:20:04 12,415 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah Iím in the misty forest I think.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.